PDA

View Full Version : Essentials of Painting Mountains Discussion Thread

Johannes Instructor
07-26-2011, 03:17 PM
The link for you to register in the upcoming mountain course is now open for registration. Click on this link below to sign up.

http://www.northlightshop.com/product/wet-canvas-live-essentials-of-painting-mountains-with-johannes-vloothius-w8224 (http://www.northlightshop.com/product/wet-canvas-live-essentials-of-painting-mountains-with-johannes-vloothius-w8224)

The course begins August 6.

Improv
07-26-2011, 05:17 PM
Done! I didn't even have to read the course description before going to register. Really looking forward to this one on mountains!

C'mon people! :-)

Cheers

Doug

lorigina
07-26-2011, 06:38 PM
Thanks Johannes. I just registered for the course. Ditto Improv's sentiments. see you on Aug 6.

Johannes Instructor
07-26-2011, 07:39 PM
Thank you for signing up. How about telling some of your artists friends?

mickisew
07-26-2011, 07:57 PM
I am registered and ready to learn. "See" you on the 6th!

Micki in Florida

sapphirelynn
07-27-2011, 05:30 PM
Looking forward to it, as I live in BC there are a lot of mountains everwhere! See you on the 6th.
Hugs
Lynn

IrmaH322
07-27-2011, 06:46 PM
Thank you Johannes for another seminar, I just registered.

lustone
07-27-2011, 06:52 PM
I just registered and hoped to be the first. But I guess not. I'm just glad to be among the students.

Ruth04
07-27-2011, 07:17 PM
Hi Johannes!!
I just registered and I am ready to learn more with you.

Mirsa.

sherrysherman
07-27-2011, 09:20 PM
Just checking -- it's the same as the buildings course in that if you miss a class you can get it via streaming video, right? (I recall you said this is true in another WC post, but the email about the course doesn't say.)

Johannes Instructor
07-27-2011, 09:33 PM
Just checking -- it's the same as the buildings course in that if you miss a class you can get it via streaming video, right? (I recall you said this is true in another WC post, but the email about the course doesn't say.)
You are right the email doesn't say you get the streaming option if you miss a class. However it does say it on the registration link below at northlight.

New Online Seminar Series with JohannesVloothuis Essentials of Painting Mountains (http://click.artists-hub.com/?qs=1eba3bd4f499ba81e61bca37b58d018813b91118a311c514580bb63dd96d0660)

sherrysherman
07-27-2011, 11:09 PM
You are right the email doesn't say you get the streaming option if you miss a class. However it does say it on the registration link below at northlight.

New Online Seminar Series with JohannesVloothuis Essentials of Painting Mountains (http://click.artists-hub.com/?qs=1eba3bd4f499ba81e61bca37b58d018813b91118a311c514580bb63dd96d0660)

Thanks, Johannes. I wanted to be sure, as I'm sending the email on to some friends and want to be able to reassure them about the streaming video.

nougat
07-28-2011, 11:49 AM
i've registered tooooo!

see you on the 6th august :D

Pinklady219
07-29-2011, 09:01 AM
:clap: Yeah, see you on the 6th. I'm looking forward to this very much. I've got happy feet!!:D

gpd2543
07-29-2011, 10:47 AM
Terrific!! I can't wait to take this course. I have been working on seascapes. When I get one worthy I will post it

just having fun
07-30-2011, 12:18 PM
Go to www.how-to-draw-and-paint.com I have posted LEARN TO PAINT MOUNTAINS STARTED BY Everett Davis. Please tell your stories about Johannes, so you can get the word out.

Amandine
07-30-2011, 06:40 PM
Registered this afternoon :wave:
Live in Brome-Missisquoi in Eastern Townships (QC) where we have some wonderful mountains so, learning to paint them correctly will be really enjoyable and greatly beneficial :thumbsup:
À bientôt,

Fiestyone
07-30-2011, 10:02 PM
I am registered and looking forward to another wonderful learning experience. I have learned so much and I have a good time. My paintings are looking a lot better. Just finished a painting with buildings, which I don't do often, but the last class really helped. :clap: see you all on Saturday...;)

Nahant
07-31-2011, 12:11 PM
Hi Johaness…I’ll see you in the mountains…"Yodel-ay-eee-oooo!"

Betty

spudsmom
07-31-2011, 07:10 PM
Signed up the morning the email came out. Can't wait to learn this as I have some pictures of mountains from China I want to paint for my son! My broken wrist is out of the cast and beginning to be semi useful again so I will be in better shape than the buildings class.

Looking forward to starting!
Sherri

koksie
08-01-2011, 03:37 AM
I alreacy have signed up. Unfortunately I will not see the live-courses . Because of the time! But I will watch the videos and read all the comments.
Brigitte

Johannes Instructor
08-01-2011, 01:41 PM
I am entering Cody Wyoming traveling towards the Tetons. Did my first plain air painting this morning on the way. See you all on Saturday.

painter 55
08-01-2011, 09:52 PM
Hoping you will have paintings to share with us from your trip, Johannes. I just signed up for the mountains. A good way to cool off as I live in Florida but that doesn't mean I'll never paint a mountain. By the way, I never got a certificate for the Buildings Course. Did they issue one?

Rosemarie
08-02-2011, 02:37 PM
Johannes, take care and see you on Saturday.

painter55 - I have mailed fw media but haven't got an answer yet about the certificate. Maybe you should ask too?

emjp
08-02-2011, 04:35 PM
I have also sent a message to fw media about the certificate for the buildings class but have not heard from them. Cannot wait till next class on Saturday. Johannes hope you show us what you painted on the road.

J.Lloyd
08-03-2011, 03:04 AM
The word right now is that Robert and cat, Ari, have reached SF!:) What we also have heard is that Robert is still trying to get hooked up via computer and a mobile hot spot of some sort. Of course Robert knows about Saturday's lesson and I'm sure he'll be doing everthing he can to attend.

Joan

Johannes Instructor
08-03-2011, 11:26 AM
I have also sent a message to fw media about the certificate for the buildings class but have not heard from them. Cannot wait till next class on Saturday. Johannes hope you show us what you painted on the road.

Leaving Cody today. I will probably be in Jackson tonight. I have added a thread for posting pictures and updates of my 2 month plein air painting trip.

sallspaw
08-03-2011, 01:32 PM
Johannes, take care and see you on Saturday.

painter55 - I have mailed fw media but haven't got an answer yet about the certificate. Maybe you should ask too?

Hey guys...it's taking a little while to get the certificates created for everyone...you will receive them in the coming weeks!

domeland
08-03-2011, 06:53 PM
Thank you for the update on the certificates Sallspaw.

tennisqueen
08-03-2011, 11:24 PM
As a student of yours for life, I am looking forward to your next class!!!!:clap:

gwillis
08-05-2011, 10:46 PM
How do I watch the video streaming option of the first webinar class some other time at my convenience? E-mail me instructions and remind me about next week's webinar.

J.Lloyd
08-05-2011, 11:04 PM
Hi - this is to let you all know that Robert Sloan will not be able to make tomorrow's 1st Mountain class - - there has been a glitch with him getting online-connected in SF and he wants to let you know that he will be back online sometime on Monday.

Robert asks if someone in the class will please take the notes for him tomorrow. This will be a great favor to him and everyone in the class.

Joan

Sandra39
08-10-2011, 09:10 PM
Joan and Robert- I wrote in Robert Sloan Tread re: access to computer. Please read there.

Sandi C.

robertsloan2
08-12-2011, 11:06 PM
Notes on August 6th class posted! I am online again and have a scanner again.

Sorry, but I will miss class tomorrow too unless I catch a little of it at the start. A friend is coming in from out of town at 10am or 10:30am with stuff that I left at her house in Nevada, so I will have to leave class when she gets here and help get everything upstairs. I will finish class on the streaming video and post my notes when they're complete.

Unless she runs so late that class is over by the time she arrives, but I don't think that's very likely. I might catch some of it anyway though.

Rosemarie
08-13-2011, 02:40 AM
We will miss you during class. I started out taking notes but I am not fast enough when I have to do it in english. I just so your notes. They are great!

jillmc3
08-13-2011, 11:01 AM
Just wanted to tell you how much I appreciate your notes, Robert. I missed class last week, too, and haven't had time to watch it yet so reviewing your notes will catch me up for today's class! You Rock! :music:

Ruth04
08-13-2011, 09:18 PM
Thank you Robert,
your notes are the best and are very helpful, I have them all.

robertsloan2
08-14-2011, 02:00 AM
Thank you! I saw most of class today, only missed a few minutes. So I've got three pages of notes to post and they'll go up as soon as a moderator unlocks my thread to put them in.

Turned out my friend was delayed in traffic so I got detailed notes for about half of it, then when I went down to help her carry stuff up she shooed me back to the computer because class was still going. So I stayed for most of it and did get three good pages of notes.

I'll take it in again with the streaming video of course. :D

Johannes Instructor
08-14-2011, 08:20 PM
Have any of you seen me in The Watercolor Magazine September issue yet?

Improv
08-14-2011, 10:21 PM
Have any of you seen me in The Watercolor Magazine September issue yet?

I just went here:

http://www.northlightshop.com/category/watercolor-artist/1

and I see an October 2011 issue, but no September issue. Did you mean the October issue? Also, are you referring to an article or an advert?

Cheers

Doug B

Johannes Instructor
08-14-2011, 11:43 PM
I just went here:

http://www.northlightshop.com/category/watercolor-artist/1

and I see an October 2011 issue, but no September issue. Did you mean the October issue? Also, are you referring to an article or an advert?

Cheers

Doug B
The actual physical magazine. The town I am in does not have a book store with a magazine rack that would carry the magazine. The magazine is bimonthly.

lonelm
08-15-2011, 12:09 AM
The actual physical magazine. The town I am in does not have a book store with a magazine rack that would carry the magazine. The magazine is bimonthly.

Jo I wil have a look at Chapters for you. I will be going up that way tomorrow.

painter 55
08-15-2011, 12:50 PM
Hi. When I look at Watercolor Mag subscription it says it is published quarterly. Does that possibly mean you would be in the July, Aug, Sept issue? There is also a Watercolor Artists Mag and that is published every 2 months.

pnt&drw06
08-15-2011, 01:41 PM
Hi:confused: Being a new member, when I was viewing the webinar last Sat. on Essentials of painting mountains, wanted to ask a question, however did not know how to do this. Really do enjoy Johannes's webinars and would like to be a little more interactive.
Not the most computer savy person though.
Thanks

Johannes Instructor
08-16-2011, 10:53 AM
On the webinar panel there is a wording that says "Questions". Next to that word is a small arrow. Click on that and it opens a larger window. There you can type the questions.

Johannes Instructor
08-16-2011, 10:54 AM
Seems like it will be in the October issue but goes on the racks before September. Also the Artist's magazine and the Pastel Journal will have the ad. I understand from head office that the ads will be subsequent in following months.

sallspaw
08-16-2011, 11:53 AM
Just to update everyone enrolled in the Mountains course. I just uploaded the PDF of the PowerPoint presentation for Lesson 1, so you may download that now!

Amandine
08-16-2011, 12:33 PM
Just to update everyone enrolled in the Mountains course. I just uploaded the PDF of the PowerPoint presentation for Lesson 1, so you may download that now!

Thanks for the info. Very huge file ; printed all the 46 pages.
Since you're from fw media, maybe you can answer this question. Is there a possibility that the "essentials of painting ... something" serie become available in a downlodable version ? I have such a hard time with streaming videos :crying: (and I'm sure I'm not the only one), it would be really more useful to be able to download videos to my computer and then play them on tv. :crossfingers: Thank you.

Sandra39
08-16-2011, 08:12 PM
Amandine, it is for sale at Northlightshop.com. Go to that webpage and search for Johannes Vloothuis. I think it is about $19.95 or something like that.

Sandi C.

Amandine
08-17-2011, 08:53 AM
Amandine, it is for sale at Northlightshop.com. Go to that webpage and search for Johannes Vloothuis. I think it is about $19.95 or something like that.

Just checked on northlightshop. What's on sale is the registration for the webinar, not the downloadable videos. Thanks anyway.

Misty Mountain
08-19-2011, 06:18 PM
Where do you download the pdf file for the Painting Mountains??

Johannes Instructor
08-19-2011, 09:36 PM
Where do you download the pdf file for the Painting Mountains??
Send me an email to [email protected] and I will tell you.

nougat
08-21-2011, 01:54 PM
A wonderful water colour demo yesterday Johannes :) thank you.
Pity about the strange glitch with the chat box - tho kenneth was a star and we did have a few laughs :)

Johannes Instructor
08-21-2011, 02:51 PM
A wonderful water colour demo yesterday Johannes :) thank you.
Pity about the strange glitch with the chat box - tho kenneth was a star and we did have a few laughs :)
Well Kenneth was answering the questions which is his role anyway so it really worked out the same way.

nougat
08-21-2011, 11:31 PM
Oh yes of course, i'm not complaining!! just it was strange hearing you say 'how few of you there are, please type something' and we're all typing 'here we are, here we are'!!!!
kenneth is a wonderful teacher like his dad :)

elisamaria
08-22-2011, 05:59 AM
The demo on Saturday turned into such a wonderful, beautiful watercolor painting, which with Johannes´s professional explanations gave me more than any book has given me!!! The pdf complement is a gold mine with all the great paintings which are big enough to study and enjoy and the text is so clear! Thank you for these great lessons. I enjoy them so much. :heart:
Elisabeth

Artsyme
08-22-2011, 10:54 AM
Just wanted to say how much I am enjoying your classes, Johannes! You are an excellent teacher! I have taken many workshops and classes with very gifted artists, but haven't had the AHA! moments that you provide.
Thank you for sharing your knowledge. I will continue to take your online classes, so I hope there will be lots more to come.:clap:

Johannes Instructor
08-22-2011, 07:36 PM
Just wanted to say how much I am enjoying your classes, Johannes! You are an excellent teacher! I have taken many workshops and classes with very gifted artists, but haven't had the AHA! moments that you provide.
Thank you for sharing your knowledge. I will continue to take your online classes, so I hope there will be lots more to come.:clap:
Thank you. F&WMedia has me down for at least another year. So count on us spending more time together.

Pinklady219
08-22-2011, 10:58 PM
:clap: :clap: :clap: :clap: :clap:

nougat
08-23-2011, 02:46 AM
Thank you. F&WMedia has me down for at least another year. So count on us spending more time together.
YAY!!!!!:thumbsup: :clap: :thumbsup:

beart
08-23-2011, 11:23 AM
I had trouble with signing in the chat room Saturday Aug 16th. Then my grandson came by leaving for college so I missed most of it and was hoping to catch up by video recording. I went to the link and it only has lesson 1. Will the lesson 3 be awhile before it is on? I find your classes from informative.

Rosemarie
08-23-2011, 11:32 AM
The videos for lesson 1 and 2 are there as is the Power Point pdf for lesson one. We will probably get a mail when number 3 is up.

painter 55
08-23-2011, 12:33 PM
What is next up for this painting series, Johannes?

mlgk
08-23-2011, 09:12 PM
I went to artistnetwork.com/uncategorized/essentials and used the password but it would not work. I kept getting the same window over and over again.

Rosemarie
08-24-2011, 12:40 AM
Did you use the link you have gotten in the Webinar Live email? Both the link and the link is in the mail.

Johannes Instructor
08-24-2011, 11:04 AM
I had trouble with signing in the chat room Saturday Aug 16th. Then my grandson came by leaving for college so I missed most of it and was hoping to catch up by video recording. I went to the link and it only has lesson 1. Will the lesson 3 be awhile before it is on? I find your classes from informative.
It should be up before this weekend.

Johannes Instructor
08-24-2011, 11:05 AM
I had trouble with signing in the chat room Saturday Aug 16th. Then my grandson came by leaving for college so I missed most of it and was hoping to catch up by video recording. I went to the link and it only has lesson 1. Will the lesson 3 be awhile before it is on? I find your classes from informative.There was no class August 16. That's why you could not log in.

valh
08-24-2011, 09:21 PM
I went to artistnetwork.com/uncategorized/essentials and used the password but it would not work. I kept getting the same window over and over again.

mlgk,

Try using a different browser to access that site.
I use Foxfire for a browser but it will NOT open the password protected sites for Johannes classes. However, I tried using Safari and they opened with no
problem at all. Go figure....

Hope this helps,
Val H

beart
08-25-2011, 01:32 PM
Sorry, I said August 16th but I was looking at the wrong calendar. I was on August 20th, and had the first half hour or so of your class and that is when my grandson came in to say goodbye as he was leaving for college. I did have trouble with the chat. I signed up and it would say I was signed on but when I tried to use the chat it said to sign up again.

Rosemarie
08-25-2011, 01:49 PM
beart - which chat are you talking about? The Gotomeeting or the Justin TV?

Rosemarie
08-27-2011, 12:20 AM
The third weeks HomeWorkReview part is up but the watercolour Painting demo isn't up yet. What has happened? I so wanted to watch it again.

oCDs01-711
08-27-2011, 10:48 AM
I see that Lessons 1 and 2 and the Homework for Lesson 3 has been posted. But wasn't a Lesson 3 in watercolor supposed to be posted? I missed last week so I'm not sure what was to be posted. Would someone be kind enough to let me know if I'm current with watching ONLY Lesson 3 Homework, or should there be also a Lesson 3 Demo in Watercolor?

Thank you. Looking forward to class today!

Shirley

Johannes Instructor
08-27-2011, 11:10 AM
I see that Lessons 1 and 2 and the Homework for Lesson 3 has been posted. But wasn't a Lesson 3 in watercolor supposed to be posted? I missed last week so I'm not sure what was to be posted. Would someone be kind enough to let me know if I'm current with watching ONLY Lesson 3 Homework, or should there be also a Lesson 3 Demo in Watercolor?

Thank you. Looking forward to class today!

Shirley
Sorry the watercolor demo was delayed. They will probably put it up Monday morning.

Rosemarie
08-27-2011, 11:10 AM
That is OK by me, Johannes!

oCDs01-711
08-27-2011, 11:19 AM
Thanks, Johannes. See you today in class.

Thanks, Rosemarie, but your reply on my computer reads written last night at 11:20 p.m. and I wrote mine this morning written on my computer at 9:48 a.m. to see if there was an update. Just wondering if I was missing something. Johannes says no, so I'm good. Thanks, again. See you in the "room!"

Shirley

R Leon
08-27-2011, 08:03 PM
Johannes, the ad appears on the inside of the back page of the October issue of Watercolor Artist. Full color, glossy, very nicely done.

ilovewc
08-27-2011, 08:27 PM
Where might I find a picture of the final paintings from: the watercolor demo on 8-20-11 and the final picture/photo of the oil demo from 8-27-11?
Thank you!
Both were fabulous, and Johannes even better!

painterted
08-27-2011, 08:36 PM
Great course on Mountains Johannes, I really enjoyed it.

ted

tuzigoot
08-28-2011, 10:02 AM
Did someone mention a landscape Facebook page yesterday?? Did a search there and can,t find anything useful. Can someone post the link? Thanks!

Sandra39
08-28-2011, 10:23 AM
I think it's:
www.facebook.com/groups/184426631570594/

I haven't tried searching it myself so not sure this will work.

Sandra39
08-28-2011, 10:24 AM
Just tried it and it works!

tuzigoot
08-28-2011, 11:33 AM
Thank you ma'am!

spudsmom
08-29-2011, 08:21 PM
I missed the third class due to travel so today I went to the streaming page to catch up. I can't seem to find the watercolor demo Johannes did. All I was able to watch was the homework portion of the class. Am I missing something?

Thanks,
Sherri

nougat
08-29-2011, 10:54 PM
not posted yet.

spudsmom
08-30-2011, 08:21 AM
Thank you!

Sandra39
08-30-2011, 09:57 AM
My thought about Johannes's dog is that maybe she/he is trying to backtrack to home in Canada. Maybe it will arrive home sometimes. Not before Johannes arrives home, I hope. :crossfingers:

just having fun
08-31-2011, 09:39 AM
Where is the watercolor demo it been two weeks, lets gooooooooooo!

ilovewc
08-31-2011, 06:05 PM
How about just a picture of the finished watercolor? Has anyone found it posted anywhere? Thanks ahead of time.

oCDs01-711
09-01-2011, 08:23 AM
The watercolor class was posted last night. I was able to watch it. Simply fantastic!

Shirley

Johannes Instructor
09-01-2011, 11:43 PM
Did someone mention a landscape Facebook page yesterday?? Did a search there and can,t find anything useful. Can someone post the link? Thanks!
I'd rather have you all typing in wetcanvas so we keep this within the company that is giving these classes and we stay loyal. There is a Johannes alumni facebook page that they use for random chatting not necessarily related to the classes.

Johannes Instructor
09-01-2011, 11:46 PM
http://www.wetcanvas.com/Community/images/01-Sep-2011/135220-IMG_0474.jpg How about just a picture of the finished watercolor? Has anyone found it posted anywhere? Thanks ahead of time.

painter 55
09-02-2011, 10:30 AM
I found a facebook page for JV about landscapes but did not find any information about painting on it. ?? So now I see that we are supposed to stay here on WC, according to the last entry on the previous page of this thread. That's OK. Thanks for posting the watercolor!

robertsloan2
09-03-2011, 12:14 PM
Was last week the last class? I missed it, got sick, it had to happen sometime.

I didn't know if the last class is today or if that was the last one. Sorry I got so confused with getting overextended on the move, have been running myself into the ground lately for obvious reasons.

lonelm
09-03-2011, 12:43 PM
Yes last week was the last class. The videos are up on the streaming site so you should be able to get caught up.

robertsloan2
09-03-2011, 12:45 PM
Thanks, Judy. I'm sad to have missed it but relieved to know the videos are up. After the weekend I'll watch the videos and post my notes on the two I missed. I've got a writing challenge right now that I need to finish a novel in only three days. If there was a class today I'd have taken the time out for it and immediately gotten back to the book. Very glad Jo skips months, considering that!

lonelm
09-03-2011, 01:09 PM
You will get caught up lickety split with the streaming videos, almost as good as being there. I think the next one starts October 15. It will be Essentials of painting trees. I think it is one that everyone has been looking forward to. Should be great. So much super info to absorb.

hewill4giveu
09-03-2011, 04:02 PM
Really lonelm that is the one i desperatly need coarse need them all lol. Trees just seem to get past me. Guess i need to be practicing .

lonelm
09-03-2011, 07:42 PM
Jo seems to know the right topics to choose. This series has been wonderful. It is like yoga for the brain. It is one exercise class that is enjoyable and rewarding. Jo knows how to inspire that is for sure. Trees are very timely too. Winter trees make great Christmas cards. :-)

nougat
09-03-2011, 10:26 PM
the mountains course was great and i'm looking forward to the one on trees in october :)

thanks Johannes for posting the watercolour demo painting - it is lovely!

Johannes Instructor
09-06-2011, 07:26 PM
October 15 is the beginning of the tree course. Stay tuned for a follow up email from Wetcanvas!

Moyer
09-08-2011, 08:05 AM
Looking forward to the trees painting class. Count me in.

Banner
09-10-2011, 07:38 PM
I'm looking forward to the trees painting class also count me in.

mickisew
09-11-2011, 02:08 PM
Is it October 15 yet? LOL I am counting the days. Micki

Amandine
09-14-2011, 12:32 PM
October 15 is the beginning of the tree course. Stay tuned for a follow up email from Wetcanvas!

this date is already in my agenda and marked very important.

did I mentioned very important ? I should rather say of vital interest.

HazelP
09-14-2011, 07:33 PM
I have now finished painting the photo I put up for the Painting Mountains class. It is done in Oils on 18 X 14 stetched canvas.

Critiques very welcome.

http://www.wetcanvas.com/Community/images/14-Sep-2011/915542-Fox_Glacier_New_Zealand.jpg

Here is the original photo I took while holidaying in the South Island of New Zealand. I needed to get rid of the soup bowl in the lower left, and wanted Mount Cook out from hiding in the clouds.

http://www.wetcanvas.com/Community/images/14-Sep-2011/915542-915542-Fox-Glacier,-New-Zealand1.jpg

Johannes Instructor
09-15-2011, 11:32 PM
I have now finished painting the photo I put up for the Painting Mountains class. It is done in Oils on 18 X 14 stetched canvas.

Critiques very welcome.

http://www.wetcanvas.com/Community/images/14-Sep-2011/915542-Fox_Glacier_New_Zealand.jpg

Here is the original photo I took while holidaying in the South Island of New Zealand. I needed to get rid of the soup bowl in the lower left, and wanted Mount Cook out from hiding in the clouds.

http://www.wetcanvas.com/Community/images/14-Sep-2011/915542-915542-Fox-Glacier,-New-Zealand1.jpg
The colors in your painting are richer and closer to realism than the photo. I suggest you do more with the sky. It is a flat shape. Look at some of Aspevig's work so you can see how he creates like a pointillism effect or add just s hint of clouds.

HazelP
09-18-2011, 11:30 PM
http://www.wetcanvas.com/Community/images/18-Sep-2011/915542-Fox-for-Johannes.jpg
I had another try at the sky - how does it look now?

The colors in your painting are richer and closer to realism than the photo. I suggest you do more with the sky. It is a flat shape. Look at some of Aspevig's work so you can see how he creates like a pointillism effect or add just s hint of clouds.

Johannes Instructor
09-19-2011, 10:34 AM
http://www.wetcanvas.com/Community/images/18-Sep-2011/915542-Fox-for-Johannes.jpg
I had another try at the sky - how does it look now?
The painting just went up one notch. What I normally do when I want a foreground like you have is I don't allow it to run from side to side. I cut a portion off on one side to show the river flowing from the bottom. I would remove 1/3 of the foreground bushes from left to right. You will be happier with the painting if you do so.

painterted
09-21-2011, 10:38 AM
Anyone having problems getting into the vids on the mountain course? I use the password and can't get in.

ted

Sgourlayart
09-21-2011, 01:32 PM
Ted,
Call up your Email from WetCanvasLive thanking you for attending the Essentials of Painting Mountains course, click on the link, and enter the password from the Email. That works ok for me. Great watercolor that you posted.
Stu

robertsloan2
09-28-2011, 08:04 PM
Big apologies that I haven't had time to catch the last two classes streaming yet. I'm running close to the end of my data usage for this billing period, so I will be watching those episodes and taking notes after Oct. 4th (when it goes on the following bill).

I am going to be taking the longer Trees course too so I'll be posting notes for that as they're aired.

Thank you so much, Johannes. The way these classes are set up, even though I missed two of them due to unforeseeable circumstances, I can still catch up. What I've learned so far has totally revolutionized my art. I'm painting better in every possible way.

When I was out at a doctor's appointment I sketched buildings across the street while waiting for my ride. I couldn't believe the results - all of your principles came back to me. I managed to get down the gist of them in a usable five minute gesture sketch and I can do a good painting of them now from just that. All because of your principles and my not fussing over details and hard perfect lines any more.

http://www.wetcanvas.com/Community/images/28-Sep-2011/70184-9-20-2011-Houses-On-Potrero-Street-pen-post.jpg

This is just a working sketch, a reference sketch in pen on paper. I wanted to share it so you could see the difference in how I handle buildings now from what I used to do when they came out so stiff and unbelievable.

Johannes Instructor
09-29-2011, 01:18 AM
Big apologies that I haven't had time to catch the last two classes streaming yet. I'm running close to the end of my data usage for this billing period, so I will be watching those episodes and taking notes after Oct. 4th (when it goes on the following bill).

I am going to be taking the longer Trees course too so I'll be posting notes for that as they're aired.

Thank you so much, Johannes. The way these classes are set up, even though I missed two of them due to unforeseeable circumstances, I can still catch up. What I've learned so far has totally revolutionized my art. I'm painting better in every possible way.

When I was out at a doctor's appointment I sketched buildings across the street while waiting for my ride. I couldn't believe the results - all of your principles came back to me. I managed to get down the gist of them in a usable five minute gesture sketch and I can do a good painting of them now from just that. All because of your principles and my not fussing over details and hard perfect lines any more.

http://www.wetcanvas.com/Community/images/28-Sep-2011/70184-9-20-2011-Houses-On-Potrero-Street-pen-post.jpg

This is just a working sketch, a reference sketch in pen on paper. I wanted to share it so you could see the difference in how I handle buildings now from what I used to do when they came out so stiff and unbelievable.
I see a lot of nice design in your drawing.