PDA

View Full Version : Book by J.Sheppard "How to paint like old masters"

Nathalie Chavieve
08-07-2011, 11:23 AM
Hello dear artists ! I have came across of a book by Joseph Sheppard " How to paint like the old masters ". Is anyone has read this book ? I find all his paintings in this book looks quiet similar one to other even the autor trying to describe different techniques in this book - techniques of Caravaggio, Titian, Rubens , etc. Would like to hear your opinion about techniques, usage of colors and everything else in this book?

dustonpaper
08-09-2011, 04:48 PM
I have that book. Though I am not sure if his techniques really fit each of the masters he tries to emulate, I think it is a great book on portrait painting in general. I guess if you want to really know how certain old masters painted and the materials they used, there might be better sources, scientific papers by conservators for example. Also many new scientific studies have done since the book came out.
But if you want to see several approaches how to get done a portrait, this is a very good book. It is not that expensive and in my opinion you get a lot for your money. I see it more as a general instructional book on portrait painting in Oils than a down to the detail explanation of each masters technique. I would recommend it for painters interested in portrait painting in general.

fulful
08-09-2011, 04:54 PM
I saw the Rembrandt exhibit and was blown away by his portraits of Jesus-what colors did he use for the faces??????

dustonpaper
08-09-2011, 05:02 PM
I saw the Rembrandt exhibit and was blown away by his portraits of Jesus-what colors did he use for the faces??????
If you like Rembrandt I highly recommend that book:

http://www.amazon.com/Rembrandt-Painter-at-Work-Revised/dp/0520258843/ref=sr_1_1?ie=UTF8&qid=1312923565&sr=8-1

Make sure to get the most recent edition. It contains the up to date scientific research into Rembrandt's technique. Alone the good reproductions in it, with a lot of close up photos are worth it.

A lot of the text is here to read for free:
http://books.google.com/books?id=SyYhBOBVmcYC&printsec=frontcover#v=onepage&q&f=false

Doesn't contain the images though, But might help you to decide if it is something for you.