PDA

View Full Version : Transport for a framed pastel from NH to IL

kittycatsue
09-29-2011, 01:40 PM
I need to find transport for a large framed and glazed pastel from southern New Hampshire to a suburb of Chicago. I know it will be expensive. I have found a number of places that can do it but I was hoping someone would have had personal experience with a company that they could recommend. Thanks!!

bluefish
09-29-2011, 02:12 PM
Judy G lives in southwestern Ill., maybe she could help......

Deborah Secor
09-29-2011, 06:24 PM
I've had to hire trucking transport on occasion, though not in your area. You'll need a crate, and the price will go by weight, not so much size. If it's truly larger than any of the usual shipping carriers, like UPS or FEDEX, will accept (which has to be truly huge--they take pretty big work, ask about oversize charges), I'd seek a private carrier. Look for courier services or folks who will hire to drive it for you.

Look into Strongboxes or ULINE boxes, too. Even if you end up trucking it, these boxes would be worth using.

kittycatsue
09-29-2011, 06:53 PM
Thanks, Deborah. I had one quote where they wanted to pack it and they would deliver it for around $400. This is from an art transport company. I know it's a lot but the client is willing to pay. This was just an online quote. I haven't talked to them yet. I was just hoping someone had used an art transport company around here and knew they were dependable.

JudyG
10-01-2011, 12:41 AM
I wish I could help, but I have never had to ship a painting. I'm afraid I can't recommend anyone.

kittycatsue
10-01-2011, 12:52 AM
Thanks anyway, Judy. I called a place called ShipSmart and am getting a quote from them. I know it will be awfully expensive but it is a large portrait that really needs to get there intact.

kittycatsue
10-01-2011, 01:01 AM
Katiehttp://www.wetcanvas.com/Community/images/30-Sep-2011/978464-Katie.jpg

Deborah Secor
10-01-2011, 02:00 AM
Dynamite piece. Such movement, gesture and character. I like her just from seeing it.

Turpintine45
10-01-2011, 02:00 AM
Well worth taking good care with this master piece!!!

JudyG
10-01-2011, 08:35 AM
WOW, that is a wonderful painting. She is lovely.

kittycatsue
10-01-2011, 12:45 PM
Thanks for all the nice comments! I will let you know how the transport works out. Hopefully I won't have to do this very often. I am going to look into getting a reusable crate.

Barbara WC
10-01-2011, 03:25 PM
How big is the painting? It is lovely.

This may not help, but I've shipped a 20"x30" watercolor painting through UPS from California to Texas before, glazed with glass, and it arrived soundly. They packed it for me, and it was double boxed- box within a box. I think it was around $100 for the packing and shipping.

I haven't shipped a pastel before though, so don't know if my watercolor info helps...