PDA

View Full Version : Food Allergies

Katie Black
08-20-2011, 01:47 PM
Are you allergic to some foods? I have recently realised I can't eat cheese late at night...it really does give you the worst nightmares! also I avoid fresh orange juice as this gives me a headache almost immediately...so I couldnt help but wonder about other peoples allergies?

snoball
08-20-2011, 02:28 PM
Tea.

Bringer
08-20-2011, 02:34 PM
Nothing that I know of.
There's something that I find quite funny about you guys in US.
You're the country (I think) that consumes more peanut butter in the world and at the same time have alot of people who are allergic to it.
By the way, I don't like it although I'm aware that it's very healthy.

Katie, try eating something like codfish with chickpeas late night (well served) and you'll see what's having trouble to sleep:crying:

José

dougmccallum
08-20-2011, 03:05 PM
Nothing that I know of.
There's something that I find quite funny about you guys in US.
You're the country (I think) that consumes more peanut butter in the world and at the same time have alot of people who are allergic to it.
By the way, I don't like it although I'm aware that it's very healthy.

There is a theory that it may have to do with the way the US cooks most of peanuts that make it worse for allergy. We roast or process at a much higher heat and it could modify the protein. The rest of the world boils them which is lower temperature.

I've had issues with citrus if I have too much and something in beer causes nearly immediate rejection. At least beer is easy to avoid.

Doug

brianvds
08-20-2011, 03:42 PM
Are you allergic to some foods? I have recently realised I can't eat cheese late at night...it really does give you the worst nightmares! also I avoid fresh orange juice as this gives me a headache almost immediately...so I couldnt help but wonder about other peoples allergies?

Well, maybe...

http://www.wetcanvas.com/Community/images/20-Aug-2011/142294-ox-20penis.jpg

snoball
08-20-2011, 06:13 PM
OK allergy or not, I draw the line!

Katie Black
08-20-2011, 08:32 PM
Brian! :lol: Jeeez Who on this planet would want to eat penis!...Errmm better re-phrase that...what kind of people would want to eat such a thing....I had no idea!

Bringer
08-20-2011, 11:54 PM
Brian! :lol: Jeeez Who on this planet would want to eat penis!...Errmm better re-phrase that...what kind of people would want to eat such a thing....I had no idea!

Well, here in Portugal it's lamb testicles.
Although it's something that one doesn't see in butchers anymore.
I remember seeing them when I was much younger.
I guess that nowadays may be consumed in some parts of the country, namely in the countryside.

dkendrafran
08-21-2011, 12:54 AM
Because I really like to breathe, I stay away from these: bananas, kiwi, figs, avocados, melons.

Seems a new tropical food gets added to the list every couple of years. Avocados just joined the list last year (although they were iffy for years); watermelon joined the list four years ago; figs a couple years before that. I've been unable to eat bananas since my teens, kiwi went bye-bye in my twenties, and all the other melons (especially cantaloupe) hit me in my thirties.

So far, I'm all right with mangoes and papayas, but I've been warned that the day may come that I can't eat them either.

Oh, and I can't eat walnuts; those joined the growing list this year, although these don't (yet) send me into can't-breathe mode.

Diane Cutter
08-21-2011, 06:03 AM
I have none but a daughter and a granddaughter (from a different daughter) have severe wheat intolerance. It causes heavy headaches and somewhat of a personality change because of it.

Do you know how difficult it is to be completely gluten free? I hadn't realized just how much so but when either family visits I try my best to avoid cooking anything that has gluten. It's been a real education...

Diane

Katie Black
08-22-2011, 12:25 PM
Bringer...Codfish with chickpeas..:lol:
DianeCutter...I find it difficult enough catering for vegetarians so I can't imagine what it must be like making sure everything is gluten free!:)

JDWooldridge
08-22-2011, 02:24 PM
Sadly enough, I have developed an intolerance to pine nuts. I absolutely love them. I hope I never develop an intolerance to any other nut.

vmrs
08-22-2011, 03:44 PM
My kid is allergic to milk, (anaphylactic allergic NOT lactose intolerant). We have epi pens stashed all over the place. (he also can't eat anything made with milk like butter, yogurt, icecream, cheese etc.)
I'm allergic to shellfish.
My husband it's the citrus and also mildly milk.
Between all of us, we end up just eating a lot of salads.

Brain, that's nasty! But I do have elderly great aunts who used to make stew with it. Ick.

La_
08-22-2011, 08:13 PM
half way through the second glass of red wine i get a pounding headache and my teeth ache ... allergy or aversion, dunno but i've tested it a few times with the same results ... white wine is fine, as are other alcohols.

cream corn on it's own makes me gag ... allergy or aversion, dunno but i've tested it occasionally since childhood with the same results ... mixed with concoctions is so problem.

the taste of liver makes my whole body convulse in revolt ... allergy or aversion, pretty much complete aversion. lol

can't think of anyone in my family/relatives with allergies, no wait, i've a cousins daughter who's allergic to milk, she needs almond milk or the like ... most of us kind of grew up as townys or true rural living with good clean dirt, we were allowed to play in it, nobody was really hung up on spotlessness and i think that helps build immunity to stuff ... as compared to growing up in air conditioned city congestion (breeding factory of exchanged air) where it really overworks the body ... relatable to allergies you think? i think so and have heard there's links to it with asthma (the over sterilized tends to produce more asthma cases than the under sterilized).

severe peanut allergy is scary, and annoying ... most schools around here have completely disallowed peanut butter in their facilities - i'm so glad to be forever done with making school lunches!

la

vmrs
08-22-2011, 11:57 PM
most of us kind of grew up as townys or true rural living with good clean dirt, we were allowed to play in it, nobody was really hung up on spotlessness and i think that helps build immunity to stuff ... as compared to growing up in air conditioned city congestion (breeding factory of exchanged air) where it really overworks the body ... relatable to allergies you think?

My kid's milk allergy and my shellfish allergy are genetic (as are most severe allergies). My husband's problem comes from childhood malnutrition.
Researchers just found that nut allergies especially peanuts is an inherited trait and have identified the genetic marker (a mutation of the filaggrin gene) This mutation can also cause increased skin sensitivity asthma and eczema.
Doug is right, the way we cook peanuts in North America binds the protein making it harder and in some cases impossible for people with this mutation to digest which sets off the allergic reaction.
They are actually working on a protein free hypoallergenic peanut. I'm sure it will be yummy.

dougmccallum
08-23-2011, 12:43 AM
half way through the second glass of red wine i get a pounding headache and my teeth ache ... allergy or aversion, dunno but i've tested it a few times with the same results ... white wine is fine, as are other alcohols.

cream corn on it's own makes me gag ... allergy or aversion, dunno but i've tested it occasionally since childhood with the same results ... mixed with concoctions is so problem.

Red wine causing headaches is common and cause is actually unknown although a number of different things get blamed. Some people get migraines rather than simple headache but red wine will affect people while white wine typically doesn't.

The creamed corn could be a texture issue. Allergy would show up no matter how it was disguised. I would think a simple aversion would occur if you knew it was there. Liver is just revolting.

Doug

Katie Black
08-23-2011, 09:21 PM
It seems Seafood/nuts/milk/fruits/peanut butter/red wine are common triggers for quite a few people then! I think I have an allergy to Crab as well....dont really know cos I havnt touched it for years...when I was about eight I went round to a friends house whose father was a fisherman and we sat in his boat prodding the little crabs with sticks that were scurrying around beneath the wooden slats of the boat..it was fun at the time :o ..but the next day I was covered in hives and whenever I ate crab after that I came out in hives!..I always thought it was Gods punishment for being mean.:lol:

RoadLessTaken
08-24-2011, 11:25 AM
I have none but a daughter and a granddaughter (from a different daughter) have severe wheat intolerance. It causes heavy headaches and somewhat of a personality change because of it.

Do you know how difficult it is to be completely gluten free? I hadn't realized just how much so but when either family visits I try my best to avoid cooking anything that has gluten. It's been a real education...

Diane
I have severe Celiac Sprue disease. Some nights I dream about eating chocolate cake and pizza and awaken mortified that "what if" I really ate those things? Gluten causes severe heart arrythmias for me. Since stopping all gluten my heart has returned to its healthy self but before we knew I was gluten intolerant it was iffy if I could continue to live without a heart transplant.

I have learned that rice flour and almond paste are my friends! And nothing processed. Never trust a processed food!
Sheila

Bringer
08-26-2011, 03:37 PM
After reading all of this, damn is good to live in Portugal:lol:

PiscesWoman
08-26-2011, 06:41 PM
After reading all of this, damn is good to live in Portugal:lol:

It's got nothing to do with where you live - it's to do with your own genetic make-up.

Bringer
08-26-2011, 06:55 PM
Hi Karen,

I was just joking.
But I could bet that in terms of percentage there are more people with food allergy problems in US than in Portugal other many other countries.
I may be wrong, but with the "allowences" that have been made in the USA about food processing, hybrids, genetically modified cereals and all that, I don't think it's a positive thing for people's health.

PiscesWoman
08-26-2011, 07:22 PM
Well, I will let you do the investigating of percentages comparing one country with another.

But the thing is Bringer, doctors don't always believe in such things as food allergies and intolerances, and will diagnose a person with another disease/malady. Therefore your statistic, if you were to do such a study, are wrong from the very start.

Bringer
08-26-2011, 08:07 PM
Well, I will let you do the investigating of percentages comparing one country with another.

But the thing is Bringer, doctors don't always believe in such things as food allergies and intolerances, and will diagnose a person with another disease/malady. Therefore your statistic, if you were to do such a study, are wrong from the very start.

I guess that I see what you mean.
A person is affected by a certain substance that happens to be in a certain food. Right ?

PaulsArt
08-29-2011, 01:48 AM
Mine are gluten, (wheat, rye, barley, oats), soy, nightshades (potatoes, tomatoes, peppers), carrots, garbanzo beans, coffee, tea, grapes, turnips, walnuts, dairy possibly.

But I am not allergic to these foods, I have an intolerance to them. Allergic reactions are caused by IgE immune cells, while intolerances are more aligned with other types of immune cells (IgA,IgG, ttG), or none at all.

I have celiac disease, and developed other intolerances probably due to that. People with celiac sometimes have what is called "leaky gut", a lack of an enzyme that regulates how food particles are allowed to pass into the blood stream. I think Bringer has a good point about GM foods, they are not something to be let out into the food stream without lots of study.

But, the trigger for celiac disease was identified in the Netherlands after WW-2, so it is not an North America specific condition. Also, it is not a caucasian only disease, but can affect people with any ethnicity. The USA is behind the times as far as celiac education and regulations compared to Europe, where some countries use the Codex Alimentarius food guide, which sets limits for gluten in foods labeled GF. In the USA we still don't have any standards for labeling GF foods.

People trying to find out their food triggers can do an elimination diet, which can help you pin point problem foods.

Some people think the incidence of celiac is rising in recent years.