PDA

View Full Version : Lascaux or Liquitex

Reinhard1
09-26-2011, 01:04 PM
Dear friends,
I am contemplating to starting into the world of acrylics - and have already my first question.

Liquitex Heavy Body or Lascaux Artist. I will want to experiment with mixing my colours on a wet palette. Are the Lascaux Artist too 'fluid'? Are Liquitext Heavy Body too 'gelly'? Do they have more or less the same open time? Do any of you have experimented with these two brands and what have you found as their pros and cons.

I come from photorealistic graphite and am afraid that I can't let go completely of control. I will want to experiment with portraits, my artistic love. Any suggestions?

pastelmimigt
09-26-2011, 02:07 PM
I used Liquitex and really like it. No, it's not too gelly. I use one of those plastic pallet trays that you have a wet sponge under the special paper and you can cover the tray with its plastic cover between painting sessions.

I've never tried Lascaux Artist and am looking forward to reading your replies.

Michele

Reinhard1
09-26-2011, 02:29 PM
Michele, thanks for the info. Let's wait and see if other artists might have additional information.

idylbrush
09-26-2011, 02:43 PM
Both are great brands but you might find the Lascaux easier to locate and purchase. It really is a matter of preference. I had some issues with their metallics seizing in the bottle.....but, that was only a small part of their pigment line. You may need to try a couple bottles of each and then make the determination.

Reinhard1
09-26-2011, 02:49 PM
Thanks a lot. I am not having any problem with availability. Luckily enough I have an art dealer with a humongous selection of all the artist's heart might desire - and then some. I had both products in my hands today. What I was wondering though is that Lascaux Artist comes in bottles and I was wondering if their consistency might not be too 'fluid/liquid' to be put on a wet palette and mixing my own colours. Do you have any eperience in that?

pastelmimigt
09-26-2011, 03:44 PM
I would go with the Liquitex. They are easy to work with and it's probably easier to thin down than bulk up.

Michele

Reinhard1
09-26-2011, 04:21 PM
Michele, that's an interesting and important aspect. Thanks.

Einion
09-26-2011, 05:26 PM
Are the Lascaux Artist too 'fluid'?
Well too fluid is a bit of a loaded question (maybe they will be to you) but I'd say no.

Are Liquitext Heavy Body too 'gelly'?
I doubt it! They're not particularly thick.

Do they have more or less the same open time?
Not sure, probably yes though.

Any particular reason the choice has come down to these two? Lascaux are reputed to be among the most heavily-pigment acrylics, but they tend to be significantly more expensive than the commoner brands. But if these two are similar prices (per ml) where you are I'd definitely recommend trying the Lascaux first.

It would be worth at least trying one or two tubes of Liquitex, just to see for yourself what they're like. But overall I think it's unlikely someone would pick them over Lascaux if they're similar prices.

BTW, any time I've seen the Lascaux Artist Acrylics they've been in tubes (45ml tubes, smaller than average). What volume are the bottles?

Einion

Reinhard1
09-26-2011, 05:42 PM
Einion, thanks so much for your input.

As 'too fluid' I was wondering, because they come in a bottle and so I presumed them to be more 'fluid' than the tubes. To that effect I have however not found any information in any source I can lay my hands on. Lascaux actually put tubes and bottles together as just different forms of packaging.

For exact pricing and bottle sizes I have to ask for a little bit of patience. I will be back at my art dealer on Friday and compare. The bottle sizes were significantly larger than the 45ml tubes. They have 200 ml tubes as well with significantly higher prices.

As far as prices are concerned it seems that Lascaux is less expensive than Liquitex here in Germany. I think to remember that for 50% more in price (Lascaux over Liquitex) I get in a set about double or slightly more colour. But that I will want to confirm by the end of the week. Today I was not looking specifically at prices but more in a general direction of which brand to try first.

As I see things right now I might want to start experimenting with Lascaux bought here in Germany and get a couple of tubes in New York (Dick Blick) where I will be in November. There is a roughly 50% price difference between my art dealer and Dick Blick.

PattiLou
09-26-2011, 08:28 PM
I have never used Lascaux but I do use Liquitex. I use Liquitex Heavy Body for painting on canvas. For decorative painting I have used Liquitex liquid in bottles. The liquid is much thinner... they are both good and I think it depends on what you prefer. I keep the Heavy Body misted with water and in a Sta-Wet palette when using them.

asnowfall
09-26-2011, 08:57 PM
As I see things right now I might want to start experimenting with Lascaux bought here in Germany and get a couple of tubes in New York (Dick Blick) where I will be in November. There is a roughly 50% price difference between my art dealer and Dick Blick.
Dick blick's online price seems rather low compared to store price. Last week for a Golden Gel(8oz) store(NY) price was 11+ and online price was 8*

kevinwueste
09-27-2011, 02:49 AM
I have had great experience with Old HOlland Acrylics. they are like butter and hang on for a bit before they turn to small, multi-hued bug-like-toys on my palette.. -kevin

timelady
09-27-2011, 07:03 AM
I think if Lascaux were the same price I'd probably choose them too. :) But Lascaux is somewhat rare too see here. By the way they do some amazing mediums to play with texture! You're probably seeing a price difference due to the fact that Liquitex will be imported from the US. Same as I see when I compare Liquitex or Golden prices to local English brands like Winsor & Newton.

Tina.

Yellow Ogre
09-27-2011, 06:08 PM
Liquitex makes both flow, high viscosity, and very high viscosity versions. If you use the flow version, I recommend to get it in the bottle rather than the tube. I have wasted a lot of liquitex flow paint in tubes , squeezing it like it was the usual high viscosity paint.

I recommend Sonnelier in addition to Golden. Higher pigment loading in my opinion.

Red 9
09-27-2011, 06:42 PM
If you're just getting acrylics and not even sure you'll like the medium, why even consider such an expensive brand like Lascaux? Get a few tubes of Liquitex heavy body and see how you like them. They are fine paints and I really love how the caps never get gunked up {which is a real pain with some acrylic tubes!}.

OkeeKat
09-27-2011, 09:06 PM
HI and welcome, I use liquitex heavy body paint and never tried any others.. I love them!! they are so easy to use, thick as you want or thinned like ink as I Love to use and no problem with the amt of pigment when thinned and I ony thin with water. I have used palette knife to paint and enjoy the textures you can achive.

Reinhard1
09-30-2011, 12:33 PM
Dear friends,
thanks so very much for having helped me by sharing your valueable experience with me. It has helped me a lot to decide. And deciding I did.

I went for Lascaux. The reason is rather mondane, price. My art dealer has a set of 12 85ml bottles for roughly 50 Euro (75 US$), whereas a set of 4 128 ml tubes Liquitex Heavy Body went for 36 Euro (55 US$). Since I had a 20% discount coupon I went for Lascaux. Whether this was a good decision or not is for the coming weeks to tell. You might have a chance to see my struggles (if they aren't all too horrible). As I paint along I will then take my time to play around with other brands and see what suits me best.