PDA

View Full Version : Great prepared surface and underpainting demo

Potoma
09-20-2011, 09:36 AM
This is from this month's PJ - Robert K. Carsten (http://www.artistsnetwork.com/articles/art-demos-techniques/underpaintings?r=passsnl09201&lid=passsnl092011&et_mid=519022&rid=2850161). I am loving it!

Not only is it a highly textured surface created, he switches back and forth between pastel application and alcohol/OSM to give it depths of color.

I should do this today. Am gallery sitting. Might as well get it dusty!

sketchZ1ol
09-20-2011, 11:18 AM
hello
thx Bonnie !
i've bookmarked this one :)
- as a sidenote , a watercolourist friend had told me that
she pre-soaks the paper if it has a heavy sizing in order to
get the pigment into the paper rather than drying
on top of the sizing/surface .
> i wonder if a bit of water thinning would do the same for the gel .

Ed :}

Potoma
09-20-2011, 05:38 PM
I'd always heard to dilute and stir it until it is the consistency of sour cream. I think that's a Susan Oglivie instruction. Not sure how the gesso he used compares.

robertsloan2
09-21-2011, 03:08 AM
Also bookmarked it. Thanks, Bonnie! Looking forward to seeing your results with this technique. I'll be taking it easy for a few days since I overexerted but I'll definitely want to try it sometime.

Hmm... soaking the paper to remove sizing is something I don't usually do because it's too much physical work and I like the sizing when I use watercolor. But it may help with underpaintings. I might try that sometime too on a small one that fits in the sink in my room.

Potoma
09-21-2011, 07:55 AM
I decided it would be too messy, so I did a little 5x5 completely with pastel pencils on a prepared surface of clear Colorfix put down on mat board. Did wet a bit for effect.

Tomorrow is my regular paint out day, but it's raining, so maybe I'll do this inside instead. I already choose some photos that would be cool to base this on.

Next, to be able to take pictures. Looks like next Tuesday is the next bright day.