PDA

View Full Version : The Turquoise Ribbon

Ruthie57
10-04-2011, 03:45 PM
I have been working on this one for some time now. I was going to enter it in the IAPS 2011 webshow but have decided to save my money. Well, also I don't have the software to make the image 300dpi. That was what finally decided me. I'll enter next year maybe........

It's about A3 on pastelmat and is based on a ref I took myself in Crete. The BG is completely home made though (with some advice from a friend) and I'm quite pleased with that.

C&C is always welcome!

http://www.wetcanvas.com/Community/images/04-Oct-2011/189061-the_Turquoise_Ribbon.jpg

water girl
10-04-2011, 04:20 PM
I always like a painting that tells a story. I also have to give you credit for creating a background, it's simple and keeps the attention on the figures. Clever lady.:clap:
I have a thought here. With the light coming from the right and hitting the donkey, would a few brighter high lights on the right side of the woman's scarf and jacket make it a bit more dramatic? Since the left side is in shadow, and handled nicely by the way, I'm craving a pop of light on the right. It's minor and if you decide not to change it, it beautiful as is.

equinespirit
10-04-2011, 05:33 PM
This is fabulous Ruthie!
I would never have thought of purple for shadows but it creates a great effect. Lovely lighting, super BG and skilfull work on both donkey and person. :clap:

Dougwas
10-04-2011, 05:54 PM
You gave the painting nice harmony with the use violet it her top, the trees and the shadows. When I first looked at it the first things that popped into my head were hot and dusty. I agree about the painting telling a neat story. Well done, Ruthie.

Doug

Dedrian
10-04-2011, 10:10 PM
Very nice, story and all!!

allydoodle
10-04-2011, 10:15 PM
Beautiful painting Ruthie! I can feel the hot, dusty road, and the miles yet to travel. Well done.

Orchid Lady
10-05-2011, 12:02 PM
Good composition!

IMaybe
10-05-2011, 05:07 PM
:) Beautiful painting--love the color harmony. Should be shown!

spirothet
10-05-2011, 06:59 PM
Ruthie, stunning painting. I love the soft glow using soft purple. Thanks for sharing, and I agree, you should show it. Cali

bluefish
10-06-2011, 06:27 AM
Ruthie......wonderful painting.....this has to go into a competative show.....best of luck with it.......

and I especially like the mastery of the 'brownish fuchsia' in the painting.....:)

'blue....' :wave:

Colorix
10-06-2011, 03:05 PM
Ruthie, it looks great! So filled with light, and it was news that you made up the bg!

I can make it into 300 for you, ask Paula if you can still enter!

Ruthie57
10-06-2011, 04:04 PM
Karen, thank you! I like a story too and I must make a point of taking more photos which I can build stories on. They're so much more special when they come from your own photos and experience aren't they?

Thanks Sarah. I've been using purple/blue for shadows ever since I heard that warm light equals cool shadows. It works doesn't it!

Thank you Doug and Dedrian!

Chris, thanks, great that you feel that. This old lady was riding her donkey up the street, with parked cars either side, when I took the photo. I made the BG from my memories of paths in Crete....because I didn't fancy portraying the parked cars!

Thanks Orchid Lady!

Ida and Cali, thank you! Not sure whether this will ever be shown other than on WC though.

Blue. Thank you too! I am so relieved that you approve of my use of brownish fuchsia. I thought of you while I was using it :D

Charlie, thank you! And, folks, Charlie is the one who helped me with the BG on this....just some discussion and pointers. I'm not going to enter it though, decision's made. It's not good enough for me so it's not good enough for IAPS. Next year, Charlie, if I still haven't got round to getting photo editing software, I'll send my entry to you to re-size............

Turpintine45
10-06-2011, 07:06 PM
Well I think it is great! The old lady looks so feisty ready to give the donkey a whack with that stick if he acts up and the bg is perfect.

John Palmer Fine Art
10-07-2011, 08:20 AM
This is wonderful Ruthie, I love the composition and you have captured the feel and atmosphere of the moment perfectly.

Ruthie57
10-08-2011, 04:12 PM
Thanks Jen! I think that Donkey was resigned to the occasional whack. Though he looked quite a healthy chap.
Thanks John! glad you like the comp. The BG gave me some headaches before I ended up with this.

Rockport123
10-08-2011, 08:52 PM
Hi Ruthie

You did a great job on this, especially since you had to invent the background! She looks like she's a tough cookie who has seen some hard times. Well done!

Marlene

the drover's dog
10-08-2011, 10:44 PM
Yep Ruthie, as Blue has pointed out, that brownish fuschia is just what you needed. :lol: Lovely job and well done. Shame you didn't enter it.

Ruthie, if you need an uncomplicated basic editing programme for graphics, with which you can change size and dpi and all sorts of good stuff like lightening and darkening, crop, straighten, increase colour saturation etc., FastStone Viewer (http://www.faststone.org/FSViewerDetail.htm)is free and very quick and easy to use. Not too greedy on computer resources either. I have it set as my default graphics viewer and even download my camera with it. It can't do the things like picking colours that Gimp and Photoshop can do, but it also isn't a huge a download as they are and it doesn't take minutes to load every time you need it.

Use the Lancoz 3 option when enlarging or decreasing .jpg photos and don't forget to alter the dpi depending on what you need the photo for.

Dale

Ruthie57
10-09-2011, 05:45 PM
Thank you Marlene! I took the ref for this with zoom as she was coming towards us. When she drew nearer I was going to take another but she caught my eye and I daren't!
Thanks Dale! I'm glad I didn't enter it now actually. The way I've portrayed the woman just ain't good enough for the rest of the painting. Thanks for the tip on that download. I've saved it in my favourites to look at tomorrow. Too tired now.