PDA

View Full Version : Yay I get to do a workshop with Casey Klahn

chuas2
10-06-2011, 10:19 PM
Anyone else in the SF Bay Area interested? I think there's room for one or two more students. In El Cerrito (just north of Berkeley) on November 5th and 6th.

I saw his work at the Sausalito Art Fair and really liked it. Here are a couple of his paintings. He works on LaCarte; the ones I liked were all pastel.

Chuas

His blog below:

http://www.wetcanvas.com/Community/images/06-Oct-2011/208492-Klahn_Pastel_Field_72v2.jpg http://www.wetcanvas.com/Community/images/06-Oct-2011/208492-Klahn_The_Bunkhousev2.jpg
http://thecolorist.blogspot.com/2007_03_01_archive.html

Deborah Secor
10-06-2011, 11:13 PM
I love Casey's work and would LOVE to be able to join you! Hope you have a wonderful time. It looks like a terrific workshop--love the "See Differently" premise. :wink2:

This one blows me away:
http://thecolorist.blogspot.com/2011/09/orchard-illumination-25-x-39.html
Did you see it at Sausalito? I know it was in his booth.

Enjoy!

chuas2
10-07-2011, 12:00 AM
This one blows me away:
http://thecolorist.blogspot.com/2011/09/orchard-illumination-25-x-39.html
Did you see it at Sausalito? I know it was in his booth.

Enjoy!

Yes! It was front and center, and what was drew me to his booth from 100 yards away. Absolutely stunning color! I can't wait!
:clap:

kaylao
10-07-2011, 12:18 AM
Will love to hear about your workshop!! Thanks for exposing me to Casey Klahn! I have been all over his sites tonight, what a treat:)

robertsloan2
10-07-2011, 12:56 AM
Sounds like an interesting workshop. I'm in San Francisco but I'm not going to have the money or transportation - still it's good to know that workshops get held in this area! If he comes back again next year it might be possible.

His work is beautiful, his style nothing like mine but fascinating.

allydoodle
10-07-2011, 08:47 AM
Now that looks like a great workshop Kris. Very interesting stuff, the kind of things anyone can apply to their work, no matter the style. Seems very worthwhile, I like the idea of a workshop that really opens your mind to see things differently. Have a great time, and report back to us when your through!

Studio-1-F
10-07-2011, 10:20 AM
Yay I get to do a workshop with Casey Klahn
OMG, another workshop with one of my favs! Dang. You are so lucky! I have always admired the man and his wonderful work. And I'll bet he's a good teacher as well.

Be sure to post daily reports and your work. :thumbsup: :thumbsup: :thumbsup:

Jan

water girl
10-07-2011, 01:16 PM
Be sure to post photos after your workshop. We'll be waiting to see what you learn.

Dharma_bum
10-07-2011, 02:53 PM
Turns out he lives only about 30 miles from me, but I'd never heard of him before this. Interesting blog, kind of reminds me of Wolf Kahn.

Dan

barriespapa
10-08-2011, 05:30 PM
Thanks for posting, A very interesting Blog. I am sure you will have a great workshop cant wait to hear all about it Good luck and happy painting.

David

SuzySue
10-09-2011, 12:03 PM
Oh, I wish it was the weekend before. I'll be in SF a week too early. Any thing pastelish going on the week before?

chuas2
10-09-2011, 05:32 PM
I'm in San Francisco but I'm not going to have the money or transportation

SuzySue, can you extend your stay for the weekend? This is going to be held in the home of a well known architect in the area. Should be a fabulous workshop!

Robert, I'm sort of scraping together the $$ myself, but if you can get yourself on BART, I can pick you up (in El Cerrito) and drive you to and from? Think about it!
Kris

saramathewson
10-12-2011, 06:34 PM
You are so lucky! I have been following Caseys blogs since 2007b when I really first discovered blogs and had one myself. I love his work so much and it has really evolved. would love to study under him someday. Let us know how it goes etc!

Sara

barriespapa
10-18-2011, 09:46 PM
Hi Kris patiently awaiting to hear about it .
David

chuas2
11-06-2011, 10:52 AM
Posting before I leave for Day 2 of the workshop.

Yesterday was a bit disappointing. Casey did a stunning demo, and then told us to go paint. I'm one of those people who either needs more direction or a suggestion of an image or some sort of push, and he didn't provide one.

Maybe it's because I'm a workshop newbee and wasn't prepared. Most people came with an image, or a painting to copy. I'm going back today with some.

He did treat us to a slideshow of his work, which should have been inspiration enough, I guess! Just beautiful, beautiful painting. Maybe I am not creative enough?
:confused: :(

One of his demo paintings, photo doesn't do it justice tho!

http://www.wetcanvas.com/Community/images/06-Nov-2011/208492-Casey_Klahn_Demo3.jpg

Kathryn Wilson
11-06-2011, 11:14 AM
Kris - you didn't say if this was plein air or not. I want to see what he posted and he didn't say either! Did you get an information sheet when you signed up telling you what to bring? That should be a given as he should be explaining what he intends to do, what the schedule be like and what he expects his attendees to do.

chuas2
11-06-2011, 12:21 PM
Hi Kathryn,
He did send a materials list, but it was very basic. The workshop was supposed to be part plein air, but it's been raining, so it got moved inside. I'm taking a couple books and some images and decided that I'm going to ask for direction if he doesn't give it.
Kris

Also was an agenda of sorts, but was basically "demo" "paint" "slideshow"...

Kathryn Wilson
11-06-2011, 12:27 PM
For your first workshop, I guess I might have made the same mistake, but in talking with other people taking the workshops I took, I knew to take some photos and Ann Templeton had a bunch she shared.

chuas2
11-06-2011, 08:33 PM
Back from my second day, which went much better than the first, mostly because I demanded it.

A lot of the "exercises" he gave other folks were touchy feely kinds of things like "paint a childhood family vacation," or "paint a color and then paint another color's reaction to that color..."

I told him I was a beginner and didn't understand what he wanted me to do, so he gave me the best exercise, which was a study in values (limited values) and I suddenly "got" the idea behind notans (or the real value in doing them) I have done them once in a while, but not usually. Now I think I'll do them all the time!

He also gave me the idea of desaturating photos, so not to get distracted by the color (which might be altered by the camera anyway). Well, working 50 hrs a week doesn't allow me to go out and do plein air, or even a still life, which is dead by the time I get back to it, but using the photo only as a jumping off point (I've been moving that way anyway).

We also learned about "losing" precious parts of paintings in order to benefit the whole painting. He would take tape and visually crop his pieces, taking an 8 x 10 to a 4 x 6 sometimes!

But the whole "The Colorist" thing got lost on me. I didn't learn anything about color that I didn't know already. And sometimes I felt (I hope Casey never sees this) that he so worships at the shrine of Wolf Kahn, that some of his pieces look too much like copies of Wolf Kahn paintings. But very beautiful paintings they were!

All in all, I'm glad I took the workshop and was so happy to spend some time with other artists. Hooray for workshops!
Kris

robertsloan2
11-06-2011, 10:14 PM
Looks pretty cool in the photo, Chuas. I'm surprised he didn't give you some kind of direction though, some exercises or something to try the techniques he was using. Did he critique after people got going on their paintings?

I haven't been to any workshops yet, actual in-person workshops. So I have no idea what to expect from them either. Did you ask him for help at that point?

Edit: you posted while I was posting! So glad the second day went well. It sounds like it was great. You're giving me plenty of motivation to get self supporting again so I can afford things like this. Or get into a subsidized apartment. Or both.

That's a good idea, desaturating photos. It helps a lot, especially with landscapes, lets you do color more from your imagination and memory.

Deborah Secor
11-10-2011, 11:43 PM
Looks like you had a good result (http://3.bp.blogspot.com/-C-4A43TniNI/Tri0NiVbSCI/AAAAAAAAFrc/4deO1W1zVTM/s1600/Kris%2527+Bell+Pepper.jpg), Kris! I hope that some significant thing will "stick" for you.

robertsloan2
11-11-2011, 12:31 AM
Wow! Kris, that painting is great. Love it! Seems like you had a wonderful workshop.

sketchZ1ol
11-11-2011, 07:37 AM
hello
' touchy-feely ' ? ( shudder ! )
i'm glad that you spoke up !
- too much to expect that by being in the same room ,
knowledge would be absorbed by osmosis or some such ...

i've seen Kahn's recent work in person ,
looked up Klahn on the net ,
and , yes , there are similarities , but ,
Klahn seems to push texture and colour in his own way .
- comparing W Kahn to Milton Avery would be
a more interesting discussion , imho .

sounds like you got some satisfaction from the event :)

Ed :}

chuas2
11-12-2011, 11:35 AM
Looks like you had a good result (http://3.bp.blogspot.com/-C-4A43TniNI/Tri0NiVbSCI/AAAAAAAAFrc/4deO1W1zVTM/s1600/Kris%2527+Bell+Pepper.jpg), Kris! I hope that some significant thing will "stick" for you.

LOL! Where did you get that picture? I had no idea that photo was out there, too funny!! :lol: