PDA

View Full Version : A slightly embarrasing problem

Aelfwynn
09-20-2011, 02:00 PM
Technically, I suppose this should maybe go in drawing, because it's about the preliminary sketch I'm doing on the canvas for a painting, but I need advice from painters!

So I have these two reference photos that I'm using (one by me one by my husband) of the same street scene from slightly different angles on the same day. unfortunately, they weren't quite aligned right. I tried to straighten them out in gimp, and thought I more or less had (hard to tell, given that most of the buildings themselves aren't straight up and down, being OLD). But then I got 3/4 of the way through sketching it onto the canvas and discovered that the focal point building, which is straight up and down in real life, isn't in my sketch.

What do y'all suggest I do? my two options are, as far as I can tell, start sketching all over (this took a lot of time) or paint it crooked or try to correct it while painting. This is the most complicated picture I've ever tried to paint, so I'm not confident of my skill to do the latter, really.

Andrew
09-20-2011, 03:33 PM
It depends on some level how literal you want to interpret the photos.

If it were me, I would start with the photo that best aligned with the pov I was trying to use on the canvas. After cropping out all the unnecessary stuff, through rough sketches and thumbnails, I would sit down and do a more elaborate drawing or cartoon. Either actual size or to scale.

There, using using the photos as a reference, I would compose the shot and work out all the perspective, shading, and proporation issues. Once I have a pre-lim I like, I may or may not do a few color studies to get a palette that I helps me say what I want, then I transfer the drawing to my support, and go.

Andrew

Aelfwynn
09-20-2011, 04:05 PM
So in otherwords, start over?

Keep in mind, I was 3/4 of the way through sketching it on my canvas. :)

Andrew
09-20-2011, 05:53 PM
I just gave you what I would approach the problem. If you are facile enough, you could make the corrections directly on the canvas. Just back up to the last point you feel is "right" and then adjust.

Andrew

Charlie's Mum
09-20-2011, 06:17 PM
Andrew's advice seems sensible Mercy ...... if you need that building and can't find a way to incorporate into your drawing at this stage, there doesn't seem to be much choice!

Is it absolutely necessary to be accurate with the buildings - not the perspective, but the number, shape and position?

Aelfwynn
09-20-2011, 06:19 PM
The building's there, it's just that everything's canting to one side, and that building's where you can tell!

ETA: I see where I was ambiguous about that in my OP, sorry about that. :o

Aelfwynn
09-20-2011, 08:28 PM
Ok, in an insomnia-induced bout of clarity (HAH!), I realized that I didn't manage to ask the question I really meant, because I wasn't specific enough:

If I correct the one building in the sketch on the canvas that currently looks more tilted then the rest (because it's the one building that should be really vertical), is that likely to make the rest look too tilted compared to the ground and that building?

Andrew, what bothered me about your response was that it seemed to me like the answer to a different question, that is "how should I, in your opinion, go from reference photo to sketch on a support". I already did several of the steps you refer to, it's just that I wound up with a tilt when I sketched onto the canvas.

Zena
09-20-2011, 09:26 PM
Where are the photos/drawings you are referring to?I don't see them on your blog?Thanks,Jan

Charlie's Mum
09-21-2011, 08:53 AM
Mercy - it might be a lot easier for the rest of us if you post your work so we can help :D

Aelfwynn
09-21-2011, 09:13 AM
Mercy - it might be a lot easier for the rest of us if you post your work so we can help :D

I realized that this morning. I'll post them as soon as I get a photo of the canvas taken, but that won't be until tonight some time.

Next time I'll wait until I get over being sick to post advice, it'll probably go much smoother. :rolleyes:

Andrew
09-21-2011, 11:52 AM
Mercy,

I meant no offense. Sometimes you need to back up and start over, and other times you don't.

A quick and dirty thing you can do, is to draw a straight horizontal line at your horizon line and then draw a plumb line or lines for your buildings. I would use chalk or charcoal so you can erase them readily The buildings may be more off than you think, you may be focusing on what appears to be the worst.

If it overall lines up to the plumb line, make your corrections and go with it. If it is all farther off than you feel comfortable or happy with, then tone it out and start over.

Andrew

Aelfwynn
09-21-2011, 12:47 PM
I may try that plumb line idea. I'll have to give some thought to 'how off is too off' considering that some of the buildings are medieval and, well, not plumb. Something for when I'm thinking more clearly again, I think.

Aelfwynn
09-21-2011, 12:49 PM
Next time I'll wait until I get over being sick to post advice, it'll probably go much smoother. :rolleyes:

Whoops, it won't let me edit, but I meant to "post asking for advice." Where's that facepalm smilie....

Andrew
09-21-2011, 01:43 PM
I may try that plumb line idea. I'll have to give some thought to 'how off is too off' considering that some of the buildings are medieval and, well, not plumb. Something for when I'm thinking more clearly again, I think.

A friend of mine has some paintings and photos he did of native american and central american "adobe" buildings. Some of them bow and bend enough they look like he was on drugs.

Andrew

Aelfwynn
10-03-2011, 04:04 AM
update: I think I'll be able to fix it by looking at plumblines and redrawing some of the lines. I noticed that a couple of the "mistakes" I made while sketching actually weren't mistakes, they were things being drawn vertical! Also, I caught a proportion problem, *phew* (at least I caught it before I started to paint).

I think the biggest problem was just panicking at the thought of needing to start over from scratch. Something I need to get used to --starting over, that is, not panicking! :lol: But this time, I don't think I need to.