PDA

View Full Version : pastel study for one of my next oil paintings

rudiratlos44
10-01-2011, 04:28 PM
x-postes from landscape forum!
At the moment I paint at a little bigger oil landscape painting after a photo from my vacation in the Wachau. There I will work certainly still for a while on it. Occasionally I have looked for other motives from my vacation. Here is a pastel study which is not worked out, however. It should be only a reference for an oil landscape painting. It's my first pastel painting for a long time, but its only a study. I see, the sky is a bit too dark for example, other improvements are necessary, I see it. I have concentrated only upon the essentials, have not worked out. I have painted with daylight lamp in the night and have also taken a photo of it with daylight of this study. Pastel on La Carde of Sennelier 30x40 cm. The rear building has an unusually sloping roof, I have made this consciously thus to improve the composition. I have taken the photo from a steamboat. Whats your opinion about the composition? For my oil painting I want to improve the composition, but I am not sure about it. Pleas help with advice. Thanks.
Rudi
http://www.wetcanvas.com/Community/images/01-Oct-2011/92442-pastell.jpg

etman
10-01-2011, 05:13 PM
very good

rudiratlos44
10-01-2011, 05:19 PM
Thank you very much etman.
Regards
Rudi

Davkin
10-01-2011, 08:54 PM
I think it's a great composition except for the straight line near the bottom that goes all the way across. I'd suggest to lose the water altogether and make that a field of some sort with a lead in. To me the focal area appears to be the steeple since that's the most prominent shape and the area of highest contrast, but for the western mind it's maybe not in the most ideal spot? It might work better mirrored so the focal area is in the upper right quadrant. Even as is it would make a fine painting.

David

rudiratlos44
10-02-2011, 05:19 AM
Thank you David. Just in the foreground is natural a sort of a mole, a bulwark by high water. It must be a straight line. I could bring in more variation in front of it, in colour and structurally. The focus is the steeple, yes. What do you mean with better are mirrored? What should I make? The mountain on the top right to bring more in the background, or the steeple more right side? Or did you mean the reflection in the water? The cause for the problem with the focus hangs together presumably with the fact that I have taken up the photo from the upper deck of a steamboat?
Regards
Rudi