PDA

View Full Version : My First ‘Proper’ Painting;

Kodanshi Helcarver
08-14-2011, 10:34 AM
I did it for my nephew for his 2nd birthday anniversary, which took place on Saturday just gone. You cannot see the fine detail on the butterflies at this distance, but the rest of the painting looks as you see here. Be gentle with your criticisms, I have only just started painting and drawing! :crossfingers:

http://www.wetcanvas.com/Community/images/14-Aug-2011/975631-Jamil_2_Today.jpg

30×80 cm (12×32 inches).

Charlie's Mum
08-14-2011, 11:50 AM
A very creditable start to your artistic career! - I hope your little nephew appreciated his uncle's offering :D
It looks as if it's on canvas ?

Kodanshi Helcarver
08-14-2011, 12:40 PM
Yes, I painted it on stretched canvas. I originally wanted to portray a bear holding a vase of flowers. After a few preliminary sketches, and paintings on a couple of sheets of canvas, I realised I cannot successfully draw flowers — even the simple ones proved deceptively difficult! I settled for the balloons instead.

Edit: Haha! After posting this I checked out your profile and, from there, your website — your acrylic flowers look incredible! You should see my woeful attempts. Or not… :o

Charlie's Mum
08-14-2011, 04:49 PM
Lol Kodi - thank you for looking :D
You have to realise though, there's a big difference in age and experience between us!!!!!!!! ;)

Did you know you can make very successful flower shapes by using a single brushstroke for each petal? 2 or 3 colours on the brush, together, give a lovely mix for a petal - give it a try ... pointed brush, load by dipping into a couple of colours, then press to the paper/canvas gently, from tip to ferrule and then lift it off - voila! .. a petal :D

Kodanshi Helcarver
08-14-2011, 05:33 PM
Hmmm! I see. Well, that sounds like the experience you mentioned! I shall give that a try and see how it pans out. I have tried something similar when it came to making leaves, but they all ended up looking like bananas.

reikiart
08-14-2011, 11:44 PM
I think it's adorable and I bet your nephew does, too! :thumbsup:

barsha
08-15-2011, 04:09 AM
Liked your 'proper' painting, too good. Where are the improper ones? :D

ladypainter
08-15-2011, 08:33 AM
A very nice gift and well done. Bet he loves it.:)

Kodanshi Helcarver
08-15-2011, 04:56 PM
Thanks for all your kind words, folks! And yes, he does. He keeps saying: “Mamoo painting! Good…” (Mamoo means ‘Uncle’ in Urdu).

chammi kaiser
08-17-2011, 04:57 AM
Kondanshi. I think this is an absolutely charming painting. Simple and effective and I am sure your young nephew loved it. Keep on painting and showing us more of your work. We are an encouraging group here.