PDA

View Full Version : detail and pan pastels?

zedek
10-06-2011, 06:41 PM
i have yet to try pan pastels but they seem very interesting as a dry medium combining painting techniques. has anyone used them in combination with colour shapers, SPECIFICALLY FOR APPLYING PASTEL DIRECTLY ON THE SHAPER then creating strokes? I know they have soft tools as well which seems helpful. how is the level of detail with pan pastels? :clap:

Barbara WC
10-06-2011, 11:12 PM
Seems like that technique would work, applying the pastel with a color shaper, although I haven't tried it- used to do it with oil pastels. They are very soft, kind of like makeup in a tin :)

The sofft tools are great- I'm just starting in Pans and have only done a couple of sketches, but some of the small sofft sponges allow you to get into tight spaces.

There is a really nice gallery at the Pan Pastel website you might check out:
http://panpastel.com/gallery.html

Dedrian
10-07-2011, 12:17 AM
I'm fairly new to art but I have found that once you have a good layer of pastel down (pans or otherwise), the color shapers work pretty well to get into tight spots and create some neat effects. I have rolled the pointy ones in the pan pastels and done detail work that way but you have to have a lot of patience to use this technique. I am in love with my Pans!! They add a great dimension to pastel painting and work well in combination with other pastels. The more you use them, the more you wonder how you ever did without them (IMHO) ;) The Softt tools are great to use in all sorts of ways. I am constantly learning new ways to use them.......so much fun!!

robertsloan2
10-07-2011, 12:50 AM
I think that technique can work. One of the tools they offer is a Firm Colour Shaper with Flat knife covers slid onto the tip. I tried this when I bought it and found out the cover needs to be slit up to where the head goes over the tip, it won't stretch enough to go all the way down onto the wide wooden handle.

So that gives you a Sofft cover with a softer chisel base inside it. I've found that the Flat (rectangle) knife will do details well, so will the small Applicator or the applicator with replaceable heads, or the corners of a Wedge sponge or Square sponge.

Occasionally I will use a pastel pencil for details and accents after painting if I have to in order to get the effect I want. It's a little faster sometimes. When I put spots on my dream cheetahs I used pastel pencils but could have used the small applicator or corners of wedge sponge. It's just I didn't have to be as careful about pressure with the pastel pencil.

zedek
10-07-2011, 04:32 AM
thanks guys all your hints are helpful. I am looking forward to using these when I get my hands on them