PDA

View Full Version : Mike's Sunflower - 8th in Sunflower Series

pastelmimigt
09-30-2011, 12:42 PM
OK. I know you all are probably sick of sunflowers - well here's a new one anyway. :lol:

Acrylic on 20x16 canvas. C&C's appreciated!

Thanks,
Michele

P.S. BTW, the cad orange didn't turn out to be as brilliant as I had hoped, but I was able to work with it anyway. And I liked it better than mixing cad yellow med & cad red medium. :cat:

http://www.wetcanvas.com/Community/images/30-Sep-2011/78182-Mikes_Sunflower_-_DSC_9466_-_web.JPG

Andrew
09-30-2011, 01:07 PM
Intense close-ups of floral subject are not my cuppa tea. But I really like how you rendered the petals.

What brand of Cad Orange? Depending on the brand, if I need it brighter, I add touch of cad red light or cad yellow light.

Andrew

pastelmimigt
09-30-2011, 01:09 PM
Liquitex. Doing this series, I've learned I absolutely love cad yellow light!

Andrew
09-30-2011, 01:18 PM
My base palette is Cad Yellow light, Aliz crimson, and Ult. blue.

A touch of cad yell to aliz give a wonderful warm primary red, and a touch of aliz crimson to the cad yellow gives a wonderful orange. I also can get great mixes of greens and earth tones.

My next level adds Yellow Ochre (or Naples yellow) Cad red lt, Cerulean blue, and occasionally Veridian (as a color modifier not as a green) and ivory black (which I use as another blue).

Andrew

Haptopaint
09-30-2011, 02:58 PM
Okay Michele when are you going to paint something else? :D Just kidding-- you paint what your heart desires.

I like how you painted the petals and I love the blue that you used for your background- ties in nicely with the rest of the painting.

Did you say you were going to paint a rose next time--:wink2:

More serious note-- your painting is lovely !

inmystudio
09-30-2011, 06:14 PM
Such a happy subject, I can see why you want to keep on painting sunflowers :)

OkeeKat
09-30-2011, 07:11 PM
Love it, you do these sunflowers so well. Great series!!

ladypainter
10-01-2011, 08:04 AM
Love sunflowers and this is just beautiful.Nice work

gaykir
10-01-2011, 11:48 AM
Outstanding!

pastelmimigt
10-01-2011, 06:08 PM
Andrew - thanks for naming your palette. I bought some alizarin crimson today and will experiment with it. Looking forward to getting some new oranges and other colors.

Haptopaint - Thanks. The blue is phthalocyanine blue (green shade) - that's a mouthful. I absolutely love it!! BTW, I think I'm going to go to landscapes next, LOL. Just one more (maybe two) sunflower painting. :D

inmystudio, OkeeKat, ladypainter, gaykir - Thanks! :cat:

pastelmimigt
10-02-2011, 12:54 PM
I'm thinking the center is too dark/uniform and needs more highlights. What do you think? Leave well enough alone? ;-)

Michele