PDA

View Full Version : Canson Montval Watercolor vs Canson Montval Acryic

E.J.Kim
08-22-2011, 09:06 PM
Hi, I have a similar question below. I was just going to ask a question by replying to the question but it seems to have moved to another material, so I'm just posting a question here. Anyway, today I found 2 kinds of papers for acrylic colors from the same company at the art supply store.

Canson Montval Acrylic Paper 185lb (400g) 16" 20"
Canson Montval Watercolor Paper 140lb (300g) 18" 24"

Acrylic paper was sure heavier and solid but it doesn't have the same size as water color paper. However, a lady at the store told me it will work well for acrylic colors just like acrylic paper. Water color paper was also good and cheaper but it wasn't easy to decide to buy it since I have to buy it as a pad.
Is there anyone who's been using Canson Montval Watercolor Paper for acrylic colors?

Lady Carol
08-22-2011, 11:39 PM
I have not used that brand of paper.

DonEc
08-23-2011, 12:24 AM
That is a good question and I hope this becomes a good discussion, because IMO it really doesn't need to only cover that particular brand. But the difference in watercolor paper and mixed media paper. Even though I hope the answer is discussed for the OP.

timelady
08-23-2011, 06:29 AM
I'm guessing they might have slightly different sizing in them or something? But I only use watercolour paper for acrylic when I use paper. So you should be fine. :) It may have been slightly thicker since acrylic is thicker, anticipating needing a bit more protection from buckling? But what I do is when I'm done I wet the back and lie it under boards (or similar, books work for small stuff) between blotter paper, just like I do with etchings. That flattens it. As for size, 16"x20" is a more standard canvas size which might be the explanation. Whereas watercolours are usually framed so you can actually have the painting any size? Just a marketing gimmick really, rather than a creative reason for the sizing.

noodle1
08-23-2011, 10:27 AM
I've used both and haven't had a problem with either, I actually like the watercolor paper better but then I paint in thin layers most of the time using nothing but water. Sometimes regardless the brand the acrylics papers, in my own experience, haven't that spread or blending ease as watercolor paper does, but it all depends on how you paint, either one I think would be fine. I like buying the full sheets and cutting to whatever size I want or the blocks of either, the pads tho I think are a tad less expensive. Just my thoughts.

Elaine

DonEc
08-24-2011, 11:15 AM
I suspect that the main difference between the watercolor paper, acrylic paper and the mixed media paper is in the sizing used. I found this definition of sizing and it sounds to me like it makes sense.
Sizing is used during paper manufacture in order to reduce the paper's tendency when dry to absorb liquid, with the goal of allowing inks and paints to remain on the surface of the paper and to dry there, rather than be absorbed into the paper.To me this says that the acrylic paper and the mixed media paper are probably have sizing applied that causes them to absorb less and thus give the acrylics more time to dry, due to their not sucking up the water so fast.