PDA

View Full Version : 'Vision' - appeared out of nowhere (w.i.p added)

roy-p
09-07-2011, 05:33 PM
This evening, around 6 o'clock, the image 'appeared' out of nowhere and I just had to paint it! Thanks so much for looking :wave:

21" x 15", acrylic on canvas paper. Please click here (http://www.deviantart.com/download/257281618/vision_by_roy_p-d496frm.jpg) for a slightly larger version. I might add a few w.i.p shots later on.

http://www.wetcanvas.com/Community/images/07-Sep-2011/148165-sight-800-sep11.jpg

roy-p
09-08-2011, 08:09 AM
Ah well... I guess I'll post the w.i.p's anyway. Please note the http://www.wetcanvas.com/forums/images/icons/icon15.gif icon. I had started this drawing with the figure in the nude, but then changed it as the image changed in the mind.

1. Conte drawing - I consulted some refs for the female fig, then arranged the light, limbs, hair etc to suit my design.
http://www.wetcanvas.com/Community/images/08-Sep-2011/148165-vision-drawing1-sep11.jpg

2. The first or block in stage - this consolidated the image in the mind, bringing it from the nebulous to the physical.
http://www.wetcanvas.com/Community/images/08-Sep-2011/148165-vision-wip2-sep11.jpg

3. Some work has been done on the sky with a ultramarine-white mix near the horizon, the back of the female has been sculpted out (at this stage I'd already decided to add the clothing), and I was trying out the aqua-tinted light I had in mind around the feet of the 'vision' (some prussian blue with yellow ocher plus white).
http://www.wetcanvas.com/Community/images/08-Sep-2011/148165-vision-wip3-sep11.jpg

Hope you liked it.. as always thanks for taking a look :)

Nonno
09-08-2011, 10:22 PM
Hi Prosenjit,

A really interesting painting.
I think it works better with the girl nude, but you know I'm biased!

Jonathan.

OkeeKat
09-09-2011, 12:45 AM
Fabulously done, I love it.. both figures well done, Love the idea!!:thumbsup:
Interesting WIP, always fun to see the development of any painting!
I like your changes(womens clothing)!
question.. is the headband on her supposed to be a blindfold? it appears to be over her eyes, but then again how would she see the vision.. curious!
ok mental vision.. duh!!

Lulu
09-09-2011, 03:53 AM
wow, certainly makes you think and wonder. Love the limited palette. Great stuff!

purplepansey
09-09-2011, 08:39 AM
It's very interesting but maybe if the angel were a tad smaller and further away as its size seems to be competing with the nude girl. BTW, love the painterly look of he girl. Nice colors in the painting, love that blue.

chammi kaiser
09-09-2011, 09:29 AM
This is very dramatic and interesting. I like the girl in the clothing.You can still see her form beautifully. There are some really good brush strokes there. I feel the angel/vision has too large a gap between the legs at the top - makes it look a little bandy!

roy-p
09-09-2011, 01:31 PM
That's very reassuring, @ the responses :) I was beginning to think if I had offended anyone by this post. Thanks so much for commenting and looking in - you guys are so kind!

Haha Jonathan @ 'biased'. 'Figure people' like us are more prone think of people in their 'natural' attire. But I thought nakedness will disproportionately pull attention towards her in this case.

Kathie, thanks so much for your insightful comment - yeah, you're right about the blindfold. I was trying to emphasize her cheekbones. This one being intended as a preliminary, will give me a chance to think things over for a canvas version. There are many things to modify, like the over-all light scheme - I intend to make the near light (shining on her back) dimmer and cooler.

Lulu - so wonderfully kind and observant of you to comment on the limited palette. It really is just two blues (prussian and ultramarine), one gray (payne's) and two browns (burnt sienna and a little burnt umber in the clothing mix). There is a mere touch of yellow ocher in the aqua tinted light around/within the 'vision'.

Luv - that's a wonderful observation @ relative sizes. I wanted to make the 'vision' and the girl more or less equal in size, with the wingspan and the strange illumination being the dominant features of the image. Here's a perspective analysis of their relative sizes...
http://www.wetcanvas.com/Community/images/09-Sep-2011/148165-vision_persp.jpg
I drew the girls legs in green, which are under water in the picture. Since the girl is treading water, and the 'vision' is hovering just above it, their heights are at different levels. But we can project both figures from a common vanishing point on the horizon, and then project the vision's height further (indicated by the yellow vertical A), bringing it on the same plane as the girl, so that it can be compared with the girl's height (indicated by red vertical B). For easier comparison, I've further added a copy of 'A', placing it next to the girl at the same level as B. As we can see, their heights are more or less equal which is what I was aiming for. I intend to further work towards making the 'vision' more visually important than the girl, although not by too much - they are part of one 'psychic unit' as far as I can imagine :) Thanks a tonne for your comment!

Chammi, always a great delight to 'hear' from you :) Thank you so much!

reikiart
09-09-2011, 01:31 PM
I really like your style. I have seen "images" before or had dreams, and tried to paint what I saw, but didn't do too well. You've done a nice job. Reminds me of a statement Pablo Picasso made, that he "put on canvas the sudden apparitions which come to me."

DonEc
09-09-2011, 06:21 PM
That is a very powerful painting and vision. I think the girl being dressed as she is gives her much more interest making the eye bounce back and forth between the angle and her. I've heard that as far as visions go the water may be the most important part. I also love the kind of roughness the brush strokes give to the smoothness of her form. Great job thanks for sharing.

luicre
09-09-2011, 08:33 PM
Great work as always, Prosenjit!!!

I loved seeing the WIP.

Saludos

Luicre

lovin art
09-10-2011, 08:53 AM
Very provocative and soul stirring Image Sen, to me it's like releasing ones soul/thoughts , setting it free if you like .. The freedom to do this kind of art is quite powerful and rather artisticly special!! ; - )

Charlie's Mum
09-10-2011, 09:32 AM
How very interesting - would love to be in your mind - I think!!!;) - to see this vision now, as it will eventually be for us:D
Really good to see your workings - such solid drawing too - so thanks for sharing your thoughts too:)

Even on this practice piece your brushstrokes are to be envied!

I like the figure both clothed and nude - so I guess you'll have to decide how she sees herself as well as, and in relation to, her vision :D ........ is this her first and future all-time love?
*sigh* - to be young again :D

roy-p
09-10-2011, 01:57 PM
Thanks, Reikiart! I think that quote you made is very apt, many recognizable images in history probably have an origin in 'visions'. The work for the artist is to hold on to that original, as he slowly builds the same on his canvas. Which is why, to make a relatively quick-ish, first-impression sketch such as the one above is so important.

@ Don - "I think the girl being dressed as she is gives her much more interest making the eye bounce back and forth between the angle and her"; Yes, very kind and insightful of you to make that observation. I didn't want the girl to be a secondary element. I wanted her to be a part of the observed whole - without having to scatter viewer-gaze all over the screen. Thanks!

Luicre - your comments are always so inspiring :) Thank you!

@ Sandra - "to me it's like releasing ones soul/thoughts , setting it free if you like" ; Kind fellow-Figurer :) your comment is so true... in a way, we are always communicating through art, even when there is no verbal interaction. And as we communicate, we set free little bits of us. I can't thank you enough!

Maureen... oh, this is wonderful, and so very encouraging. Thank you soo much! You wouldn't want to be inside my mind, LOL! you'd probably pop out my ear in the very next instant and run away screaming for dear life :D As regards 'seeing oneself' - I think we like to see ourselves clothed in our self-image, rather than be confronted by the stark vision of truth. What truth is, we have little inkling... but like all imaginary things that constitute fear, we are afraid of it. @ "is this her first and future all-time love?" - I... have... no... idea :)

lovin art
09-10-2011, 05:17 PM
You wouldn't want to be inside my mind,

Arh PROsenjit Roy , I always thought there was more to you:D .... I want to know everything in that Masters Mind .... how cool you totally are, what can I say, I LOVE YOU sIR!!!!:heart: :D

Yellow Ogre
09-10-2011, 07:31 PM
I liked this painting. Visually stimulating and of course, the search for the deeper meaning.

Things I would have done different: more definition to the apparition. Model undraped and sans blindfold. My preference, but I am reading perhaps a different story line. The scapulas looked a bit blocky.

A good work.

roy-p
09-14-2011, 07:47 AM
Ugh, sorry for returning late to this thread... I feel bad having to resurrect it. But these lovely comments must be responded to:

@ Yellow Ogre - How very kind of you to leave your well-considered reply. Thank you!

@ Sandra - hardly a master... but hey, thank you so much (and also for the return view) :) you're too generous!