PDA

View Full Version : Last Supper, Leonardo da Vinci

Sunu Tri
10-03-2011, 01:08 AM
Hi all :)
I wonder if anybody in WetCanvas has tried to do a copy of Da Vinci's Last supper. I'm about to start mine now, sized 100x200cm. But first, I'd like to do some research about the original reference, the colours, technique and everything about this particular painting.
I have already got the very high resolution of the original painting from haltadefinizione.com, but still couldn't define the details of the objects and colours perfectly.
I found that Last supper had been copied by several artists, one of them was Giampietrino (http://it.wikipedia.org/wiki/Ultima_Cena_(Giampietrino)) . His work is very good as a reference but unfortunately it is not complete as a painting (only part of it available).

paintingbee1113
11-15-2011, 07:53 PM
I personally have not copied it, but I think it sounds like you're on the right track to me! I think you just have to give it a little interpretation yourself. I think it sounds like a great idea!

Hanna

kadon
11-16-2011, 03:27 AM
I looked up the link you gave at the art gallery but the picture seems very obscure to me....not nearly the good resolution of the partial one displayed on Wikipedia.
Am I looking at the right one or did you obtain an actual print?

MaṣMaṣ
11-22-2011, 10:22 AM
Hello. I live in a small village near Vinci (florence -italy) .... and I'm a fan of oil painting. The goal that you have set it's very very ambitious: Leonardo painted the "Last Supper" on a type of plaster (in Milano) not very well finished and exposed to the moisture too, testing a type of fat tempera(I think that this is egg tempera-Leonardo loved to experiment). The effect of moisture has ruined the fresco in a few years -while Leonardo are still alive and that's why your project is very ambitious - there is'nt a picture of the fresco as Leonardo had painted - the only one we have is the original ruined by moisture. But maybe with a bit of imagination,you can be able to get the original representation, and maybe even better! !
Take a look on the site of national gallery to see something about Leonardo way of painting , but mind that he love to experiment always new way of paint.
Ciao e buon lavoro!

Sunu Tri
11-22-2011, 09:52 PM
Hi all, thanks for the comments :)
I've been doing the reproduction and it's been quite sometime. the canvas is so large and it's not finished yet, there's so many details that need to be developed.

http://www.wetcanvas.com/Community/images/22-Nov-2011/952863-IMG00966-20111117-0835.jpg
http://www.wetcanvas.com/Community/images/22-Nov-2011/952863-IMG00969-20111117-0837.jpg
http://www.wetcanvas.com/Community/images/22-Nov-2011/952863-IMG00968-20111117-0836.jpg
http://www.wetcanvas.com/Community/images/22-Nov-2011/952863-IMG00967-20111117-0836.jpg

Thanks for looking.

kadon
11-23-2011, 06:17 AM
This is shaping up really well. Do you have a print to work from? You said you had one from a good resolution....but the link you gave is far from a good resolution. (Refer to my previous email.)??????

Sunu Tri
11-23-2011, 10:39 PM
Hi Kadon, :)
No, I don't have a good enough print to work from. The one I got from haltadefinizione.com is quite useful in the matter of genuine composition only. While the colours (of clothes, walls and everything), I refer to the one from leonardo3.net. Indeed, it's quite challenging.

kadon
11-23-2011, 10:54 PM
Thank you for your reply ST. The second link is the same resolution as the first one. What I didn't understand apparently was the 'high resolution'. My goodness, but you are making a fantastic job of it...such a lot of work and you seem to be meeting the challenge head on. Congratulations!

kadon
11-23-2011, 11:01 PM
Also, I wondered if you noticed how often Leonardo has fingers pointing upwards. Nowadays it means something insulting....'giving the finger'.
It's in the 'Last Supper' and in several other paintings that I saw when I casually perused the site.

Sunu Tri
11-23-2011, 11:27 PM
Thank you for your reply ST. The second link is the same resolution as the first one. What I didn't understand apparently was the 'high resolution'. My goodness, but you are making a fantastic job of it...such a lot of work and you seem to be meeting the challenge head on. Congratulations!

The link: http://www.haltadefinizione.com/galleries.jsp has 22 famous paintings file that you can zoom in to the closest possible, said to be 16 billion pixel. Thanks Kadon for your kind comment :)

Sunu Tri
11-23-2011, 11:37 PM
Also, I wondered if you noticed how often Leonardo has fingers pointing upwards. Nowadays it means something insulting....'giving the finger'.
It's in the 'Last Supper' and in several other paintings that I saw when I casually perused the site.

Yes, "John the Baptist" also had his finger pointing upwards.

MaṣMaṣ
11-24-2011, 08:32 AM
Sorry , no , i don't like. You have to define shadows - Maybe it's good-excellent - basis for underpainting , but you have still working hard with bitumen .Excuse me form my honesty .Ciao!

kadon
11-24-2011, 05:30 PM
I understand your point MM...but I think this is the underpainting stage. It is a WIP isn't it? I am impressed by the overall composition when one can see so little on the photos.

Sunu Tri
11-24-2011, 09:52 PM
Hi MM and Kadon, :)
Yes, it's not finished yet, but i guess it's not an underpainting cause I already applied the colours. I still can develope some shadows and highlight.

MaṣMaṣ
11-25-2011, 06:17 AM
I understand your point MM...but I think this is the underpainting stage. It is a WIP isn't it? I am impressed by the overall composition when one can see so little on the photos.
I was looking at the picture of Suni, and I thought::confused:
-the design is perfect
- The colors are beautiful
Probably :cool: the fault lies in the fact that he used to bring out the figures too white, too white non-transparent, and then had to reapply verdaccio, and re-tones and colors without using more white (this is what I meant reusing as underpainting) or to proceed with bitumen ............................ when a colleague of mine took a look at the figure and said "Woooooooooooooow!! This is wonderful:clap: !!!!!!!!!" . That's all. Ahahhaahahhaha !!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!;)

kadon
11-25-2011, 05:55 PM
I was looking at the picture of Suni, and I thought::confused:
-the design is perfect
- The colors are beautiful
Probably :cool: the fault lies in the fact that he used to bring out the figures too white, too white non-transparent, and then had to reapply verdaccio, and re-tones and colors without using more white (this is what I meant reusing as underpainting) or to proceed with bitumen ............................ when a colleague of mine took a look at the figure and said "Woooooooooooooow!! This is wonderful:clap: !!!!!!!!!" . That's all. Ahahhaahahhaha !!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!;)
What do you mean by 'bitumen'?.....too white?

MaṣMaṣ
11-26-2011, 06:34 AM
What do you mean by 'bitumen'?.....too white?
Sorry Mr.Kadon for my english . I meant this:
-I saw the paint of Sunu in his facebook profile .
-The draw is perfect .(really).
-The application of verdaccio is right ( I know this because i'm fan of Fred Wessel - great research of rinascimental paint - and in his site this tecnic is explain very well).
-But Suni , ad we can see in his photo , committed a great fault ( in my opinion) using too much white in the underpainting of the figures ,a kind of non trasparent white , which has killed many details of the original draw .
After the application of verdaccio ,I use a little bit of white , very diluited whit medium and very blended , so the verdaccio mix with this transparent white , and give a beatiful tridimensional effect.
Now . When , in my little experience , have done this kind of fault , i proceed whith two method :
1)If the final paint don't like me, because the tone of the paint it's too much distant from my target and i've done a too much lighter figure ,I cover the paint again whit verdaccio , ( and use again the final paint as basis for underpaint) , don't apply white , and I proceed again with the application of the color .
2) If the final paint it's quite near to my target , but I've to define better umbra, I used bitumen , which is a kind of brown with green flame , or , burned umbra . By!

kadon
11-26-2011, 07:02 PM
This sounds wonderful advice MM...now all I have to do is look up what 'verdaccio' means .... will do research on Fred Wessel As you can see I am very ignorant, but very very keen to learn as much as I can. Thank you.

kadon
11-26-2011, 07:05 PM
Found this site on Wet Canvas: http://www.wetcanvas.com/forums/showthread.php?t=526374

kadon
11-26-2011, 07:14 PM
Wessel's website:
http://home.comcast.net/~f.wessel/tech2steps.html

Sunu Tri
11-28-2011, 01:44 AM
Thanks MM and Kadon for the discussion. I learn a lot from this mistake :)

kadon
11-28-2011, 02:23 AM
Thank YOU Suni T!

EasternArtDirect
11-28-2011, 02:59 PM
I think that you might need work more on colors and tones. The painting looks really beautiful.

MaṣMaṣ
11-28-2011, 03:25 PM
I have read with attention the post on Kadon verdaccio: the views of William is really interesting and real . I think the problem is -time - .The fact is that in order to realize a grisaille made ​​verdaccio must hang from a coat of paint and another , a coat of transparent medium (linseed oil) and let it dry (it takes about two weeks) and use very light glaze on top. Taking into account that for a rinascimental paint it takes about seven layers of paint and thus seven coats of transparent medium - taking into account that each layer of the film takes one to two weeks to dry ... to bring out the grisaille in the manner verdaccio Renaissance .... so that we can obtain a prismatic optical effect .... we need to work on this painting from a minimum of 4 months to a maximum of 7 months!! Crazy. But true.
Sunu thank you so much for honoring my land with a precious work of art that many of my colleagues have admired. Kadon thank you very much for your lively intelligence ! And let us never forget that in ancient Florence who spread the secret alchemy of color of the great masters was convicted and hanged by the neck in Piazza della Signoria .....

Artifex
12-02-2011, 02:42 AM
Wow nice work you have here I can see that you are trying so hard to make this perfect and judging the way to paint I know you can make it.

royalpainting
12-26-2011, 04:08 AM
I produced this painting already.I would like to share it with your guys.
But I don't know how to upload the pic,who can help me?

kadon
12-26-2011, 04:26 AM
Go to the box at bottom of page and press 'go advanced'. Amongst the buttons at the top there is a button that looks like an upside envelope framed by a blue circle. Press that and follow the prompts which allow you to browse your own website, open it then upload. you might have to wait a bit while it uploads. If it is too big your will be asked to resize it...but see how you go. Looking forward to your contribution.

kadon
12-26-2011, 04:27 AM
correction: 'framed by a blue square' (not a ciircle).