PDA

View Full Version : Acrylic palette similar to my oils

tobzart
09-07-2011, 04:47 AM
Helloo

I want to try out acrylics and was thinking of buying the same palette as i use in my oils.
Golden paints seems to be rated a bit higher than W&N. For the W&N palette i can find all of the colors that i use in my oils. For the Golden ones i have compared the pigments. So i would suppose they are pretty much the same.

Should i go with Golden or W&N. And does the two palettes look good? Maybe choosing the same pigments as my oils is not enough, something else i have to think about?
I would think cadmium red medium should be the closest to cadmium red in oils?
Golden quinacridone violet would be closest to alizarin crimson?
I took phthalo green blue shade instead of viridian, as i believe its not a pigment thats sold in acrylics.

Golden Heavy Body
Cadmium Yellow Light (PY35)
Cadmium Yellow Dark (PY35)
Yellow Ochre (PY43)
Cadmium Red Light/Medium/Dark (PR 108)
Quinacridone Violet (PV19) - Quinacridone Crimson (PR206, PR202) - Quinacridone Red (PV19)
Transparent Red Iron Oxide (PR101) - Burnt Sienna (PBr7)
Phthalo Green BS (PG7)
Cobalt Blue (PB28)
Ultramarine Blue (PB29)

W&N
Cadmium Lemon (PY35) AO
Cadmium Yellow Deep (PY35, PO20) AO
Yellow Ochre (PY43) AAST
Cadmium Red Light/Medium/Deep? (PR108) AO
Perm. Alizarin Crimson (PR177, PV23) AT
Burnt Sienna (PR101) AAT
Phthalo Green BS (PG7) AT
Cobalt Blue (PB28) AASO
Ultramarine Blue (PB29) AT

My oil palette
WN-Cadmium Lemon (PY35)
WN-Cadmium Yellow Pale (PY35)
R-Cadmium Yellow Deep (PY35, PO20)
WN-Yellow Ochre Pale (PY42)
WN-Cadmium Red (PR108)
Gamblin-Alizarin Perm. (PV19. PR149. PB29)
WN-Terra Rosa (PR101)
R-Transparent Oxide Red (PR101)
R-Viridian (PG18)
R-Cobalt Blue Light (PB28)
R-Ultramarine Deep (PB29)

Aelfwynn
09-07-2011, 08:43 AM
Golden has an Alizarin Crimson Hue, you just have to look in their historical colors: http://www.goldenpaints.com//products/color/infopg.php?K=0001450

They have a Viridian Green Hue, too, in that same line. They gave me a sample of that one in liquids when I was there this summer, I'm in love with it.

That's not to say that you've picked bad colors for your lists there... just that they do have those colors (or an approximation).
--Mercy

idylbrush
09-07-2011, 09:12 AM
The palette you choose is going to be personal and individual. Looks like a good jumping point to me. You may want to add or subtract as you start working with it. It certainly is not set in stone.

Magical_Realist
09-07-2011, 01:01 PM
Should i go with Golden or W&N.
There's no reason you can't mix brands; they're all compatible with each other. If a color you want is available in one brand, but not in another, go ahead and buy it. I prefer Golden, as W&N's paints are a bit too stiff for my working methods. Liquitex tends to have a very soft consistency that many people like, and I use them, too.

I would think cadmium red medium should be the closest to cadmium red in oils? It should be. I also use cadmium red light, on occasion.

Golden quinacridone violet would be closest to alizarin crimson?I think quinacridone crimson is closer.

tobzart
09-18-2011, 01:17 PM
Thanks for the help!

I know its not set in stone. But im not made of money therefore i wanted a good starting point that i wouldnt feel the need to change in the near future.
I ordered the Golden paints. Still waiting for them.

I got quinacridone crimson, thanks Magical Realist!

Einion
09-19-2011, 09:42 AM
Hi, welcome to the forum.

Should i go with Golden or W&N.
As far as Golden v. Winsor & Newton, they're rated higher by some people, but that opinion would be reversed with others (it certainly was with me a few years ago, prior to the last revision of their artists' acrylics by W&N).

I would actually recommend you try a range of brands for yourself, see if you find a personal favourite since there's so much personal taste involved in good/better/best determinations.

But in terms of a single brand, I often recommend Tri-Art although unfortunately they're not as easy to get as the big three - Liquitex, Golden and W&N - which is a shame as in a couple of respects I think they're better.

For the W&N palette i can find all of the colors that i use in my oils. For the Golden ones i have compared the pigments. So i would suppose they are pretty much the same.
Maybe choosing the same pigments as my oils is not enough, something else i have to think about?
I would think cadmium red medium should be the closest to cadmium red in oils?
Within certain limits the same pigments are the thing to go for, but there can be quite a range of colour (and colouring ability) from one paint to the next even though they're made from 'the same' pigment.

It's a great idea to check the swatches on the Dick Blick website if you want to find the closest direct matches to what you're used to in oils.

Golden quinacridone violet would be closest to alizarin crimson?
No, not really.

I took phthalo green blue shade instead of viridian, as i believe its not a pigment thats sold in acrylics.
Generally, no. Phthalo Green BS provides much wider mixing range than Viridian anyway, so I do generally recommend it, but of course it takes a lot more care in mixing!

And does the two palettes look good?
Palette choice is so individual (see this (http://www.wetcanvas.com/forums/showthread.php?t=948200) recent thread in Oil Painting for example) that really you should probably go with what you like.

For example I would pick a wholly different palette to the one you've outlined. I don't use a crimson paint, having moved away from a colour in this rough position over 20 years ago, so I would recommend a rose or magenta paint even when there is a good lightfast alternative to Ali Crimson available. I don't use Cobalt Blue and often recommend it be omitted from palettes, especially if paired with a French Ultramarine, and I wouldn't pair an orange-yellow with a mid-yellow paint for a similar reason (too close together IMO)... so I would go with what you like :)

Einion