PDA

View Full Version : Friends House

lstrvr
10-01-2011, 07:13 PM
A friend of mine had asked if I could do a painting of their house as an anniversary present for her husband. He designed and built the home, so I felt pressured to make sure that it was architecturally correct. The biggest problem I faced was in trying to capture an image of the home, while still remaining artistically interesting. I did not want the finished painting to look like a real estate advertisement. My hope was to capture it in a way that it was a painting first and a specific house second.

I still have a few days till I need to deliver it, so Comments and Critiques are welcomed!

http://www.wetcanvas.com/Community/images/01-Oct-2011/215139-Finished_Painting_1600x1200.jpg

inmystudio
10-01-2011, 08:55 PM
I really like this, what a gorgeous house. I want to walk around the back and see what's there!

pastelmimigt
10-01-2011, 09:46 PM
Beautiful! I think this has an artistic flare with the angle of the view and attention to details.

Please take a look at the bottom edge of the lower windows. Is the perspective correct?

Michele

lstrvr
10-01-2011, 10:09 PM
Thank you Deborah and Michele! The perspective on the lower windows is slightly off but it is relatively accurate to the photo. The window on the far left side of the painting is angled slightly more than should be, but the other 3 windows are actually pretty straight along their bottom edge even though the building curves. In the photograph, a ruler lines up the bottom edge of those 3 lower windows perfectly straight to each other, although their upper edges are curved in relation to each other. The perspective on these was a real challenge, and it is something I paid close attention too, but I understand that if it is looked at in a critical eye without photo evidence it may be open to question! I should add that even though I strive for accuracy I don't panic too much if things go slightly astray!

Thank you for the comments!

gaykir
10-01-2011, 10:14 PM
A real stunning achievement! I agree that I'd be tempted to widen that bottom left window at it's base just a hair to eliminate the feel that it is somehow off but I sure love this home and it's surroundings - what a place to call home!

WYSIWYG
10-02-2011, 02:10 AM
What a beautiful house and garden and a fantastic painting of it. The perspective looks quite tricky but works well! I'm sure it'll be treasured for years to come, even as we do of the old records of our house which now date back some 80 years!

kevinwueste
10-02-2011, 02:12 AM
how do you get single colors to lay down so uniformly ? I think it's pretty darn good!! - kw

AndyfromVienna
10-02-2011, 07:44 AM
superb painting!

:)

Andy

OkeeKat
10-02-2011, 02:06 PM
LOVE this Neil!!!:clap: :clap: :clap:
Awesome work and excellent details in the blinds, reflection on the windows and glass porch railing. Your folage, trees, brush and flowers are amazingly realistic, very impressive!!:thumbsup:
Other then the one window I wouldnt change a thing!!
I'm sure your friend is going to be overjoyed with this!!

Robwood
10-03-2011, 03:29 PM
Wonderful work, Neil. The view from flower-height gives it major presence!

Rob