PDA

View Full Version : I have a question!

Iaartist
09-08-2011, 10:52 AM
I recently finished a portrait with a dog and too cats in it. I have trying to get get a good photo of it cause they want a print of it also. When I take the photo the front cat aways looks blury. My camera don't focus on all of it. I don't have a nice camera its a canon sur shot or something like that. I wonder if anyone would know of a setting I could change to fix this. I am using the portrait setting, with no flash.

anniecanjump
09-08-2011, 02:57 PM
Do you have a scanner??

Marty Shay
09-08-2011, 04:02 PM
How large is your painting? If it's not too large, you can get it scanned at Kinko's or somewhere like that. Scanning will give you the best image especially if you are making prints from it.
J

Iaartist
09-08-2011, 05:47 PM
Way to big for scanner. 16x20

hunterpaul
09-08-2011, 06:00 PM
get a pro to do it.... I have mine done here ... 35.... an hr to have the scan done.... she can do three or so in that hr... I then have the CD, so I can take it to any printers... she does my prints also and they are giclee, and spot on... they are so cheap its criminal, Jagartz, if anyone is interested in the uk.... but have a scan about and ask some prices, you may be surprised...

Iaartist
09-08-2011, 07:49 PM
The only person I know that can scan it charges a lot for scan and set up fee. I just need one print. She does giclee also and its not bad after the set up to purchase those. I don't have a job right now, can't even pay the house payment let alone pay that much money.

aRt4us
09-09-2011, 03:56 AM
Hi Linda, On my digy camera I use a multy zone setting in the menu.
I also have sharpness set to high. I place my canvas on the floor in good day light, like a bright cloudy day. The I take several shoots from by standing by each edge of the canvas. I normally hit one good image out of the several I take, if not I try again.
Works for me.
Photo fun
Gary

midcoast
09-09-2011, 08:54 AM
OK, scanning would be my first choice too...that way you could sell multiple prints of it, not just one, and make some extra $$ for yourself.

Barring that, here are some tips:

-make sure you're using a tripod for your camera. This is VERY important for getting a good, sharp photo. If you don't have a tripod, borrow one or somehow brace yourself on the back of a chair, a countertop, etc., when you take the pic.

-it sounds like your camera and painting are not perfectly squared off in relation to eachother. What I mean by this is that your painting should be dead-on vertical, and your camera should be perfectly parallel to it when you take the shot. If your camera is even a little bit askew, it will not be able to focus evenly across the surface of the painting. You will want the painting to be PERFECTLY square/rectangular in your camera's viewfinder (top/bottom of the painting perfectly parallel to the top/bottom of the viewfinder; sides of the painting perfectly parallel to the sides of the viewfinder). Adjust the placement of your camera until it's squared up to the painting. If it's not (ie, looks more like a trapezoid in the viewfinder) your focus will be off and the painting will look distorted in the print.

Good luck!!

Nancy

Iaartist
09-09-2011, 10:37 AM
I had a thought. I have a freind who is a photographer, well he is retired. I wonder if I could get him to take photo's. He is a very nice man and I think he would do it. He has all the stuff, tripod and ect. I think I will try and contact him. Then I will have a disk too. I don't have a tripod. I need to get one! Someday I want to get a nice camera too.

Iaartist
09-09-2011, 10:38 AM
OH and thanks for all your imput on my problem! I appreciate the help.

midcoast
09-09-2011, 10:51 AM
I had a thought. I have a freind who is a photographer, well he is retired. I wonder if I could get him to take photo's. He is a very nice man and I think he would do it. He has all the stuff, tripod and ect. I think I will try and contact him. Then I will have a disk too. I don't have a tripod. I need to get one! Someday I want to get a nice camera too.

Super idea :) Good luck and let us know how it turns out...

Nancy

Phranque
09-09-2011, 12:43 PM
You COULD charge an extra $800 or so for the right to have a print made and get yourself a good camera.

Iaartist
09-11-2011, 09:41 PM
Frank that sounds great but pretty sure thats not going to happen.