PDA

View Full Version : Does size matter?

rd2ruin
03-14-2003, 10:52 AM
I mean, in pastelling.

Most of my recent doodles have been 9"x12" (22.86 x 30.48 cm for our metric friends) and I'm thinking of creeping up to a larger format... I dunno, 16x24 is the next standard size sheet, I think.

Anything I need to consider (other than I'll be using more pastel)? Should I learn to draw more in the larger format before trying pastel, or is that just adding an unnecessary step? Should I spend more time mastering one size before moving to another? Questions, questions, questions...

What are the advantages and disadvantages of stepping up in size?

Or is it, as they (... and you know who you are) say, "It's not the size, it's how you use it."

Any insight and experiences are appreciated.

Cheers!
- Greg

E-J
03-14-2003, 11:02 AM
hello Greg ~ I've been pondering this question myself lately. So far my pastelling has been limited to small-scale sketches and I would very much like to 'go large'. I get the impression that a major consideration would be giving yourself more space to stand back and take in the whole image as you're working on it ~ and as I work in a very cramped room, sitting on the floor in front of a small box easel, I can't see myself working like that yet. Hopefully someone will have some good insights for us.

Redsy333
03-14-2003, 11:16 AM
Of course the BIGGER the Better...lol just kidding! :D
Actually the bigger a picture is, means that the cost will be more in every aspect.
More pastels, more time= More Money to frame!
Which means More money to ask for if selling.

Now having said all that, LOL, I let the picture tell me what size it needs to be! By that I mean , I approach my work as if I was viewing it already done. Its really a matter of what you as an artist feels comfortable with!:D
I guess Im not a very technical person, more of the "Fly by the seat of my pants or broomstick!:D " kinda gal! :D

soap
03-14-2003, 12:30 PM
I'm with Redsy here - the subject tells me the size. Except for portraits - than standard sizes are often wished for by clients. I do think about what potential customers would like. Not too big is often the case. But some landscapes just ask for a large approach.

I don't think there is a lot of difference in small or big. Just try it!

Soap

jackiesimmonds
03-14-2003, 01:09 PM
Don't agonise over it -- just do it. You will soon discover if it feels good or bad. It is never good to get locked into anything where painting is concerned - style, size, medium - experimentation is the key to unlocking one's creativity. If you always work big, why not try small for a change. If you always work small, you will soon discover how different it feels to work large. Don't just try once - try a few times, to see if you can master the differences once you've got past feeling strange.

Sticking to what feels comfortable is a recipe for copying oneself. Not good.

Jackie

jmfletch
03-14-2003, 08:16 PM
I am very much a novice, but I say Go for it!!!

I have done about 15-20 pastels since starting last August and with a single exception they are all at least 11x14. I am envious of those who can work on 9x12 and even post cards and get such incredible detail. I need to work big to get any kind of detail.

The one exception was a 9X12 of a Sunflower..and I ended up painting my way off the paper onto the newsprint I had taped it to! :D :D :D

Go BIG!!
Joe

Mo.
03-14-2003, 08:51 PM
Greg, personally I don't like small format...but what has been said before, the subject will decide the size in general, I do admire people who can paint small like Sundiver for instance, I have painted small but prefer A3 size or or bigger, having said that I have many sketch pads, the smallest which is always tucked into my handbag or coat pocket together with a propelling pencil and biro, is no bigger than a little note book :D

Cheers,
Mo.

Drumbeat-trish
03-14-2003, 09:51 PM
or is it the size of the scanner that count?????? ;) ;) kidding. I want to work bigger for a change -yeah of course big is good :) but can't think of a damn thing to do today!!!!!!!
I don't know but not being very good with this whole thing might be easier to get more detail with a bigger size????? *listens to the experts* :)

Mikki Petersen
03-16-2003, 03:34 AM
It is never good to get locked into anything where painting is concerned - style, size, medium - experimentation is the key to unlocking one's creativity. If you always work big, why not try small for a change. If you always work small, you will soon discover how different it feels to work large. Don't just try once - try a few times, to see if you can master the differences once you've got past feeling strange.

Jackie has said it perfectly! Experimentation is a key to keeping your work fresh and your interest alive. I am involved in the current postcard project which requires me to do 30 small works of art in any medium but they must be postcard size. Since I always work large, it took some real adjustment to thinking smaller, but it also seemed to give me great freedom to try all kinds of new approaches, mediums and subjects. Somehow a larger support seems like a serious commitment to me, where these tiny studies are more for play. It has been great fun and I'm learning lots. Sooooo...if you've got the urge go for it!