PDA

View Full Version : soaking paper

humblebee8
03-12-2003, 10:43 PM
Hi Everyone,
I'm hoping to get a little bit of advice before I start a new project.
I'm going to work on monoprints this weekend, which I've done in the past, so I'm pretty sure I know what I'm doing. My only question is if I'm going to use rives bfk, I soak it first, right? How long-30 minutes seems to come to mind? And do I put it between blotting papers or what? It's been over 8 years since the last prints I made, so I'm a little rusty.
Thanks for any input, it would be great appericated.
Heather

sassybird
03-13-2003, 05:13 PM
Soak the Rives BFK for about 15 min. Pull it up out of the water and test the feel for satuaration. If it seems to be relatively dry then soak for another 5 min, and then pull it to check again. After you pull the paper, hold it by one corner and let the water drip off until the drips slow considerably. If you have a place you can hang it for a couple of mintues that would be good also. I use some thick twine stapled to the wall of my studio across a corner so the paper does not touch the walls. Blotter paper is a PITA IMHO. It tends to ball up after awhile, and that can affect your paper by leaving indentations. What I use are two king sized pillow cases. I have a rolling pin that I roll over it several time. Then I just go with the print.

Everyone has their own way of doing things, so I want you to understand this is the technique I have used for many years. It works for me :)

humblebee8
03-13-2003, 05:32 PM
Thanks, that clears it up for me. I also think I'll play it safe and check out a few books at the library before I get started. I mostly needed to know for my materials list before I head to the art supply store. I'll post my work after the weekend.
Heather

sassybird
03-14-2003, 02:44 PM
If you are looking for a book then go for "The Complete Printmaker" It is the bible for printmakers, and it covers all techniques, the best papers, inks, uses of grounds, etc.... You will never regret spending the money for that book. Check on Amazon.com. Gisela, I believe, bought her book from them at a reasonable price.

timelady
03-14-2003, 03:53 PM
Yes, The Complete Printmaker is an amazing book! (I think I have it? Had it? Hmmm...)

Personally I'm lazy and just use a spritz bottle to dampen my paper - then blot any shiney areas under blotting paper if need be. But I run it through an etching press and the monotype is 'painted' on flat surface (plate or perspex). So there's less need for damp paper. And I use Arches or Fabriano so I'm not familiar with the paper you've mentioned, it might be heavier or more textured. Like Sassy said, everyone has their own personal technique. :)

(Sassy - I've never seen blotting paper ball up... sounds weird. I can visualise what you mean but haven't seen it ever happen. )

Tina.

sassybird
03-15-2003, 12:26 AM
A lot of people like to rub it with their hands instead of using a pin, and that will ball it up very fast. It takes about a week for me to have on ball up. That is why I stopped buying them, and started using the pillow cases....lol I have even thought of cloth diapers :)

Little Old Lady
03-16-2003, 08:47 PM
I just took a class doing oil monoprints and it is not necesary to soak the paper.
JoAnn