PDA

View Full Version : Who Else Is/Has Been/Will Be Moving?

Art_Rabbit
09-27-2011, 11:48 PM
I am - and I'm seeing it as a good opportunity to get my art supplies in order in the process. Hoping that after I am settled into the home of the friend I'll be staying with for the time being, after the stress of waiting for the foreclosed home I've been in to be sold, I'll be able to de-stress and do LOTS more art. I've been putting out fires and not done as much art in recent times.

Hope to hear from other artists on the move! :wave:

RiJoRi
09-28-2011, 10:07 AM
I do not expect to move for a while, but I wish you the best in your new life/adventure.

--Rich

Use Her Name
09-28-2011, 03:55 PM
I moved a few years ago. It was a good opportunity to slash 75% of my belongings, and start living a lighter life.

Tennessee artist
11-06-2011, 03:45 PM
I moved myself this year. but i cannot get things in order or find space enough for me to paint in. my easel does not fit in my room. and i have just enough space to turn around in it. so its been a hard transition. but in all I'm probably better off without the stress of a man that doesn't understand i can not do the things i once did. lost a two people i called friends. lost my home i had been paying for for 8 years due to the i cant live with the man im with facts. now having to sell my car. then pay someone back for the payments they made on it. but that will leave me with no car. living with a parent that doesnt want me to do anything at any time for any reason. ha i'll trade!!! lol

La_
11-07-2011, 01:06 AM
posted on facebook recently by my daughter ... thought it appropriate

mnmlist : less -
Stop buying the unnecessary.
Toss half your stuff, learn contentedness.
Reduce half again.
List 4 essential things in your life, do these first,
stop doing the non-essential.
Clear distractions, focus on each moment.
Let go of attachment to doing, having more.

Fall in love with less.

la

alfreda
11-07-2011, 07:36 AM
Each move has changed the nature of my art, and how I do it and been scary and a challenge but worth it. I may be moving again to the city and into a small flat (no studio space) for a couple of years and it will be weird not having my workshop and studio space. My mind has been buzzing on how and what I will do in this new place, but am excited at the challenge.

Katie Black
11-07-2011, 03:18 PM
I hope I will be moving...In fact I'm PRAYING I will sell this house. I have had the worst time here..everything that could go wrong has done (bad energy in the house)....not a great time to sell property and its been on the market for two weeks now.
I Cleansed this house last week with white sage so hopefully things might be calmer for a while, my Realtor asked me to take some more photos of my lounge area as her's did not turn out too well, I took eight and in six of them I have orbs floating around the lounge....I can assure you all I'm quite sane but very tired of this place.:lol:

Tennessee artist
11-07-2011, 04:44 PM
i hear ya Katie

Katie Black
11-07-2011, 10:10 PM
i hear ya Katie

Thanks! hope things get better for you also..its gotta do right!:)

littleblacksheep
11-11-2011, 06:34 PM
My hubby and I just moved cross country a couple months ago, and it just never seemed to end. We were here a month before any of our packed and shipped stuff arrived, and I had major surgery in between! Right now, we're living with my father-in-law, and it's beginning to be a little bit of a struggle. Hopefully we'll find the right place for us soon and be moving...again. Surprisingly though, I've been doing more art in the past few months than I have in the past year. Making the best of a bad situation.

ianuk
11-11-2011, 07:57 PM
I moved different countries and homes five years ago from Sao Paulo, Brasil to the South West of England. I haven't been the same since and don't have one tenth of the space I had. However, the house in which I live satsifies my needs and it's better than sleeping on a park bench (they're hard!) :D

robertsloan2
11-11-2011, 11:48 PM
Wow, so many others.

I moved to San Francisco on August 1st. I'd been living with my daughter in one room in her house in Russellville, Arkansas. Then she got her dream home with 20 acres and I had five weeks to pack everything.

This time I managed it. I packed all the art supplies myself, prioritizing accordingly. I still wound up putting some important, essential supplies into last boxes that didn't get sent but I did get most of my essentials shipped on ahead - especially my pastels.

With that short notice I wasn't able to save up enough to bring everything. My daughter's still storing a lot of my stuff till I get into low income housing, when I'll also have space for it as well as an easier budget. I just spent three months getting settled in and getting into the Street Artist Program - moving ahead on becoming self employed again.

I'm doing things I haven't been able to do for years. I've got hope of building a good life here, unlike anywhere else I've ever lived. The weather's a lot kinder to my fibromyalgia, so far I haven't had many bad weather days and the few I did were mild.

It's been hard but it's a good move. I've got help keeping the room clean, which gives me more time to paint and write and more strength to go out and do the things that need to be done. I'm more independent here. I was housebound for about fifteen years so this is an enormous change. Even though it's this hard, it's been a joy.

I do want to get the rest of my stuff back though. I came in with one suitcase of clothes and personal stuff, everything else is art supplies. A friend gave me a good recliner that does wonders for my back and some great lamps and a bookcase, otherwise I'd still be living in boxes. I got some plastic drawer units at Walmart that help me with storage issues but I lack shelf space - they were cheap, but I miss those two tall bookcases from Wal Mart that I had back in Arkansas.

I keep turning around looking for supplies I had and use frequently only to find they're not here, but I've got enough to do all of my mediums. Mostly pastels. I've been doing a lot of pastels lately.

InkyEss
11-13-2011, 12:35 PM
Moving is hard work and very stressful. I moved house last year just after an operation... it was a nightmare.

However, it didn't put me off. I think maybe now I have the bug, cos I'm planning my next move already. This house is too big now my family have flown the nest and next time I'm (hopefully) not going to have an operation just before the move! LOL

Lens&Needles
11-20-2011, 11:28 AM
I hope you can sell it soon too. I know the housing market is bad in the U.S. Didn't think it was bad also in Costa Rica.
I'm hoping to move away from the area we are in too, some time in the near future.
It's wicked expensive here, but worse people are so oppressive here, the local govt that is, it doesn't make for much time to be creative.Where we lived before was a big artist community, and also music.
This place. ugh.. not much to do, and not many creative people around to do it with... It's pretty here, and have been taking lots of photos... but I'd like to find some out on the town stuff to do too. There were so many nightspots in our previous area... I can see, the next time I move, I'm going to make sure it's that way again..
The closest good place to go out at night is at least 45-1 hour's drive away! :crying:
We
I just moved a short while again and lots of stuff is in boxes still.I'm needing to sell stuff though, needs cash to pay the bills, not just toss stuff but not quite sure what is a good place to sell one's goods, or possessions and get a decent price for them.
Does anyone here use E-bay to sell their things? If so, how hard is it to get started setting up an acct?

I hope I will be moving...In fact I'm PRAYING I will sell this house. I have had the worst time here..everything that could go wrong has done (bad energy in the house)....not a great time to sell property and its been on the market for two weeks now.
I Cleansed this house last week with white sage so hopefully things might be calmer for a while, my Realtor asked me to take some more photos of my lounge area as her's did not turn out too well, I took eight and in six of them I have orbs floating around the lounge....I can assure you all I'm quite sane but very tired of this place.:lol:
well, good luck to everyone if they intend to move..
Yeah, moving out of one area to a totally different one, is definitely an adjustment.

SallyAnn
12-02-2011, 12:18 AM
I've recently moved after a very stressful three years, both my inlaws passed away and my artistic interest just about went to zero. I've just also come back to WetCanvas and looked at my own uploaded images.. eek! I've been working on 'learning'.. still a slow process, but the move has been a great thing. Everything is new again.. and the things I left behind were those that I didn't need anyway.

Really looking forward to being inspired, and most of all concentrating more on art than dealing with stress.

I don't have an art studio, but I do have a room I can turn into one over the next few years, which beats lurking in a damp basement ;o) After the move here.. unpacking boxes and so on that held my art supplies and those left to me by my late MIL was just wonderful... now to do it justice, in my amateur kind of way.

Good luck to all that are moving, or already have....... no matter what we end up in (house wise), there is always a spot, right?

Art_Rabbit
12-05-2011, 03:51 PM
Wow, was it really back in September that I started this thread?! :eek: And then in all the chaos that ensued (see below), I forgot I started it! In fact, September 27th was probably the last time I was on WC.

I have now moved, but not to the place where I thought I was going to go to stay with a friend. That fell through, only 3 weeks before I had to get out of the foreclosed/sold at sheriff’s auction house. Didn’t have much time to prepare, had to let friends box stuff, watched stuff that I’d probably have thrown out/shredded get packed with good stuff because there was no more time to sort and make decisions. :crying:

Had to shell out extra money and be super-brain-overloaded because I can’t think and multitask in that kind of scenario. :confused: That doesn’t for a minute mean I don’t thank God for my friends and what they did, because without them I’d have been up a particularly nasty creek without a paddle.

Found instead a 1BR apt. that feels pretty right. I can afford it on what I get on disability but my friend who helps me with budgeting informed me that my dream of living cheap and saving for a house may not be possible. :( Right now I’m bleeding money on a storage unit, too, so I have to figure out how to deal with that issue, and the move itself was chaotic and emotionally draining.

I must say to those of you that had surgery during a move my heart really goes out to you; I can’t imagine how much stress that would’ve added – or any other health problems. I have mental health issues (PTSD, ADHD, anxiety etc.) and that was enough to deal with.

Did find new ways to arrange my “best” art supplies like Robert is talking about, and in the process of getting rid of the storage can purge the not-so-necessary. It'll make for a neater more user-friendly workspace too. :thumbsup:

Vicky Darlene, you are right, IMO to ditch the unhealthy relationship and hopefully your art will be a healing force and help you find your best self. Wishing you blessings! Can certainly relate to the frustration of fitting in and arranging a different and smaller space, but slowly we make progress. Sometimes what’s been good for me in the past has been just carrying a sketchbook and some colored pencils around, parking in the park or somewhere and doing my art thing that way. It can be freeing and hopeful while you get that more permanent home art space ready.

Sally Ann, you said it – I look forward to a time of dealing with art more than with stress! And alfreda, our art I believe will go through growth just as we are.

Katie, have you tried praying to St. Joseph about selling your house? It works! Google it!

And everyone who replied – thanks so much, reading all this helps me even after the big move itself is over (though it’s still “ongoing” in another sense). :grouphug:

robertsloan2
12-07-2011, 12:10 AM
I hope you can sell it soon too. I know the housing market is bad in the U.S. Didn't think it was bad also in Costa Rica.
I'm hoping to move away from the area we are in too, some time in the near future.
It's wicked expensive here, but worse people are so oppressive here, the local govt that is, it doesn't make for much time to be creative.Where we lived before was a big artist community, and also music.
This place. ugh.. not much to do, and not many creative people around to do it with... It's pretty here, and have been taking lots of photos... but I'd like to find some out on the town stuff to do too. There were so many nightspots in our previous area... I can see, the next time I move, I'm going to make sure it's that way again..
The closest good place to go out at night is at least 45-1 hour's drive away! :crying:
We
I just moved a short while again and lots of stuff is in boxes still.I'm needing to sell stuff though, needs cash to pay the bills, not just toss stuff but not quite sure what is a good place to sell one's goods, or possessions and get a decent price for them.
Does anyone here use E-bay to sell their things? If so, how hard is it to get started setting up an acct?

well, good luck to everyone if they intend to move..
Yeah, moving out of one area to a totally different one, is definitely an adjustment.

OUCH... I feel for you. That's something I went through so many times, living with my daughter there was nowhere to go. Living in Minnesota, there was stuff closer but I couldn't make it to the front door to go anywhere except necessary medical appointments. And so on all the way back. It can be soul-burning to wind up that isolated, with nothing to do, nowhere to go and no one local remotely interested in creative activity.

I've used ebay to sell things. It's pretty good! You'll get better prices than you would with a yard sale. If you've never done it before, buy a few small things on eBay and give feedback to the seller, so they reciprocate positive feedback. No one buys anything from someone who has no positive feedback because there are a lot of fly by night ripoff types who list things, don't send the item, make the account vanish and start a new one with a fresh email and alias etc.

With your small purchases talk to the sellers and ask advice on listing the stuff you're getting rid of. Regular eBay members are very friendly and helpful, heck, you may make a sale since you'll be selling used goods lower than retail price (but better than yard sale pricing).

What I found most convenient was to use USPS Priority Mail for shipping. It's a little pricy but I put the cost into the list price of the item (and knock some off if I can combine orders). USPS Priority Mail gives very fast delivery, is trackable if they want to track it and you get the sturdy package materials free from the Post Office. They recently added the new Board Game sized box which is 14" x 28" or some such enormous flat size, very good for shipping art supplies or artworks one step larger on the Small Format Art scale.

Yeah, I've sold art on eBay too in the past, it was fun.

With furniture and things too big to ship, list it for Local Only and the buyer has to come pick it up. You'll have to give a bargain price for it but it'll move and you'll have cash in pocket. I got several waterbeds by way of eBay "local only" at different times in the past, for quite a discount. It just took finding a friend with a truck to go get it for me.

I miss my waterbed though, my daughter sold it to help pay for her move after I'd given it to her because I couldn't afford to ship it here. Though the manager is getting me a soft pad for my bed so that'll bea bit easier on my back than the way it is now.

robertsloan2
12-07-2011, 03:04 AM
Wow, was it really back in September that I started this thread?! :eek: And then in all the chaos that ensued (see below), I forgot I started it! In fact, September 27th was probably the last time I was on WC.

I have now moved, but not to the place where I thought I was going to go to stay with a friend. That fell through, only 3 weeks before I had to get out of the foreclosed/sold at sheriff’s auction house. Didn’t have much time to prepare, had to let friends box stuff, watched stuff that I’d probably have thrown out/shredded get packed with good stuff because there was no more time to sort and make decisions. :crying:

Had to shell out extra money and be super-brain-overloaded because I can’t think and multitask in that kind of scenario. :confused: That doesn’t for a minute mean I don’t thank God for my friends and what they did, because without them I’d have been up a particularly nasty creek without a paddle.

Found instead a 1BR apt. that feels pretty right. I can afford it on what I get on disability but my friend who helps me with budgeting informed me that my dream of living cheap and saving for a house may not be possible. :( Right now I’m bleeding money on a storage unit, too, so I have to figure out how to deal with that issue, and the move itself was chaotic and emotionally draining.

I must say to those of you that had surgery during a move my heart really goes out to you; I can’t imagine how much stress that would’ve added – or any other health problems. I have mental health issues (PTSD, ADHD, anxiety etc.) and that was enough to deal with.

Did find new ways to arrange my “best” art supplies like Robert is talking about, and in the process of getting rid of the storage can purge the not-so-necessary. It'll make for a neater more user-friendly workspace too. :thumbsup:

Vicky Darlene, you are right, IMO to ditch the unhealthy relationship and hopefully your art will be a healing force and help you find your best self. Wishing you blessings! Can certainly relate to the frustration of fitting in and arranging a different and smaller space, but slowly we make progress. Sometimes what’s been good for me in the past has been just carrying a sketchbook and some colored pencils around, parking in the park or somewhere and doing my art thing that way. It can be freeing and hopeful while you get that more permanent home art space ready.

Sally Ann, you said it – I look forward to a time of dealing with art more than with stress! And alfreda, our art I believe will go through growth just as we are.

Katie, have you tried praying to St. Joseph about selling your house? It works! Google it!

And everyone who replied – thanks so much, reading all this helps me even after the big move itself is over (though it’s still “ongoing” in another sense). :grouphug:

Gradually sorting what's in storage and using eBay to let go of the things you can't keep will help with that. Ask yourself if you really want a house anyway, given that you're disabled and taking care of a house is so much work. There's a lot to be said for my being in Single Room Occupancy hotel room, life's easy enough here that it's almost doable without help. Which means I can ask my assistant to do things like errands that I'd otherwise do without if she had to do more cleaning.

It helps to triage categorically. I got rid of most of my books and bought a Kindle. Since most of my books were discount "three for a dollar" used paperbacks (the ones I got rid of especially) that reduced it to a third of the book boxes to send for later once I get an apartment and bookcases for them. Fortunately my daughter's storing that stuff till I can get the low income housing apartment.

Even then, I would not want to live in a house by myself. Way too much work and way too much dependence on having a vehicle.

When it gets depressing, that is a cheering thought - there is a LOT less work involved with having less possessions. Get rid of what you like least first on eBay, turn it into cash for fixing up the apartment the way you want it. Or paying the storage on the rest till you've sorted it all at leisure and decided what to keep, give or sell.

Don't put art supplies on eBay. List them here on the Swap Shop, you'll get a better asking price. Same with art books. Somewhere on this enormous site is someone desperate to find any art book you're done with and don't need any more. Or bargains on used supplies.

Anyway, you're not alone. A lot of people are going through tough moves this year and they have an up side. Life gets easier in a smaller space with less stuff.

Art_Rabbit
12-13-2011, 10:25 PM
Thanks Robert for reminding me about the swap on this site; I'm still very much a newbie.

Been physically sick here lately - probably the mental stress and whacky hours and odd eating patterns. Feeling better bit by bit, though. Some things will improve soon, other things I'll have to be patient about, and one or two may be major frustrations but hopefully not lasting forever.

Sickness put me further behind on unpacking, getting a workspace, etc. and yet I can't allow myself to stress over that, either! What a paradox!:rolleyes: