PDA

View Full Version : Brush handles flaking

AndreZA
09-16-2011, 06:17 AM
My second one started.

I have not been painting long and last night the paint/coating on the handle on my second brush started flaking off. The first was a Daler-Rowney and the second a cheap Art-board on. It peels of in chunks right down to the wood starting where the metal part and the wood meets.

I do confess that I leave them in the water while painting but no where near as long as other people in my class. I just leave it in the water if I know I'm still gonna work with it, otherwise it gets wiped and put away. I only use water to rinse and clean.

Is it the water?

idylbrush
09-16-2011, 06:53 AM
You answered your own question. It is leaving it in the water. It can cause the paint to flake. It doesn't affect the way the brush operates unless the water has destroyed the material that holds the hairs/bristles in place. I have several brushes in this situation and they still work fine. Not to worry.

Stacey3352
09-16-2011, 08:08 AM
Only fill your water container deep enough that it just covers the bristles and don't leave them to soak if you are not using them but you already knew that.

Einion
09-16-2011, 09:14 AM
There are a couple of ways you can soak brushes continually without having to immerse the entire head - beyond the top of the ferrule - in the water. If you want to keep your brushes wet then one of them is worth adopting.

Like Howard I have had brushes where the lacquer has cracked and begun to flake off (including a couple of Daler-Rowneys BTW) and the brushes do still work fine. Obviously this is mostly a cosmetic thing but if the flakes start to get annoying, maybe getting into your paint mixtures, then I would advise sanding or scraping all of it off and refinishing the handle.

This is partly to make it more pleasant to hold - soaked wood will have raised grain, which makes it much rougher in the hand - but also for aesthetics :) I used shellac on mine because it's what I had at the time but a better water-resistant coating would be polyurethane varnish.

Einioon

plec
09-16-2011, 09:37 AM
i too have had this problem i paint over the bare wood with acrylic.
Ken.

OkeeKat
09-16-2011, 11:25 AM
Yup this has happened to me too if my water is too deep and left in there too long. Usualy I just keep the water low enough it doesnt go past the metal part. but I have left it in over nite once and the wood inside got wet an swellled and the covering cracked and then started to peel when I held it.. so peel it off and repaint it!!

old_hobbyist
09-16-2011, 11:29 AM
Buy brushes with plastic handles.

timelady
09-16-2011, 01:04 PM
Mine do this because I leave mine in water all the time too. I peel or chip it off and just keep working. It doesn't affect the actual use of the brush in any way.

Einion
09-16-2011, 03:29 PM
Buy brushes with plastic handles.
Yes, there is that. But not really an option in many cases.

I wish plastic handles were more common myself (especially for brushes dedicated to acrylics or watercolour) but as they aren't it's not really a solution.

Einion

AllisonR
09-16-2011, 04:17 PM
Personally, I love a well used brush. I think a brush with 5 thousand tiny bits of hardened paint on it, a cracking handle, a bit of gel medium.... has a lot more character than a brand new one. I've had brushes for 1 week, and brushes that are still good 25 years later. The 25 year old ones look like they have lived a good life though.

DonEc
09-16-2011, 05:37 PM
I made a brush holder so only the bristles stay in the water. It consist of a small round jar, 3 small dowels, some rubber bands and 3 wood close pins with springs. I use the rubber bands to hold the dowels to the side of the jar so they stick into the air on the outside of the jar. I stick the dowels through the hole in the spring on the close pins and then use the close pins to hold the brush. This allows me to adjust the brush so only the bristles are in the water.

FoxEnova
09-16-2011, 06:52 PM
Ditto, peeling brushes, water garage to deep. Wood swells and paint cracks.

BeeCeeEss
09-16-2011, 09:43 PM
My second one started.

I have not been painting long and last night the paint/coating on the handle on my second brush started flaking off. The first was a Daler-Rowney and the second a cheap Art-board on. It peels of in chunks right down to the wood starting where the metal part and the wood meets.

I do confess that I leave them in the water while painting but no where near as long as other people in my class. I just leave it in the water if I know I'm still gonna work with it, otherwise it gets wiped and put away. I only use water to rinse and clean.

Is it the water?

I used to have the same problem when I used to put my brushes in a container of water to keep them wet during a painting session. But I solved that with this:

http://www.wetcanvas.com/Community/images/16-Sep-2011/14428-BrushHolder01.JPG

It's a shallow tray that holds a wet sponge that I rest my brushes on when they are not in use. The handles rest on the opposite edge of the tray while the brush heads rest on the wet sponge and are kept moist (but not waterlogged) while not in use. You can make one of any size or width to hold more brushes. This is doubly helpful because the brushes lie at the perfect angle so that their hairs/bristles are not being bent out of shape. They never become so saturated that the glue inside the ferrule is softened or the wood handles start to swell and the paint chips off. I have not had one single brush suffer these problems since I changed to this set up.

Beverly

Wassie
09-17-2011, 02:22 AM
i too have had this problem i paint over the bare wood with acrylic.
Ken.

I do this, too.

IRDOC
09-18-2011, 12:31 PM
Pick your favorite color and paint the top of the ferrule and about 2 inches of the wooden handle with your acrylic paint ready at hand. Instant water proof.