PDA

View Full Version : New Home for Oreo the kitty

Lynndidj
09-30-2011, 08:13 PM
Hi - I know this is not about pastels, but some of you are real pet fans. My Mom is in hospice and will be leaving us sometime soon (days/weeks) and I need to find a home for her kitty, Oreo. She is a beautiful black and white cat about 6 or 7 years old. She is spayed and once she warms up to you, is incredibly loving. She has been a fantastic companion for my Mom when my Dad was in a nursing home and after he died, and throughout her breast cancer treatment. I live in the Chicago area and am willing to drive her to a good home, within reason. I don't think she would do well in a home with young children, but other than that, I think she would do great with a family, couple, or even someone who lives alone, like my Mom has. If you, or someone you know, would like to give Oreo a home, please let me know.

Thanks,

Lynn

bluefish
09-30-2011, 08:27 PM
Lynn......so sorry about your Mom.....you are in my thoughts and prayers.....it's not easy losing a loved one.....I know only to intimately.....

but Oreo.....maybe Judy G, who lives just southwest of you,would know someone who needs a nice kitty......you could PM her or hope she sees this....best of luck to you.....'blue' :wave:

robertsloan2
09-30-2011, 08:35 PM
I hope you can find a good home for her. She sounds like a total sweetheart. That's so sad your Mom couldn't have her in the hospice, I hope you can find her a good place soon and put your mother's heart at ease about her.

Turpintine45
09-30-2011, 08:46 PM
Lynn sorry to hear about your Mum. It's so hard to loose a beloved parent even when you think you are prepared. You are in my thoughts and prayers.
Sorry I am too far away to help with Oreo she sounds a sweetie and is probably missing your Mum too. My kids are in Chicago but they already have an ornery black cat!

Barbara WC
09-30-2011, 11:15 PM
Lynn-

Sorry to hear about your mom. She and Oreo are lucky to have you looking out for them.

Have you tried asking someone at the hospice for a recommendation? There are pet adoption places my area of San Francisco that are kitty specific and often place cats from people in your same situation. If no one at the hospice can help, try looking at www.petfinder.com (http://www.petfinder.com) you might be able to locate a kitty specific adoption agency in your area. The local humane society might also have a list.

Oreo sounds sweet, and I'm sure there is a loving home is waiting for her.

Lynndidj
09-30-2011, 11:34 PM
Thanks all - Mom is still at home with her kitty and her husband, with caregivers as she also has dementia. The good thing about having breast cancer and dementia is that she doesn't know or remember that she has metastasized breast cancer. She also doesn't have any pain - and it is in her bones and her liver, and that is as far as we know. So, we are grateful she has no pain, we are grateful she is happy and doesn't realize that she is dying, and we are grateful that she will go directly into the arms of Jesus when she passes. That is our only comfort in life and death.

I have asked several other folks to be looking out for a home for Oreo, as she is indeed a special kitty. I wish I could keep her, but I would have to give up my husband as he is horribly allergic to cats, so that is NOT an option! But perhaps someone on WC might know someone who would want her. I will check with hospice, and the petfinder - thanks Barbara.

Lynn

japonaise
09-30-2011, 11:45 PM
Lynn:

Thinking of you and holding a good thought for Oreo.

Jann

Tracy Lang
10-01-2011, 12:08 AM
Lynn, Bless you for thinking about this kitty when you are dealing with so much with your parents...so many beloved pets are frightened and abandoned when their owners have life changes. I wish I was closer. Please check the local rescue groups...they will surely be able to help you.
Enjoy each and every second that you have with your Mom. I am still so devastated over my Moms passing...even though it was "for the best and etc"
I would give anything to gaze into her eyes and kiss her sweet face.
If you ever want to talk pm me

DBfarmgirl
10-01-2011, 09:38 AM
good luck and God Bless.

JudyG
10-01-2011, 03:25 PM
Hi Lynn,

I'm so sorry about your Mom. My prayers are with you. It sounds like she is in a good place herself so that is a blessing. I also know how it is to lose someone you love. I don't know anyone looking for a wonderful kitty, but I will certainly ask around to my friends. I live near you so if I can find someone it would make if very easy.

Judy

Lynndidj
10-02-2011, 04:49 PM
Thanks to all - such wonderful people here on WC. It is not hard to care about Oreo - she has been such a wonderful companion to my Mom. I'll even throw in a year of food and litter, but they have to love her!!!

Lynn