PDA

View Full Version : Acrylic retarder

CBrunetti
08-26-2011, 11:06 AM
I've been painting with acrylics on and off for years but I have never used any type of retarder before. I just decided, right now, that I need to start! I really can't take it any more! LOL! The paint drying so quickly is making me crazy!! I just have no idea what type/kind to get. Is there something that I can put on the canvas before painting that will work? I'm not too exciting about the thought of mixing a retardant with all of my paints as I am painting...that seems a bit tedious. Or maybe I'm just being stupid. Anyway..any advice or help on acrylic retarders would be much appreciated! Thank you!

idylbrush
08-26-2011, 04:45 PM
I make a mixture of retarder and distilled water. A ratio of 1 part retarder to 20 parts water is good. I use it as a dip for the brush. That way I don't get to much retarder in the mix which can cause issues if to concentrated. A spritz bottle is a nice addition. A layer of gesso and paint into it wet also is good. A good spray of water on the back of the canvas (if you use canvas) is also wonderful. There is also a slo-dri medium gel that is good. Either direct to canvas and paint into it wet or mix with your colors. Also any of the "open" acrylics might make a difference in your painting as well. All sorts of options.

CBrunetti
08-26-2011, 05:27 PM
Thank you so much for the advice!! I just ordered the slo-dri medium and I can't wait to try it out! I appreciate your help.

Jerry Kemp
04-07-2012, 10:51 PM
how long does it take for gesso to dry?

idylbrush
04-07-2012, 11:19 PM
Depends on the thickness of the coat. If water was added. It can take 10- 20 minutes to be dried to a bit longer if thickly applied. How humid is the air, is it raining. Is there a breeze or still air. Lots of variables.

Rrrorrk
04-08-2012, 08:17 AM
I didnt wat to buy a whole new range of open paints so i got the open acrylic gel medium to use with my regular paints as a retarder, just adding a little to the paint keeps it workable for hours, although i did use a little too much at the start and it took over a week to dry, which was not good. I never liked those standard retarders they only slow it down a tad, not enough for me