PDA

View Full Version : Monochromatic study of NYC....6"x 8" gouache

LarrySeiler
08-25-2011, 02:13 PM
Its been awhile since I've been actively active in this forum...but since my piece was accepted in the AIS national exhibition coming in October, figured I should endeavor to play with it more and more...

Living in a national forest, painting a good deal plein air, my workshops taking me often to mountains and such...I don't have opportunity to deal with a lot of City/urban type scenes. Traveling to NYC a couple times to be with family...I was inspired with lights, reflected light...and thought I'd push some gouache around and play. This one is about an hour's long study... 6"x 8" and is simply monochromatic. Painting on Strathmore 400 series board...

http://www.wetcanvas.com/Community/images/25-Aug-2011/532-streetsofNYC1_monochromatic.jpg

and smaller stepped back view-

http://www.wetcanvas.com/Community/images/25-Aug-2011/532-streetsofNYC1_monochromatic_sml.jpg

Pwnderosa
08-26-2011, 09:30 PM
Wow that is just beautiful, what a lovely balance and play between light and dark.

dledmunds
08-26-2011, 09:43 PM
Larry good to see you back! This is great! I really like the colors...are these a mix?

LarrySeiler
08-26-2011, 11:01 PM
Thanks...mix? Not sure I follow. Then again I have a concussion ...

dledmunds
08-27-2011, 09:46 PM
Straight out the tube Larry or a mix of several colors? What happened to you?

LarrySeiler
08-28-2011, 06:27 PM
mixed...to a color I liked, then with values...Deb,

My wife and I got rear-ended quite hard sitting at a red light in upper Michigan about a month ago. Unfortunately, it was on a highway...so even though a light, this guy didn't pay much attention. Whiplash and concussion...my wife a slight whiplash...hitting more my side. They say maybe three months to a year to recover...some things may never fully recover

dledmunds
08-28-2011, 07:02 PM
Sorry to hear about your accident....I remember back when I was 20 and got hit broadside from some idiot in Florida on my trip from the airport....screwed my right shoulder up and I still have some pain from that almost 35 years later....hope your recovery is quick.

I really like the mix of color here....the browns are great! Is that the black from the mat board?

LarrySeiler
08-28-2011, 07:19 PM
thanks...time will tell...
yep, the Strathboard.black..

grobles63
08-29-2011, 01:40 PM
This is a really wonderful painting. Love how much was said with just a little colors and well placed values. Good drawing too.

LarrySeiler
08-29-2011, 02:44 PM
thanks...