PDA

View Full Version : Pastel Riot-the Sequel

sundiver
03-14-2003, 08:50 PM
Ok here we are with this weekend's Pastel Riot, continuing the idea started by Greg last weekend. The idea is that everyone (who wants to) does a pastel of the same reference picture or portion thereof.
This is about practicing, discovering and sharing, and mostly about fun. Masterpieces are not expected, although we won't stop you from making one! The goal is to work for 3 hours or less, post what you got, and finish after that if need be. We have all week.
First poster gets to pick the image for next weekend's Riot!
So here's the image you're all waiting for....
................a banana tree!
http://www.wetcanvas.com/Community/images/14-Mar-2003/6393-banana_plant.jpg
Hahahahaha juuuuuuust kidding! :D
Here's the real one:
http://www.wetcanvas.com/Community/images/14-Mar-2003/6393-hibiscus.jpg
And for those of you who requested the portrait (these are photos from my hubby's working trip to Cuba) , here it is, too:
http://www.wetcanvas.com/Community/images/14-Mar-2003/6393-cuban_lady.jpg
Anyone daunted by the prospect of a portrait (that would be me) might check out Sandra Fletcher's excellent step-by-step lesson using your computer and printer to help out.
http://www.wetcanvas.com/Articles2/1073/128/
Everybody ready?...............Go!

Drumbeat-trish
03-14-2003, 09:00 PM
Well I kinda liked the look of the banana tree :) green bananas are yummy! umm anyone can have a go right????

sundiver
03-14-2003, 09:02 PM
Originally posted by Drumbeat-trish
Well I kinda liked the look of the banana tree :) green bananas are yummy! umm anyone can have a go right????

absolutely!

Mo.
03-15-2003, 08:12 AM
Thanks Sundiver, these are fabulous pics, I've grabbed the cuban lady, she is terrific, I'm tempted to put the bunch of bananas on top of her head too! :D

Cheers,
Mo.

Dark_Shades
03-15-2003, 08:52 AM
thanks for the pics Sundiver..... thats a very pretty flower.... what is it?
The portrait looks interesting .... have wanted to do someone with darker skin tones
.... must confess........ was hoping you were gonna post the photo of the car :D .... fancied doing that ..... maybe next time eh :)

Dark_Shades
03-15-2003, 08:53 AM
Originally posted by Mo.
Thanks Sundiver, these are fabulous pics, I've grabbed the cuban lady, she is terrific, I'm tempted to put the bunch of bananas on top of her head too! :D

Cheers,
Mo.

Great idea Mo .... lol

Mikki Petersen
03-15-2003, 10:53 AM
Now those are some very interesting bananas! Course I'm known for my attraction to greens. All three of these are terrific subjects. I may have a stab at all of them and see what happens.

rd2ruin
03-15-2003, 06:55 PM
I'll have to hop in later this week. I'm battling with some portraits now and our class is having a "Drawing I" exhibit I have to prepare for. (my first public display of anything that has my fingerprints on it :D )

It has to be drawn from lessons we have learned in class so I gotta make some perspective cubes or something. :rolleyes: :)

Cheers!
- Greg

Mo.
03-15-2003, 08:05 PM
I'll have to hop in later this week. I'm battling with some portraits now and our class is having a "Drawing I" exhibit I have to prepare for. (my first public display of anything that has my fingerprints on it )

It has to be drawn from lessons we have learned in class so I gotta make some perspective cubes or something.

Cheers!
- Greg

Hey Greg!! Your taking classes....good on you!....portraits too that's great...Wishing you good luck with that, I'm sure you will enjoy it.

Cheers,
Mo.

gmc
03-16-2003, 06:46 AM
Ok gang..........

you are all stalling so you won't be the first one to post!!!!!

:D :D :D

I probably won't be doing this one, so someone, please post something.

:confused: :evil: :confused: :D

geri

sundiver
03-16-2003, 10:09 AM
Originally posted by gmc
Ok gang..........
you are all stalling so you won't be the first one to post!!!!!
:D :D :D
I probably won't be doing this one, so someone, please post something.
:confused: :evil: :confused: :D
geri

I was thinking the same thing, especially after what happened last week.
So how 'bout we say next week's poster is whoever volunteers? And we all promise not to criticise their choice?
Anyway, here's my hibiscus. 5x7 , oil pastels. As soon as I started putting color on I realised the toothwas too strong, so I went over the first layer with Turpenoid.
I also tried the portrait. After 2 hours it was pretty bad....one more hour and it was dreadful!

rd2ruin
03-16-2003, 11:29 AM
I dont think anyone's stalling. The better part of North America here is enjoying thier first spring weekend ... without snow, cold, freezing rain, blizzard, etc in months. I wanna go out and play in the grass, too, but Dark_Shades has me fixing a portrait~! ;)

I'm sure it'll pick up when the weekend's over :)

Cheers!
- Greg

Dark_Shades
03-16-2003, 11:45 AM
Originally posted by rd2ruin
I dont think anyone's stalling. The better part of North America here is enjoying thier first spring weekend ... without snow, cold, freezing rain, blizzard, etc in months. I wanna go out and play in the grass, too, but Dark_Shades has me fixing a portrait~! ;)

I'm sure it'll pick up when the weekend's over :)

Cheers!
- Greg

.... I dont think anyone is stalling either..... just had a busy week with new job...... finishing up two paintings.... when I should of been working on another project... did some housework too :eek: .... anddddddddd Ive been helping Greg with a Portrait :evil: lolol :) ... dont think its a lack of interest nor subject matter..... just a matter of not enough hours in the day.... wahhhh

Dima
03-16-2003, 11:53 AM
Came upon this thread yesterday.
Liked the cuban lady and thought she would make a nice model for my second oilpastel.
(posted my first one 'Goat again' yesterday or friday)
I first thought to use velourspaper like for the first one but as oilpastels are an experiment for me all together I decided to try board with an underpainting in dry hardpastel.
Here is the underpainting on 28x24cm board with clear base gesso which took little over half an hour:

http://www.wetcanvas.com/Community/images/16-Mar-2003/2034-CubanLadyhardpastel.jpg

And about an hour of adding the oilpastels resulted into this:

http://www.wetcanvas.com/Community/images/16-Mar-2003/2034-CubanLadyoilpastel.jpg

Hope you like it.
Sundiver, are there more oilpastelists here on WC and would you know where to best get information about brands, what grounds to use, varnishing etc.?

Dick

Dark_Shades
03-16-2003, 12:01 PM
Wow Dima...... great stuff.... so glad you joined in...... great colours in the skin... think you have caught her expression really well

Think Mikki uses oil pastels alot

E-J
03-16-2003, 12:02 PM
Dawn ~ housework counts as stalling, in my book. Houses become self-cleaning after a few weeks of neglect. It's either that or I just can't see the mess for all this mess :D

Dick ~ I think you've done an excellent job with those oil pastels! I use op's occasionally ~ I like the Swiss ones, Caran d'Ache, as they're nice and creamy, and I just use them on Ingres pastel paper. I know that Mikki, whose WC name is 1mpete, is an oil pastellist too, so she may be able to offer you some advice.

Dark_Shades
03-16-2003, 12:06 PM
Originally posted by E-J
Dawn ~ housework counts as stalling, in my book. Houses become self-cleaning after a few weeks of neglect. It's either that or I just can't see the mess for all this mess :D

lolol EJ ....... so ok wheres ya posting... eh? .... eh? :D ... whats your stalling/excuse hee hee

E-J
03-16-2003, 12:11 PM
Originally posted by Dark_Shades
lolol EJ ....... so ok wheres ya posting... eh? .... eh? :D ... whats your stalling/excuse hee hee

I just posted on the weekly sketch thread. So NYEERRRR!!! :p

:D

Mikki Petersen
03-16-2003, 12:56 PM
Sundiver, your hibiscus is terrific. I just finished a project so today I will begin working on these. Still cannot decide which one I like best. Your husband is a good photgrapherwith a great eye for interesting subjects. And, for the record, I was not criticising last weeks photo in my comments and I am sorry everyone interpretted it that way.

Dick, you did a great job on the portrait. Isn't she just an amazing face. As for advice on oil pastel, I'm a newbie too. So far. I've found that most any surface that works for dry pastel also works for oil pastel although I find I prefer some fo the smoother surfaces. You actually did something I've been wondering about, which is using oil pastel over dry. Seems to have worked well for you. I would have thought the oil pastels would have lifted the dry pigment. How did you find the experience?

sundiver
03-16-2003, 05:33 PM
Dima, I like your oil pastel and never thought of putting it over the dry kind. Gotta try that one!
There has been more interest in oil pastel lately and if you look back, not all that far, you will find several threads on it. Also some of the weekly sketches are in o.p.
I use Holbein Artist pastels and some Caran D'Ache. Still experimenting with surfaces. If I use a textured surface I have to wash the first layer with turps. Otherwise I've been using Bristol Vellum.
Ok, I decided was being chicken to not post my portrait. I spent another 15 min on it which improved it somewhat. I was using Sandra Fletcher's tutorial but forgot about it after the first couple of steps, to my regret. Can't win 'em all. 8x10, mostly pastel pencils

Dark_Shades
03-16-2003, 05:41 PM
Ohhhh Sundiver..... this is excellent....... beautiful, beautiful colours in the skin..... love it ... think this is the first portrait Ive seen of yours...... Well Done indeed

:clap:

.... what pastel pencils are these

Mo.
03-16-2003, 06:54 PM
Dick and Sundiver....great portraits, both very different styles but both have captured the subject brilliantly. :clap: :clap:

Sundiver...Love your flower, those oils pastels are really good, I may have to give up soft pastels, my doctor has been lecturing me about the dust and my asthma, have to have some tests done, depends on the result whether I can continue or not with them, so it might be a return to oil pastels for me.

Have been stalling too, spent two dys enjoting the spring weather in the garden....WORKING folks...WORKING!!! :D :D

cheers,
Mo.

Mikki Petersen
03-17-2003, 12:17 AM
Sundiver, I can't imagine what it was that you did in only fifteen minutes to turn this into a beautiful portrait. I suspect it was beautiful to begin with and you were just being to critical with yourself. It is an excellent likeness of the subject with really lovely skin tones.

E-J
03-17-2003, 05:49 AM
Wendy, I love the soft effect you get with the pastel pencils. I never got to grips with them first time around, might have to dig them out and have another go. Thanks for the info you sent me on your paper btw. I think I'm going to have to place an order with Dick Blick so I can try some new pastel papers, as there is zero choice locally. Certainly haven't seen Strathmore.

Dick's painting is a looser style and a different medium but just as appealing.

You're very brave to tackle a portrait. I wouldn't know where to start! Think I'll stick with teapots and lemons for the minute... :)

Smudger
03-17-2003, 05:54 AM
Fantastic Portraits, :clap: i wasn't brave enough for that so i'll start on my little flower today

Mikki Petersen
03-17-2003, 04:36 PM
Well, this one took a lot longer than I had anticipated, about 4 hours. It was a real challenge to try and capture those luminous greens and shade them without making the green muddy.

Green Bananas
pastel on Strathmore
8.5x11 inches
http://www.wetcanvas.com/Community/images/17-Mar-2003/14550-green_bananas.jpg

Dima
03-17-2003, 04:41 PM
Thanks to all for looking and commenting.

E-J, are the Caran d'Ache ones called neopastel or neocolor?

Mikki and Sundiver, I used the hardpastel rather sparingly and I suppose it worked well because of the rather coarse texture of the clear gesso base and I suspect that on a smoother surface the dry colour might lift/smear.

If you want to try out different surfaces I can advice the clear gesso by W&N. Is also great for soft pastels, see:

Mikki, saw your box of senneliers in the other thread, looks great.
Possibly I might be able to get them here in Holland, don't think anybody will sell the Holbeins here.

Does anybody here varnish oilpastels?
One of my concerns is that oilpastel will never completely dry.
And another concern is that the oils will in time eat the paper.

Dick

Mikki Petersen
03-17-2003, 04:45 PM
I read somewhere that you should NOT varnish oil pstels but that there are fixatives made especially for them that can be used. The most consistent advise is the same as for dry pastel, frame it under glass to preserve it.

sundiver
03-17-2003, 05:24 PM
Bill Creevy, in The Pastel Book, shows a method of using acrylic medium between layers of oil pastel. The last layer has to have medium over it, too or the texture difference is too obvious. It acts as a varnish. I did some last summer and they don`t appear any the worse for it.

Luvy
03-17-2003, 10:39 PM
Ok What's this pastel riot about? I've been missing something? Have a headache tonight so didn't read much of this thread. But I'm going for the Cuban lady. *S* Am I too late? Is this a monthly thing? I'm lost LOL

Mikki Petersen
03-17-2003, 10:46 PM
Hi, Luvy! It's a weekly...started by Greg (rd2ruin). Unlike the weekly sketch threads, this one is not timed. The idea is to post a reference photo each week and see how everyone treats it. This week is special because there are several to choose from.

sundiver
03-17-2003, 10:53 PM
You participated in last week's Riot, Luvy, remember the bananas?
And speaking of bananas, Mikki, wow! Love those cool highlights.

E-J
03-18-2003, 03:27 AM
Greg, the Caran d'Ache oil pastels are called Neopastel.

Neocolor are their artist's crayons, which I also love.

Neocolor II are crayons too, but watersoluble ones.

I don't see not fixing oil pastels as being a problem ~ the surface is less fragile than a soft pastel painting ~ just store each one flat under a protective sheet of tracing paper or tissue paper.

You can get a special paper for oil pastels, if you're worried about the permanence of your support. I think the one I used was made by Daler-Rowney but these days I just use Ingres.

Dark_Shades
03-18-2003, 06:12 PM
well I was hoping I was going to get at least the face finished ..... but I didnt :D .... this is around two hours worth. As you can see its black paper :) ... I havent done anything to the eyes except mark some white in there (so they look a bit off) .... white pastel pencil wouldnt work, it turned grey.... so a bit fiddley with Nupastel sticks. .. Was going to use Pastel Pencils only, but then remembered how long they take to cover ;) .... so laid in nupastels.... blending over using pencils
Canson Mi-Tientes 8.5 x 11" ... the face is a bit knocked out of shape to the right side from blending .... but will put that back into shape if I continue with it :)

http://www.wetcanvas.com/Community/images/18-Mar-2003/12116-CubanLady.jpg

E-J
03-18-2003, 06:21 PM
Black paper, Dawn. That's a new direction for you, LOL, nice to see you experimenting ;) Your portrait's looking good.

Confession: I haven't pastelled for two days. Go on, rap me over the knuckles with a mahlstick. I dug out my acrylics this evening for the first time in a year to paint with a friend. All I can say is, it was a real struggle! None of the immediacy of application that I've already come to love about pastels ~ and it took AGES to set everything up. Acrylics are fun but pastels must have have spoiled me ~ I found the whole experience exhausting!

Mikki Petersen
03-18-2003, 06:41 PM
Dawn, you are so good at capturing likenesses! It just amazes me. I'm hacking away at this same portrait and I'm not even close to a likeness. Your still lifes are good, but I just love your portrait work.

Mo.
03-18-2003, 07:14 PM
Mikki : Beautiful green banansa, looked like quie a challenge with the green, but you've done well to keep them so fresh looking.:)

Dawn, your portrait is starting to look great, here's mine below, have to lay off the soft pastels for a while, so dug out my dried ip 25years old CaranD'ache, but so limited for colours, so must replenish, this is about 6 hours work, size approx 11x15 inches on dark green cansons, the pastels were pretty dry and had problems blending them, but it was good fun, forgotten how enjoyable they are to use....and no dust!! :D

http://www.wetcanvas.com/Community/images/18-Mar-2003/5154-cubanlady_pastel.jpg

Cheers,
Mo.

Mikki Petersen
03-18-2003, 09:36 PM
Gosh, Mo! You too are amazing with the portraits. I'm working on mine but so far, I'm too embarrased to post it. Maybe I should stick with botany.

Tell me, what exactly are the Caran d' Ache. Are they colored pencils? Oil pastels? or something else? You certainly managed to acchieve very bright colors with them.

Luvy
03-18-2003, 09:43 PM
Ok who chose this pic of the woman in a turban? I can't do zebra or lepoard. How do you guys do this? Grrr I just blocked in the hat thingy. Have lots to do on that. Been working on this a couple of hours now. Taking a break before trying that turban. grrrrr
I see some of you can do that hat and wonderfully. (crossing my fingers to get this thing right)

Mikki Petersen
03-18-2003, 10:05 PM
Luvy, great job on the face! You really captured that resigned look she has. As for the turban, I kinda like the way you've got it. Nothing says just because the phot os of animal print that your painting has to be too.

Luvy
03-18-2003, 11:28 PM
Ok I'm done with this I think. Any suggestions?

Impete thanks but I had to try You know? LOLSo it's a fuzzy looking zebra LOL

Mo HOW DID YOU DO THAT HAT? It's beautiful. Great job *S*

E-J
03-19-2003, 04:19 AM
Nice one, Mo ~ your version of the Cuban lady tempts me to have a go myself. I dunno, I used to always mope about what to paint. These days there are just too many subjects and too little time!! Luvy, you have made a fine job of this too ~ you should be very pleased with it!

Smudger
03-19-2003, 04:54 AM
I used to always mope about what to paint. These days there are just too many subjects and too little time!!

I know exactly what you mean, the great gift that WC has given me is inspiration! i too used to agonise over what to paint and now i have a huge cue of images in my head waiting to be painted and not enough hours in the day to paint them:)

Mikki Petersen
03-19-2003, 09:45 AM
the great gift that WC has given me is inspiration!

Isn't that the truth! Between the projects that tempt me and the reference images that capture my imagination and the great posts from al the artists...I just can't paint fast enough to keep up with all the things I want to paint!

Drumbeat-trish
03-19-2003, 12:56 PM
Wow -some awesome work here !!!!!!!! After spending about an hour and half on that hibiscus I re-confirmed for myself what I already knew .... flowers/ foliage, and Trish just don't get on together !!!!!!! So I'm gonna be a chicken and not post it -put it on my list of either forget that or practise till you feel comfortable :)

Dark_Shades
03-19-2003, 05:47 PM
Originally posted by E-J
I dug out my acrylics this evening for the first time in a year to paint with a friend. All I can say is, it was a real struggle! None of the immediacy of application that I've already come to love about pastels ~ and it took AGES to set everything up. I found the whole experience exhausting!

Traitor :eek: .. ha ha ha ... serves ya right :p :D

Dark_Shades
03-19-2003, 05:52 PM
promise not to bore you with another posting in here after this one hee hee.... just wanted to show you, more or less finished the skin, and working on the hat/turban somewhat

http://www.wetcanvas.com/Community/images/19-Mar-2003/12116-CubanLady.jpg

Ohhhh question .... I wasn't going to do the shirt, .... but do you think I should?

Mo.
03-19-2003, 06:08 PM
Mikki: Caran D'ache are oil pastels, the ones I have are ancient and the oil has dried out in them but the wax hasn't so very hard to work with, I've now ordered about 50 different colours (Senneliers)of my choice from JacksonsArt. I have to go easy on using the soft pastels, so it's back to oils for me. I love them though.

Luvy: Great portrait, good skin tones and I like your hat. :) As to how I did mine, can't really say... I just did.:D sort of put lots of squiggly marks in light grey and black,....didn't have a white.

Dawn. : Your portrait is looking real good, and yes, put in the shirt, otherwise she's seems disembodied. :) I like that bobbly bit on the side...didn't realise it was part of the turban in the pic...thought it was something in the background...can see now what it is! Super!!

Go on then get it finished you slacker! :D

Cheers,
Mo.

Mo.
03-19-2003, 06:13 PM
I did a flower! :D.... with me dried up oil pastels :D.

about 45 mins 9x12 inches.

http://www.wetcanvas.com/Community/images/19-Mar-2003/5154-hibiscus.jpg

Mo.

Dark_Shades
03-19-2003, 06:19 PM
Thas really pretty Mo, well done

E-J
03-19-2003, 06:37 PM
Great background colour, Mo ~ really looks good with the pinky-red flowers.

Dawn ~ I vote for you doing the shirt. Your portrait is excellent ~ wonderful texture on the cheeks especially ~ but the poor woman looks like she's been decapitated :D

That skin is really good, you know.

Dark_Shades
03-19-2003, 06:43 PM
Originally posted by E-J
Dawn ~ I vote for you doing the shirt. [/B]

Ohhh Poop!!! .... I thought you n Mo were my friends :crying: .... phff!! obviously not :D ...... ok .... Ill add a shirt :p :)

Mo.
03-19-2003, 07:02 PM
Heehee...we are.. when you want the truth...ask your friends right.:D:cat: ...now get on with it woman!

Mikki Petersen
03-19-2003, 07:39 PM
Awe, Trish, It's probably a lot better than you are giving yourself credit for.

butterfly
03-19-2003, 09:07 PM
Hi everyone:

Here is my first try with this exercise ... I worked about 2-1/2 hours on this. Will give it more time tomorrow. Probably gonna take more than another 1/2 hour. I really am envious of how easy you all make it look!!! I used just plain charcoal paper that is 12x18. Next time I will try and use a smaller sheet.

Everyone else's is looking REAL GOOD ! But I am going to be a sport and realize I will only learn by good constructive comments (hint hint) and practice, practice etc.

Well here goes and thanks for looking .... Roni

[IMG]http://www.wetcanvas.com/Community/images/19-Mar-2003/19725-FlowerCustom.jpg[/IMG:

butterfly
03-19-2003, 09:16 PM
Sorry hope it works this time ...

[IMG]http://www.wetcanvas.com/Community/images/19-Mar-2003/19725-FlowerCustom.jpg[/IMG

I'm doing something wrong here .... Roni

sundiver
03-19-2003, 09:41 PM
Roni, did you copy and paste from the uploader, or use the browse button?
I guess I'm saying, whichever one you tried, try the other one!)

butterfly
03-19-2003, 10:31 PM
Sundiver:

Thanks I will try it now. I'm no computer wizard -- my husband has his doctorate in computer science ... but he said he never really messed with imaging. . . so I am doing this sort of blindflolded and learning as I go ... here goes ....

http://www.wetcanvas.com/Community/images/19-Mar-2003/19725-FlowerCustom.jpg

It worked ....:clap: :clap: Thank you Roni

Mikki Petersen
03-19-2003, 10:51 PM
So glad you figured out the posting because this is beautiful. Can't wait to see how you finish it. Your interpretation is great.

Dark_Shades
03-20-2003, 01:49 AM
Originally posted by butterfly
Sundiver:

Thanks I will try it now. I'm no computer wizard -- my husband has his doctorate in computer science ... but he said he never really messed with imaging. . . so I am doing this sort of blindflolded and learning as I go ... here goes ....

http://www.wetcanvas.com/Community/images/19-Mar-2003/19725-FlowerCustom.jpg

It worked ....:clap: :clap: Thank you Roni

..... well its absolutely lovely........ well done :clap:

E-J
03-20-2003, 03:13 AM
Roni/butterfly ~ it's lovely ~ the light shimmering on the petals is very very well done! Glad you've joined the forum! :)

sundiver
03-20-2003, 07:15 AM
Look at all these wonderful portraits and hibiscuseseses (what's plural for hibiscus?:) )!
I showed them to my DH and he thought it was very cool to see his snapshots turned into art by pastellists all over the world.
D-T, our posts don't have to be perfect , this is a LEARNING thread!:D
BTW I'm at work now, finally my classroom computer is connected, and it's amazing how different the images look on different monitors.
Okay, now we have some business to attend to.
With all these posts and hits , this thread is obviously worth continuing. Soooooo, tomorrow's the weekend! Who's gonna volunteer to post the image for Pastel Riot lll ?
Hmmmmmm?

Mikki Petersen
03-20-2003, 09:00 AM
Sundiver, I can post some shots if nobody else volunteers. We placed our house on the market yesterday so I'm going to be kind of busy for a while but I'd be willing to contribute.

sundiver
03-20-2003, 04:20 PM
Go for it, Mikki! :D
Thanks for volunteering!

Smudger
03-21-2003, 09:28 AM
Well i got there finally! pastel pic number 3 and once again i've learnt loads, in fact i experimented with technique so much on this one i was in danger of experimenting it right off the paper at one point.:eek: Think i managed to pull it back from the brink tho':)

OK i'm ready... lets have the next one:D

:clap: Once again, brilliant work from every one this week, i'm afraid i'm not quite ready for a portrait yet.:clap:

E-J
03-21-2003, 09:43 AM
Lovely fresh yummy colours Mark!! :)

Mikki Petersen
03-21-2003, 11:35 AM
All these Hibiscus paintings are stunners! Every one of them is just outstanding.

Now, for next week, since I'm the fool who volunteered...did you enjoy having a couple of options or would you rather have one subject that everyone has to attempt? I liked having several ideas (I'm still struggling with the portrait...) but can see value in just one subject too. What'll it be folks?

Dark_Shades
03-21-2003, 11:51 AM
wonderful work Smudger... well done

...... Mikki.... what options we got lol, and then we'll tell ya :D

Mikki Petersen
03-21-2003, 12:23 PM
Sounds fair...I've picked out a couple of things. One is a floral, an unusual stalk of purple flowers. Another floral is a poppy at the base of an ornate wrought iron fence. A still life of a straw hat and sunglasses on a cement table and, my favorite, a great portrait subject of a little girl (my neighbor) wearing a big floppy hat. There is one more I thought about of an old rusted jaloupy (car) next to an antique gas pump for those who like landscapes. Any of those sound interesting? I have literally thousands to pick from...

Dark_Shades
03-21-2003, 12:47 PM
Originally posted by 1mpete
Sounds fair...I've picked out a couple of things. One is a floral, an unusual stalk of purple flowers. Another floral is a poppy at the base of an ornate wrought iron fence. A still life of a straw hat and sunglasses on a cement table and, my favorite, a great portrait subject of a little girl (my neighbor) wearing a big floppy hat. There is one more I thought about of an old rusted jaloupy (car) next to an antique gas pump for those who like landscapes. Any of those sound interesting? I have literally thousands to pick from...

hmmmmm decisions, decisions.. all sound nice... but... hmm ... florals....nah :p , they may have greens in them hee hee :D .... well I love portraits and that sounds great ..... and am enjoying still lifes, and yours certainly sounds interesting.... but the one thats got my interest the most is the car and antique pump, never done anything like that before, and only seen two vehicles in WC

.... will be interesting to see what others think

Mo.
03-21-2003, 12:48 PM
Mikki, they all sound interesting...5 pics to choose from... I vote you show them all and make it a 2 week riot instead of a 1 week with that selection, :)

Mo.

sundiver
03-21-2003, 02:26 PM
I vote we stick to a week and one or two images (I know I put 3; the bananas were a joke, but the joke was on me because they made a beautiful pastel!). Okay, maaabe three!
The reason I say this is because the monthly project will have lots of images and we'll have a whole month to do them. I like the one-week thing, short and snappy.
The old car sounds intriguing but I'll try anything! Whatever you post will be fine.

BTW smudger that flower is gorgeous!

Taminka
03-21-2003, 05:05 PM
Just had a quick skim through this thread - there's some wonderful work here. It's fascinating to see so many totally different approaches to the same subjects.
Wish I could join in - maybe after my exhibition committments are out of the way.

Minky

Drumbeat-trish
03-21-2003, 08:26 PM
Ummmmmm I know I didn't post mine this week -but I DID do it and I promise for next weeks. If we are going for 3 how about:
the poppy, the floppy, and the jaloupy????? :)
That would give a floral a portrait and a landscape. And they rhyme -logical??????

Luvy
03-21-2003, 08:39 PM
Ok I'm ready Impete. Get those photos up. I need to do something constructive *S*

Dark_Shades
03-22-2003, 01:42 AM
Originally posted by Drumbeat-trish
If we are going for 3 how about:
the poppy, the floppy, and the jaloupy????? :)

LOLOLOL

angeline
03-22-2003, 06:02 AM
I'm gutted I have missed doing anything on this , this week......will have to catch up!Just been soooooo busy working...and I only have tonigt then in again for another 4 nights. I'm trying to work out if I could take a few pastels into work with me and a pad......I do get an hours break time so could do it then.mmmmmmmmm

Mikki Petersen
03-22-2003, 06:31 AM
Dawn...

Somehow I missed pasting a comment on your portrait which is wowser as usual. The black paper was a good choice. I chose a grey La Carte which is okay but not nearly as dramatic. I got a fair start on it but have been so busy sorting, packing cleaning, meeting with realtors (they want me to pack up my studio and make it look like a bedroom!), that I don't know when I'll get to finish it.

guilliame
04-09-2003, 03:46 PM
Well i have always 2 or 3 things on the the go and this is one of them it got put to one side while doing other things and 2/3 weeks went by and i thought it was to late anyway i picked up on it so here is my version of the cuban lady:D .
Iv'e quickly scrolled thro and i llike all the other versions of the cuban lady [DS didyou ever et round to doing the shirt?].

Dark_Shades
04-09-2003, 04:14 PM
Nice to see you posting Guilly....... good one, at least you finished yours ...... you've just reminded me about my own, its on my lists of 'to finish' .... this is how far Ive got so far lol

http://www.wetcanvas.com/Community/images/09-Apr-2003/12116-12116-4.jpg

still need to finish off her neck and hat.... and the eyes :)

E-J
04-09-2003, 04:57 PM
Dawn this is bootiful... very accomplished... this one deserves pride of place on your website [the newer one, LOL] The skin is fabulous.

guilli's Cuban lady looks friendlier tho :D

guilliame
04-10-2003, 12:49 PM
Hi DS love what you have done with the eyes and the frowns in the forehead i had a lot of problems with that but couldn't seem to define it very well,not sure about the hairy chest puts a different slant on things:D

guilliame
04-10-2003, 02:23 PM
Whooops got interrupted,EJ thanks for the friendly look comment,i tried for a disconcerted look as she seems to be upset about something and didn't quite get the expression i wanted:) so near and yet so far:D .

DS.put the sledgehammer away i know you have to finish the neck area lol:D

Dark_Shades
04-10-2003, 04:02 PM
ha ha guilly, I saw it like that too...... but between you n me...... Ive lost interest.... I was only interested in the skin/face :eek:

Mo.
04-10-2003, 06:59 PM
Hey Guilliame and Dawn, two beautiful ladies you've painted, I thought Guilliames looked like Shirley Bassey! :D... It's the lips! :D

But what about this weeks thread? I'm on my own in there....Come on paint the horsey! :D

Cheers,
Mo.

Dark_Shades
03-30-2004, 06:50 PM
Hey Presto!!!.......

been digging in the dungeons....... this is what its all about
* Bump * Bump

Kathryn Wilson
03-30-2004, 07:06 PM
I've asked Greg to hold off just a bit on doing the Riot until the new April Pastel Project hosted by E-J has had time to settle in and start up some participation. We can expect something possibly mid-week next week.

The Project is in the queue and we should be seeing it in the next day or two.

bnoonan
03-30-2004, 07:58 PM
Wow - I remember these! I was sure I was seeing things... Guess you never know what will appear in here!

B

rd2ruin
03-31-2004, 01:16 AM
The Project is in the queue and we should be seeing it in the next day or two.

I will be looking forward to it, and may try not to embarass myself participating :D

The Pastel Riot will be a nice break from the project later next week. Besides, I'm too busy trying not to embarassing myself over in oils LOL ;)

http://www.wetcanvas.com/forums/showthread.php?t=178576

Cheers!
- Greg

Mikki Petersen
03-31-2004, 02:07 AM
What a hoot! Saw this on my subscription list and thought I was seeing things! These had some real value just to give subjects to those who needed them.

Dark_Shades
03-31-2004, 06:35 AM
Good isnt it............ a blast from the past.........

like visiting old friends :) .... there used to be alot more laughs in here in the 'Good Ol Days' :D :evil:

Cheena K
04-02-2004, 07:56 AM
i want to participate...I hope it's not too late...I saw this thread y'day but then couldn't locate it today...well, just did :clap:

Am I in time?

Kathryn Wilson
04-02-2004, 08:03 AM
It's not started yet Muttley - probably the middle of this next week. If you watch the top of the page and look for the Stickies, that's where you will find it. Love your enthusiasm!

Khadres
04-03-2004, 08:05 AM
I did a flower! :D.... with me dried up oil pastels :D.

about 45 mins 9x12 inches.

http://www.wetcanvas.com/Community/images/19-Mar-2003/5154-hibiscus.jpg

Mo.

Looks like there's life in those old geriatric oil pastels after all! :D
Good job!