PDA

View Full Version : Mixing gesso with medium

Kate123
09-04-2011, 03:12 PM
Hi! I've recently started to use acrylics, and am trying to learn about the various mediums. (Watercolor was much simpler that way!)

Anyway, through a series of mishaps, I just primed a canvas board with a combination of matte medium, paint, and gesso. (Just a thin, flat layer, no texture.)

Will this combination be a solid base for the painting? Or will it eventually crack?

Thanks much!

Kate

ribeyedsmile
09-04-2011, 05:58 PM
Golden is a sponsor listed in Wet Canvas so you can tell them what u mixed as a primer and get an answer as it pertains to golden paints.

As for my opinion.

There is nothing wrong with what you did so long as it was just acrylic materials. If the canvas board was made by a reputable brand such as Frederix, you should be ok.

oil paint would be more fussy and tricky with lean over fat ideas but acrylics are very easy to use as far as mixing diferent combinations of mediums and paints.

Also, if you are trying to get some special effect, there may be some rules but..... generaly

You are fine :D

Kate123
09-05-2011, 10:04 AM
Yes, all materials were acrylic, and the board was Fredrix. Thanks for your quick reply!

I have a follow-up question: I had been using gloss medium with my paints (not with gesso!). This was the first time I opened the matte medium. The consistency coming out of the bottle was much thicker than the gloss, and I really had to force it out of the bottle. Is this normal? Or was this bottle somewhat dried out?

Thanks again!

ribeyedsmile
09-05-2011, 12:37 PM
well, I think you are using "liquitex" brand. On the label should be a chart showing things like consistency. I would expect it to flow like your Gloss.

If not and you recently purchased it, Bring It Back To Retailer. Return It.

and if possible, look for alternative retailers.

Einion
09-05-2011, 02:42 PM
Hi Kate, welcome to the forum.

Anyway, through a series of mishaps, I just primed a canvas board with a combination of matte medium, paint, and gesso. (Just a thin, flat layer, no texture.)

Will this combination be a solid base for the painting? Or will it eventually crack?

Should be fine - if you think about it, it's not much different from a coat of paint you might have applied to the board anyway.

As far as cracking goes, it's probably less likely to than acrylic 'gesso' by itself, but generally speaking with acrylics this isn't anything to be concerned about since it's inherently a flexible medium.

I have a follow-up question: I had been using gloss medium with my paints (not with gesso!). This was the first time I opened the matte medium. The consistency coming out of the bottle was much thicker than the gloss, and I really had to force it out of the bottle. Is this normal? Or was this bottle somewhat dried out?
Some matt mediums are a little thicker than their gloss counterparts because of the matting agent, but it does sound like yours is a little thicker than typical. If it's thick enough that you consider it a problem then by all means seek a replacement, otherwise just loosen it up with a touch of water and use away.

Einion

Kate123
09-05-2011, 03:29 PM
Thank you, all.

Although it's not Liquitex, there are charts on the bottles - I never even noticed them! According to the charts, the gloss and matte should have the same, almost liquid consistency. I think I'll contact the store that sold it. It took a lot of mixing with the paint, as it clumped pretty badly at first.

Again, thanks!

Charlie's Mum
09-05-2011, 03:56 PM
Mmmm - I had some W&N matt medium that did this - horrid to try to thin and use so I discarded it!

sugarbritches085
09-05-2011, 04:25 PM
Interesting things to know. Glad I saw this, since I would have no idea what the textures should really feel like.

Kate123
09-06-2011, 07:16 AM
This was W&N. I think I'll contact them; they've been very helpful in the past. I'll let you know if I learn anything.

Kate123
09-22-2011, 12:32 PM
I contacted W&N through their website, and received a reply requesting that I send the bottle to a site in NJ, as they were concerned and wanted to examine the product.

Sure enough, they informed me that the medium was NOT supposed to be that thick, and sent a large-size replacement bottle, some sample paints, and a W&N brush for my trouble.

The representative said that if someone has a problem with one of their products, to please let them know, and not just give up on it, or throw it out. This allows them to monitor quality control.

I'm sure that would hold true for any company - not just W&N.

Anyway - just wanted to let you know the result!

Kate