PDA

View Full Version : Carmen (x post portraiture)

MCARTERMLB
09-14-2011, 01:03 AM
I'm still trying to teach myself how to paint portraits and I've still got a lot to learn. This one isn't done yet and I know a few things are definitely off, like the hair for example. All c & c is welcomed and appreciated. Acrylic on canvas

http://www.wetcanvas.com/Community/images/13-Sep-2011/131792-carmen_2.jpghttp://www.wetcanvas.com/Community/images/13-Sep-2011/131792-carmen_3.jpg

noodle1
09-14-2011, 10:08 AM
Portraits are not the easiest thing in the world but I think you are well on your way, this is good. Couple of areas with regard to the placement of facial features but they are not that far off...you have a good eye. Just keep at it in no time you will be an accomplished portrait artist. The hair isn't bad at all, it's so dark you might want to take a bit of artistic license to define it a tad more but the movement of it is there..all in all good job!!

Elaine

OkeeKat
09-14-2011, 02:53 PM
Fabulous start on portraits, they definately aren't easy and your off to a great start, Yes the hair esp around her face could be defined a little to show movement and highlights.
keep up the great work!

Lady Carol
09-14-2011, 06:35 PM
Good start. Check the top lip. It seems to be a little too large.

ArtsyPatrice
09-15-2011, 11:02 AM
A very nice beginning! Portraits are especially challenging with the head is at a tilt. The nose may be slightly large - I have found when painting women, the less you emphasize the nose the better... So far this work is looking good! :)

MCARTERMLB
09-19-2011, 03:23 AM
Thanks everyone. Here's a litlle update. Still not done yet, but it's getting there. Sorry, I took the picture with my phone.
http://www.wetcanvas.com/Community/images/19-Sep-2011/131792-carmen_2.7.jpg

purplepansey
09-19-2011, 08:03 AM
It looks really nice so far and think you've done a pretty good likenes. Portraits are hard to do and never was much good at doing them as I can't get: eyes, nose, mouth right.

Ms Nan
09-19-2011, 05:31 PM
Very very nice job. You captured the "look" in her eyes beautifully.

Margaret 59
09-19-2011, 08:28 PM
I think this is coming along just great!

roy-p
09-19-2011, 10:04 PM
You have quite a nice resemblance here. The picture isn't helping you, the light being flat-ish, but you seem to have overcome that handicap with a lively expression. :thumbsup:

MCARTERMLB
09-20-2011, 01:42 PM
Thanks everyone and I will keep working on the suggestions.

max nelson
09-21-2011, 01:53 AM
Hi. First time visiting this forum and saw this ip. As you know, placement of features can be 'off' just a tad and it will make a monumental change of the look. My suggestion would be to print out the two side by side images at the beginning of the thread. Then draw reference lines down the center of the face and compare widths of the photo with your work. i.e. how much of the nose is left of the center line, how much to the right. Same for the mouth and eyes. Also draw horizontal lines along the bottom of the nose, through the center of the mouth and through the center of the eyes. Check the slant.

The image would have been a better fit if it were placed upright on the long portion of the canvas...and eliminate the detailed bricks. They wll not add anything and will be a distraction even if they are done with utmost percision.

Without knowing how you started the portrait, my massing or by line it's difficult to give much further advice on the drawing.

For a pallet one suggestion would be to make some color pools of paint and select them for the areas that need them. For instance: if 'drawing' the figure use some raw umber plus a little burnt umber and turps to make a loose sketch.

Then with a big brush cover the hair with a solid tone of burnt umber, ivory black and aliz crimson. (I'll abreviate to save some typing: bu, ru, blk etc)
Background could be loosely painted with ac, cobalt blue, raw sienna and white to the value you need.

Shadow side of face use some ru, rs, a little ven red or indian red plus wt.
Make yourself a puddle of this with different values around the edges.

Add a little a/c to this and more white for the lighter side of the face.

Eyes black and b/u (note: for the light reflection of the eye make it tiny, and be careful of the placement. Mix some flesh tone and white for this)

Continue around the features with darker and lighter areas as you see them, some shadow areas will be cooler and a bit of blue or blue green of the correct value painted into the wet base color.

Hopes this is helpful. I know how I have struggled with some of the same issues and re-inventing the wheel isn't necessary.
Max