PDA

View Full Version : How do you get those color swatches?

tulabula
10-09-2011, 02:35 AM
I see people using Photoshop to pull color swatches from photos to help them determine what color they are looking for. Being Photoshop challenged LOL'How do you do that? I have tried to figure it out but I have had no luck.
Can someone point me in the right direction? It would be a useful tool for this beginner
Thanks!

Studio-1-F
10-09-2011, 12:09 PM
Hi tulabula! Could you be talking about the Eyedropper Tool? More info here. (http://help.adobe.com/en_US/Photoshop/11.0/WS03011D7E-A9AC-4202-92E5-FD5D0999CF76a.html)

Jan

robertsloan2
10-09-2011, 04:54 PM
I'm glad it's an Eyedropper tool in Photoshop too. In Gimp one of the icons is an eye dropper. Choose that, place it on the area you want to see the color, click. When you do, the color chosen for the program turns to the color of that pixel. From there it's just using Bucket Fill in a square defined with Rectangular Selection.

kaylao
10-09-2011, 08:09 PM
Hi Robert, Kayla here. Are you familiar with Apple's? I can get the eyedropper and the color of a pixel or group of pixels but don't know how to save those colors to a file or scratch paper beside my photo, (as in the post in the pastel gallery on the "am I seeing purple in the cat"). This would be such a great tool!!

Whiling away my afternoon on the computer,
Kayla

tulabula
10-09-2011, 08:24 PM
Thank You so Much Jan and Robert!

kaylao
10-09-2011, 08:36 PM
Sorry Robert for not mentioning I am using a Mac with Photoshop Elements.

Thanks so much,
Kayla

I am so glad this subject was brought up!!

tulabula
10-09-2011, 08:39 PM
I am having the same problem as Kayla! Sorry, I am no computer tech!!!

the drover's dog
10-09-2011, 09:52 PM
Follow that link on Jan's post above, then read all the comments at the bottom of the article and also follow the other links on that page that deal with the Colour Tools - and read the comments. Others have had the same problems with Apple computers and there are answers to work around this.

Dale

Ericak77
10-09-2011, 10:12 PM
I was a Mac user from 2001 to 2005, then I had to switch to PC (gaming addicted).

Now my husband who used to mock me over being a Mac fan is one himself.
So if you need any help with Photoshop on Mac let me know, I can get on his iMac and see how it works.

Carmel Campbell
10-09-2011, 10:21 PM
I would also like to know. I did a search on the web and came up with this web site ~ http://www.photoshopessentials.com/basics/custom-swatches/page-3.php

I included Mac in my search as I am also on a Mac. Hope this helps...:)

DAK723
10-09-2011, 11:35 PM
Once you use the eyedropper tool, that color becomes the active color. Once you have the active color, you can make a rectangle or use the paint bucket tool to fill a rectangular selection (When you make a rectangle with the little moving dashed lines or marquee).

If you don't want to make your rectangle within the photo or painting, you can change the canvas size. Picking the canvas size command lets you add pixels, making a new bigger picture. The new pixels can be white or any background color.

Hope this helps.

Don

robertsloan2
10-10-2011, 12:38 AM
Don, I'm glad to hear that. I was pretty sure the eyedropper tool was the same in Gimp or Photoshop. I've never tried photo manipulation on an Apple though, could never afford one.

kaylao
10-10-2011, 12:59 AM
Gosh thank you all!! Don, I got as far as getting the color within a marquee but it was in the picture....will try to move forward from there tomorrow. Feels very do able with your input :) Sometimes I get really frustrated with the amount of time it takes to become computer literate, would rather be painting.
I spent I don't know how much time cropping and resizing a pic to be an avatar pic but it will not load....I finally just stopped and took a walk....and so it goes as a silver surfer!!

Smiles,
Kayla

tulabula
10-10-2011, 02:29 AM
Bt George I think I have it! Finally!
Thanks everyone!