PDA

View Full Version : Okay, who's the smart-alec....

BevL
03-09-2003, 09:14 PM
that got me into pastels, huh?

There I was.. minding my own business.. not painting anything at all and not desiring to....and next thing I know I'm a pastel junkie!
I used to have a nice relatively clean studio.. now I got a tiny table in a corner thats loaded with little coloured sticks, and I have a cloud of dust following me everywhere like Pigpen from the Charlie Brown comics! ;)

Anyway.. here's another work in progress from one of the still life setups I put together on Friday. Working my way down the paper..

This will be a challenge, due to both of the ceramic jars having an intricate blue pattern. There will be two oranges in there, and a blue edged table cloth. (I must be insane!)

Being that the paper is quite toothy (sanded), and the china patterns fine, it should be interesting trying to get the lines smooth. Its difficult to do fine detail on this paper, I'm finding. If I press the pastel a little too hard, it removes the pastel below. Tricky.

No white has been used yet.. everything is in shades of grey/blue so far. I bought ONE white Schmincke pastel for those special occasions when I want the brightest hilights. ;)
Wow! Now thats soft!

Bev :)

http://www.wetcanvas.com/Community/images/09-Mar-2003/1746-oranges1B.jpg

http://www.wetcanvas.com/Community/images/09-Mar-2003/1746-oranges2a.jpg

Birdie
03-09-2003, 09:49 PM
This is another nice one........:D I am glad to see another person who works their way down a painting....
O' and by the way there are worse things to be addicted to. LOL

Birdie:rolleyes:

louiethe_cat
03-10-2003, 12:37 AM
This ones gonna be another beauty! I really like your showing it in progress slowly, it helps me to see how someone else tackles a painting. I'ver never completed a painting on sanded paper, but I've fooled around with it, and pastel seems to vibrate on it. I bought some extra fine (220 fine I believe) at Home Depot, and you can make some really nice 8 x 10 paintings with it. I suppose you'd be limited, as they are dark gray, but paint real nice.
Look forward to seeing this complete, and then....more! Alan:p

Mikki Petersen
03-10-2003, 12:56 AM
Bev you have a great beginning here. this will be an interesting one to watch. As for the addiction, you are in excellent company. This forum seems filled with pastel fanatics. I for one find it to be one of the most versatile mediums going for any subject, any size.

BevL
03-10-2003, 01:05 AM
Thanks for your comments, Birdie, Alan and 1mpete

1mpete, thats what I'm finding with pastels.. they are so versatile! I have acheived much better results with pastel than I ever did with acrylic paint. And its so fast!
I'm finding that any struggles I have with them, I enjoy working out solutions and I dont get frustrated like I did with acrylic paint.

I'm also not bored doing pastels.. (as you can probably tell! lol)

Here is the next image. Dont know why I did that orange before working on the blue pattern of the pot on the left. I like to make things difficult for myself, I guess. That whole pot will be covered with blue patterns.

Bev :)

http://www.wetcanvas.com/Community/images/09-Mar-2003/1746-oranges3.jpg

Artaholic
03-10-2003, 01:11 AM
:p Bev, Lookin good!! I had one of those smart alecs? in my life too. Arent we gald??? I never had this much fun with oils. Gerry

Mikki Petersen
03-10-2003, 02:03 AM
This is looking terrific Bev. You have presented yourself a challenge by putting the orange in at this point unless you are left handed but it is a smashing orange. I love the texture in the orange skin.

I think it is the speed with which one can accomplish a painting that keeps me coming back to pastel. I have a short attention span, I guess, but with acrylics I loose my enthusiasm before I get to the finish and it shows. I don't plan ahead well enough for watercolor work and there is virtually nothing I cannot do with pastel, so I am a pastellist and proud of it. My loving children keep nagging at me to do some "real" painting and I just snarl at them. My grandchildren, who enjoy playing with my pastels, fully understand why I like pastel. You get to color with it, play with it, smear it and get your hands real dirty at the same time. What in life could be better?

Dark_Shades
03-10-2003, 04:30 AM
its looking wonderful Bev..... love it ...... what technique did you use for the background.... looks wonderfully smooth ... am enjoying watching this progress as I do with all your works....

good un :)

Smudger
03-10-2003, 05:20 AM
Bev... it's astounding! can't wait for the finish as usual:clap:

louiethe_cat
03-10-2003, 10:23 AM
put me on the list of fanatics and I must be addicted because when I get an urge to paint something its like I have to do it, and "nothing else matters" with a few exceptions. I must be addicted because when I paint, usually every day, 3 hours will go by without much notice of it. I know this must happen to other artists. Do pastels rock? YES! Are they the bee's knee's? Huh?:D

BevL
03-10-2003, 10:56 AM
Thankyou, Dawn, Smudger and Louie. :)

Dawn, I blended the background with my fingers. lol
It was taking a lot of layers to get coverage, so when I had enough pastel on there, I just blended it lightly. What amazes me with this paper is that it is so toothy, but you can still get such a smooth blending, such as the lid on that jug on the left. Yet at the same time, leave some paper showing through just enough for texture, such as the orange. It gives a nice 'oil painting' appearance.

Smudger, absolutely pastels rock! :D

BTDogMom
03-10-2003, 11:34 AM
You blow my mind Bev - how do you do them so quickly, yet so beautiful?!?

BevL
03-10-2003, 12:00 PM
Thanks so much, BT.

All I can tell you is.. I dunno. lol

These paintings are just happening..

I have always worked really fast.. matter of fact, so fast that you would think my work would be a lot looser.. but somehow I end up with tight rendering and it just seems to come out that way even when I'm trying for looseness.
Pastels are even faster than painting with acrylics, so I am producing more work in less time than ever before. :)

Bev

BevL
03-10-2003, 04:37 PM
Here's where I am now. Getting there..

Bev

http://www.wetcanvas.com/Community/images/10-Mar-2003/1746-oranges4a.jpg

louiethe_cat
03-10-2003, 05:34 PM
Absolutely beautiful! Didn't you just start this yesterday? When is the next wip starting?

BevL
03-10-2003, 08:37 PM
I think I'm done. This looks a little bit darker on the left than it should be due to taking the photo at night. The left side isnt as shadowed as it appears here.

To recap.. half sheet (15x22 of sanded buff coloured paper. Mostly Nupastels, with a bit of Terry Ludwigs and a white Schmincke, 23 cups of coffee, 6 cups of tea, and a 24 hour diet of Toaster Strudels (apple and strawberry) ;)

http://www.wetcanvas.com/Community/images/10-Mar-2003/1746-orangesfinal.jpg

Mo.
03-10-2003, 08:46 PM
WOWEEEE!!! I absolutely love your diet! :D, now what do I say about this gobsmacking painting? :D

Seriously Bev, you are pure magic with these still lifes, you are a master at making a few simply objects into a beautiful glowing pieces of art! Bravo indeed!

Cheers,
Mo.

Luvy
03-10-2003, 08:53 PM
Another beauty. Isn't it so much easier than oils? LOL You can just leave them and come back no brushes to clean. I"ve gotten so lazy. I haven't done oils since I picked up on pastels. UGH Spoiled now. And you're doing so well with these pastels

bnoonan
03-10-2003, 09:06 PM
Fantastic :clap: :clap: :clap:

Sometimes it pays to arrive late so you can see the final product all in one quick look. It's amazing how those pastels work isn't it?

Bev this is truly wonderful. You are showing me ways to work my pieces as I watch your WIP. I will say that you have more patience than I do however. I personally need the sleep between the coffee.

Tremendous. What do you do with these gems?

Oh forgot to ask - is it Wallis or LeCarte paper or something even different?

Barb

BevL
03-10-2003, 09:31 PM
Thanks so much for all your nice comments! This really helps to motivate me, to know that I'm doing okay with these pastels. :)

Mo.. Toaster Strudels are the best! :) I also won two free muffins and a donut with my Tim Hortons 'Roll up the Rim to Win' takeout coffee cups! :D
But as for your mention of a few simple objects.. well, I had picked up these two china pieces for a couple of dollars each.. and just tossed some things together and took a bunch of photos. The fact is.. many photos might produce one or two potential good compositions.. so it does take some time to just try things and see if anything works. I dont have room here to leave a still life set up in place.. so I just used my kitchen table where I have good strong sunlight.. and placed different objects together. I managed to take over 100 photos, of four different themes. Then I just pick from those for the ones that appear most pleasing to me. :)

Luvy.. Thanks. :)
I only tried oils for a short time.. and although loved the blending, I hated the long drying time! Pastels blend like oils.. no waiting, no smell, they're instant and produce amazing results. I love them!

Barb, thankyou. I'm glad you are picking up something from seeing my wip. I also like to watch a painting grow, and learn from them. And the feedback we get along the way, be it encouragment that we're heading in the right direction, or be it tips to change things to improve it, it all helps tremendously.

I still am amazed at pastels. I still have a long way to go in learning to use them.. I've not yet tried fur or feathers or people, but I can only imagine I'll be pleased with how much they allow me to do with them.

This paper didnt have any sticker telling me what it is.. so I looked at it when at the store yesterday and they didnt have any brand name labels on it. I havent a clue what it is. They just had a sign saying 'sanded pastel paper'. I know its not Wallis, though, because they dont carry it. I'm dying to try some!
oh! And so far I have no plans for the paintings I've been doing. In the process of setting up to store them away properly as I cant afford framing. I no longer have my two websites so cant try to sell them.. so I suppose they'll just sit here stacked between foam board.

Bev

ptantono
03-10-2003, 11:08 PM
Hi Bev,

The skin of the orange looks so real. I also love the brown colour inside the pot. May we know the colours you used in both ? Please..... :D Thanks for sharing.

Best regards,
Patricia

CarlyHardy
03-11-2003, 12:43 AM
Bev, this is just beautiful. You really do have a way with still lifes! The subtle color reflections from the orange is perfect on the vases. I wish my WIP's would move along so quickly! Maybe I'll have to try that diet of yours...for energy!!

I think your paper could be Art Spectrum...that looks like one of their colors.
carly

BevL
03-11-2003, 11:52 AM
Thankyou, Patricia and Carly

Patricia, I just used a selection of oranges/rusts/yellows for the orange, and a couple of dark browns with a rust colour for the inside of the cup. Cant tell you what colours exactly because Nupastel has numbers on them, not names.

Carly, thankyou. I'm enjoying doing these. I dont know that its the diet that helps me move quickly. Maybe just desperate to keep my mind occupied? ;)

I'm about to start a new one today. Wish me luck. :D

Bev

BTDogMom
03-11-2003, 04:07 PM
Seriously Bev, you are pure magic with these still lifes, you are a master at making a few simply objects into a beautiful glowing pieces of art!

This pretty much sums it all up - amazing Bev, truly amazing:clap: :clap:

rd2ruin
03-11-2003, 04:11 PM
Originally posted by BevL

To recap.. half sheet (15x22 of sanded buff coloured paper. Mostly Nupastels, with a bit of Terry Ludwigs and a white Schmincke, 23 cups of coffee, 6 cups of tea, and a 24 hour diet of Toaster Strudels (apple and strawberry) ;)

That's my problem. I'm only on six cups of coffee and still eating PopTarts. I'm sore lacking the right materials!!!

Bev, another great 'quickie' LOL. Do you work so fast so you dont risk overthinking a peice? I rarely get accused of thinking, so it's not a problem for me, but I work fast (much shorter but also much smaller) myself just because I sort of zone out and just forget to do all those other things, like eating, sleeping and talking to people. :D

Cheers!
- Greg

BevL
03-11-2003, 05:12 PM
Thanks BT, and Greg.

Pop Tarts Greg? Gotta try the Toaster Strudels. Much flakier and much more filling. (wonder if there's enough fruit filling in there to classify it as a food group?) ;)

As for working fast.. it just happens that way. I dont think about it.. and I dont think much beforehand when I start painting. I sorta just jump in a do it. Really. I never do thumbnail sketches.. I never plan colours. I just see it and if I like it, I paint it. I've got to be one of the laziest painters around.

Between painting, I'm taking care of 16 parrots, cleaning house, doing laundry, sometimes eating, occasionally sleeping. And the family passes by occasionally and says a couple words to me.. thats the only people I talk to. :D

Bev

Redsy333
03-11-2003, 05:22 PM
Redsy:D + Pastels + Wetcanvas = Major Addict!!!!!!
I am so glad to finally find WC up and running again, and to open up to this first was a pure delight!!!! LOVE IT!!
Such beauty and ease, you move quickly and create wonderful pictures!!!!
Keep up the addiction:D:D:D

rd2ruin
03-11-2003, 05:24 PM
Originally posted by BevL
Thanks BT, and Greg.

Pop Tarts Greg? Gotta try the Toaster Strudels. Much flakier and much more filling. (wonder if there's enough fruit filling in there to classify it as a food group?) ;)

Bev

I was committed to a 'hospital' for an addiction to Toaster Strudels about three years ago. I can't eat just one. Once I open a box, I'll wake up three days later on a Montreal bound Amtrak train covered in Toaster Strudel wrappers and reeking of blueberries with cream cheese filling. I just black out and go on a binge.

Oh yes, I'm familiar with Toaster Strudels LOL .. I just can't trust myself to buy them again!!!!

Cheers!
- Greg

BevL
03-11-2003, 05:46 PM
Thanks Redsy! lol! :D

Um.. Greg? They have Toaster Strudels with cream cheese? Oh man! Well wait a minute.. that isnt so bad. Fruit.. cheese.. thats two food groups.

I better cool it though. Last place I want to end up is Montreal.

Bev

Redsy333
03-11-2003, 06:00 PM
Originally posted by rd2ruin

I was committed to a 'hospital' for an addiction to Toaster Strudels about three years ago. I can't eat just one. Once I open a box, I'll wake up three days later on a Montreal bound Amtrak train covered in Toaster Strudel wrappers and reeking of blueberries with cream cheese filling. I just black out and go on a binge.

Oh yes, I'm familiar with Toaster Strudels LOL .. I just can't trust myself to buy them again!!!!

Cheers!
- Greg
LMAOOOOOOO geeeeeeesh I just see it now....headlines will read>>"ARtist found after wondering mindlessly for days! Claims a Strudel attacked him!!!"
Scientist believe he will never be sane again!!! <--- baaahhaahah

bnoonan
03-11-2003, 06:55 PM
I demand to see one of these Toaster Strudels in a quick sketch since I don't have a clue what you are talking about.

who was looking for subject matter to sketch???

Barb

Redsy333
03-11-2003, 07:03 PM
Originally posted by bnoonan
I demand to see one of these Toaster Strudels in a quick sketch since I don't have a clue what you are talking about.

who was looking for subject matter to sketch???

Barb
go here dear!
strudellllllll (http://www.pillsbury.com/view/breakfast/strudel.asp)