PDA

View Full Version : Bradley Beach, N. J. 1959

Rhodabird
09-15-2011, 08:37 AM
692447 I have started a series of pictures from the late 50's and early 60's. A friend of mine sent me a wonderful dvd full of his photos from that period. I love old cars and the sign in this one touched me. This is by the ocean in NJ and therefore more money than usual for the time period.
Hope you like it. C&C please.

PS. I have just finished reading a book on Edward Hopper, whom I admire greatly. I tried some of his techniques in this picture.

yahya sryio
09-15-2011, 09:09 AM
nice atomsphere , I like car, sky . but something about sign..

lathadamle
09-16-2011, 04:06 AM
Very nicely done. :thumbsup:

khmgb
09-16-2011, 05:31 AM
This is a wonderful image ... I love motifs from the 50th
and 60th . I hope you show us more of it

chammi kaiser
09-16-2011, 05:31 AM
Well done. Lots of nice juicy colour in this one. Also like the sky.

Rhodabird
09-16-2011, 09:06 PM
Thanks for the comments. Yes, I intend to do more of these old pictures. I love old cars. And I do put in different cars than the old photos show. I usually go online and find one that I love and use it. Ihave yet to do a 55 chey impala convertible, red and white. That is my favorite. Quite a number of years ago we were going to buy one for $15,000. At the time we couldn't see our way clear. That car is now worth about $55,000. or more. Ah well, can't have it, but I can paint it. R

birdhs
09-16-2011, 09:23 PM
Nice painting, has a good 'feel' to it. I recognize the 59 Pontiac-a difficult car to paint.

C&C? Jeez, but I really like this. Well here goes: the car is much longer than this, you may have tried cheating due to the size of the canvas.., it is OK to let the car run out into the air. I might have placed the car closer to the "red carpet" - they seem to be at different angles.
The sidewalk disappears at a little too fast a rate IMHO whereas the red carpet doesn't.
It is OK to show a slightly different angle than the original if it will accomplish a goal. Is the car the focal point/the sign/the home? Going at this from a different angle or rearranging the elements of the composition will allow you to decide.

When I squint my eyes at this I like what I see in values. Maybe one more bush to the left of the sign might cut down on all that fence. I know when these homes were new there were not mature bushes - but Artists are the ultimate magicians - we can make objects appear and disappear whenever we want.

I hope you continue to post, I see a great deal of talent in your work. We also share a love of old cars. If you ever need a reference photo I have taken hundreds, you would be welcome to use as many as you like. My personal favorite of old cars changes daily, but a 1964 Rolls-Royce (think Elizabeth Taylor with her 'White Diamonds" ad campaign or a 1956 Desoto Fireflite convertible... sigh.....purple +white+black:music::music::music:

Thanx 4 posting, this pleaseth our eye, :wave: Greg