PDA

View Full Version : New Course Oct 15- Essentials of Painting Trees

Johannes Instructor
09-28-2011, 01:16 AM
This is to let you know that Northlight has opened the registration link for the next upcoming course.
Essentials of Painting Trees

Every landscape painting has trees. Knowing how to depict them from the artistic perspective will greatly enhance your paintings. In this 6 week live online course, you will learn to symbolize trees with interesting forms and pleasing shapes, the way they should look in landscape paintings. Join Johannes and our hundreds of students once again to learn all the top pro secrets. We will cover techniques in how to depict pine trees, autumn trees, bare winter trees, and how to solve the difficulty of monochromatic green trees. There will be video demos in watercolor, oils, pastels and acrylics.

Dates: October 15 – November 19
Time: 1:00 – 3:30 EST

Here is the registration link
http://www.northlightshop.com/product/wetcanvas-live-essentials-of-painting-trees-with-johannes-vloothuis-v6507/

The course is about $10.00 more expensive that the other course but this one is 6 weeks instead of 4 because it will include pine trees as well so if you prorated it, it is the same price per class as the previous ones you took. I hope to see you on October 15.

robertsloan2
09-28-2011, 03:07 PM
Looking forward to it, Johannes! This is going to be great!

schilderesje
09-28-2011, 05:52 PM
I just signed up, and I'm looking forward to it!

Toine in CT

Pinklady219
09-28-2011, 06:12 PM
:wave: Yeah! I just registered as well. I'll need to clean my glasses!! LOL :clap:

oCDs01-711
09-28-2011, 07:48 PM
I registered the first minute I received the link. I know that my painting has improved because at my local "live" painting class, the artist-teacher and several much experienced students ALL have told me how much I've improved (they don't know I'm learning from Johannes)! I can tell I've improved with the confidence I feel! Thanks, Johannes.

Shirley

nougat
09-28-2011, 10:35 PM
i've booked too :)

sapphirelynn
09-28-2011, 11:47 PM
sooo looking forward to this, glad they are recorded because I will miss a couple of them live

Banner
09-29-2011, 05:46 AM
I have booked too,looking forward to the next lesson

paskavau
09-29-2011, 10:54 AM
I signed up for this course and I hope I learn as much as in the previous classes.

Johannes Instructor
09-29-2011, 10:57 AM
I signed up for this course and I hope I learn as much as in the previous classes.
You bet you will learn a lot. I expect the attendees to become quite assertive at painting trees.

Monica1
09-29-2011, 01:09 PM
I learned so much in the mountain course, I have just signed up for the painting trees!

IrmaH322
09-29-2011, 02:16 PM
I already signed up, really need this one.

Monica1
09-29-2011, 02:45 PM
Im wondering here if I would need to get any extra green paint besides viridian. I have a very limited pallete for landscapes that I'm getting based on the previous suggestions from the mountains....

robertsloan2
09-29-2011, 07:13 PM
Yay! I just signed up! I also bought the Chroma Atelier Interactive Acrylics set that Johannes recommended in the email. It looked good and was within my range thanks to a friend who sent me two gift certificates. The price is excellent and the set includes both a good range of 12 colors in 20ml tubes plus Fast medium, Slow medium, Unlocking Formula and a fine mist sprayer for rewetting areas in order to feather them out over dried paint.

I've also got watersoluble oils to fool with on my assignments. This is going to be a joy. I love trees. Johannes covered trees in the long general course but I know I can improve my trees a lot with six more classes especially on trees!

valh
09-29-2011, 07:31 PM
Can't wait for this class to start! I can really use help in this area.
Will sign up soon as I return home.
Cheers!
Val

Fiestyone
09-29-2011, 09:22 PM
Johannes: I just signed up for the Essential of Painting Trees. I am looking forward to another great class. My paintings have improved tremendously since I've been taking classes taught by you. Thank you for continuing to teach. I am ready to learn.

Janet

Johannes Instructor
09-29-2011, 09:30 PM
Johannes: I just signed up for the Essential of Painting Trees. I am looking forward to another great class. My paintings have improved tremendously since I've been taking classes taught by you. Thank you for continuing to teach. I am ready to learn.

Janet
So glad to hear this!

Johannes Instructor
09-29-2011, 09:33 PM
Im wondering here if I would need to get any extra green paint besides viridian. I have a very limited pallete for landscapes that I'm getting based on the previous suggestions from the mountains....
You can use ultramarine blue plus any primary yellow such as Cadmium yellow lemon.
The trick is the ultramarine blue has red in it that when mixed with the yellow will knock back some of the garrishness. Many professional use ultramarine blue and a primary yellow.

Jean50
09-30-2011, 03:45 PM
I just signed up. so excited. Just made a trip to Colo. and the trees are so beautiful. Can't wait for the class to start so I can paint some trees with Johannes's help.

Amandine
10-01-2011, 10:56 AM
Registered this morning (had to wait after the date of my credit card statement - there's a limit at the money I can spend each month) and got a promo discount of 3 $. Great :thumbsup:

I really look forward to those classes ; between now and the 15, it will be a long wait.

beart
10-01-2011, 07:32 PM
I registered a few days ago. Looking forward to it.

spudsmom
10-02-2011, 12:03 PM
Just registered for the tree class! This is exactly what I need. My mountains are coming along beautifully but I only want to paint them if I don't have to try to put any trees in the pix...not a good place to be.
Watercolor paints that we might need? indian red, ultramarine blue,cadmium yellow lemon, anything else?

THanks,
Sherri

PS typing skills are improving due to earlier broken wrist - painting not a problem :-)

Johannes Instructor
10-03-2011, 12:07 PM
Just registered for the tree class! This is exactly what I need. My mountains are coming along beautifully but I only want to paint them if I don't have to try to put any trees in the pix...not a good place to be.
Watercolor paints that we might need? indian red, ultramarine blue,cadmium yellow lemon, anything else?

THanks,
Sherri

PS typing skills are improving due to earlier broken wrist - painting not a problem :-)
Every professional artist will differ when it comes to palettes. What I use suggest for watercolor would be:
Indian Red
Ultramarine blue
Raw Sienna
Burnt Sienna
Transparent yellow
All the above are the work horse colors so to say. I keep others on the side for other reasons such as cobalt blue, permanent rose, quincadrone gold, hookers green. I will go into more detail in class. As you can see none of 5 colors listed at the top are garrish. This way you don't end up overdoing the chroma.

Monica1
10-04-2011, 07:12 PM
TAlking about quinacridone gold, I wanted to buy that color in oils, and can't find it. I've been reading that that pigment was discontinued, so it seems only one brand is carrying, and I found maimeri puro but it is so expensive.
I was wondering if there is any alternative to quin gold, like an transparent yellow or something else?
Quin gold would probably be great in autumn leafs.

Monica

Johannes Instructor
10-05-2011, 12:50 AM
TAlking about quinacridone gold, I wanted to buy that color in oils, and can't find it. I've been reading that that pigment was discontinued, so it seems only one brand is carrying, and I found maimeri puro but it is so expensive.
I was wondering if there is any alternative to quin gold, like an transparent yellow or something else?

Monica
I use quinacridone gold in watercolor to glaze when I want to harmonize the colors or when I apply it on my students' work it removes the excess brushstrokes that results from overworking tree foliage. I have not needed it for oils but it does fall under the yellow orange hue.

painter 55
10-05-2011, 06:19 AM
Jo, will you include any tropical or flowering trees in this study? Just wondering. Thanks.

Johannes Instructor
10-05-2011, 11:19 AM
Jo, will you include any tropical or flowering trees in this study? Just wondering. Thanks.
Give me a picture of what you are referring to and I will see if I can fit it in.

ecloudy
10-05-2011, 03:29 PM
Johannes-
I have been enjoying the courses, and learning a great deal. I had a question if the format was going to be the same as all the others. meaning if I miss a class, will the lecture AND the demonstration be posted for me later? Northlight said the demonstration would be posted, but didn't exactly call out the class lecture being posted.
Thanks.

lorigina
10-05-2011, 03:41 PM
Hi Johannes. Soooo glad you are back with new classes-Just registered for Essentials of Painting Trees. I've just started painting a forest scene, and I need help. I'm really looking forward to this class.

painter 55
10-06-2011, 11:39 AM
Hi Jo. I am thinking palm trees, large leaf foliage, flowering Jacaranda trees--tropical. I don't know how to get pix on this yet but I think "tropical" as I'm in FL. Of course we have the oaks and ficus, fruit trees, but also Banyon. I know you are from cold country but you lived in Mexico so I think you understand.

robertsloan2
10-08-2011, 09:45 PM

Monica

Daniel Smith has Quinacridone Gold in their oil paints. 37ml tubes are $17.40 - it's an expensive pigment. But I love its transparency and rich color. If you wanted those unifying glazes in oils at least that might be lower than the Maimeri Puro.

I haven't tried the DS oils but I love their watercolors.

Speaking of colors and paint, I just got my set of Chroma Interactive Atelier Acrylics. I hope it's all right to just use the hues in the set, since I don't have all of the basic colors you put in your oils or watercolor palette. It's got Ultramarine, Crimson (probably not Alizarin), Arylamide Yellow Light and Deep, Transparent Orange, Yellow Ochre, Burnt Sienna, Pthalo Green, Permanent Green Light, Dioxazine Violet (a favorite of mine), Carbon Black and Titanium White.

So it's got primaries, warm/cool yellow and green, orange, violet, a couple of useful earths, black and white.

elisamaria
10-09-2011, 12:53 PM
Johannes, I am counting the days now till you open your classroom door again. I am your faithful student, learning so much from your excellent lectures and great demos. I have really been aware of my surroundings in a better way now with all your help. Thank you so much! To read art books is many times good, BUT go to Johannes΄s live classes is gold!:thumbsup: Love to meet you and all the students among the trees.:)
Elisabeth

Jeannie M
10-11-2011, 04:51 PM
Any chance in your tree course of palm trees or California oak trees for us California painters?
Your landscape course made a remarkable difference in my skills. So great to be able to refer to the classes whenever I want.
Thanks so much for your generosity of spirit.
Jeannie

Jeannie M
10-11-2011, 04:55 PM
Maybe eucalyptus trees!

jennifervs
10-12-2011, 11:33 AM
My vote for trees:
Live Oaks
Scrubby beach trees
Trees in winter when they have no foliage....
See you Saturday!

Obion
10-12-2011, 04:30 PM
I registered the minute I received the link also. Looking forward to this course. Barbara

vac911
10-12-2011, 06:25 PM
I would like to see a sycamore tree.

sherrysherman
10-12-2011, 07:38 PM
I just got the official email today about the trees class. Even tho he did some pine trees, leafy trees, and winter trees in the long class (paintings from photos), I'm sure there's a lot I missed or forgot .... plus, I just like being in Johannes's class. :) I miss them when they're not on.

What I really liked was that partway down the email there is a line that reads "Paint like Johannes with a Chroma Atelier Interactive Paint Set," followed by a link to purchase the paint set. So if we buy that set we'll be able to paint like Johannes?? That's all it takes?? Woo-hoo, how cool is that?

I join with those who'd like to see additional kinds of trees, but I don't have particular trees in mind. Maybe some closer views of the trunks and main branches, which can have wonderful shapes and textures, e.g., aspen.

hewill4giveu
10-12-2011, 10:31 PM
Joe it makes me sad because i cant take the coarse this go around. Finances wont allow it right now. Trying to move back to colorado and retire the first of Nov. I truely hope they put it on dvd so i can get it at a later date. Sure will miss it. The first one i will not get :(

Johannes Instructor
10-13-2011, 12:38 AM
I just got the official email today about the trees class. Even tho he did some pine trees, leafy trees, and winter trees in the long class (paintings from photos), I'm sure there's a lot I missed or forgot .... plus, I just like being in Johannes's class. :) I miss them when they're not on.

What I really liked was that partway down the email there is a line that reads "Paint like Johannes with a Chroma Atelier Interactive Paint Set," followed by a link to purchase the paint set. So if we buy that set we'll be able to paint like Johannes?? That's all it takes?? Woo-hoo, how cool is that?

I join with those who'd like to see additional kinds of trees, but I don't have particular trees in mind. Maybe some closer views of the trunks and main branches, which can have wonderful shapes and textures, e.g., aspen.
Don't forget to request this once we are in action.

Johannes Instructor
10-13-2011, 12:39 AM
Any chance in your tree course of palm trees or California oak trees for us California painters?
Your landscape course made a remarkable difference in my skills. So great to be able to refer to the classes whenever I want.
Thanks so much for your generosity of spirit.
Jeannie
I will take requests and if necessary work overtime to demo what you want to see. Just bring it up once the class is in motion.

nougat
10-13-2011, 04:29 AM
thanks sooo much johannes.
i registered for the class ages ago - and i've just received 3 emails reminding me to register...i hope nothing has gone wrong... i'm sooo looking forward to saturday's class. even tho i am up to my eyes in work and commitments at the moment :)

Johannes Instructor
10-13-2011, 09:37 AM
thanks sooo much johannes.
i registered for the class ages ago - and i've just received 3 emails reminding me to register...i hope nothing has gone wrong... i'm sooo looking forward to saturday's class. even tho i am up to my eyes in work and commitments at the moment :)
Yes, you are registered.

Vida Evenson
10-13-2011, 09:55 AM
I live in Greece so olive trees would be my vote... they're so beautiful, full of character and a bit chaotic (much like the Greeks themselves).

Looking forward to this class very much. I have tried to get into Larry Seiler's class the last 2 sessions but couldn't get in. I hope this won't happen on Saturday.

Vida

Johannes Instructor
10-13-2011, 03:09 PM
Essentials of Trees Outline. You will learn how:
• to harmonize garish autumn scenes.
• to deal with monotonous summer greens.
• to create depth in foliage so the painting looks 3D.
• to symbolize trees instead of rendering.
• to problem solve trees that are in a row.
• to depict bare winter trees.
• to work with a recommended palette.
• to deal with pine trees that look so similar.
• to eliminate competing factors so the trees stand out as the theme of your painting.
• to avoid a pasted on effect and integrate your trees properly in context.

cuidado
10-13-2011, 06:13 PM
I took your Painting from Photographs course and learned an incredible amount. I think you are a wonderful teacher.

I work every Saturday afternoon now and want to know if I can view the streamed version of the course more than once.

Rosemarie
10-14-2011, 12:18 AM
I took your Painting from Photographs course and learned an incredible amount. I think you are a wonderful teacher.

I work every Saturday afternoon now and want to know if I can view the streamed version of the course more than once.

Cuidado, you can watch the streaming videos again and again! And they don't wear out like old videos tapes. :wave:

cuidado
10-14-2011, 04:34 AM
Thanks, Rosemarie. I'll sign up now.

beart
10-14-2011, 01:38 PM
Hey, I'm glad you sent me two emails to register. I had purchased the course on trees:clap: weeks ago and thought it was registered so I went back to my receipt and read the part click here to register. It pays to read it over thoroughly.:clap:

mij
10-14-2011, 04:16 PM
I have just 'booked' and got charged $7.00 for shipping, do we get a dvd out of this then?
Also the page would not be accepted unless I completed the choice of a State - even after I indicated that I was in the UK. I put in Alabama crazy or what!
jim

Tonalist
10-14-2011, 04:53 PM
I just registered myself earlier today.. This will be the first one for me.
I didn't know about the mountain webinar until it was over. We will be able to watch streaming videos over and over if we want?
woody

Colorix
10-14-2011, 05:13 PM
Jim, I once put in Alaska, considering I'm far north... it worked for me, now, but I did put a check marking it as International.

I registered today, too, even though I've had two rounds of trees with Johannes, I think I need another one. Trees are tricky. Or, old habits take time to de-learn.

Streaming worked fine with the Buildings, but not the pdf.

hewill4giveu
10-14-2011, 07:34 PM
Joe will we be able to enroll in this coarse while its going on? I need to wait until the 26th to sign up if i can? Cant stand the thought of missing one ugh

mij
10-14-2011, 07:42 PM
I shall laugh if I get snail mail with Alabama in the addy :lol::lol::lol:

I need all the help I can get with trees :wink2:

BTW SWMBO says she's no lady, you'll have to look up the dikshunary to see what she means by that..... by jove she's right too :lol::lol::lol:
jim

mij
10-15-2011, 03:48 AM
I have just 'booked' and got charged $7.00 for shipping, do we get a dvd out of this then?
Also the page would not be accepted unless I completed the choice of a State - even after I indicated that I was in the UK. I put in Alabama crazy or what!
jim
Duh! Was I brain dead last night or what? The shipping was for the Interactive acrylics that I also ordered - stupid boy - got to the corner of the room and put on this conical head device! :grouphug: (they are not in a group hug, they are whispering about how stupid he is!)
jim

Rosemarie
10-15-2011, 03:59 AM
Jim, I once put in Alaska, considering I'm far north... it worked for me, now, but I did put a check marking it as International.

I registered today, too, even though I've had two rounds of trees with Johannes, I think I need another one. Trees are tricky. Or, old habits take time to de-learn.

Streaming worked fine with the Buildings, but not the pdf.

Have you managed getting the PDF, Charlie. I did not have any problems. I could send you a copy. It is only 3,2 Mb.

Colorix
10-15-2011, 05:11 AM
Hej Rosmarie, thank you for offering! I couldn't open the pdf with Kenneth's talk, in the Building class (last session?), so I'd love to get that one. I'll PM you.

Jim, we'll hug you, no need to stand in corner.

mij
10-15-2011, 07:00 AM
Thanks Charlie, takes of conical head gear and comes out of the corner - stupid boy - siiiit! :o
jim

Johannes Instructor
10-15-2011, 11:12 AM
I just registered myself earlier today.. This will be the first one for me.
I didn't know about the mountain webinar until it was over. We will be able to watch streaming videos over and over if we want?
woody
Yes, you will be able to watch the streaming video option for this current tree course.

Johannes Instructor
10-15-2011, 11:14 AM
Joe will we be able to enroll in this coarse while its going on? I need to wait until the 26th to sign up if i can? Cant stand the thought of missing one ugh
You will be able to enroll and catch up with the streaming video option as long as it is before November 19.

Dharma_bum
10-15-2011, 11:43 AM
I enrolled a couple of days ago, but didn't get an invitation with the link to the class like I have previously. How do I find the class??

Thanks,

Dan

Johannes Instructor
10-15-2011, 11:48 AM
I enrolled a couple of days ago, but didn't get an invitation with the link to the class like I have previously. How do I find the class??

Thanks,

Dan

I just sent a reconfirmation email to everyone. Did you get it?

Rosemarie
10-15-2011, 11:55 AM

Thanks,

Dan

Dan - it is a mail from North Light Shop with the order confirmation.
Somewhere in the middle they give you a link for completing the registration.

Dharma_bum
10-15-2011, 11:59 AM
I just sent a reconfirmation email to everyone. Did you get it?

No, I didn't get the email.

Dan

J.Lloyd
10-15-2011, 12:02 PM
Johannes,
I am lookiong forward to class this afternoon. Are there any books that you would recommend?

Joan

Dharma_bum
10-15-2011, 12:03 PM
Johannes,

Just went back to my saved registration page and noticed noticed that there is a place where I have to register from that page. Will do that now.

Dan

Rosemarie
10-15-2011, 12:04 PM
Johannes,

Just went back to my saved registration page and noticed noticed that there is a place where I have to register from that page. Will do that now.

Dan

That is probably the page I meant!

Dharma_bum
10-15-2011, 12:05 PM
OK, looks like I'm good to go. Thanks

Dan

Katsan
10-15-2011, 12:17 PM
Did not receive info re: how to enter class today- what should I do? Katsan

Rosemarie
10-15-2011, 12:23 PM
Katsan - have you registered to Gotomeeting? It is a link in yout North Light Shop order confirmation. Look in you Mail box.

When you have registered with go to meeting you will get mail from Wetcanvas Live with a new link to click on. That link you use each session. You will get numerous reminders, I think I got 4 today already.

Johannes Instructor
10-15-2011, 04:43 PM
Give me your name so I can see if you are registered.

robertsloan2
10-15-2011, 05:42 PM
I was so excited about this Trees class that yesterday I thought it was Saturday and got out of bed early to make sure I wouldn't miss class. Then I got out of bed early this morning and opened the webinar before it started.

It's wonderful. It's just as great as I thought it would be. While most of it was familiar from previous classes, it was tight and focused. I heard some cool new analogies and saw cool new examples of everything.

Best of all, the repetition drives it in so deep that I don't have to consciously think about it when painting. My little thumbnails in my notes were better than usual. I think my note-taking has also turned into fantastic thumbnailing practice.

I'd encourage everyone to try to sketch thumbnails of what Johannes is talking about during class, it's easier to remember if your hand's done it right.

I also looked around at my latest paintings. I realized that in many of them I've been applying the principles from earlier classes without consciously thinking about them. The more I come to these classes, the more these habits and ideas sink in.

Five pages of notes today, and my thumbnails are better than ever. Thank you again, Johannes, for sharing all these tips and tricks. They make a world of difference in my paintings. The more of them I use, even if I get looser and less detailed, the more I hear "It's so real!" from non painters. As opposed to overdetailing, noodling over every leaf and it still doesn't look real.

Amandine
10-15-2011, 05:53 PM
I was so excited about this Trees class that yesterday I thought it was Saturday and got out of bed early to make sure I wouldn't miss class. Then I got out of bed early this morning and opened the webinar before it started.
:lol: :lol: :lol:
Robert, you're unique !

Today, we had a great class. Lot of important information. We will have - at least, I will have - to watch the video again and again to understand everything, remember everything and then, putting it in practice. WOW :thumbsup: Thanks, Johannes.

painterted
10-15-2011, 08:46 PM
Johannas, I didn't get a link today for the tree course. I couldn't watch it any way, but I would like to no for sure that get it next Sat.

thanks ted

mickisew
10-15-2011, 08:56 PM
Hi Johannes:

It is such a pleasure to be back in class. Although much was familiar today from previous classes, it is good (for me) to have the principles engraved in memory so they are put into process routinely. I look forward to any and all classes with you as the instructor - your manner of teaching and sharing is most agreeable.

Thanks to you, Ken, Judy and Robert. May we continue our journey for a long time - there is so much to learn.

Micki

Tonalist
10-15-2011, 09:10 PM
This is the first class I've taken with Johannes... "What a GREAT class"!...
so much information. I don't know what to do first.. get excited for next weeks class or get excited to be able to watch the video again of todays class.

Johannes... I really enjoyed this and learned a lot!
woody

Johannes Instructor
10-15-2011, 11:46 PM
Johannas, I didn't get a link today for the tree course. I couldn't watch it any way, but I would like to no for sure that get it next Sat.

thanks ted
I sent out another confirmation email about 2 hours before the class. Did you not get that one? Check your junk or spam folder.

painterted
10-15-2011, 11:56 PM
No Johannes, I didn't get anything.

ted

sherrysherman
10-16-2011, 12:17 AM
No Johannes, I didn't get anything.

ted
Ted, one thing that was easy to miss is that at the bottom of your original online registration receipt, OR near the bottom of your registration confirmation email from North Light Shop, there is a link that you must click in order to get registered on the GoToWebinar site. You click there, it takes you to GoToMeeting, where you have to fill out your name, address, email address. Once you do that, you will get two or more email reminders for each class. The reminder emails come from Wet Canvas Live. They contain the direct link to GoToWebinar.

Could that be the step you missed?

Of course, for the next class, even though we will receive this reminder and link for GoToWebinar, that is NOT where Johannes will be conducting the class. He plans to send out emails as to where we need to go for the next class - it is a video demo.

jillmc3
10-16-2011, 11:33 AM
Johannes, as a resident of the Texas Gulf Coast, I was wondering if you are going to include palm trees in this class? I thought maybe you may have painted some during your time in Mexico! Just a thought...:cool:

Misty Mountain
10-16-2011, 12:54 PM
I was unable to attend the first session on painting trees. When will we be able to watch the Video? They just gave the one for painting mountains.

Colorix
10-16-2011, 12:59 PM
While some of us have heard and seen a great deal about trees before (December class, and Spring class), this is more in depth and structured a bit differently. I found new golden nuggets, and some of the old nuggets got a bit of polish and started to shine more! So glad I singed up, hesitated to do that, as I have a show.

beejane
10-17-2011, 05:44 PM
Thanks for another great session! I hope you can find time to address close up trees. We don't have distant views, mountain backdrops, or mile away vistas, so I am always trying to deal with trees that are only fifty feet away. If you just mass in a shape, they seem to be too solid, and not airy enough. Bushes and shrubs are also another tree related concern..

painterted
10-17-2011, 10:13 PM
I sent out another confirmation email about 2 hours before the class. Did you not get that one? Check your junk or spam folder.

OOPs, I thought I purchased the tree course, but I didn't. Old age.:eek:

Johannes Instructor
10-18-2011, 11:23 AM
Thanks for another great session! I hope you can find time to address close up trees. We don't have distant views, mountain backdrops, or mile away vistas, so I am always trying to deal with trees that are only fifty feet away. If you just mass in a shape, they seem to be too solid, and not airy enough. Bushes and shrubs are also another tree related concern..
Please read the posts near the bottom on this page
http://www.wetcanvas.com/forums/showthread.php?t=925972&page=86

jeanmcc
10-19-2011, 06:04 PM
I think the class last Saturday was fabulous. Thank you so much for all your efforts to to your classes. This is my 3rd one plus I ordered all the lessons for Painting Landscapes from Photos. I am about 1/4 of the way through them.

Also, thanks for getting me fixed up to use this forum. I really appreciate it.

painterted
10-19-2011, 09:25 PM
I just watched the PDF download of lesson 1, Great job Jonannes, The 3D section was really informative. I just did this to a couple of my latest painting any what a difference.

:clap:

ted

Johannes Instructor
10-20-2011, 10:35 AM
Here is the reference photo I will use to do my webclass painting demo on Saturday October 22.

Amandine
10-20-2011, 12:15 PM
Here is the reference photo I will use to do my webclass painting demo on Saturday October 22.

Since you already painted this scene (and it's a great painting), will your demo be different of the first painting ?

Johannes Instructor
10-20-2011, 04:31 PM

I will make some corrections.

pacificNW
10-20-2011, 06:42 PM
I just finished watching the video. Wow, very impressive and alot of fun analogies! Johannes, you are a gifted instructor and I can't wait until Saturday's demo. Great first class, thanks so much!

oCDs01-711
10-21-2011, 07:01 PM
Johannes,

Somewhere along the course when you do a watercolor demo, I would be interested in seeing how you correct a "mistake" with a pastel pencil. If I remember correctly, did you say that instead of using goauche, you preferred a pastel pencil for corrections?

Shirley

pixieartist
10-22-2011, 11:37 AM
Hi, Johannes. I can now download my digital pics from my camera...Hurray!!!! :):clap::clap: Had to download the Kodak program to do so!!! Now for getting pics from there to here!!! Hopefully homework pics can get downloaded in time for the class in just over an hour, no time for mistakes/errors though!!! :lol: Wish me luck. Also, I watched the video of last Sat.'s classlate last night. Apparently, I had missed :( some info shortly after the break, so now I understand alot more about the 3D effects I will want to do with my photos and my paintings!!! :clap: I plan to rewatch this class again. :) Thank-you so much for taking all the time you have and will to teach everyone taking your classes (and especially me!!!) Off to get my notes for the downloading info!!! And 'see' you in class!!! Pixieartist PS. I love first thing in the am!!! and when I finally figure a problem out (sometimes with help!), I'm just a Happy Little Camper!!! Never thought I was hyper, but maybe I am to some extent??!!!!!

pixieartist
10-22-2011, 12:49 PM
Well, looks like I'm missing at least one step in the process of getting an item to get to this post. I finally bookmarked it so maybe it will transfer over from there, somehow. No way/ no time to do it now. I'm getting set up for the class now, instead. Talk to you soon. Pixieartist

jackieraye
10-22-2011, 02:21 PM
Aside from the sound/technical difficulties this week, this has been a very good session. Johannes' explanations and adjustments to the student homework is especially helpful.

Mustbenuts
10-22-2011, 02:22 PM
I can't get into/on Justin TV. Help!!

Johannes Instructor
10-22-2011, 06:06 PM
Johannes,

Somewhere along the course when you do a watercolor demo, I would be interested in seeing how you correct a "mistake" with a pastel pencil. If I remember correctly, did you say that instead of using goauche, you preferred a pastel pencil for corrections?

Shirley
Pastel pencils for small parts 1/4 inch size. Pastel chalk for larger areas.

painterted
10-22-2011, 09:06 PM
I had to leave early today, is there any homework?

ted

tuzigoot
10-22-2011, 09:46 PM
I had to miss today's class - where can we find the link to the recording? Thanks - Linda
never mind - I found it.

sherrysherman
10-22-2011, 10:20 PM
I had to leave early today, is there any homework?

ted

None that he gave us despite multiple queries there at the end. At one point a little earlier he said he'd be posting it here. So we'll see.

Also he invited any of us who wants to rewatch the demo on the video (when we get the link) and try painting the scene.

sherrysherman
10-22-2011, 10:22 PM
I had to miss today's class - where can we find the link to the recording? Thanks - Linda
never mind - I found it.

It usually takes a few days for the videos to be available. In the past, it's been the same link for all videos in a course, so that's what I would expect for the Trees videos.

painterted
10-22-2011, 10:27 PM
None that he gave us despite multiple queries there at the end. At one point a little earlier he said he'd be posting it here. So we'll see.

Also he invited any of us who wants to rewatch the demo on the video (when we get the link) and try painting the scene.

Thanks Sherry.

ted

Rosemarie
10-23-2011, 02:08 AM
Hi Johannes. You asked if we wanted you to keep the orange tree in the painting or not. I must agree with the others. Keep it. It did make the eyes wander to the back in the painting. The painting would have looked bland without it, I think.

raxu
10-23-2011, 05:27 AM
I agree with Rosemary, don't touch that painting again!

What an interesting demo! I took lots of notes as well. Can't wait for the watercolor one.... also, if you can, can you show how you "fix" something in the watercolor with the pastel pen??? (You know, SOMETIMES my painting attemps need some cover make up...)

Johannes Instructor
10-23-2011, 10:11 AM
Hi Johannes. You asked if we wanted you to keep the orange tree in the painting or not. I must agree with the others. Keep it. It did make the eyes wander to the back in the painting. The painting would have looked bland without it, I think.
Thank you. My policy is that when a view points out something they like in a painting, especially when unsolicited I will not touch it. So it stays!

LadyMadonna
10-24-2011, 07:53 AM
I loved your demo on Saturday and as always it has given me inspiration to try and try again ...

Johannes Instructor
10-24-2011, 08:30 AM
I meant viewer so it should read
Thank you. My policy is that when a viewer points out something they like in a painting, especially when unsolicited I will not touch it. So it stays!

Johannes Instructor
10-26-2011, 05:35 PM
Hey all, the lesson that I gave last Saturday is posted now on the streaming recorded lessons page. The homework review and the oil demo are there. Please do not post that page in wetcanvas. Only those who registered can have access.

Johannes Instructor
10-27-2011, 09:55 AM
I decided to change the reference photo for next Saturday's painting because the watercolor painting would be too similar to the one I did in the mountains course. Here is the updated one.

http://www.wetcanvas.com/Community/images/27-Oct-2011/135220-IMG_4835.jpg

Johannes Instructor
10-27-2011, 01:26 PM
I decided to flip the image so your eye would be ushered into the painting from left to right.

http://www.wetcanvas.com/Community/images/27-Oct-2011/135220-IMG_4835.jpg

Johannes Instructor
10-27-2011, 01:37 PM
We have chnaged the access password for the page where the streaming videos are posted of the past two classes of the Essentials of Painting Trees course. You should have that new password in your email. If you don't have it check your junk or spam folders. If you still don't have it then email me:

[email protected]

hewill4giveu
10-27-2011, 04:06 PM
Joe Finally got paid so i could enroll in the trees coarse better late than never. Could you send me the link so i can go over the previous two classes i missed. Thank you Teresa

just having fun
10-28-2011, 09:47 AM
I signed up for the trees course yesterday, when will I get the link and password I would like to view the last two lessions before saturdays lession. Thanks Everett

Artglo
10-28-2011, 01:17 PM
Help please, I tried to register for this class but failed. It won't go thru because I don't fill in the "Gift Certificate" box, what is that? Is there some kind of code? I remember something about a code in a previous class but I don't remember the specifics. I would like to join, even if I am a bit late. Thank you for your help. Gloria

pacificNW
10-28-2011, 01:26 PM
Johannes, I'd like to know if it is possible to pay for and download recorded videos of your previous Essentials of Painting Mountains course? I'm very sad to have missed participating in that one and am unable to find it with all of your other downloads. Do you have plans to teach that one again? Thank you, Colleen.

Johannes Instructor
10-28-2011, 02:51 PM
Johannes, I'd like to know if it is possible to pay for and download recorded videos of your previous Essentials of Painting Mountains course? I'm very sad to have missed participating in that one and am unable to find it with all of your other downloads. Do you have plans to teach that one again? Thank you, Colleen.
Yes it wil be possible. I just submitted all the videos to F&W yesterday. Their shop is working on uploading them and adding the payment option. That will take a few days. However I gave a landscape course and a buildings course that are available for download right now in case you are interested.

robertsloan2
10-29-2011, 12:55 PM
Fair warning! I will not be taking notes during the video because this week I will be painting along with Johannes.

PLEASE - people, start taking your own notes! My life is a lot more busy now and I can't always count on being there or being there on time! I know my notes are useful to everyone, but your notes are even more useful to you. I do them so I can remember these things and share them because you're friends.

You do that too. You'll remember everything a lot better!

R Leon
10-29-2011, 01:47 PM
Wow. Seeing my painting in the little thumbnail on Johannes's screen shows me right away major composition flaws. I'll have to start looking at my paintings very small now as well as through a mirror or upside down.

pastelmimigt
10-29-2011, 10:06 PM
R Leon,

Do you have a cell phone with a camera? That's a great way to take a pic and then view it thumbnail size. Another advantage is you can probably take it in B&W to see the values better.

Michele
:cat:

Srishti
11-02-2011, 12:12 PM
Ahem... Hi Johannes, Is it too late to sign up for the class?
Can join in?
In case you miss a class, you will be able watch it on a streaming option at your convenience (Included in your fee.)
Would I still be able to watch these missed classes?
Please please...
I was too busy with other "stuff" and I somehow missed this... :)
Thanks
Srishti

Johannes Instructor
11-02-2011, 02:18 PM
Ahem... Hi Johannes, Is it too late to sign up for the class?
Can join in?

Would I still be able to watch these missed classes?
Please please...
I was too busy with other "stuff" and I somehow missed this... :)
Thanks
Srishti
As long as you sign up before November 19. After that it will be too late. You will be able to catch up by watching the streaming recorded classes. When you do sign up send me a email:
[email protected]
so I give you the access codes to these recordings.

Srishti
11-02-2011, 02:48 PM
Thanks a lot Johannes, Will do! :D

Johannes Instructor
11-02-2011, 03:59 PM
Thanks a lot Johannes, Will do! :D
Here is the registration link:
http://www.northlightshop.com/product/wetcanvas-live-essentials-of-painting-trees-with-johannes-vloothuis-v6507/

Tonalist
11-02-2011, 07:00 PM
Johannes..
I just wanted to give you a "big thumbs up" :thumbsup: on these classes,
Man, am I learning alot! and enjoying them alot!.

I missed the mountains course but I have purchased a few lessons from your large course "Painting from photos"
(eventually I'll get them all).. and I do hope you continue these lessons.

woody

jeanmcc
11-03-2011, 09:48 AM
Hi Johannes, I've taken Buildings, Mountains, now Trees and I have purchased all the Landscapes from Photos classes. I just finished class 10 and it was so important. I learned more in that class. I never understood just what value was all about and what to do with value. Also, thank you for helping me get to where I can post here. I hadn't ever done it before because I couldn't figure it out. I haven't figured out yet just how to post homework or if I can yet - not enough posts.

Thank you so much for all you've done for me. I think your classes are fantastic. I love them.

Jean:)

Srishti
11-03-2011, 07:37 PM
Here is the registration link:

Sorry, I missed what you said before....
I just signed upi and I am sending you an email for the links of the straming video recordings.
Thanks Johannes. Looking forward to it :)

Johannes Instructor
11-04-2011, 06:53 AM
Hi Johannes, I've taken Buildings, Mountains, now Trees and I have purchased all the Landscapes from Photos classes. I just finished class 10 and it was so important. I learned more in that class. I never understood just what value was all about and what to do with value. Also, thank you for helping me get to where I can post here. I hadn't ever done it before because I couldn't figure it out. I haven't figured out yet just how to post homework or if I can yet - not enough posts.

Thank you so much for all you've done for me. I think your classes are fantastic. I love them.

Jean:)
Post homework here:
http://www.wetcanvas.com/forums/showthread.php?t=953824&page=2

Wetpaint0938
11-04-2011, 01:10 PM
Where do I post my Trees #2? first time for me EVER I'll put it here hope it is correct http://www.wetcanvas.com/Community/images/04-Nov-2011/980416-IMG_0046.JPG

Wetpaint0938
11-05-2011, 01:00 AM
This is my first class Wow what a great instructor hope I can keep up

Johannes Instructor
11-05-2011, 10:42 AM
Hopefully there will be time to broadcast the demo today. I suggest you set aside at least 1 extra hour than the normal class time for today Nov 5. Below is the reference photo I used for the evergreen painting.

http://www.wetcanvas.com/Community/images/05-Nov-2011/135220-Picture_263_edited-1.jpg

jillmc3
11-05-2011, 11:54 AM
:wink2: :wink2: :wink2: Is it wrong for me to feel irritated that my family planned a birthday luncheon for me today at the same time as class??? LOL! Sorry I'll miss it, looks like another great painting coming up! Jill

Johannes Instructor
11-05-2011, 12:01 PM
:wink2: :wink2: :wink2: Is it wrong for me to feel irritated that my family planned a birthday luncheon for me today at the same time as class??? LOL! Sorry I'll miss it, looks like another great painting coming up! Jill
You will be able to catch it in the recorded section.

sherrysherman
11-05-2011, 12:04 PM

LOL! How inconsiderate! Of course, you must assume some of the blame for having a birthday the same day as one of Johannes's classes. You should have used a Wednesday; that would have been safer. :wink2:

Oh yes, and BTW, happy birthday to you!

Colorix
11-05-2011, 04:42 PM
Jill, that's funny! I was one hour late because of dinner with M-in-Law...

jillmc3
11-05-2011, 04:45 PM
Thank you, Sherry. What happened to the video demo? I logged in when I got home but no one was there!

sherrysherman
11-05-2011, 07:48 PM
Thank you, Sherry. What happened to the video demo? I logged in when I got home but no one was there!

It went on pretty much forever in GoToWebinar. A long class - over 1 1/2 hours on homework, then a couple more on evergreens, then post-class time answering a few questions and looking at other artists' work (much of the post-class time will not be on the recording). So he finally said good-bye to the 70+ die-hards after close to 6 hours total. (I was starving by then.) Johannes LIKES teaching, which is why he's so outstanding. :)

painterted
11-05-2011, 07:57 PM
You sure laid out some gold bricks, (not nuggets) for me Johannes with painting evergreens. How to brake up a line of trees and removing trees from a large groups, then showing the before and after. Wow, now I see how these artists get their great paintings from mediocre photos. Great job of teaching.

ted

lorigina
11-06-2011, 12:03 AM
Johannes, thank you for that wonderful, amazing class. I enjoyed it immensely, and am thrilled at how much I am learning. Question: Is it ok to scan the homework in (as opposed to uploading a photograph of it)?

pacificNW
11-06-2011, 12:07 AM
Today's class was so super fun I decided to have champagne tonight to celebrate all I learned. As my brother would say, Johannes, was "shootin' pearls" today. Can't believe I spent all day until dinner in my PJ's, too, haha.

DH and I went for a walk after and all I could do was look at treelines. I thought I found a tree worth hugging, almost...but no.

Thanks for an awesome day, Johannes!

Rosemarie
11-06-2011, 03:41 AM
It went on pretty much forever in GoToWebinar. A long class - over 1 1/2 hours on homework, then a couple more on evergreens, then post-class time answering a few questions and looking at other artists' work (much of the post-class time will not be on the recording). So he finally said good-bye to the 70+ die-hards after close to 6 hours total. (I was starving by then.) Johannes LIKES teaching, which is why he's so outstanding. :)

6 hours!!!! :confused: I had to fold after nearly 4 hours. Bed time in my part of the world! What have I missed out???:(

Johannes Instructor
11-06-2011, 07:44 AM
Johannes, thank you for that wonderful, amazing class. I enjoyed it immensely, and am thrilled at how much I am learning. Question: Is it ok to scan the homework in (as opposed to uploading a photograph of it)?

Sure

Johannes Instructor
11-09-2011, 09:02 AM
Here are some more paintings you can take a real good close up look at.
http://www.jacksonholeartauction.com/works/results/2011/0/0/%7C%7CAspevig,_Clyde,_1951-

Johannes Instructor
11-09-2011, 02:25 PM
Important news! We have decided to go back to offering free online webinars again. Yes, you are reading correctly! 100% free. The next course will be with the same format I have been using so far but this time it will be:
Essentials of Painting Water!

Here is the link for you to sign up:

https://www1.gotomeeting.com/register/461425225

JoinJohannes Vloothuis, our resident artist, in another exciting and popular liveonline session. Many artists want to know how to paint water convincingly. This3 week course will give you the answers and make it look like the water in yourpaintings moves. Johannes will delve into this extensive and seeminglycomplicated topic and make it easy for you to be able to paint water in all itsforms, such as, water reflections in still and moving water, lakes, rivers andstreams, even rocks or logs under water, to the point that it feels like youcan dip your foot in it or take a swim. (Seascapes and waterfalls to begiven in a future course).

TIME: 1:00 to 3:30 PM EST
DATES: 3 Saturdays from December 3– 17
Fee: Free!

oCDs01-711
11-09-2011, 03:21 PM
Count me in, Johannes! I just registered.

Shirley

Srishti
11-09-2011, 05:03 PM
I'm in! :D

mickisew
11-09-2011, 07:18 PM
Registered! Micki

Johannes Instructor
11-09-2011, 07:24 PM
Please tell others about this upcoming course so they can take advantage of the free classes.

tennisqueen
11-09-2011, 09:43 PM
I am registered.... would not miss this for the world!!!!! Thank you again, Johannes!!!!!! Your student for life:clap:

Banner
11-10-2011, 03:36 AM
Thank you so much I have just registered Banner

Johannes Instructor
11-11-2011, 03:27 PM
Here is the reference photo for the evergreen demo for November 12
http://www.wetcanvas.com/Community/images/11-Nov-2011/135220-Picture_263_edited-1.jpg

Shadowlands
11-11-2011, 05:45 PM
Where is the thread where we are posting our homework for critique?

pacificNW
11-11-2011, 08:49 PM
Shadowlands,

If you are referring to the black and white homework for the evergreens class tomorrow, post it in TREES - HOMEWORK WEEK 4. :)

tuzigoot
11-12-2011, 06:12 PM
Jo was right about Richard McKinley's "No focal point" work. For someone who struggles to establish a COI, this is a revelation. Check him out at
http://www.mckinleystudio.com/paintings_oils_recent.html

sherrysherman
11-12-2011, 06:26 PM
Johannes, do we have any homework this week? (week 5)

tuzigoot
11-12-2011, 07:00 PM
Sherry - we're just supposed to rework the B/W tree masses we did for this week.

pacificNW
11-12-2011, 07:17 PM
Someone in today's class asked about Johannes' color mixtures. I was able to write down that he suggests green made with either cad yellow plus ultramarine or yellow ochre plus viridian. Another member mentioned that yellow ochre plus ultramarine would make a sagebrush green color. Hope this helps some.

Johannes Instructor
11-13-2011, 08:19 AM
Someone in today's class asked about Johannes' color mixtures. I was able to write down that he suggests green made with either cad yellow plus ultramarine or yellow ochre plus viridian. Another member mentioned that yellow ochre plus ultramarine would make a sagebrush green color. Hope this helps some.
You can use a primary yellow with ultramarine blue because that blue has red in it. Preferably use a yellow that leans a bit more towards the red.
If you use viridian or sap green, the latter I oly use for flowers, then don't use a primary yellow. I use viridian + cad yellow (winsor and newton) + yellow ochre pale for most of my greens.

Vida Evenson
11-13-2011, 10:24 AM
In your list of courses to teach would please add "Essentials of Foregrounds"? I want to create this:
http://www.wetcanvas.com/Community/images/13-Nov-2011/979063-coastal-woods.jpg

Vida

Johannes Instructor
11-13-2011, 10:55 AM
In your list of courses to teach would please add "Essentials of Foregrounds"? I want to create this:
http://www.wetcanvas.com/Community/images/13-Nov-2011/979063-coastal-woods.jpg

Vida

Notice the "no fly zone" in the immediate forground.

Vida Evenson
11-13-2011, 11:38 AM
Notice the "no fly zone" in the immediate forground.

Yes.... much better than my always wanting to stick things in there :o

Do we have homework for this next week?

Vida

Sandra39
11-13-2011, 12:32 PM
Sherry Sherman;
Arnt' you going to put a new heading for Trees... Homework week 5? Even though we are supposed to rework our old submissions but it will be new works anyway. They need to be separate from the old ones.
Thanks in advance.

Sandi C.

sherrysherman
11-13-2011, 01:46 PM
Sherry Sherman;
Arnt' you going to put a new heading for Trees... Homework week 5? Even though we are supposed to rework our old submissions but it will be new works anyway. They need to be separate from the old ones.
Thanks in advance.

Sandi C.

Good idea, Sandi, to have a new thread. I just started one, but of course you should feel free to do it on your own too.

Interestingly enough, my computer glitched as I did it--and created a couple of unwanted threads! I can edit them, but I don't know how to get rid of them. Huh. I think it's time to restart the computer, give it a few minutes of Timeout to think about Being Good.

Sandra39
11-13-2011, 07:48 PM
Sherry- I wouldn't want to step in some body's track, besides, you have been doing such a good job and everyone including me are inclined to think that you are the official thread starter for J.V. And you seem to remember what he wants us to do better than me anyway.

So how are you dealing with the cold and snow in Denver? I used to live in Centennial since before our area got to be Centennial, about 20 yrs. Prior to that we rotated around S.E. Denver for about 15 yrs. Finally we decided to move to the sunshine state and it has been glorious around here. No snow!

Sandi C.

sherrysherman
11-13-2011, 08:25 PM
Sherry- I wouldn't want to step in some body's track, besides, you have been doing such a good job and everyone including me are inclined to think that you are the official thread starter for J.V. And you seem to remember what he wants us to do better than me anyway.

So how are you dealing with the cold and snow in Denver? I used to live in Centennial since before our area got to be Centennial, about 20 yrs. Prior to that we rotated around S.E. Denver for about 15 yrs. Finally we decided to move to the sunshine state and it has been glorious around here. No snow!

Sandi C.

Hey Sandi--

I live in the Tech Center area - about a mile east of I-25. So I'm surrounded by Centennial. If you lived here, you know - it's actually not as cold and snowy as people think! We've had a couple of snowfalls already, and everyone's been saying, "Hey! What's going on? Not what we've come to expect!" But recently, it's been sunny and more like 50's-60's, pretty nice. Not Florida, but still...

painterted
11-17-2011, 09:20 AM
Johannes, I found this pic. the other day. A good example of none symmetrical evergreens.

http://www.wetcanvas.com/Community/images/17-Nov-2011/909312-P1060848.JPG

Vida Evenson
11-17-2011, 09:44 AM
Oh painterted! These are wonderful trees! Can I download this for my reference photos?

painterted
11-17-2011, 09:57 AM
By all means Vida, it's not mine I got it off the net.

ted

pacificNW
11-17-2011, 12:39 PM
Oooh, Ted, I would love to see you paint those trees. :)

Scorpio
11-17-2011, 03:45 PM
Hi,
I have not yet gotten the video for last Saturdays class. Am I the only one, or has it not been sent yet? That was the only class I was forced to miss.
Emilie

Johannes Instructor
11-17-2011, 04:54 PM
Johannes, I found this pic. the other day. A good example of none symmetrical evergreens.

http://www.wetcanvas.com/Community/images/17-Nov-2011/909312-P1060848.JPG

Now Ted that is a good reference photo!

Johannes Instructor
11-17-2011, 04:55 PM
Hi,
I have not yet gotten the video for last Saturdays class. Am I the only one, or has it not been sent yet? That was the only class I was forced to miss.
Emilie
They just put it up.

pixieartist
11-19-2011, 12:31 PM
Hi, Nice pic of trees, Painterted!!!
JOHANNES, I have tried again to get into the thread for posting homework..".trees - homework week 4" I keep getting the message " fatal error " and it goes on to say the # of bytes allowed and that 32 more bytes will not work!!!! Where else do we post our homework?????? I have checked the threads relating to Johannes Vloothuis Essentials to Painting Trees, and there are only 2 of them. The second thread hasn't had any entries added since Nov 12??? Not sure why I have been having problems finding the right place. The other courses I could find the right place. So I still cannot post any homework....Will we be able to do so after this class is finished???? Kyna

pixieartist
11-19-2011, 12:34 PM
Johannes, I also forgot to mention that the videos of your lessons cannot be watched for some reason. I get to the part that says to put in the password, which I have and it just comes back to that page, over and over. I have watched the first video already, but no more now. Looking forward to today's class!!! Until then, Kyna

Improv
11-19-2011, 03:42 PM
it just comes back to that page, over and over.

That probably means that you are somehow entering the password incorrectly. Are you entering the password manually, or do you cut and paste the password?

Cheers

Doug

mickisew
11-19-2011, 06:03 PM
Super course, Johannes. Thank you for the extra time before and after the class. It is my favorite part!

Micki

robertsloan2
11-19-2011, 06:13 PM
Great course, Johannes!

Here's my much simpler version of the Pastel Demo "Winter Trees" from today. I had to simplify it because I was only working 8" x 10" and I didn't actually have your sketch on the paper. I just painted along in masses of color with you placing things more or less where you did, missed putting patches of snow into the field completely. Still, it surprised me how well it came out for all my goofing up!

http://www.wetcanvas.com/Community/images/19-Nov-2011/70184-11-19-2011-JV-Paint-Along-Pastel-Winter-Trees.jpg
"Paint-Along with Johannes Vloothuis Winter Trees Demo"
8" x 10"
pastels on Strathmore Artagain pastel paper, some pastel pencils
Painted from Johannes Vloothuis class video pastel demonstration. Not an exact copy. I think I compensated for some of my mistakes by making other changes to try to make mine work.

painterted
11-19-2011, 06:46 PM
Joe, would you put up the picture you used today for your painting, if you don't mind.

ted

mickisew
11-19-2011, 06:53 PM
Robert: I find it incredible that you can attend class, keep up with chat and paint at the same time! I feel lucky that my husband keeps the children out of this room while I am in class so as not to break my concentration! LOL I presume your painting is accomplished with oil pastels. I do have pastels, but have only created one painting - not with the oil pastels. However, you, Johannes and Sherry make me want get the pastels off the shelf. I did go to your blog - you are a very interesting and colorful soul! - and your web page. I will enjoy reading all in due time. Nice job following along with Jo. I so enjoy our "family" here and look forward to a long relationship.

Micki

Johannes Instructor
11-19-2011, 07:00 PM
Great course, Johannes!

Here's my much simpler version of the Pastel Demo "Winter Trees" from today. I had to simplify it because I was only working 8" x 10" and I didn't actually have your sketch on the paper. I just painted along in masses of color with you placing things more or less where you did, missed putting patches of snow into the field completely. Still, it surprised me how well it came out for all my goofing up!

http://www.wetcanvas.com/Community/images/19-Nov-2011/70184-11-19-2011-JV-Paint-Along-Pastel-Winter-Trees.jpg
8" x 10"
Painted from Johannes Vloothuis class video pastel demonstration. Not an exact copy. I think I compensated for some of my mistakes by making other changes to try to make mine work.
This is the best Pastel I have seen from you Robert. Watch out for those two "C" shapes are the right side of the team. if you fix them, your painting will be much better.

Johannes Instructor
11-19-2011, 07:12 PM
Joe, would you put up the picture you used today for your painting, if you don't mind.

ted
Sure here it is! I forgot to mention that I did not use any green hues at all. Instant color harmony!

Thank you all for taking having taken the course with me. I appeciate your trust and hope to see you on December 3 for the next course, Essentials of Painting Water.

http://www.wetcanvas.com/Community/images/19-Nov-2011/135220-Icy_Stream.jpg

pacificNW
11-19-2011, 08:02 PM
You know that feeling you get when you're out hiking and you stop in a nice spot for lunch and you just sort of sit and relax and take it all in, while you are chewing on your pb & j, thinking "hmmm, this really is a great place, think I'll stop here again on my way through next time"... Those are some enjoyable moments and that's how this work makes me feel, very inviting.

Many thanks for an incredible class, Johannes. Enjoy your break!

painterted
11-19-2011, 08:16 PM
Thanks Joe, can you also put up the original photo.

Thank you for the course, I learnt lots of "nuggets". Now just to remember them.

Looking forward to the water course, have you thought about a course on Moods?

ted

Tonalist
11-19-2011, 09:05 PM
Joe..
Just wanted to say thanks for the trees class and I am looking forward to the next class.

Also I wanted to let you know, some of your tidbits before class were great..
I especially was fond of the Tonal Value (not the Objects) equals weight (balance) was very insightful for myself.

woody

crazywoman53
11-19-2011, 10:02 PM
Thanks for posting this Joe. I blocked in the most of it and then got so carried away watching and listening I forgot to paint anymore. But want to work on it some more later. I've really enjoyed this class and wanted to tell you how much I think of you not only as an instructor but a caring person who gives soooo much of his time so unselfishly. All the extra before and after instruction is just proof of a dedicated artist and teacher. I'll see you for the water class. Thanks again. Christine

Johannes Instructor
11-19-2011, 11:11 PM

Thank you for the course, I learnt lots of "nuggets". Now just to remember them.

ted
I spoke about it in the "Paint Stunning Landscapes from Photos" course.

Johannes Instructor
11-19-2011, 11:17 PM

ted

Here:

http://www.wetcanvas.com/Community/images/19-Nov-2011/135220-DSC04228b.jpg

robertsloan2
11-19-2011, 11:22 PM
This is the best Pastel I have seen from you Robert. Watch out for those two "C" shapes are the right side of the team. if you fix them, your painting will be much better.

Wow, thanks! Yeah, I saw those clones as soon as I got it up onto the wall. I'll have to fix them, this one's just for me though. I love how the background came out. I know I want to use elements like this again in my next one. I might try something with a Landscape Challenge photo next.

That's where sketching first would have really helped too, I think. But overall I like it a lot.

Thank you for posting the photo! I look at yours and the photo and you've shown me how to handle those dull gray days that I hated so much - the paintings look a lot better!

This is in dry pastels, not oil pastels, Micki. I could do something like it in oil pastels, I just didn't this time. I've been doing a lot more in dry pastels lately, that is becoming my favorite medium.

What I found with oil pastels is that many techniques from dry pastels can carry over, so can techniques from painting. It makes them a little tricky sometimes but once I got used to them I liked them a lot. I think if I were to do this sort of scene I'd want to use the Sennelier ones, the lipstick soft ones and handle it more like oil painting.

paskavau
11-20-2011, 02:26 PM
Johannes,

Thanks for that great course! I learned so much, looking for for your next course!

Klaus

HazelP
11-20-2011, 02:56 PM
Another top score to you Johannes. I can't tell you how much your courses have meant to me! Have been following them since January. So glad I found you as I began to get interested in painting. I have been going to an art course locally but will not be going back at the end of the 6 weeks - no teaching at all. She needs about 500 golden nuggets! I'll stick with you and Richard Robinson, a young New Zealand artist who is giving online workshops which I find very helpful. Will have withdrawals over the next two weeks.

HazelP
11-20-2011, 03:02 PM
Best I've seen from you Robert - your painting is really going ahead.

Thanks for all the notes you are giving us. I've been downloading them to my computer since January and find them very helpful in jogging my poor memory.

Great course, Johannes!

8" x 10"

painterted
11-20-2011, 10:58 PM
Johannes, I attempted to paint the picture you did Saturday. I'm not to sure about the painting overall, (could be my limited palette) but I like the way the water and Ice turned out.

http://www.wetcanvas.com/Community/images/20-Nov-2011/909312-Scan20014.jpg

Johannes Instructor
11-21-2011, 10:00 AM
Johannes, I attempted to paint the picture you did Saturday. I'm not to sure about the painting overall, (could be my limited palette) but I like the way the water and Ice turned out.

http://www.wetcanvas.com/Community/images/20-Nov-2011/909312-Scan20014.jpg

I feel the evergreen trees in the middle ground are too similar. The whole shape included.

Vida Evenson
11-21-2011, 03:10 PM
Most excellent class Johannes. What I love most, even more than the "golden nuggets", is your pure enthusiasm and joy in sharing what you know with us. This enthusiasm and joy can only come from one who genuinely cares and who is not afraid to give. Because of this your classes were FABULOUS.

THANK YOU!

Johannes Instructor
11-21-2011, 11:39 PM
Most excellent class Johannes. What I love most, even more than the "golden nuggets", is your pure enthusiasm and joy in sharing what you know with us. This enthusiasm and joy can only come from one who genuinely cares and who is not afraid to give. Because of this your classes were FABULOUS.

THANK YOU!
I would have no class without you. The nuggets would not be golden if no one receives it. Thank you for entrusting me to share with all of you!

Johannes Instructor
11-22-2011, 08:00 AM
http://www.wetcanvas.com/Community/images/22-Nov-2011/135220-V6506.jpg

The Essentials of Painting Mountains complete course is now available for purchase and permanent download on your computer. Click this link to get it:

http://www.linkconnector.com/traffic_affiliate.php?lc=054918042970004703&atid=Essentials+of+Mountains&lcpt=0&lcpf=3&url=http://www.northlightshop.com/product/wetcanvas-live-essentials-of-painting-mountains-with-johannes-vloothuis-downloads-v6506

Price: $39.99 ( before 10% discount )
Aprox. 8 hours 45 mins
Type in WCLIVE where it says Apply Code to get 10% off.

nougat
11-23-2011, 02:44 AM

THANK YOU!

Jo - what Vida so excellently said mirrors my feelings exactly :)
thank you :)

Johannes Instructor
12-01-2011, 04:29 PM
Lesson 6 is now posted on the student access page.