PDA

View Full Version : Far Bank, memory

id-art
10-04-2011, 07:41 PM
After many distractions back to painting. 20x16" on canvas. From imagination and vague memories. Knife painting over a previous knife painting.

http://www.wetcanvas.com/Community/images/04-Oct-2011/54863-far_bank_16x20_A-500.jpg

connievanwinssen
10-05-2011, 06:49 AM
I like it!:)

ladypainter
10-05-2011, 08:37 AM
I really like this piece. Almost an abstract feel to it. Nice work

chammi kaiser
10-05-2011, 09:41 AM
I really like this Bob.Exciting movement and terrific colours. I am so pleased you are painting again. Like that burst of spray with it's touches of green.

Dcam
10-05-2011, 10:02 AM
All great:
Layers, color, texture, composition.

Enjoyed.
Derek

id-art
10-05-2011, 03:17 PM
Thanks for the comments!

I first painted without reference material in a Robert Burridge workshop a few years ago. Kinda scarey if you've always had a photo or been on location as was my case. It forces you to rethink what painting is all about. Once you realize a painting can turn out pretty good without referring to something 'out there' you experience a sense of freedom. You begin to understand that the scene or subject is only the inspiration. You are not a human camera and the goal is not to produce a scientific illustration. The art must come from inside of you, from the interaction between you and the paint. You have unlimited paintings inside of you. Without reference you are free to focus completely on the progress of the painting. You become more aware of how each stroke affects the whole, how each shape relates to the others, how each color adds or detracts, etc. I had been aware while painting from reference that I often reached a point when I stopped referring and started winging it, feeling that same sense of freedom. Too much attention to the reference can detract from the final result. The sooner you get to the winging it stage the better.

arl
10-05-2011, 06:39 PM
Wonderful colors and textures.

Ms Nan
10-05-2011, 06:42 PM
Oh, I want to wing it! You give us newbies inspiration.