PDA

View Full Version : OP Challenge Sept 2011

oldrockchick
09-01-2011, 06:20 PM
Hey all

Please join me in this month's Oil Pastel Challenge

The Rules of challenge:

1) This challenge is open to ANY artist of ANY age working with ANY brand of Oil Pastels. Mixed media artists are welcome as well, as long as the main medium will be... Oil pastel, of course!

2) Host is posting royalty free images, what you will use as reference for your art work. feel free to modify it any way you want. You can work on just one image, or all of them You can do several versions of the same reference... the choice is solely YOURS!

3) After you finished your art work, take a photo of it and post it on this thread. You may describe your methods and ask for help or comments, if needed. We all are here to help each other.

We also like to see you work in progress IF you want to share your progress with us.

Feel free to do more than one. All these photos were taken by myself. I'm going to post them here now, I'm going to attempt to put the high res versions in the RIL, but so far I've been having difficulty as I kept getting site error messages. (but I will try).

I hope there is something for everyone of all tastes and abilities.

I just HAD to include this popular little fellow. Dave the cat showing his ownership of the sofa.

http://www.wetcanvas.com/Community/images/01-Sep-2011/179312-animal_Dave_the_cat_19_Oct_09005_1_1280x960.jpg

High res RIL image: http://www.wetcanvas.com/RefLib/showphoto.php?photo=131705&cat=3711

For flower lovers - a pink rose from my garden.
http://www.wetcanvas.com/Community/images/01-Sep-2011/179312-floral_June_11_Roses_in_my_garden_4_1280x960.jpg

RIL high res: http://www.wetcanvas.com/RefLib/showphoto.php?photo=131707&cat=554

Here is a still life arrangement I put together for you:

http://www.wetcanvas.com/Community/images/01-Sep-2011/179312-13_July_11_Fruit_still_lifes__6_1280x960.jpg

Fruit high res in RIL:
http://www.wetcanvas.com/RefLib/showphoto.php?photo=131703&cat=3419

A classic car taken at Arbury Hall (well 2 actually - but feel free to do one)

http://www.wetcanvas.com/Community/images/01-Sep-2011/179312-25_April_11_Arbury_Hall_4__1280x960.jpg

High res RIL: http://www.wetcanvas.com/RefLib/showphoto.php?photo=131704&cat=547

No vanity intended but I thought it might be fun to tackle a portrait. This shot was taken outdoors and has some good lighting, that's why I chose it.

Me, without make up! :eek:

http://www.wetcanvas.com/Community/images/01-Sep-2011/179312-Day_5_Cilgerran_Castle_11_Jun_11_Wales_38__960x1280.jpg

RIL high res: http://www.wetcanvas.com/RefLib/showphoto.php?photo=131706&cat=577

......And finally..... as we are artists, here is an art gallery.
The gallery at St David's (Britains smallest city)

http://www.wetcanvas.com/Community/images/01-Sep-2011/179312-lands_buildings_Wales_2009_Day_15_-_Marloes_peninsula_walk048_38_1280x960.jpg

RIL high res: http://www.wetcanvas.com/RefLib/showphoto.php?photo=131708&cat=3494

OPTIONAL CHALLENGES:

Dramatic lighting: Chiaroscuro, backlighting or changing the original lighting.

Gallery: As there is an art gallery in the refs, do your piece in the style of something you would expect to see in the gallery.

Rolf Harris: This one might take a little research, but he was the artist whose work was on display in the foyer of the gallery featured. Either do something in his style, or method or include something relating to his life and work.

Have fun - enjoy!!!!

EDIT: I have uploaded them. I'm waiting for them to be approved, hopefully the links will take you to the right place once approved for the higher res.:crossfingers:

Pat Isaac
09-01-2011, 06:30 PM
Thanks for hosting, Lin These are great photos.....

Pat

Mo.
09-01-2011, 06:36 PM
Hi Lin, great choice of pics, I'm tempted by the Rolf Harris challenge, be prepared for "D'ya know what it is yet?" :D

oldrockchick
09-01-2011, 06:45 PM
Gosh yu guys are quick off the mark. hope you enjoy them. high res will be available as soon as they are approved. i did try to upload while I was away but all I got was errors. i've done them one at a time and they took. I've copied and pasted the links from the uploaded picture.

Can't wait to see what you all do.. mo i'm sure we'llknow what it is....;)

halthepainter
09-01-2011, 06:56 PM
Lin it's a delightful set of reference photos. Thank you.

GhettoDaveyHavok
09-01-2011, 07:21 PM
Excuse me, what if I only posted graphite in here? NO, I AM KIDDING!

I'll join in on this one since it's been a few months of attempting. I'm just not gonna post it in here....

oldrockchick
09-01-2011, 07:49 PM
aw why not Crystal...we aren't mean you know andI~'m sure it will be good
Great that you are joining in.

GhettoDaveyHavok
09-02-2011, 01:26 AM
Yeah, but I always end up looking like a Kindergartener compared to everyone else in here. And knowing me, I'll end up putting devil horns on the fruits and call it "Fruity Demons of Hell" or something dumb like that.

flyingroc
09-02-2011, 02:58 AM
Hi all,

This is my first time to post in the oil pastel forum. I have to apologize to Lin for this attempt at her portrait. I really struggled with this; my usual difficulties with getting any kind of likeness, but also trying to figure out how to get skin tone, hair, etc. in oil pastel.

http://www.wetcanvas.com/Community/images/02-Sep-2011/961054-IMG_2714.JPG

What do you think? How can I improve?

oldrockchick
09-02-2011, 08:02 AM
Yeah, but I always end up looking like a Kindergartener compared to everyone else in here. And knowing me, I'll end up putting devil horns on the fruits and call it "Fruity Demons of Hell" or something dumb like that.

Go for it!! I'd love to see your 'Fruity Demons From Hell' - seriously. Sounds great. Can't wait!!! I love the creative avante-garde. :thumbsup:

This challenge is for ALL levels of ability. Your work IS good enough to post.

oldrockchick
09-02-2011, 08:06 AM
Flyingroc... wel done for taking this challenge! Skin tones are an issue, especially as most OP sets have the garish primaries and brights. Portraiture is also difficult. I also have very fair skin and freckles so I put this in to be deliberately challenging. No apologies needed.

You have got the lines from my mouth spot on - eyes pretty good too. As you asked for advise the chin seems a little wide - not sure how you could alter it. There are better OP artists than I to give advice. Likeness is pretty good.

I'm honoured you chose my challenge as your first.

I remember almost 3 years ago now when I found this forum and I was clueless, especially with materials. I've learned so much and feel that these challenges have helped me to progress. I hope it does for you too.

GhettoDaveyHavok
09-02-2011, 06:39 PM
flyringroc, I agree with the difficulty of getting the color of the skin, and such, especially oil pastel is pretty limited in colors compared to thing like soft pastels. All I can suggest is get the closest as you can with what you got, and hey, it looks pretty neat. :) I like it.

Lin, I should have it done in a few weeks or less. I just barely started on my weekly pitbull series so I'll squeeze in room for the fruit with horns...

Perhaps your next?:evil: I'm kidding. I won't make a red version of you with horns :lol:

oldrockchick
09-03-2011, 10:46 AM
Crystal - can't wait - and why not I can be a little devil at times :evil:

Pat Isaac
09-03-2011, 11:13 AM
Welcome to the OP forum, flyingroc...:wave: I think you did a good job with this portrait, as they are a challenge and not the easiest to do. What kind of OPs are you using? I do a lot of portraits and have found some really nice colors in the Holbeins and also some of the Neopastels and Senns have some lovely muted tones.

Pat

halthepainter
09-05-2011, 12:24 PM
Hi Flyingroc, I think you did a great job on Lin. (I'm not a portrait artist so I don't really have any suggestions on Lin except: )

I'm surprised that Lin hasn't chastised you for not removing 20 years from her portrait though. :evil: :D

oldrockchick
09-05-2011, 12:39 PM
Hi Flyingroc, I think you did a great job on Lin. (I'm not a portrait artist so I don't really have any suggestions on Lin except: )

I'm surprised that Lin hasn't chastised you for not removing 20 years from her portrait though. :evil: :D

Haha my make up does that.
i put the portrait in to be just that - a challenge - so be brave,,,,,, Sir Hal

oldrockchick
09-05-2011, 05:39 PM
PAT - I know I'm the host and I should have the answer to this - but as there is nowhere else appropriate, and we do discuss, and even have threads here for them.... but for the purpose of challenges can we use Oilbars/sticks for these challenges...do these count? I need to know asap before i start on my piece so I know which support to mark out the sketch on.....

Pat Isaac
09-05-2011, 05:52 PM
I say yes, Lin. I do believe we are not purists. There really is no place else to post them and we do have threads for them. Go for it.

Pat

cfo
09-06-2011, 07:11 AM
Well done to flyinroc for going for the portrait challenge, and very nicely done. Have not done oil pastel myself, but is itching to give it a try.....mmmm....maybe this month?
Happy painting everyone,
Charri:cat:

robertsloan2
09-06-2011, 07:26 AM
Hi all,

This is my first time to post in the oil pastel forum. I have to apologize to Lin for this attempt at her portrait. I really struggled with this; my usual difficulties with getting any kind of likeness, but also trying to figure out how to get skin tone, hair, etc. in oil pastel.

http://www.wetcanvas.com/Community/images/02-Sep-2011/961054-IMG_2714.JPG

What do you think? How can I improve?

Looking good. I like the way you captured her proportions, the biggest problem in any portrait is distorted proportions. Good values, love the colors you used in her hair. Skin tones are pretty good. The cool patch on her chin is a little distracting, you might consider warming that a little.

Lin, you've got to do Fruity Demons from Hell. That's just too cool. Thank you for hosting and tempting me with Dave the Cat. You know which one I'll jump for if I can do the challenge this month. Dave is so cool. He's just so totally relaxed in this reference. All of them are great. I might have a go at you too just to have a good portrait example to take out on my street art screening.

oldrockchick
09-06-2011, 12:04 PM
I say yes, Lin. I do believe we are not purists. There really is no place else to post them and we do have threads for them. Go for it.

Pat

Thanks - all sketched out and transferred and ready to go - will start after dinner.

cfo - go for it - love to see your work. We all start somewhere.

Robert - Good idea - if you need a portrait for your portfolio here's your chance.

halthepainter
09-06-2011, 03:50 PM
Haha my make up does that.
i put the portrait in to be just that - a challenge - so be brave,,,,,, Sir Hal

Sir Hal Gee that has kind of a nice ring to it....:rolleyes:

Lin: I've used oil sticks for some of the past challenges. If I want a lot of texture, they're fantastic.

tdye84
09-06-2011, 11:02 PM
Great challenge! If I'm able to participate (yeah, it's been ages), I'll probably try to insert some different colors like you mentioned as one of the challenges. Or was it just lighting? Either way, I may change it. :P

flyingroc
09-06-2011, 11:46 PM
Thanks for the welcome, comments, and suggestions, everyone; I was out for US Labor day break. I might take out my oil pastels and try something else from on here again soon :).

PJjr
09-07-2011, 06:31 AM
Lin great pics- I am slammed over the next 2 months but I've committed myself to doing at least one challenge per month so I'm thinking about going after your portrait-- :)

ai2ai
09-07-2011, 12:12 PM
Not confident but might try completing it at some stage...
http://www.wetcanvas.com/Community/images/07-Sep-2011/315161-lin.jpg

halthepainter
09-07-2011, 02:30 PM
Great start ai2ai.

oldrockchick
09-07-2011, 04:39 PM
great start Ai - the nose seems a little wide at the bottom. just thought I'd mention it at this stage before you progress - hope you don't mind. I've always joked about having a long nose lol.

I transferred mine to the support last night and blocked in the colours with Inktense blocks washed to give me an idea of colours etc. I changed the composition. i'm looking at it for a couple of days to see what needs changing.

Had such a busy day today too knackered to start getting dirty tonight.

Pat Isaac
09-07-2011, 05:49 PM
This is a great start.....keep going.

Pat

tdye84
09-08-2011, 01:56 PM
That's a nice sketch. I do hope you keep going with it. :)
Just wondering... what is this sketch in? CP? OP? I was guessing not OP given the detail in just the preliminary sketch, but OP's can surprise you sometimes, so never know.

oldrockchick
09-08-2011, 02:27 PM
That's a nice sketch. I do hope you keep going with it. :)
Just wondering... what is this sketch in? CP? OP? I was guessing not OP given the detail in just the preliminary sketch, but OP's can surprise you sometimes, so never know.

i was guessing it was the preliminary sketch to the OP full work.

PJjr
09-11-2011, 05:52 AM
I think my time in asia is beginning to influence me greatly-- I can't help but make over exaggerated eyes :D
I was attempting a version of "young rock chick" -- maybe just a year or half year younger than the pic ;) -- but the more I developed it the more of a "concerned look" she started having as she stared back at me---

I think the smaller bottom pic is a bit more closer to the original-- the lens created an odd warp that made the facial expression seem almost constipated... :O well-- it's a learning experience!

http://www.wetcanvas.com/Community/images/11-Sep-2011/625152-700.jpg

http://www.wetcanvas.com/Community/images/11-Sep-2011/625152-lin_2_challenge.jpg

oldrockchick
09-11-2011, 01:03 PM
Paul you have most of my features nailed - well done... hmm constipated --- possibly due to all the cake I ate on that holiday.

PJjr
09-12-2011, 01:49 AM
thanks Lin-- by constipated I meant my drawing, not your pic lol! the lens warp sort of pushed the eyes upward and angled in when the actual drawing isn't quite that pronounced :)

halthepainter
09-12-2011, 09:00 AM
Hi PJ, not a bad effort. It's much better than what I could do. The eyes are a bit scary though. :wink2:

Just in case any of we oil pastellists dismiss these challenges, I think they are great for motivation and painting ideas.

At my art fair Saturday, I sold four original paintings and all four were from challenges. Three were from our oil pastel challenges (Lin thanks for the motorcycle reference): my "Red Rider, Red Rider", "Iris on Linen", and my analogous palette, Naval Vessel. The fourth was my "Monet's Pond" done in gouache from the challenge in the Gouache Corner.

Thanks to the WC for these challenges.

oldrockchick
09-12-2011, 01:25 PM
Are you joining in this month Hal?

Oil Pastels Artist
09-12-2011, 04:16 PM
I'm like you Paul, I tend to exaggerate eyes! This is looking really good.

halthepainter
09-13-2011, 09:16 AM
Are you joining in this month Hal?

Lin I hope to. I've really been overwhelmed this month. I have to get entries ready to deliver to a local art show Thursday evening. It's a combo of paintings and poetry. I sometimes write Haikus of my paintings and a few times I've written a Haiku then made a painting to go with it.

I like Haikus, they're simlpe and short and unpretentious (like me in all three categories :D :wink2: )

Lin what classic car is that??? I would like to do that and of course need a title.

If I can get to the kitten, I'll do that one also.

oldrockchick
09-13-2011, 10:24 AM
Lin I hope to. I've really been overwhelmed this month. I have to get entries ready to deliver to a local art show Thursday evening. It's a combo of paintings and poetry. I sometimes write Haikus of my paintings and a few times I've written a Haiku then made a painting to go with it.

I like Haikus, they're simlpe and short and unpretentious (like me in all three categories :D :wink2: )

Lin what classic car is that??? I would like to do that and of course need a title.

If I can get to the kitten, I'll do that one also.

I'm afraid you have me on that one Hal - I just saw it there - I don't know... Perhaps Paul or someone would know better. Maybe it's stereotyping to expect a British man to know about British cars :D apologies lol

EDIT: Just asked Dave (2-legs) - It is a classic Rolls Royce, if you look carefully you will see the 'Spirit of Ecstacy' on the bonnet front.

GhettoDaveyHavok
09-15-2011, 05:06 PM
Looks like everyones enjoying doing your portrait, Lin. :) It's nice when a host lets us paint the host for a challenge. :)

cfo
09-16-2011, 12:12 PM
http://www.wetcanvas.com/Community/images/16-Sep-2011/220489-DSC_0208.jpg Hi everyone!
The portrait entries are so nice, well done, however, portraits are way too scary for me, so I decided to try my hand at the delicious looking fruit instead! This is only my 2nd art entry at WC and my first in the oil pastel forum, so I hope I get it right:o .

oldrockchick
09-16-2011, 12:17 PM
Charri - that's GREAT, I love how you have made it your own. The bananas are especially yummy. Glad, and honoured, you chose to join in my challenge. Hope to see more of your work.

Mo.
09-16-2011, 04:08 PM
Lin I can see you are a popular subject this month, all those portraits of you look so good.
Charri: thats a luscious bowl of fruit excellently done.
Lin sorry to have been absent from your challenge, I injured my right wrist 2 weeks ago and haven't been able to do much painting without it hurting, but I have started one which I hope to finish soon.

halthepainter
09-16-2011, 09:27 PM
Charri, great looking bowl of fruit.

halthepainter
09-19-2011, 03:18 PM
Lin this is a WIP, probably about 90% done. Just wanted to let you know that I'm participating this month.

Erengis on 11 by 14 inch canvas panel. I gessoed the background with Matisse background colors. The color shows dark blue in the jar but dries very light, so I had added black and red acrylics, trying to darken down the bright blue. My camera also seems to empahsize blues, so I used photoshop to try to darken the background but the actual painting's background is almost black. I still have shadow, modelling, and highlight issues to deal with.

Sorry I couldn't get the photo sharper but hope to do better on the final image.

Just noticed my elipse is off a bit, not sure I can do much with it without ruining something else.

http://www.wetcanvas.com/Community/images/19-Sep-2011/140488-still_life_OP_sept_chal.jpg

Pat Isaac
09-19-2011, 05:02 PM
looking good, Hal and the image is a little blurry. I like the old master look to this.

Pat

halthepainter
09-21-2011, 05:46 PM
This my final version. It still didn't photograph well. The yellows are not this bright in the real version but overall this is closer to the real thing. When photographed outside the blues seem to glow unnaturally:confused: :confused: ? I photographed this inside and without flash and may not hold the camera quite still enough so the focus may be a bit soft.

All Erengis on dark blue toned canvas panel...

I guess this must really be bad. My previous version has been up for three days and Lin obiviously doesn't want to hurt my feelings and comment on it.:lol: :lol: (Lin you're the host, it's your duty!!! :wink2: :lol: )

Suggestions welcome (likely to be ignored :evil: but welcome. :wink2: )

http://www.wetcanvas.com/Community/images/21-Sep-2011/140488-Still_life_2_OP_Sep_Chal_Sep_11.jpg

Pat Isaac
09-21-2011, 06:00 PM
You are too sensitive.....this is not bad. Quite nice, in fact. I might like to see some reflections of the fruit on the table. It would ground the painting.
Pat

halthepainter
09-21-2011, 07:03 PM
Pat, I was teasing Lin for her long absence.

I did put a hint of fruit reflections on the table top. Perhaps I should have made the reflections more pronounced.

CandAlArt
09-21-2011, 10:46 PM
Hal, Very nice. I admire your ability to get the glass to look like glass, especially the cut-glass part. (I think Lin is busy eating those gorgeous desserts she posts on the Gusher). The reflections do help ground it, since shadows wouldn't show up with the dark all around the bowl.

halthepainter
09-21-2011, 10:52 PM
Thank you Candace.

Shirl Parker
09-22-2011, 10:54 AM
I like your fruit Hal. It has an old world quality.

halthepainter
09-22-2011, 11:10 AM
Thank you Shirl, great to have you looking in.

oldrockchick
09-22-2011, 12:03 PM
Hal - I spent most of yesterday dozing off so wasn't around much - did look in but must have been before you posted the WIP. I have issues with blue and phots too but scans are worse - to high a contrast.

I posted when you put it on FB too.

i really like this Hal. The dark adds some moody chiaroscuro. The background looks a little ethereal - like clouds through the window of a dimly lit room. Lovely colours on the fruit and you have achieved the look I was going for. I too intended mine to have this classic look.

I haven't posted a WIP yet, I did take a photo but I can't find the darn thing. I used Inktense for the ground colours and I've worked the background with the first layers of Oil sticks and waited to dry. The other day I added more to the background to build up the darks and some crude local colours to the fruits. It's looking ugly atm and is waiting to dry for some refinement.

Reason i'm not taking WIp phtos now is I'm so darn tired and everything is an effort.

halthepainter
09-22-2011, 01:32 PM
Lin hope you feel well enough to get your painting finished. I look forward to seeing it.

cfo
09-23-2011, 05:06 AM
Wow, Hal, your bowl of fruit is beautiful, definately an old master feel to it, classic. I love the colours, the backgrond, the glaa
sslike quality of the bowl! SIR hal indeed!
Happy painting,

halthepainter
09-23-2011, 08:59 AM
Wow, Hal, your bowl of fruit is beautiful, definately an old master feel to it, classic. I love the colours, the backgrond, the glaa
sslike quality of the bowl! SIR hal indeed!
Happy painting,

Charri, thank you very much. Sir Hal.... darn that has a nice ring to it. Alas I don't think I was ever royalty in a past life. :(

In fact, I tend to be rather "proper." I suspect that in a past life I was an English Butler. :thumbsup:

Shirl Parker
09-23-2011, 10:38 AM
Thank you Shirl, great to have you looking in.
…I'm always looking in…

GhettoDaveyHavok
09-23-2011, 01:30 PM
Why do I always get jealous of the paintings in here.... *sigh*

Nice work everyone!

VickiB
09-25-2011, 12:32 AM
Well here is my Rolf Harris attempt of Lin (you're a hard task master) :wave:

http://www.wetcanvas.com/Community/images/24-Sep-2011/461161-Lyn_resized.jpg

Cheers

VickiB
09-25-2011, 12:40 AM
Flyingroc – great attempt on Lin she’s definitely got me stumped this challenge

AI2ai – I like the expressiveness of this sketch, you have captured her well.

Hi Paul, like the vivid eyes and the mouth is excellent!

Hi Charri, I like how you’ve brightened up the reference image and welcome :wave:

Hal, excellent fruit very subtle.

Well done everyone :cool: :cool: :cool:

ai2ai
09-25-2011, 06:19 AM
Been busy lately, here's WIP, hope to tweak the skin tones a little better later. Very beautiful Fruit-bowl Hal. Like your expressive style Vicki, well done.
http://www.wetcanvas.com/Community/images/25-Sep-2011/315161-Lin.jpg

Pat Isaac
09-25-2011, 07:19 AM
GREat color and energy in this portrait. What kind of OPs did you use? Looks like an oil painting.

Pat

halthepainter
09-25-2011, 09:46 AM
Vicki B. great job on the portrait, a very interesting style.

ai2ai, also a super job on the portrait.

Wow Lin so many great portraits for you. On my the next challenge, that I host, I'll have to submit my photo and see if I can squeeze out a free portrait. :evil:

Pat Isaac
09-25-2011, 10:48 AM
You really nailed the poertrait ai2ai.....:thumbsup:

Pat

oldrockchick
09-25-2011, 12:07 PM
Phew I didn't know so many people would go for the portraqit this month - I thought the luscious fruit would have been the most popular - it was my choice, if I ever get it finished :lol: , and nobody went for the building...:eek:

Vicky - well done on opting for the challenge - Rolf would be proud :D I especially like the eyes. Well done :thumbsup: great.

ai ai - what can I say - you've doen a great job with the likeness, and I love the way you've taken a few years off too. (My vanity is sinful :lol: ). - can't wait to see it complete... going so well so far.

I posted the portrait not for vanity reasons - just it was a large clear close up person photo, and I though it was time we tried one. Skin tones can be a real challenge.

Sandra39
09-25-2011, 10:07 PM
Hal- I haven't been back here for awhile since my husband's illness. I occasionally looked in. I love your fruit bowl. Very beautiful and somehow the scene feels mysterious and solemn. It must be the dark BG. It looks like some photos I have seen in the classic books.
Old master indeed!
You should be proud!
And I am proud having you as a friend.

Sandi C.

halthepainter
09-25-2011, 11:25 PM
Friend Sandi, thank you so much. I pray your husband is doing well now???:crossfingers:

ai2ai
09-26-2011, 12:26 PM
Find it hard to get the skin tones right...anyway I enjoyed the challenge, hope you like it Lin.
http://www.wetcanvas.com/Community/images/26-Sep-2011/315161-Lin4.jpg

ai2ai
09-26-2011, 12:46 PM
Pat, the op I used is just student grade about 5 or 6 sticks, perhaps I should get more range, quite limited at the moment.

halthepainter
09-26-2011, 12:46 PM
ai2ai you did a fantastic job.

Pat Isaac
09-26-2011, 03:07 PM
I think this is great for your limited palette. The skin tones are fine.

Pat

oldrockchick
09-26-2011, 03:22 PM
I managed 2 hours today on mine and managed to finish my bananas

E-J
09-30-2011, 06:40 AM
ai2ai, your portrait of Lin is fabulous - you really seem to have captured her likeness, but more than that, you've gone beyond the stern expression in her photograph :) to something softer. I think it is a lovely thoughtful portrait. and with a few student-grade sticks?? Wow. Thanks for posting your progress, too. Your initial drawing was wonderful in itself.

It's been fun to see a variety of takes on the image (Paul's Asian-inspired version, and flyingroc's bold colours, Vicki's "Rolf" version with those dashes and stabs of blue and turquoise - spot on!) and like Lin, I'm surprised most people opted this month for what appeared to me to be the most daunting subject. That's the great thing about this thread, I guess. It is a safe place in which to challenge ourselves.

I also enjoyed the contrast of Hal's Old-Masters-style fruit with Charri's bright, cheerful version. But I'm amazed nobody tried the cat! That was the one I'd printed out, fully intending to participate, but September has been eaten up by the whole back-to-school-and-work thing, and I've also been trying to finish up a few other OP bits and pieces.

Lin - it's great that's you finished your bananas! Hope it didn't drive you bananas painting them :lol: and that you're feeling better today and will be able to share them with us soon.

Great work everyone! :clap:

oldrockchick
09-30-2011, 12:22 PM
Ai Ai - with being banned on and off - by WC lol - beign tired and doing quickie posts I failed to post on your final portrait of me.

I think it is excellent!!!! :thumbsup: you've done a fantasitc job

I'm not really stern - it's just that it was sunny and my eyes are really sensitive to the sun. I take my glasses off for a photo and he takes so long I end up trying not to squint - then I look annoyed lol.:D

HAL - we would love to do a portrait of Sir Hal - do please post yoru portrait!!!!

I'm so tired to day I'm not sure if I'll get my OP finished before I go to the Lakes.it's way too hot to work on it today.. It's almost 30 deg today! PLUS all I want to do is sleep. I was up and out by 9 am today as I had a 'gig' providing music and announcemts for an event at the hospital.

The thread remains open so if some of you haven't finished or want to 'have a go' still you CAN post after the next one has started.

Thank you all for joining in and TALLY HO for the next challenge.

ai2ai
09-30-2011, 09:30 PM
Thanks Lin (hope you're feeling better soon), E-J, Pat, Hal for your kind comments. Time did fly quickly!

halthepainter
09-30-2011, 11:36 PM
I spent some time today tweaking my still life painting.

The blues came out brighter and lighter than in real life.

http://www.wetcanvas.com/Community/images/30-Sep-2011/140488-Still_Life_Sep.2.jpg

talinka
10-01-2011, 04:02 AM
Hal- nice work. I like the reflction of the fruit on the surface.

halthepainter
10-01-2011, 09:57 AM
Lin thank you for hosting this month. Your portrait was certainly the most popular item. :thumbsup:

oldrockchick
10-01-2011, 12:11 PM
wow hAL LOVING THE TWEAKS ESP THE GLASS REFLECTONS ON THE FLAT...

OOPS SOZ CAPS

My mum said I was 'no oil painting' she didn't say IO was no 'Oil PASTEL' paiting lol....

Thanks all now to the next challenge

hosted by E-J

http://www.wetcanvas.com/forums/showthread.php?t=950228

I'm off to the Lake district tomorrow and have to do some packing...

I'll try to get my fruit done and posted when I get back and also prepare a gallery

halthepainter
10-01-2011, 12:14 PM
Thank you Lin and Tali.

Pat Isaac
10-01-2011, 12:19 PM
Nice finish, Hal...

halthepainter
10-01-2011, 03:37 PM
Thanks Pat.

oldrockchick
10-29-2011, 01:07 PM
AAAAARGH - FINALLY!!!!!

This was a labour of love. Awful awful surface to work. I added extra coat of Gesso to a canvas panel. I then mixed in some craft grit with Gesso and reapplied and I made a right pigs ear of it ... not very even at all. And of course I don't have the energy or strength to sand them all (I did a few like this :( :crying: )

I also had to allow 'coats' to dry in between.

I am really pleased I used Derwent Inktense blocks for the underpainting with water as it gave a lovely strong colouration and therefore I didn't neeed too many oil bar coats.

'Fruit Bowl'
11" x 14" Canvas Panel Gessoed and gritted
OIL BARS
Over Derwent inktense blocks underpainting

http://www.wetcanvas.com/Community/images/29-Oct-2011/179312-Oct_2011_Fruit_Oil_Bars.JPG

Pat Isaac
10-29-2011, 02:04 PM
Lovely, Lin and very rich in color....

Pat

halthepainter
10-29-2011, 02:57 PM
Wow Lin, that looks familiar. Beautifully done, it was certainly worth the effort.