PDA

View Full Version : Does Jerry's have secure checkout????

the drover's dog
10-01-2011, 04:04 AM
I'm all but through the checkout process at Jerry's and buying a Logan 750 mat cutter. I'd order pastels too, but the mat cutter might demolish them in transit.

When I get to the checkout, I find they do not accept overseas PayPal and there is no lock indicator coming up to reassure me their checkout using my Visa card is a secure process. They have a Verisign logo on the top of the page, but anyone can stick one of those on a website. When my little padlock indicating a secure checkout doesn't appear on my task bar, I get nervous.

I can buy the mat cutter and pay the postage and still get it for over $100 cheaper than it would cost in Australia.

Anyone have a definite answer to this? I don't suppose there is anyone answering emails at Jerry's over the weekend.

Dale

barriespapa
10-01-2011, 10:44 AM
Dale I use both jerry's and blick's using My m.c. card and have never had a problem. I also use norton 360 which tell me if a site is safe and it okay's jerry's. I do understand where you are coming from. Our credit cards are insured against fraud so it is not such a worry perhaps yours are also?
David

the drover's dog
10-01-2011, 11:54 AM
Thanks for the reassurance David. It does seem strange that there is nothing to indicate it is a secure transaction site other than the verisign logo. Why did the little secure site padlock not appear on my browser task bar? It does for every other secure site.

Of course the bank covers credit card fraud here, but I don't trust banks at all. If they can weazel out of their liabilities they will. I don't trust any of them as far as I could kick them.

Dale

Barbara WC
10-01-2011, 02:13 PM
Haven't had that problem, and I've ordered from Jerry's several times.

I did want to pipe in- Jerrys would likely ship the pastels in a seperate box from the mat cutter- so if you want to order pastels to save on shipping, do so! I've ordered many odd things together from Jerrys and other stores, and large paper ships in a different box from other items. I ordered a large mat cutter like yours last year, and it was in it's own seperate box from the other supplies I ordered.

Barbara

allydoodle
10-01-2011, 03:33 PM
Haven't had that problem, and I've ordered from Jerry's several times.

I did want to pipe in- Jerrys would likely ship the pastels in a seperate box from the mat cutter- so if you want to order pastels to save on shipping, do so! I've ordered many odd things together from Jerrys and other stores, and large paper ships in a different box from other items. I ordered a large mat cutter like yours last year, and it was in it's own seperate box from the other supplies I ordered.

Barbara

I've had the same experience, sheets of paper are shipped separately, and other large items as well. I've ordered carts for my studio (the ones with wheels on them), and they came in their own box. The rest of the order was packed separately. Maybe contact them first to see if they will pack pastels separately to ensure they're not just a pile of crumbs when you get them.

As far as the site being secure, I'd ask first before ordering if I didn't see the padlock at the top. Maybe place your order over the phone instead? I've done that as well for other reasons, and have had no problem.

averagejane
10-01-2011, 04:45 PM
From the FAQs ....Absolutely worry free shopping!

All orders use the latest encryption technology, daily security scans, pci compliance and online security measures ensuring your personal information is protected and safe at JerrysArtarama.com:

VeriSign Secured: Online encryption using SSL before transmission.
McAfee Secure: Makes sure JerrysArtarama.com has passed intensive, daily security scans
Trustwave (Trusted commerce): Your credit card and identity information are secure.

All security seals are located in the footer of the website and in the header throughout checkout.

the drover's dog
10-02-2011, 01:27 AM
Thanks for the reassurances.

Really their so-called seals are just logos on the page. The FAQs telling me it is safe, just don't cut it. Anyone can claim that. Unless my SSL indicator (the little padlock) comes up on my task bar, I don't believe them, whoever might own that e-commerce site. Not too impressed with them using McAfee to scan their site daily. There are better security suites out there for use.

Guess I'm just overly cautious, but I've been badly defrauded twice in my lifetime and that's enough for me. Not that I'm implying that Jerry's site might defraud me. I don't think it will. What I suffered was way beyond a little bit of credit card fraud and it has made me cynical about trusting.

Are you happy with your mat cutter Barb? I like the idea of the squaring arm, which is why I've decided on that model. Squaring up big sheets of mat board is not much fun. Would prefer a Fletcher, but can't afford the $3000 they cost here.

Dale

Barbara WC
10-02-2011, 12:26 PM
Hi Dale-

I too don't trust a site if the padlock doesn't come up on my taskbar- and I check everytime when ordering online. That's why I'm confused about your Jerry's experience. The padlock comes up my task bar when I've ordered from them.

I LOVE the Logan 750- the same model you are interested in. It has the squaring bar like you mention, but the thing I like the most are the production stops- no overcuts with those. And the anti-crawl pin is nice, so the blade doesn't move as you press it into the sheet of matboard.

Probably my only issue with the mat cutter, is I think it is made of particle board and not a different material, but it is laminated on the top, and I think it will last a long time with proper care. For storage, the squaring arm has to be removed, and the screw has a metal screw lining in the particle board, so it can be removed over and over without stripping the wood. My plan was to keep the mat cutter in the garage, but after finding out it was particle board, I now keep it in the house- which means removing the squaring arm each time.

But for the price, I'm okay with the particle board, and it does a terrific job. I used to cut mats with a handheld Logan mat cutter and "rail" on a metal 24" ruler, and usually would have to recut a mat two or three times not to have overcuts- wasted a lot of mat board that way- I'm not even sure they make it anymore, I got it 15 yrs. ago...

After a bit of a learning curve, I'm now cutting a mat in about 10 minutes, and rarely have to recut (usually if I do, it's not the fault of the mat cutter, but my math!).

Hope you get the checkout system to work for you.

the drover's dog
10-02-2011, 12:52 PM
Thanks for the info on the Logan 750 Barb. I'm currently using a 450 which is one of two that our Art Society own and it does have the pin on the bevel cutter but I keep forgetting to add an extra bit of mat board when cutting narrower double mats. The pin will not hold with the extra depth unless you add the extra bit to line up with the 2nd mat. If you rely on the pin in those circumstances, it doesn't hold and you find yourself with an overcut. In fact, I'm getting quite good at judging how much the bevel cutter will pull back into or over the line when you put it down into the mat. I just start about 2 mm inside the line and don't worry about the pin.

The trouble with using Society mat cutters is that some people forget to use the protective mat when bevel cutting and the groove is getting a bit wonky. The other one is really difficult to cut a straight line with due to this abuse. You always need to check that everything is still parallel too. Which is why I want to own my very own mat cutter. I have had this newer Art Soc., one at home for a few weeks. Took it back to our Thursday paint day last week because somebody wanted to cut mats and I ended up cutting four doubles for him as he couldn't remember how to do it! That done, I purloined the mat cutter and brought it home again and I'll mat everything I can put my hands on while I have it, even if I don't yet have frames for the paintings.

I think I will probably end up purchasing the 750 here. Then I will not have the worry about who is going to honour a warranty on the other side of the world.

Cheers,

Dale