PDA

View Full Version : Opinions Needed

lstrvr
08-13-2011, 04:19 AM
After a huge amount of time working on this painting it has become a concern to me that I have a perspective issue with this. Due to painting directly from my reference photo I am now noticing a feeling of the bow of the boat to be off in relation to the stern. The problem is that I took the photo using a large aperture (small f stop) which brings the background of the image forward. Because the boat is so long I fear the lens has distorted the image bringing the stern into the foreground and causing a bit of an issue. I do have the emblem too far to the right of the image enhancing the issue, but I would hate to paint that over again.

My question is whether or not upon viewing this painting, anyone would notice an issue or not. It is hard to answer the question fairly after I have pointed out my concern, but I guess I am just trying to figure out if it is instantly noticeable or wouldn't have been if I hadn't said anything. I've stared at it for so many hours that I need outside advice on this. I'm getting close to the end of this one and my confidence has been rattled:o.

Thank you for any help or input!

Acrylic on Canvas 14"x28"

The Painting:

http://www.wetcanvas.com/Community/images/13-Aug-2011/215139-website_2nd_intermediate_1600x1200.jpg

Painter Nan
08-13-2011, 08:53 AM
It does seem that the red lights? and emblem is too much face on, I am not sure I would have looked so carefully at that part had you not ask.
also there might be a quick fix, like showing less of the far red light/ball mark.
just an opinion.

noodle1
08-13-2011, 09:09 AM
The length of it doesn't bother me, yet the one thing that kind of stood out to me more is this:
http://www.wetcanvas.com/Community/images/13-Aug-2011/139027-boat.jpg http://www.wetcanvas.com/Community/images/13-Aug-2011/139027-original-boat.jpg

In my thinking just the teeny tiny bit slant of the furthest cabins seem to throw it all off...now this is just me and my eye, so I rotated it (image left of screen) just a tad to line up with the other end. Now to me it pulls in the length just a bit, reasonable don't know, but I always found the smallest thing even slightly off somewhere else, can throw the largest portion off just enough so that something doesn't look right. See what you think, and I do know it's not finished yet and just my 'visual' take on it.

Otherwise this is already glorious and I think once all the other aspects are in place the eye won't be disrupted and will tend to the length of the boat if indeed it was distorted by the camera. So far I'd say bravo with it!!

Just me,
Elaine

birdhs
08-13-2011, 09:34 AM
My initial impression of this was WOW! It seems to accurately represent the scene, and gives a feeling of how huge these vessels are. The background seems to balance the ship and I find the entire compositional elements in balance which is pleasing.

Sometimes I have to remind myself that this is ART, and not a photograph. In the real world we all sometimes make slight variations from perfection, after all we are humans. I would be astounded if I could paint half as well as you did on this work.

I say leave it alone, it is very pleasing to our eye, thanx for posting it for us to enjoy. Looking forward to the final product, Greg.

lstrvr
08-13-2011, 01:51 PM
You guys are the greatest! I can get back to this one today with a better outlook. It's funny how quick one's motivation can be extinguished if they begin to doubt the work.

The bridge perspective is wrong and it is something I unfortunately noticed on the late side of things, but my hope is that once the rest of the upper structure on the hull and the cranes are finished it will hopefully diminish the effect.

Thanks again!

cmaldavis
08-16-2011, 09:27 PM
You have created a stunning piece of work!

I fully believe we are our own worst critics. I can easily pick something from every painting I've ever done that I could have done differently or better or something.

It is beautiful!

barsha
08-17-2011, 12:55 AM
I just second what Amy has said. JUST WONDERFUL, Neil :)