PDA

View Full Version : Black cats - critique welcome - FINISHED

Ericak77
10-05-2011, 11:49 AM
Here is what I could do about black fur after 2 failed atempts.
Please be honest and critique :)

Its a gift for my mother in law, those are her cats.

Fisher 400 size 35cm x 25cm.

http://www.wetcanvas.com/Community/images/05-Oct-2011/973440-Dona_Maria_foto_referencia.jpg http://www.wetcanvas.com/Community/images/05-Oct-2011/973440-Dona_Maria_12.JPG

SherryC
10-05-2011, 01:12 PM
This is wonderful. The only thing I would recommend is to tone down the eyes. They look a little neon on my monitor (which may not be the case at all). Otherwise, it is great!!

cotswoldlady
10-05-2011, 01:28 PM
I agree with Sherry but I love them I had two just like that.

Ericak77
10-05-2011, 01:42 PM
Thank you!
I went to look at it again and I saw the neon eyes lol
I was like "Omg how did I not see it?!"

I changed it like you adviced. See if it is looking ok now or if it still needs more/less of anything.

http://www.wetcanvas.com/Community/images/05-Oct-2011/973440-DSC_1621.JPG

equinespirit
10-05-2011, 02:20 PM
Hi Erica :wave:

As you want crtitique I will give my thoughts, if you hadnt specifically asked I would have just said its lovely because, actually it is.
However, yes first thing I noticed was the eyes which are definitely improved but I feel still look a little flat somehow, not as alive as you normally make them.
Have they any highlights in? its hard to tell on screen,either on the photo ref or the painting but I feel they need more 'texture' and life.

Also have you included any other colours in the fur highlights? I can only see grey on screen and I think other shades would improve it although it does look ok as it is, I think it could look better.

Finally the hairs on the top of the cat on our lefts hindleg could be softened a little, they are a bit spikey atm.

However having said all that I do think you have done a lovely job and Im certain that your mother in law will be delighted with it. :thumbsup:

Ericak77
10-05-2011, 02:36 PM
Hi Sara!

Yes yes yessss thank you for pointing out everything you think it could be improved, that is exactly what I look for when I post my paintings here, thank you so much!:clap:

I will take my eyes off it today and go look at it tomorrow with everything you told me in mind. Since I repainted the eyes "in a hurry" they are probally missing depth indeed!

The fur was worked with light purple and blues at the beginning in both cats, then some greys, browns, even white.
Maybe Im still doing something wrong that is not showing the other colors, or just using black too hard on it because my brain keeps saying ITS A BLACK CAT USE BLAAAACK!

Here is what I did:

http://www.wetcanvas.com/Community/images/05-Oct-2011/973440-Dona_Maria_1.JPG http://www.wetcanvas.com/Community/images/05-Oct-2011/973440-Dona_Maria_2.JPG http://www.wetcanvas.com/Community/images/05-Oct-2011/973440-Dona_Maria_3.JPG http://www.wetcanvas.com/Community/images/05-Oct-2011/973440-Dona_Maria_4.JPG http://www.wetcanvas.com/Community/images/05-Oct-2011/973440-Dona_Maria_5.JPG

Do you notice if I do anything wrong in the process? What could I do differently to make the final result better?

And thank you again!

Ericak77
10-05-2011, 02:41 PM
I added a bigger reference picture.

http://www.wetcanvas.com/Community/images/05-Oct-2011/973440-Dona_Maria_0.JPG

barriespapa
10-05-2011, 02:45 PM
Hi Erica. Although this is a gorgeous painting I believe sarah to be correct about the eyes they appear to be a little flat perhaps a touch of shadow under the lids and i was also looking for the crescent shaped light that usually appears on the side of the eye away from the direction of light.
David.

barriespapa
10-05-2011, 02:51 PM
Yes Erica I can see the crescents I was talking about on the inside of the black cats right eye on the enlarged reference . we were cross posting.

barriespapa
10-05-2011, 02:58 PM
Something that I was taught about pastels on animals was to fill in an area about an inch to half an inch all around the eye before actually working the eye. That will give you a better feel for what is required in the eye. This is how Colin Bradley Teaches. Hope this helps

David

equinespirit
10-05-2011, 03:28 PM
Erica, Im certainly no expert, Ive hardly done any cats and no black ones :lol:

Although I have just done a dark grey horse and found difficulty myself with getting the tone right whilst trying to follow the hair detail.

I have no technique though , I just scribble in different colours till it looks how I want it :o so cant advise about your technique although it looks ok to me.

I think if you revisit the eyes and try to get every bit of detail that is in the ref that will work, you already have a talent for eyes.

As far as the hair goes all I can suggest is maybe posterise both and compare the tone and then also look really hard to try and see what colours are showing the most :confused:

Hopefully some of the more experienced senior members will also advise.

Its very good though so dont be disheartened atall and very often things also look different IRL to on our screeens so bear that in mind too.

DAK723
10-05-2011, 05:56 PM
cHi Erica,

First let me say that this painting came out quite nice! Black and white are probably the two hardest "colors" to paint because our minds do see them in black and white. As you and others have mentioned, one can add quite a bit (or just a little) color to them. But I don't think that is the issue with this painting. Seeing your progress photos shows that you had a bit of variation in the black areas. What I would recommend, however, is that you stop applying the darkest values much earlier and keep more of the gray!

I hope you don't mind, but I put your painting and the ref pic together. Using the computer, I sampled some areas. This is an unbelievably valuable tool to "see" what the actual colors of something are and not let the mind fool you.

http://www.wetcanvas.com/Community/images/05-Oct-2011/82335-blackcatsdakrev.JPG

I think you can see by this example, there might be more "gray cat" than "black cat" in the photo. Most of the side of the left hand cat is gray, and the other cat has more gray than black overall. Showing these areas that are in the light with a lighter gray than you have will probably give the cat more depth and 3-dimensionality.

Of course, the painting does not have to be like the photo. It is OK to use more black and it does add a bit more drama into the painting, but it does make it look flatter to me.

As always, feel free to ignore these comments!

Don

equinespirit
10-05-2011, 06:13 PM
That is so clever! :clap: :clap:

Merethe T
10-05-2011, 06:23 PM
Erica, I think you are doing fine, it really look lovely and I'm sure your MIL will love it! The black fur looks good, and realistic - and the likeness is spot on! What's most important to any pet-owner in the end is the likeness, and will touch their heart....you have done it already!

If you want to do some finishing touches you can fiddle a bit more with the eyes, they need more shadows to become more alive - and a few highlights as someone mentioned. You could add just a touch of yellow ocher to warm them up a bit, and put in a shadow under the lids. (I always start any animal eyes with orange or a rusty brown to add warmth, a tip I picked up from Lesley Harrison's book - a good one!).The black and white cats right eye (our right) seem to be completely in shadow, while the left has some direct light. This would town down the neon effect. That is, if that is the case in real life, maybe that's just the screen?

You could keep the black fur as it is, but if you want to more you could put in a layer of the purples you have used. In the third pic of your wip you have some lovely colors, they'd look nice on top of the black. Not completely covering the black, scribble them in like you've done with the grays. That would bring more life to the fur. Also, in the third pic you have shaped the body with the purples, as you have used it where the light from the window hits the cat. Don't be afraid to use the colors, what matters is the values and it looks like you've got them right in the first layers. It will turn out good - even if your brain keeps telling you to use black! Try it on a scrap paper if you are afraid to ruin the painting... The colors will also pick up the bg color and should work well...

I'm adding my thoughts as you have asked for c&c - but like I said, the painting is lovely and you could leave it as it is and continue to play with colors in your next paintings..

Ericak77
10-05-2011, 06:28 PM
Wow!

Holy cow Don!:eek:
Omg its all grey instead of black!! That is amazing!

I mean no, that is not amazing, that means Im way off! lol

See, I used the pick color tool from Photoshop on my second try to find out what the neck and chest's colors were (posted below), and it showed this color as a brownish something, so I trusted it and added this color all around where the pick tool showed me. I basically painted the whole WHITE neck area with light brownishs...

What happened after that is that I looked back and I was like "omg what did I do!". I tried to fix it with white, light grey and all I could think of, but I couldnt get rid of that brownish color, I had to call it and start a new painting :(

What do you see from this picture using the same source you just used on the 2 black cats painting? Would it show you the same brownish color on the chest, neck and cheeks?

http://www.wetcanvas.com/Community/images/05-Oct-2011/973440-bono_1.jpg http://www.wetcanvas.com/Community/images/05-Oct-2011/973440-DSC_1622.JPG

Its probally from the floor, because the floor is red.

http://www.wetcanvas.com/Community/images/05-Oct-2011/973440-DSC_1110.JPG

Another thing I want to ask is, is it correct to paint a cat with other colours around him that are affecting his fur? Even if the cat is NOT that color?

Like, if the floor was green, his chest would reflect green color, but his fur is not green, you know what I mean?

Ericak77
10-05-2011, 06:46 PM
Merethe,

Yes thank you! More C&C please! Im learning so much with all you guys's coments, thank you soooo much!

Im trying to use more different colors to paint "black" as you taught me on my Lila (white cat) painting. My brain still fights me demaning me to use black black black black!

LOOK AT THE CAT, ITS A BLACK CAT SEE? And my other right side of the brain is like "ok then, listen to the other side, I give up, paint it black and dont complain later on!"

I asked Robert some tips to "turn off" my brain lol, its been quite fun and entertaining! I cant do two things at the same time, unless its dishes and talking.

I saw someone saying they paint while on the phone to distract their brain, I wish I could do that!

Anyway, I will practice and Im sure it will "happen" in one way or another.
Again guys, thank you very much and keep telling me what you see wrong please, it helps me so much you cant imagine! :thumbsup:

equinespirit
10-05-2011, 06:51 PM
This is really interesting!
I shall look forward to reading the replies as I struggle with this too, ie: how do we show the coat colours are x when the shadows/highlights make them y?

I actually think your cat may have worked though if you had continued on with the white over it Erica? certainly the chest if not the nose.

Ericak77
10-05-2011, 06:58 PM
I think about keep adding white to fix it, but the brownish was still showing, and if I add too much white it will just look a flat white instead of a flat brown chest lol

The nose area I used yellow to warm it up, and the area around the mouth is the fisher 400 paper's color, I didnt paint it.

What happened is that I got so lost with so many things going wrong and looking weird it was easier to get it out of my sign and start a new painting, which was those 2 "black" cats. (I still cant believe they are NOT black!)

God, so much to learn!

Barbara WC
10-05-2011, 07:45 PM
Wow!

http://www.wetcanvas.com/Community/images/05-Oct-2011/973440-bono_1.jpg http://www.wetcanvas.com/Community/images/05-Oct-2011/973440-DSC_1622.JPG

Its probally from the floor, because the floor is red.

http://www.wetcanvas.com/Community/images/05-Oct-2011/973440-DSC_1110.JPG

Another thing I want to ask is, is it correct to paint a cat with other colours around him that are affecting his fur? Even if the cat is NOT that color?

Like, if the floor was green, his chest would reflect green color, but his fur is not green, you know what I mean?

Hi Erica-

wonderful job on the cats, and you've gotten some good advice.

I don't paint animals, but paint people. I think it would be nice to paint the colors around the cat affecting the fur (your example asking if the floor was green to include green), but only if you include that color in your background. You don't seem to paint the background as they appear in photos, so if you painted the green in the kitty fur, but the background is blue, it might look out of place.

This type of lighting is called "reflected light", when color is cast on a person or animal from clothing, floor, etc. In the photo you posted with the cat on the yellow background, you could change the reddish cast to yellow, since the yellow is in the background. Or put a bit of the reddish color in the background to tie in the red reflected light on the fur.

Hope this makes sense. I personally think including some type of reflected light always adds intrest to a portrait, but it has to tie in with the rest of the painting.

Ericak77
10-05-2011, 08:01 PM
Barbara,

Thank you for your advice on reflected colors. I will keep that in mind forever!

You are right, it doesnt make sense to paint a blue reflected color if the background is going to be red!

robertsloan2
10-05-2011, 08:33 PM
Yes, it's definitely right to paint reflected color onto a cat's black or white fur! That adds to realism. You're getting it with the shapes of shadow and highlight areas. On the first pair, your last stage put too much black into the left side black cat's highlighted area. Shapes of highlights and shadows give depth and dimension.

The deepest darks in white areas and brightest highlights in black areas can come very close sometimes.

I love the way the terra cotta tiles reflect up onto the cat's white bib. Use that color! It will ground the cat right into the setting. Even in gray areas, it may be a lot livelier to blend in complements either optically or literally blended to create the grays.

Great detail and proportion though! These cats are beautiful, keep going!

tulabula
10-05-2011, 11:01 PM
Being a beginner myself I can't offer any help but thought I would let you know I think your painting is lovely!

Deborah Secor
10-05-2011, 11:57 PM
Erica, I want to show you something that has helped me many times when painting animals (actually all kinds of subjects really.) Look at this photo of the cat you posted, but notice how I changed each one to a different color:

http://www.wetcanvas.com/Community/images/05-Oct-2011/23609-catcat.jpg

The truth is, you COULD use any of those colors to portray the cat's fur. For instance, in his "white" chest you could use a green or a purple or a blue--really all of those colors, BUT (here's the biggie) they need to be the exact same value. In other words, the tone can't vary too much. Don't make the green darker or the yellow lighter. I didn't change the values, the darkness or lightness, only the colors! In a technical sense, you could use all the colors together to make the "black" or the "gray"--or really any part--as long as you match the values.

In pastels you're free to layer various colors of the same or very similar values over one another, to arrive at the color you want it to be. To do that you need paper that has a lot of depth. By all accounts the Fisher will work well. Then you can build that beautiful, deep fur up with many various colors, ending with the perfect "white".

I hope that's helpful. You do nice work! :thumbsup:

DAK723
10-06-2011, 12:07 AM

I am going to sound like a smart-aleck now, so be ready!

If the cat's chest is reflecting the colors around him...then the cat's chest IS that color. Color is relative. In art, there is no "real color" of an object. The color is different all the time depending on many factors. It is our brain that wants to define things by a local or real color. In reality, the "local" color of an object occurs only when the light is white or neutral as on an overcast day.

The color of something can very generally be defined by the following factors.

In light, the color of the object is a combination of the objects "local" color and the color of the light. In shadow, the color is a darker, grayer version of the local color combined with the color of any secondary light source (if there is one) and reflected light.

So something that is white under neutral white light will look more yellow in sunlight because the light is yellow. The shadow of the object may be more blue if the blue sky light is a secondary light source. The shadow area of the cat's chest is more reddish because the light is reflecting off the red bricks.

I have found that if you don't add in these additional color notes, especially reflected light into shadows, objects will look "cut-out" and not integrated into the background or other colors in the painting. That's why it is a good idea to keep background and surrounding colors similar to the reference. Or make sure if you change the surrounding colors, that you then incorporate those colors into the object.

Now, I should mention that your latest cat is wonderfully done. The white fur on the chest is a nice combination of colors including some of those reds reflecting in!

I should also mention that many many artists don't paint with any particular attention to these color suggestions. A painting does not have to be "scientifically accurate." As Deborah has demonstrated - and many art teachers teach - you can use any colors to depict your subject as long as your values are accurate. Personally, I have found that paying closer attention to the actual colors of the light and the reflected light - and the way they alter and affect the "local" color - is the way I like paintings to be, but this is very much a matter of personal taste.

As I showed in my previous post, the computer is a good tool for determining "actual" color. Another method is to simply punch a hole in a white piece of paper and placing the hole over various areas of your ref photo.

Another thing to keep in mind is that photos have trouble exposing extremes correctly. If you expose correctly for the whites, the dark areas will be too dark. I took your most recent photo and lightened it in photoshop to what my guess is a more correct exposure. This way, you will get more of the subtle value changes that the photo has trouble picking up.

http://www.wetcanvas.com/Community/images/05-Oct-2011/82335-cat-lighter.JPG

I sampled a bunch of colors, too. And, no, even after 30 plus years as an artist, I don't see these colors easily in real life or even when looking at the photo! It is something that I need to constantly be aware of and use the tools that are available to me!

Hope this helps - sorry for the long explanations. In a way there is a lot to think about, but keep in mind that your paintings are very good! In many ways you are probably already incorporating these suggestions in your painting without thinking about it!

Don

Ericak77
10-06-2011, 01:24 AM
Deborah and Don,

Thank you so much!

One of the hardest things for me is to find out WHAT is the color UNDER that white fur. Not only in this painting, but in all of them.

At the beginning I used to just put pure white on a white chest, but then I researched and saw people adding all kind of colors and getting that "omg REAL FUR!" effect. (Im still looking for that in my paintings by the way...)

So now, after a few WIPs and tips from everyone here (and thank you all) I use Photoshop to pick up the color that I cant see (because for me its just white) and then I find out the color is PINK.

Ok, its pink. My first layer will be pinkish then, planning on adding light grey and white over to make the fur. But somehow it still doesnt look like fur. I can see the pink where I didnt cover with the next layers, and for my eyes its wrong to have a white chest with pink in it showing. So what happens is that I end up putting more and more white untill everything is white again!

And I think that is exactly what happened to my 2 black cats. I started with all kind of colors, but at the end they look black, because I added so much black over all the other colors ( and haha, they are actually grey as Don showed me). I will try to control myself.

Don, about the reflected color, I have one more question.
I usually dont paint the background as it is. Instead, I make up a color that I think will match with the painting, BUT the reflected color is still there.

On this cat's example:

http://www.wetcanvas.com/Community/images/06-Oct-2011/973440-DSC_1538.JPG
I started the chest with that pinkish, but my background is yellow! So, is it right to keep adding the pink if I dont have the reflected floor anymore?

http://www.wetcanvas.com/Community/images/06-Oct-2011/973440-DSC_1624.JPG

equinespirit
10-06-2011, 02:43 AM
Great, great posts, I love this board! :clap: :clap: :clap:

DAK723
10-06-2011, 09:15 AM
Erica,

This is sort of a contradiction or a "catch-22" situation. While there is a lot to learn and consider in each painting, it also (in my opinion) isn't good to over-think things! Painting to a certain extent should be a sub-conscious intuitive process!

So, in a way, you can use a wide variety of colors that don't necessarily appear in the real life setting or the photo reference. And, yes, in this case, you can use the pink reflected light from the floor (or any other reflected color) that is outside the range of the painting. Since you don't show the floor, there is nothing inconsistent with showing the floor colors in the reflected light. Especially in a close-up painting, there will be colors reflecting from things outside of the painting and the viewer will not find anything inconsistent or unusual in that. If you showed the floor as blue, then it would probably look wrong unless you had some blue in the chest area, rather than pink.

Keep in mind that reflected light is a little like billiards. It is about angles. The light bounces off the floor at an angle to reflect into those areas of the cat that face the floor. When blue light from the sky effects the painting it is on the surfaces or sides that face upwards towards the sky. If you have a yellow background you can sort of decide if there is any yellow light (from side walls?) that might reflect onto the sides of the cat, for example. Since we are seeing the cat front and center, the color of the yellow background behind the cat might only reflect on the back of the cat that we don't see. There might be a touch of that yellow on the sides of the cat, or on the very fringe, but not necessarily. Again, you don't have to be that scientifically accurate, in my opinion!

It sounds like a lot, but when you start looking for reflected light it becomes somewhat easier to see. Sometimes!

Don

Ericak77
10-06-2011, 10:11 AM
Don,

And that is what being experienced is about I guess?
By trial and error after several paintings you just know what works and what doesnt, right?

I think I found a shortcut by joining WetCanvas, as I have been learning so much lately with everything.

Thank you so much for being here and taking the time to post and teach new artists, all of you!:heart:

Ericak77
10-06-2011, 10:13 AM
Oh, Don!

You didnt tell me how you put those colored squares in those places?

I want to study my next picture and have those squares there so I dont get lost.

Is it Photoshop? Do you pick up the color and paint a square with it? Or is there an automated way of doing that that I dont know of?

DAK723
10-06-2011, 03:29 PM
Oh, Don!

You didnt tell me how you put those colored squares in those places?

I want to study my next picture and have those squares there so I dont get lost.

Is it Photoshop? Do you pick up the color and paint a square with it? Or is there an automated way of doing that that I dont know of?
Sorry, forgot to answer your question! Yes, I pick the color with the eyedropper tool and then paint a square with it in Photoshop (or similar program)!

Don

Ericak77
10-06-2011, 04:01 PM
Now look what you did to me.

I wont start a new painting till I have done this with my reference picture:

http://www.wetcanvas.com/Community/images/06-Oct-2011/973440-cat_estudo.jpg

I work from my screen after some tips from everyone (I used to print the picture reference but they come out so poor and with all kind of wrong colors).

So now its starting to get easier!
I just put this picture on my screen and all those colored squares are there to remind me this is not a grey cat on a yellow blanket!

Well, now HOW I will get to THAT color that is a whole something else. But at least I have a hint! lol:crossfingers:

Thank you Don!:thumbsup: :thumbsup:

Hmm..I think I need a new set of pastels..... we never have enough colors do we?

equinespirit
10-06-2011, 04:19 PM
:D :D :D love it!

Ericak77
10-06-2011, 05:52 PM
Just to share my fun painting.
I didnt use pencils at all, which I usually do.
But I was lazy and I was just trying colors (oh I need one of those 525 colors sets.....)

Dont bother C&Cing, I just painted it to forget about the black cats for a bit :)

http://www.wetcanvas.com/Community/images/06-Oct-2011/973440-DSC_1628.JPG

Nupastel on velour, 35cm x 25cm - completed in 50 minutes (I didnt count the sketch time, just the painting)

And here is one of my babies checking what it was lol

http://www.wetcanvas.com/Community/images/06-Oct-2011/973440-DSC_1629.JPG

Oh I forgot to do the paw and the ears, jezz!

equinespirit
10-06-2011, 06:02 PM
Thats really very good actually! love your little helper too :lol: :lol:

SherryC
10-06-2011, 07:24 PM
Hey I could pick a color but could not figure out how to draw a square with that color. How did you do that? I am using Gimp not Photoshop but they are similar.

Ericak77
10-06-2011, 07:32 PM
Ya, I just learned that too, now Im addicted to adding squares to all my reference pictures just for fun! lol

Anyway, I dont know about that other program you use, but on Photoshop you chose the "draw lines" tool, and then you can choose which line you want to draw, if its gonna be a circle, a square, just a line, etc.

I did the lines in red color, one by one, then you have to click on the background, pick up the color, draw the square and paint it with the color you just selected.

Click the background layer again and redo the process.
If you dont click the blackground layer, the next square will be painted the same color as the one before, even if you used the pick up color again.

If I didnt help you can ask again and I will try to type in a more clear way :)

SherryC
10-06-2011, 09:28 PM
Thank you for your help. I may not want to learn how to do this. It could become addicting. :D

DAK723
10-07-2011, 12:37 AM
Hey I could pick a color but could not figure out how to draw a square with that color. How did you do that? I am using Gimp not Photoshop but they are similar.

Not sure about Gimp, but some programs will allow you to make rectangles that are either filled with color or can be filled with the paint bucket tool.

I make the rectangle with the selection tool (or the marquee tool) and then while the rectangle is active, I fill it with the paint bucket tool. I hope this makes sense verbally!

Don

barriespapa
10-07-2011, 10:57 AM
Now look what you did to me.

I wont start a new painting till I have done this with my reference picture:

http://www.wetcanvas.com/Community/images/06-Oct-2011/973440-cat_estudo.jpg

I work from my screen after some tips from everyone (I used to print the picture reference but they come out so poor and with all kind of wrong colors).

So now its starting to get easier!
I just put this picture on my screen and all those colored squares are there to remind me this is not a grey cat on a yellow blanket!

Well, now HOW I will get to THAT color that is a whole something else. But at least I have a hint! lol:crossfingers:

Thank you Don!:thumbsup: :thumbsup:

Hmm..I think I need a new set of pastels..... we never have enough colors do we?
Hi Erica how neat is this I must go and buy photoshop now which edition do I need. Also the comment about never enough colors just think wouldn't it be nice we just did this to our reference and sent it of to the supplier and said send me these colors.:D :D

Ericak77
10-07-2011, 11:09 AM
You forgot to add "with a 50% off discount please, and free shipping!".

lol

The Photoshop version I use is really old, its called Photoshop CS2 and Im running Windows 7.

barriespapa
10-07-2011, 02:35 PM
:lol: :lol: Your cracking me up, however the good news is an older version will work so might find it cheaper to buy maybe better that 50% off.:D :D
David

Deborah Secor
10-07-2011, 03:05 PM
David, look into Photoshop Elements, or for a taste of how it works you can go to this free web photo editor (http://www.freeonlinephotoshop.com/) (which is totally rinky-dink compared to the real thing, but is free!)

DAK723
10-07-2011, 09:54 PM
Yes, almost every paint or photo editing software can sample colors. I'm pretty sure that gimp or other FREE software downloads can do it, too. By all means, make sure you do not get the full version of Photoshop which costs hundreds of dollars.

If you have Windows, you can pick colors in the free Paint program that has always come as one of the accessories. I still have Windows XP - maybe someone can verify if it comes in the newer versions of Windows, too.

Don

Jayde
10-08-2011, 01:37 AM
Your baby is gorgeous!!! Have you painted her yet?

Ericak77
10-08-2011, 09:08 AM
Not this one yet. I painted 2 out of my 6 cats so far.

But I will paint all of them for sure!:cat:

the drover's dog
10-08-2011, 10:28 PM
This thread is just so useful and the cat paintings are looking good.

So that the thread doesn't get lost amongst thousands in the archives, perhaps we could all rate it. You can see the rate it link on the top right of this page.

Thanks for the input Don, Deborah and everyone else.

Dale.

Ericak77
10-10-2011, 10:55 PM
I decided to try and fix Bono, my mother-in-law's neightbour's cat, while my "purple cat" painting rests (maybe it will magically be ready when I wake up tomorrow?)

I worked on the chest, without making it white, since the white hightlights are on a part of the nose and near the neck/back.

I will fix the eyes later.

http://www.wetcanvas.com/Community/images/10-Oct-2011/973440-DSC_1692.JPG
http://www.wetcanvas.com/Community/images/10-Oct-2011/973440-DSC_1693.JPG
http://www.wetcanvas.com/Community/images/10-Oct-2011/973440-lia1.jpg

equinespirit
10-11-2011, 02:58 AM
See, I knew you could fix it! :thumbsup:

Ericak77
10-27-2011, 05:29 PM
Im back to that one cat, Bono.
I came back to his house and took new pictures, much better ones.

Now I need some help!
I think the face is looking wrong, specially the part where the black is bigger (our right side).

Can anyone point out what you see please? Im on that "blind" phase again, sigh.

(Fur along the body and paws arent done yet, I will do more on chest too. Eyes are not done as well.)

http://www.wetcanvas.com/Community/images/27-Oct-2011/973440-erica_grey.jpg
http://www.wetcanvas.com/Community/images/27-Oct-2011/973440-erica.jpg
http://www.wetcanvas.com/Community/images/27-Oct-2011/973440-DSC_2059.JPG http://www.wetcanvas.com/Community/images/27-Oct-2011/973440-DSC_2260.JPG

Thank you in advance, you guys are great! :thumbsup:

equinespirit
10-27-2011, 05:59 PM
Hi Erica :wave:

This is looking very good.
Look at the white area beneath his left ( our right) eye, it slants too much in your painting.
The black area is also a tiny bit too wide, it comes out too far, look how it comes out further at the bottom in relation to the ear.
The shadow directly beneath it is also a little too strong which is making his face look more angular.
Other than that all I can see is that the individual white hairs arent in yet and they will soften it when they are,likewise the white point that goes up the middle of his head will be shaped properly when those hairs are in.

So only really small things to correct :thumbsup:

Ericak77
11-09-2011, 09:49 PM
Finished and delivered.
She loved it more than me, but I will get better with time.:thumbsup:
Thank you all of you who helped me so much!

http://www.wetcanvas.com/Community/images/09-Nov-2011/973440-DSC_2347.JPG

And here is the other one, with my mother in law.

http://www.wetcanvas.com/Community/images/09-Nov-2011/973440-DSC_2084.JPG

http://www.wetcanvas.com/Community/images/09-Nov-2011/973440-DSC_2105.JPG

equinespirit
11-10-2011, 04:08 AM
Lovely finish on both Erica! :clap: :clap:

John Palmer Fine Art
11-10-2011, 03:06 PM
Wonderful work Erica and an interesting thread!