PDA

View Full Version : Herefords and hay bale

jeaneade2001
08-29-2011, 11:00 PM
Hello everyone,

It's good to be back on WetCanvas again. This was from the Ross Paterson workshop I attended. www.rosspaterson.com.au/ (http://www.rosspaterson.com.au/)

We painted from our own or Ross' photos. I did really well following and using his technique at the start of this but by the end I'd lost the plot and was back to my own style ... But I did learn a lot, he's an excellent teacher. And he did like the finished painting! He does have the habit of grabbing pastels out of peoples' hands and showing them what he wants, but he never touched my efforts at all, just made a few general suggestions. I guess that's a sort of compliment.

I think I need to stick up some more hay from along the top of the bale, hay and cow backs almost look like they've been drawn with a ruler at the moment - true to the photo but to me it's a demarcation line.

It's 13x9 inches, again on Canson Mi-Tientes 'Tex' - trying to use it up! Mostly Mount Visions and Art Spectrum sticks. Any C&C greatly appreciated!

http://www.wetcanvas.com/Community/images/29-Aug-2011/71788-Herefords_and_hay_bale_2.jpg

Thanks for looking!

Davkin
08-29-2011, 11:59 PM
I'm really liking this one! Excellent job on keeping the focus where it belongs while still keeping interest throughout. Good job on creating a sense of depth too even though there are no hills, mountains or sky. I agree about the main cow's back, but I don't know that I would have noticed if you didn't say anything.

David

equinespirit
08-30-2011, 06:15 AM
Super effects in this! :thumbsup:

Kathryn Wilson
08-30-2011, 08:16 AM
I did really well following and using his technique at the start of this but by the end I'd lost the plot and was back to my own style ... But I did learn a lot, he's an excellent teacher.

I like this a lot - but you left us with a mystery. What does the instructor do differently that is different from your style?

allydoodle
08-30-2011, 08:59 AM
Wow Jean, this is just wonderful. The colors are georgous, and it feels so painterly. The background trees are so soft and beautiful, and the cows have just enough information. Beautiful, really beautiful. I would agree that the height of the hay bale lands at the same point as the height of the cows. Maybe too much of a line there. I would consider lowering the height of the hay bale to show more depth, and it would also give an interesting shape to the 'cows and hay bale', which I sort of consider to be one shape.

Beautiful painting, and yes I would also be interested in hearing what it was about this artists style that is different from yours? Curious minds want to know......

Dougwas
08-30-2011, 02:04 PM
I really like your painting. You gave us just enough detail on the cows and the background trees fade into the distance. A good example on not needing a lot of details to make a good painting.

I have never taken a workshop, but I believe you should take the information the instructor is giving and apply it to your own style. I hope that makes sense. Maybe I'm wrong.:confused: Whatever, you did a nice job on this.

Doug

IMaybe
08-30-2011, 02:23 PM
:clap: Beautiful work,,, and on Canson, which I think is wonderful-----great job getting the light to come thru, and with the recession as well. Also great cows!!!! Breeders' actually breed cattle to have a "streight line" along the back---the top line of cattle---and buyers look for this when they buy good cattle, so for me, its perfect!! Don't change a thing!! great job. Would also like to hear more about the clinitians' style. thanks!

jochem25
08-30-2011, 04:06 PM
i Like this one very much; good colors!

jeaneade2001
08-31-2011, 06:29 AM
Hey, everyone, thanks so very much for your positive comments! makes me feel I achieved something good.

As to Ross Paterson's style, he paints very loosely, everything is suggested and there's no real detail. I tend to be a perfectionist and get very bogged down in detail but in this painting I managed to stay a bit looser and that was a good lesson learned.

Here are (very rough) photos of two of the demos he did at the workshop. The trees probably took half an hour, maybe forty minutes, and the sheep took him about fifteen to twenty minutes.

http://www.wetcanvas.com/Community/images/31-Aug-2011/71788-Ross_trees.jpg

http://www.wetcanvas.com/Community/images/31-Aug-2011/71788-Ross_sheep.jpg

Up close there's just strokes, but stand back and it all magically appears! Have a look at his website in my link at the beginning of this thread. He's one of the "Melbourne 20" artists, who include Joseph Zbukvic, Herman Pekel, David Taylor, Amanda Hyatt, Greg Allen .... Membership by invitation only and it's been going close to 100 years. It's quite exclusive.

Thanks again for you comments!

jeaneade2001
08-31-2011, 07:29 AM
Ida, I forgot to mention it's not the standard Canson paper, bubbly texture on one side and smooth on the other. It's a finely sanded paper that was released to the Australian market (we were guinea pigs, I suspect) a year or so ago. It's not particularly robust - You can't over-wet it or scrub at it like you can Colourfix - and it doesn't take much layering or blending before the tooth clogs up. It's called Canson Mi-Tientes 'Tex'.

NC-artist
08-31-2011, 08:07 AM
I love how this painting makes me feel! Lovely work!

Turpintine45
08-31-2011, 02:28 PM
This is a lovely peaceful pastoral scene. The cows backs look just right and the hay bale looks just fine to me. I like the simple unfussy look to it.
Thanks for the pictures and website of Ross Paterson. I like his lose style. Wish I could loosen up like that.

John Palmer Fine Art
08-31-2011, 02:30 PM
Lovely painting, the light captured here works so beautifully.
John

jeaneade2001
09-01-2011, 04:25 AM
Lyn, thank you! I'm glad you like it.

Jen, I wish I could paint loose like that, too. He makes it look so easy. I'm pleased you liked my painting.

Thank you, John. It's not always easy to get the light right.

IMaybe
09-01-2011, 11:05 AM
:wave: Wow thanks for the info about the 20! Joshph z, Herman Perkel, Greg Allen, I am familiar with - - - this artists work is great also. Love those sheep!!! He paints the light as it hits the area----very nice!