PDA

View Full Version : Tips for using/ washing PastelMat

Barbara WC
09-19-2011, 02:54 AM
I'm running low on PastelMat- ordered from Dakota, but they are out of stock of one color, so will ship it all after they have it.

I am itching to do a self portrait in pastel, and would love to use my PastelMat (I have been reserving it for portrait sessions with a model), but if the self portrait turns out quite bad, I'd like to try to wash the paper and reuse it at portrait session,

Anyone have tips? Is there a brand of pastel that is easier to remove from PastelMat than other brands? I have Unison, Ludwigs and SEnnelier to choose from.

And if it comes time, do I just brush off as much as I can- then what, run it under water, a hose, a shower, etc?

I can do a decent watercolor self portrait, except for the hair- that seems to always ruin it for me. When I paint hair from a model in portrait sessions working in pastel, I usually get a pretty good likeness of features, skin tones and hair, so want to try a self portrait in pastel (which I've never done and so excited to start!).

Thanks.
Barbara

japonaise
09-19-2011, 03:28 AM
Barbara:

Per the mfg web page, the Pastelmat surface is made from celulose fiber which is the same material used for the surface of La Carte.

In my first reply, I stated that I thought that water would ruin Pastelmat just like La Carte. But, after posting, I reviewed additional websites which state that Pastelmat is water resistant.

Sorry for causing confusion. J

equinespirit
09-19-2011, 03:55 AM
David gave his a shower :D :D
http://www.wetcanvas.com/forums/showthread.php?t=948726
so I think it must be ok with pastelmat, you could always trial a small piece first maybe?

robertsloan2
09-19-2011, 03:55 AM
I'd suggest on the hair in any portrait to do it as shapes and masses of light and dark, with just a few strokes indicating the direction of the hair. The biggest problem many artists have with hair is overdetailing it. Also make those painterly loose strokes go in the direction of the hair, try to capture the shine of light on it and simplify its shapes.

Hope that helps! In the underpainting, maybe just do the entire hair area as a mid value mass or leave just the strongest highlight lighter. It's easier to go light over dark.

Barbara WC
09-19-2011, 07:14 PM
Thanks everyone.

I did my self-portrait this morning and will be "reclaiming" the Pastelmat. Sometimes I do a self-portrait and think "this kinda looks like me", sometimes I think "who is this person". Today's result was not very encouraging- I wondered "who is this guy". Last week at portrait session, we had a male model- he showed up in my self portrait today :lol:

I'll take photos of the process of the brushing/showering- maybe it will help someone.

Robert- thanks for the tips on hair. I'm usually not bad with hair, especially longer hair, but my hair is short and "salt and pepper"- I find this really challenging to translate in watercolor. I've done okay in pastel using other models before with "salt and pepper"- it is easier with pastel :)

Barbara

equinespirit
09-19-2011, 07:31 PM
Thanks everyone.

I did my self-portrait this morning and will be "reclaiming" the Pastelmat. Sometimes I do a self-portrait and think "this kinda looks like me", sometimes I think "who is this person". Today's result was not very encouraging- I wondered "who is this guy". Last week at portrait session, we had a male model- he showed up in my self portrait today :lol:

Barbara

Fabulous!!! :lol::lol::lol:

barriespapa
09-23-2011, 01:21 PM
Hi Barbara I put pastel mat in the shower and was still able to use it however it did buckle so if you do that you have to put heavy weight on it till it is dry when i did this the underpainting was still in tact. I have also just washed of pastel mat lightly using a wet brush and there is no buckling .
David.

Barbara WC
09-23-2011, 03:09 PM
Hi Barbara I put pastel mat in the shower and was still able to use it however it did buckle so if you do that you have to put heavy weight on it till it is dry when i did this the underpainting was still in tact. I have also just washed of pastel mat lightly using a wet brush and there is no buckling .
David.

Thanks David! I am going to do the "wash" this weekend- so appreciate the tips before starting!

Did the pastels stain your paper much, or were you able to get the pastel all the way off? I saw the painting you did in the Gallery, and wasn't sure how much pastel you put back on. Hope my question makes sense.

Hoping I'll have time this weekend to brush and wash :)

timonsloane
09-24-2011, 06:08 PM
I've wash off pastelmat with good success a number of times. As others have said - it is best to weight it down while it dries.

It definitely stays stained. Don't expect to wash it clean. The good news is that is gets back all its tooth. You can definitely cover over the stain, but if you are someone who would be horribly bothered or distracted by the under image this might not be for you.

It can help to try working with the under image upside down to make it less distracting. The under image can work to your advantage if you're loose and accepting about it.