PDA

View Full Version : Strechting and mounting watercolor paper

E.J.Kim
09-16-2011, 08:09 PM
Hi, guys. Sorry for asking too many questions recently. Ever since I have started painting acrylics on watercolor papers, I've been going through problems after problems. Gosh, I wish I could finish this project as soon as possible.

So, after I'd finished my acrylic painting on watercolor paper, I tried to mount the painting on foam core board with "Normal" glue and that's how I got into trouble.

PLEASE don't mount watercolor papers with NORMAL glue!

The paper got wavier and wrinklier, so I took my painting off from the foam core board. Thanks to a cheap glue, I could manage to do it easily.

After going through some information, I learned that I was supposed to use acrylic medium gel to glue the paper and I needed to dampen the back of the paper to stretch or flatten.

Right now, I'm waiting for the paper to dry and thinking about the next moves.

There are 2 ways I found from here.
One is wait until the paper gets dried totally.
The other one is iron the back of the paper before it gets totally dried.
I'm going to experiment latter one soon with samples I made.

However, I'm thinking why don't I just mount the painting on a foam core board before it gets totally dried? It may be easier to mount the paper when It's wet and flatten because the paper might get wrinkly when it's dried.

Has anyone tried that?
What will happen If I glue the watercolor paper before it gets totally dried? would it cause the problem on acrylic painting surface?
Thanks

idylbrush
09-16-2011, 08:43 PM
I almost always soak and mount paper wet. I also use a vacuum bag with glassine to help it stay flat. After an hour or so I remove it from the bag and allow to dry. I use a space bag if that is of any assistance.