PDA

View Full Version : Creating masks and also Curved borders

dmc68
09-10-2011, 04:33 PM
Hello Everyone,

I am looking for ways to create a mask to of course mask off a certain area, I know there is a fluid out there for sale, but i was wondering if there was any other way to do this.

I also am trying to figure out how everyone makes circular borders, so they can run wavy lines through there paintings, as it is hard do with straight tape, and curvy tape in my area can only be ordered online.

Thank you,

Dave Carpenter

FoxEnova
09-11-2011, 12:12 AM
Try some 1/8" or 1/4" pin striping tape. It has a little stretch and curves nicely.
You can get it at a automotive paint store.
Eric

idylbrush
09-11-2011, 04:54 AM
Have you considered frisket? It comes in sheets, rolls and can be cut to desired shape. I would also consider a clear acrylic seal around the edge, especially if used on a coarse canvas.

Einion
09-12-2011, 05:03 PM
If you're painting fairly thinly, masking fluids are one of the best bets Dave. They have a few notable pluses, including that they work with texture fairly well (applied masking tends to miss low spots, leading to small leaks of colour under the edge of the tape or frisket), they're easy to apply to form any shape and easy to adjust (depends a bit on the surface they're used on), plus they're relatively cheap overall.

I also am trying to figure out how everyone makes circular borders, so they can run wavy lines through there paintings, as it is hard do with straight tape, and curvy tape in my area can only be ordered online.
Do you know the trick of making relief cuts in the tape? This makes it easier to shape normal tape into tighter curves. It's not perfect but if you can't get any of the purpose-made tapes it's worth experimenting with.

I should mention that many times masking wouldn't be used for this kind of thing - just painting carefully up to the marked line. Lots of hard-edged painting isn't quite so neat and tidy when seen up close!

Einion

Stacey3352
09-13-2011, 07:40 AM
If you want sharp lines either straight or curved, go over the edges with a gel medium and let dry before you paint. I believe that there is a painters tape out there now for doing curved lines. Another option is to tape some lines together on a waxed paper. Use an exacto knife to cut the curved line, then remove from wax back and apply.

dmc68
09-14-2011, 04:53 AM
I really appreciate everyone who replied. I have some great ideas to experiment with, and I am looking forward to it. Thank you again.

Dave

OkeeKat
09-15-2011, 06:35 PM
Found this today, JoAnn Fabric store. I remember someone talking about it. and thought I'd post it for you.
3M is found in alot of stores or of course online.
After reading the post I thought of other alternatives,
like an architect/engineers drafting templets, they have numerous types of hard plastic curves. I know my husband had a bunch of them in his drafting stuff, would at least give you curved lines.. painting them is another story!
Good luck

Figured this would help me get my Violin strings straight.
http://www.wetcanvas.com/Community/images/15-Sep-2011/137439-ArtTapeCurvesAD.jpg