PDA

View Full Version : Her mother's locket (after Daniel Gerhartz)

mroy27
09-12-2011, 10:11 AM
I went through 'Her mother's locket' DVD by Daniel Gerhartz. I thought that the best way for me to learn was to just paint alongside him. There were lot of things that didn't turn out the way Gerhartz did but then I need to be humble and remember Gerhartz is the master and I haven't done a single painting from life yet! Anyways, I entered this painting in a contest, in the students category, providing full disclaimer that this is not an original but the judge decided to take it out of the 'Students category' and awarded it the 'Judges Choice' award. I can only say that I am grateful.

By the way, it is 30 X 40 inches made with very cheap Soho oil.

http://www.wetcanvas.com/Community/images/12-Sep-2011/33409-100_0089.JPG

highwaykind
09-13-2011, 04:10 AM
Congratulations! Very nicely done!
(Is this the same model as the Homework DVD or am I mixing up my masters?? If so, even more kudos to you for following along - I remember that DVD started with a whole bunch of differently colored small dabs of paint that in the end somehow turned into beautiful skintones.)

mroy27
09-13-2011, 08:50 AM
Thanks highwaykind. Homework is by Morgan Weistling but there is a certain similarity in their approach to work. Whether be it Dan Gerhartz or Morgan Weistling, they spend more time looking at the model and mixing a different color for every inch of the skin they are painting than they do painting.

Freesail
09-21-2011, 05:46 PM
Very nicely done and for some things the Soho Urban oils are just the right thing.

drdarrow
12-02-2011, 02:46 PM
To all novices, students and non-professional artists:

It is a common, acceptable practice to copy the work of another artist to learn about painting. It is very helpful. No one frowns on this. It is another legitimate way to learn painting.

However, when you submit that work to a gallery, a contest, a judged event, or put it up for sale, you are entering a gray area, or even violating copyright.

Ethically, it is common practice to sign the work in a way that acknowledges another artists did the original that you have copied, for example if I painted a copy of a Norman Rockwell, I should sign it on the painting:

David R. Darrow
After Norman Rockwell

I should also name my painting the same name as the original, not change it.

This is very important, as it lets the judges, potential collectors, and gallery owners know that you have copied the work of another artist who did all the heavy lifting: gathering and paying for a model, deciding the pose and composition, etc., not to mention their training they paid for.

It doesn't matter if you get $25 for a copy of a painting they get $37,000 for; it's about full integrity and being forthright.

You've done a great painting here. Just be sure the judges know it was not entirely your creation, so that when they know that and still award you a ribbon, you can enjoy the award fully.

mroy27
12-03-2011, 12:53 PM
As I already said, I provided full information to the judges as to how I did this painting and it was put in a basic students category which is the category for all who are learning from copying works of other artists and I have signed it as 'Manju after Gerhartz'. Frankly I don't even copy works of artists who are living except Gerhartz and that's because his ideas and philosophies are true and simple and he encourages artists to learn from other artist's work and pays more importance to staying true to himself than worrying about what others have to say. There was no shortage of 'original' works in this competition in the 'professional' category including a work of my own which happened to win the second place award but the fact that the judge chose 'Her mother's locket' as the 'judge's choice' actually reinforces what Gerhartz was trying to teach in his video that it is incredibly important to learn how artists like Sargent and Sorolla and Fechin (and in my opinion Gerhartz himself) handle their paintings and the only way to do that is to first copy their work and apply what you learnt in your own work...there is no point in reinventing the wheel in any other facets of life and that is true in case of fine arts too.

drdarrow
12-03-2011, 01:01 PM
Just so you know, other than the last line of my previous post, it was not directed at you, and in fact, I attempted to give you the benefit of the doubt.

I am simply using this incidence of a good painting to bring to light, for others, the importance of disclosure, as you have done.

I agree with everything you said about the benefits and legitimacy of copying the work of masters.

#5E610B
12-03-2011, 01:17 PM
Very beautifully rendered...congratulations!

mroy27
12-03-2011, 01:25 PM
On a lighter note...if your copied art work is causing controversy then you must be doing something right and it is time to stop copying and start creating some serious works of your own...