PDA

View Full Version : Another horse-memorial piece

equinespirit
09-29-2011, 10:16 AM
Ive just finished this, its for a friend who very sadly lost her beautiful mare this year :crying:

Unfortunately she didnt have any decent pics, I spent 3 days staring at pics and wondering how on earth I was going to create anything remotely ok from what I had.
So Im fairly pleased with the result , c&c welcome as always.

http://www.wetcanvas.com/Community/images/29-Sep-2011/972722-0097_HDR2_copy.jpg

sketchNpaint
09-29-2011, 10:32 AM
OMG you did an amazing job on this. I absolutely dig it. I really like that you kept the bg the same color family as the horse's coat, makes it have a timeless feel. I also especially am drawn to your detail work in the mane, muzzle and eye. I say you have nothing to be afraid of with this piece and everything to be proud of. GORGEOUS PIECE!

allydoodle
09-29-2011, 10:55 AM
Wow, Sarah, this is georgous. I love the peaceful feeling I get, it almost feels like heaven, something that will comfort your friend I'm sure. The background is perfect, it sets the mood and harmonizes the whole thing. You've used that light value totally to your advantage, beautiful work.

equinespirit
09-29-2011, 12:40 PM
Thank you so much Sharla and Chris for such lovely comments!

barriespapa
09-29-2011, 01:28 PM
Another great painting you never cease to amaze me Sarah. Some what like you are on a hyper active painting spree, in love with your palette :D

SherryC
09-29-2011, 02:35 PM
Sarah. I love this. He looks quite regal.

Dougwas
09-29-2011, 03:24 PM
You have created a mood that is perfect for the story. I am sure the horse's owner will love this.

Doug

equinespirit
09-29-2011, 05:29 PM
Thanks for the lovely comments David, Sherry and Doug.
And David you are making me laugh again :lol: :lol: but yes, I get a bit obsessive once Ive started on something :o I did manage to give myself 3 days off over the weekend though when I drew nothing atall :eek:
Mind you I spent several hours looking at photos thinking about drawing instead :rolleyes: :lol:

Barbara WC
09-29-2011, 06:35 PM
Beautiful painting Sarah, especially when having to work from less than ideal reference photos. I really keep going back to the eye- nice capture of expression.

Your friend will find comfort in this piece. Nice choice of color for the background, it is very calming and serene.

Barbara

AlwaysLearn
09-29-2011, 07:12 PM
WoW! Absolutely beautiful!

Turpintine45
09-29-2011, 09:51 PM
Beautiful painting. I like the simplicity of colour.

equinespirit
09-30-2011, 02:48 AM
Thank you Barbara,Cindy and Jen :grouphug:
And Jen, I was asked not to use any yellows/creams and stick to whites/greys/blues as thats how the owner 'saw' her.
I did sneak a little saffron in there but not too much.

Jayde
09-30-2011, 03:47 AM
Beautiful work!

catgabriel
09-30-2011, 07:38 AM
really love this! :clap:

equinespirit
09-30-2011, 05:58 PM
Thank you Jayde and Cat!

ironbrush
09-30-2011, 06:48 PM
Equinespirit...
This is a gorgeous painting and you've really caprtured the personality of this fine horse. Your friend will be much pleased, I am sure of it.
I can appreciate the time you spent staring at photos of this horse. Sometimes it's not easy to paint-in "personality".
Many years ago I did an oil painting (on black velvet of all things), of my wife's Morgan mare. I had no problem with the overall likeness but when it came to "Gypsy's" personality it took me several tries over a week's time to get it right.
I can tell there was a lot of thought in your observation of her expression. This is beautifully done.
Steven

Dea
09-30-2011, 08:38 PM
Beautiful painting and beautiful horse, I'm sure her owner will be over the moon,
Deanna

equinespirit
10-01-2011, 02:59 AM
Thank you Steven and Deanna! What kind comments :wave:

My friend has seen it now and was very emotional about it :heart: she has found a special frame and it will be on her wall as soon as that arrives.