PDA

View Full Version : Golden Grasses

allydoodle
09-20-2011, 05:08 PM
I always paint with some friends at least once a week, so I took small break from my commission today. This is a very small painting, 8 1/2"x8 1/2", done on Canson paper (color twilight). I used my Sennelier Plein Aire 80pc half stick set. The reference is a photo I took of a local boat dock. This is one of the views they have there, quite beautiful.

I'm feeling like Dr. Jekyll and Mr. Hyde right now, considering the totally different approach I take with my commission work :lol: . It almost looks like two different people painted them (commission vs. this painting). I really pushed the colors, wanted to try something different. Not totally in love with it, but I did enjoy the colors.

I tried a neat trick. After I thought I was finishd with this, I put it on my computer and warmed it up a bit with some photo manipulation. I liked it better, so I tried to rework it using that as the reference. The first post is the original attempt, the second post is the manipulation, the third post is my final version. I think I like the final version best. I found it to be a pretty neat tool, working from a manipulated version of my own painting. I guess I just had to play. Nothing earth-shattering, just something neat to try.

Anyway, here they are:

My original attempt:

http://www.wetcanvas.com/Community/images/20-Sep-2011/93075-golden_grasses.jpg

The one that I photo manipulated on the computer (warmed it up):

http://www.wetcanvas.com/Community/images/20-Sep-2011/93075-golden_grasses_2.jpg

My final version (this is what the painting looks like now):

http://www.wetcanvas.com/Community/images/20-Sep-2011/93075-golden_grasses_finished.jpg

C&C always appreciated, thanks for looking.

Now, back to my commission...................... :D

equinespirit
09-20-2011, 06:03 PM
I think this is a great idea to keep you refreshed whilst doing your commissioned piece :thumbsup:
Love the water :heart:

sketchZ1ol
09-20-2011, 06:41 PM
hello
i'm not a big fan of computer tweaking , but
if you've figured out the buttons or whatever ,
it looks like a good way to stretch the shoulders out from a magnifier :lol:
- mind that far shore line tho ... :)

d :}

Dougwas
09-20-2011, 06:58 PM
They look like two different paintings. I like the idea of using the computer to tweak a painting to see what it would look like with the change. I like both versions. Your reflections look great.

Doug

Turpintine45
09-20-2011, 09:05 PM
The tweak worked really well and this is another vibrant painting!

allydoodle
09-20-2011, 09:44 PM
Thanks Sarah, sometimes I need a break, albeit a small one, to refresh myself. I'll be back on the commission tommorrow.

Thank you Ed. When I took a photo of the painting and put it into the computer, I just though to try and see what it would look like a bit warmer. I liked what I saw and just continued painting to try to achieve what I saw on the computer. Just a little something to pass the time...... I know, that far shore is a bit dark, it needs to be lightened a bit you're right. I will tend to it before matting this. This isn't 'frame-worthy', but a mat will at least keep it protected from the ever present possibility of smudging. Oh, and no magnifier needed with this one, just a tad bit looser I'd say.......:lol:

Thanks Doug. It was a neat exercise, I might try it again sometime. It was kind of weird copying my own painting so to speak, but interesting as well.

Thanks Jen. Yeah, I really pushed the envelope with the colors on this one didn't I :lol: ?

ArtsyPatrice
09-20-2011, 10:22 PM
Excellent example - Thank you for sharing! I agree with the improvements...

Phil Bates
09-20-2011, 11:37 PM
Nice.

rsmith.1141
09-21-2011, 09:53 AM
Love these colors together, Chris!

allydoodle
09-21-2011, 06:17 PM
Thanks so much Patrice, Phil & Randy!

CJsArtWC
09-21-2011, 07:48 PM
Neat idea. Thanks for sharing. I like the final version best. I don't know why - maybe more color harmony.

SherryC
09-21-2011, 08:39 PM
Very interesting. I had not thought of using my computer to experiment with color. Great idea and nice work.

allydoodle
09-22-2011, 06:10 PM
Thanks very much Carolyn. Yes, there is better color harmony in the last version. I put peach into the sky, which married it to the land I think.

Thank you Sherry. It was a neat experiment, something I may try again.

John Palmer Fine Art
09-23-2011, 11:58 AM
Very nice work and a worthwhile experiment Chris, I prefer the last version also.

allydoodle
09-23-2011, 10:04 PM
Thanks John, I appreciate it!

barriespapa
09-24-2011, 01:34 PM
Lovely little relaxing break Chris good idea, and I think there is still a professional quality to this painting as well.
David

nvcricket
09-24-2011, 07:01 PM
This works for me...great idea playing with it on the computer some.
The painting turned out wonderful!
The Jeckle/Hyde is so true.... made me LOL

Carol

Barbara01
09-24-2011, 08:09 PM
I like the original but the last one really works, nice job. It's funny how the camera and the computer can help you really see the art.

allydoodle
09-25-2011, 10:57 PM
Thanks David, yes sometimes one needs a break!

Thank you Carol, yes the Dr. Jekyll and Mr. Hyde syndrome, pretty funny, huh :lol: ? This is so loose compared to the portrait, I sometimes wonder about myself......:eek:

Thanks so much Barbara, it was a neat idea I think, to use the computer. I might do it again sometime.

jackiesimmonds
09-26-2011, 03:22 AM
I think the value if your playing around is to show you how you can adjust the atmosphere in a scene by altering the contrasts and temperature. There isn't a "better" one, just all three are DIFFERENT!

Depends entirely on what you want in your pic, colour harmony, or colour contrast.

allydoodle
09-26-2011, 07:29 AM
I think the value if your playing around is to show you how you can adjust the atmosphere in a scene by altering the contrasts and temperature. There isn't a "better" one, just all three are DIFFERENT!

Depends entirely on what you want in your pic, colour harmony, or colour contrast.

Hi Jackie,

I do think you are right. I believe I wanted more color harmony in the end, which was what prompted me to play with it on the computer. I liked the idea of incorporating more of the colors of the land into the sky and water. I think because I used such a strong red in the land, I wanted to make sure versions of it appeared in both.

Thanks so much, it was a fun experiment, and neat to see how subtle changes can make a big difference. The more I play, the more I see the value in taking risks. It's only paper, not so precious really. What is precious are the things we learn......... I like that, if I do say so myself :smug: !