Thanks to Randysart for use of beautiful image from RIL
Acrylic on canvas
7 x 9 inches
This is my first coloured portrait and first of a young child
C & C please
http://www.wetcanvas.com/Community/images/01-Jul-2011/131677-little_girl.jpg

tuzigoot
07-01-2011, 01:58 PM
This really well done, but for two things imo - her nose seems a bit big for a small girl and the highlights in her hair look gray. Nice skin tones and I love the pose!

chammi kaiser
07-01-2011, 03:03 PM
You are really very prolific Grace. I agree with Linda about the nose but otherwise, I think you have done a good job.

OkeeKat
07-01-2011, 06:06 PM
Well done for your first portrait!
Maybe it would help to see the reference.

noodle1
07-01-2011, 06:43 PM
I think accomplishing this is an accomplishment, as I look at it the things that stand out for me are and I hope you don't misunderstand but with these it's a bit about foreshortening...the nose is too long and if you recheck your reference you will see that the slope to the bulb portion is in front of the outter eye, the nostrils will fall in place when you create that tip area of the nose and bring it more centered.
There should be more distance between the area of the nose to upper lip, again check your reference and I am sure you will see that and as well the width changes of the upper lip as it curves downward, bottom lip doesn't distort as much just isn't as full.

Once again when the nose is tweaked the mouth will look better placed..her forehead is a bit too steep for the view, the curved part goes into the scalp and hairline but the width n length is again a bit too wide. You could round out that outter cheek as well so that it encircles the chin rather then the chin looking as if it is pulled in and you can see in your reference as well that
fullness carries into the neck. Keeping the eyes straight even tho they show as angled is probably one of the toughest things I had to get use to, but again if you lift the lower lid, keep your line more straight it will give you the right cut off point to the eye itself and the proportions will work and you'll see it.

Sounds like a lot and I really hope you don't mind, but I think you've done well, and I'd like to see you do better is all, all you need to do is keep doing, make sure you relate your features one to the other, how they fit in the flow of the features, basic rules will always apply and it's good way to not get lost when drawing them. When the shapes fit in proper relationship you have your map to bring it to life with paint. I generally don't offer this much only because it can get confusing in a post, but I think you have a good deal of potential working for you with just a bit of adjustment you could be on your way to being a portrait pro. This is a tough portrait and I think you have offered a positive work and I think you will offer even more in the future.

Just my thoughts,
Elaine

Grace5
07-02-2011, 08:41 AM
Thanks Linda, Chammi, Kathie and Elaine for your kind comments and also for your suggestions.

Elaine thanks for your advice, I really appreciate it. I have already made the nose smaller and that has already improved it a bit. I redid the chin area and then noticed the ear wasn't right, still a few more things to tweak and then I will repost. Once again thanks for your help, sometimes you just get lost in the painting and don't notice things.

barsha
07-04-2011, 02:28 AM
Wonderful Grace, such an innocent beauty that you could depict :)

DominicM
07-04-2011, 03:16 AM
better than my first color portrait - think you have good advice, look forward to seeing more..