PDA

View Full Version : Hippoboxomus

Billycourty
08-20-2011, 11:58 AM
Let me introuduce you to Hippoboxomus!

He is a hippo that loves to play ball and thinks he is a boxer dog! He is going to go live with my friend that loves these two things.

He is 27cm by 21cm and painted with acrylics. I have no training so I know that I make a lot of errors with hightlights and values.

This is a present for a 60th so I really want it to be the best I can make it. I see that I have some glaring problems with the lip highlights especially, but I am so scared to try and fix them and ruin the painting (which I do love).

I tried to post on the critique forums but my files kept failing. So I hope it will work here.

http://i442.photobucket.com/albums/qq150/billycourty/Hipoboxomus.jpg

Kindest regards
Jay

OkeeKat
08-20-2011, 12:04 PM
Hi Jay, this is Adorable, the expression with the ball in his mouth is priceless!
One suggestion I have is to make the darks a bit darker and highlights brighter.
the ball I'd suggest some darker shadows around the sides & lower portion edges working inward to give it a more rounded shape.

DonEc
08-20-2011, 12:43 PM
Jay Hippoboxomus! is so cool, great job. :clap:
The image didn't fit on my screen and I had to scroll down and that was a very good thing as I saw this ferocious looking creature starring hard at me and then got down to the ball in it's mouth and it brought a great big smile to my face. Hippoboxomus! is like very serious kid :lol: just awesome. Thanks for sharing. BTW I would not change a thing. If you go making the ball too round and fixing the values you will likely remove the cute kid creature charm making it too real.

gaykir
08-20-2011, 01:28 PM
OMG! Thanks for the great laugh of the day! I think some shading on the ball edges will work - just as Kathie suggests. In any case, this is just too much fun!

Lady Carol
08-20-2011, 06:45 PM
A rare animal indeed. Well done!

Billycourty
08-21-2011, 02:15 AM
Good morning everyone and thankyou so much for your positive feed back and your suggestions.

I am so glad your found it funny as that is a very important part of the work for me.

I will leave the painting for a few days and decide if I want to do the darker shadows or not.

Sincerely
Jay

ladypainter
08-21-2011, 08:44 AM
Very cute and well done.