PDA

View Full Version : Bin Art

westcoast_Mike
09-19-2011, 06:07 PM
Just thought Id share a tip got from an Artist in our Pastel Society for bin art over the weekend. What she does is get standard size mats and Clear Bags to fit same. She places a piece of clear acetate over the painting and then the mat goes on top. The assembled piece then goes in the Clear Bag with a sheet on the back that has information for the framer to remove the acetate prior to framing. She has been using this method for several years in settings that get high traffic without any problems.

Kathryn Wilson
09-19-2011, 07:25 PM
Very timely as I'm getting ready for a solo show - but what I am unclear on is the acetate. Could you point me in the right direction for what this is?

bluefish
09-19-2011, 08:33 PM
Kat....acetate sheets are those thin, clear plastic sheets that cover signs, are used for protecting papers, photos, etc .....Staples type of stuff....I'm sure Walmart would have them or any stationary supply store.....but they are plastic, therefore watch the static charge.....see above on disapating static charge......

robertsloan2
09-19-2011, 09:59 PM
That's very cool. Thanks for the tip! Blick carries acetate sheets, I'm pretty sure other places do too. If you used a double mat you could always slide it between the two layers so that it's not touching the surface of the art.

I usually just cut my own mats, put the art in the window mat, put the back board on it and shrink wrapped it back in the day. That protected my bin art well when I was selling it in the French Quarter. This solution would be great for anyone who doesn't want to bother with a shrink wrap system.

Blick also has packaged sets of archival mat, back board and Clear Bag so if you work to standard sizes those can be very convenient. All you'd need to add is the acetate.

Colorix
09-20-2011, 05:45 AM
Good idea, thanks! I've used acetate, but it was outside the mat, and taped to a backing (worked well, but was labour intensive). This is a better idea!

Kathryn Wilson
09-20-2011, 10:44 AM
Thanks everyone - I've got a few smaller pieces I will try the acetate sheets on. I'll let you know how it works out!

Potoma
09-20-2011, 11:11 AM
I guess you could put a, for example, 5x7 piece into an acetate bag, then tape that to the mat or backing, then put the whole thing into a larger bag. That would prevent pastel giblets from migrating around and messing up the mat. The framer would just have to cut away the acetate and remount the painting. (What about a spacer layer? Would you add that, too? I've been using LaCarte paper as spacers b/c that's all it's good for and the tooth is actually helpful then. :) )

Thanks so much for this info. I have stored Pastelbords in acetate bags for so long. Just never thought of using them for more.

As for the acetate goes, whenever you buy a set of presentation kits, there are always so many more bags than mats. I have a stash already.

Deborah Secor
09-20-2011, 02:00 PM
<giggle> Forgive me, but we have so many folks from the UK here that when I read the title 'bin art' I immediately thought of the trash can!

I've used the acetate this way. I used Grafix Dura-Lar Clear (5 mil thick sheets) and cut it to fit over the painting and backing, and then taped it securely all the way around with framer's tape. Then I put the mat over the top and bagged the whole shebang.. It works.