PDA

View Full Version : acrylic paint pens + acrylic paint problem?

printn
08-25-2011, 10:25 PM
I had the idea of using acrylic paint pens with a painting I have in progress, but when i went to the Blick website there was a note that they do not recommend using them with "actual" acrylic paints. Does anyone know what the problem would be?

Wassie
08-26-2011, 02:07 AM
I would ask Dick Blick. They've always been helpful to me.

idylbrush
08-26-2011, 08:39 AM
I have read the same line and just moved on.

Have you considered using refillable coptic marker cases with acrylic inks. Have found they work quite well. Refillable markers with acrylic inks work as well.

Ackerman makes a pen that will handle acrylic inks and liquid acrylic paints.

There are always options if you look far enough.

Blick Art Materials
08-26-2011, 02:25 PM
I had the idea of using acrylic paint pens with a painting I have in progress, but when i went to the Blick website there was a note that they do not recommend using them with "actual" acrylic paints. Does anyone know what the problem would be?

Because the binder/carrier for the color in paint markers is not necessarily water based even though the paint is acrylic, there may be compatibility issues which could cause peeling or other adhesion problems. I would also be concerned about lightfastness, as paint markers are usually made with dye based colors.

The previous suggestions regarding a refillable marker are worth trying, or you could purchase small squeeze bottles with fine metal writing tips and fill them with fluid acrylics or heavier body acrylics which have been thinned. There are also tools used by batik artists for applying wax which can be used with paint as well and are handled very much like a pen.

-Becky

printn
08-26-2011, 11:04 PM
Thanks to all- Perfect, detailed answers,and I've learned a lot from them!

It just shows that cheap and easy rarely works.

Now I have to go and scrape that stuff off of my painting...

phyllis

BeeCeeEss
08-27-2011, 03:03 PM
I have used metal pen tips with fluid acrylics to do fine line detailing, etc. These are the old style metal dip-pen tips that you have to insert into a holder. They come in many styles and varying flexibility. I just thin the fluid acrylic paint with enough water (with some flow improver mixed in) until it will flow easily off a pen tip. This method works best on a smooth surface. If you try to do this on a rough canvas or other very textured surface, the pen point with catch and possibly spatter.

Beverly