PDA

View Full Version : Different Strokes JULY 2011

agnesdale
06-30-2011, 12:17 PM
WELCOME TO THE http://www.wetcanvas.com/Community/images/30-Jun-2011/215691-imagesCABWQ8L6.jpg

edition of Different Strokes!

If you would like to host a Different Strokes, please see the Schedule thread here (http://www.wetcanvas.com/forums/showthread.php?t=864282) - it is a sticky near the top of the main forum page.

Please read the guidelines below carefully -

GUIDELINES:On the first of each month a reference photo will be posted in a thread entitled "Different Strokes".

Each member interested in taking the challenge will create a painting using the chosen reference (whole or cropped) and on the 20th of each month participants will upload their interpretation of the reference for discussion within this thread, finished or not.

We all paint from the same reference but sometimes a host may include additional images for help, clarity or guidance.

PLEASE DO NOT UPLOAD WORK TO THE THREAD BEFORE THE 20TH OF THE MONTH.**

At the end of the month the thread /discussion will be closed and a new challenge will begin.
Artwork can be any size on any surface but MUST be acrylic. Monthly references will be selected by the guides and moderators (but please note the additional comment above).

**Please note, the single 'reveal' date is chosen so that we do not influence each other with our individual interpretations ...... that's the whole point of it being called 'Different Strokes'!

The reference picture is own by me taken the other day.Her name is Abigail, 3 years old,she is a daughter of a dear friend!I choose the photo because of the design of her dress.I hope you guys would love it! The challenge is to paint classical portrait, like Edward Atkinson Hornel (http://www.google.co.uk/search?q=Edward+Atkinson+Hornel&hl=en&rlz=1T4ADFA_enGB413GB417&prmd=ivnso&tbm=isch&tbo=u&source=univ&sa=X&ei=XeUNTtDALMKDhQfKyLjRDQ&ved=0CC4QsAQ&biw=1245&bih=507)(1864-1933).
HAPPY PAINTING!
http://www.wetcanvas.com/Community/images/30-Jun-2011/215691-BILD0007.JPG

ENJOY PAINTING!

agnesdale
06-30-2011, 01:12 PM
http://www.wetcanvas.com/Community/images/30-Jun-2011/215691-BILD0005.JPG http://www.wetcanvas.com/Community/images/30-Jun-2011/215691-BILD0004.JPG

Just more Photos to choose from!:wave: :wave: :wave:

trevors
06-30-2011, 03:07 PM
Not and easy reference ( that dress ) but I am up for it so lets see what happens thanks Agnes :wave:

DominicM
06-30-2011, 04:01 PM
no... poor kid - will apologise in advance - hehe

reikiart
07-01-2011, 09:31 AM
Well, I am not real good at painting portraits so mine will be anything but classical, but I will give it a try and see what happens. Beautiful reference! :thumbsup:

old_hobbyist
07-01-2011, 10:17 AM
ITSO Homel? That's one heck of a challenge! After last month's attempt at Van Gogh, I'm not certain I'll be able to handle the frenetic style of Homel, where it is sometimes hard to find his figures amidst the dabblings of the background.

agnesdale
07-01-2011, 10:23 AM
I know its kinda difficult guys,it is also for me!Thats why its a challenge!Anyhow,,just do your best and enjoy!!
HAPPY PAINTING!

Charlie's Mum
07-01-2011, 12:27 PM
Ouch! :eek: :eek: OK!

Have included a link to some of his images for reference - again ... :eek:

I think a 'thank you' should be added - just not sure I'll be thanking you at the end of the month ;);) :D

Mirendi
07-01-2011, 06:54 PM
Hi everyone, - Well I (briefly) introduced myself in the June challenge and committed to trying to July one - before I saw that it's portraiture~my nemesis.

I've had a "figurative" idea floating in my head for some time, but have been too afraid to tackle it. This challenge may be just what I need to try my hand at the figurative works. Thanks for hosting this challenge ~ and for making it quite the challenge, indeed!

After last month's challenge, I can't wait to see what ya'll come up with next!

Sweeets
07-01-2011, 08:56 PM
Thank you for hosting July, Agnes! This will be a real challenge for me, but I look forward to it. Can't wait to see what everyone does. :)

Beautiful_Butterflies_Studio
07-01-2011, 10:58 PM
Oh my lord - WHAT A CHALLENGE!!!!!!
Nut have a few ideas already!!!

QUESTION: Do we HAVE to paint a classical, or can we be "different strokes"?????

Gentle Hugs, Stacey

Prickles
07-02-2011, 01:33 AM
She is so cute, I have to resist the temptation of putting wings on her aaaaaa maybe I will angel Abigail or fairy Abigail hehehehehee

Great pic and challenge Agnesdale

loobyteacher
07-02-2011, 11:47 AM
Thanks for the challenge! and I love the artist referenced! All the wonderful texture, color and imagery!! I am hoping to join in, we shall see how it all goes!

eyepaint
07-02-2011, 12:04 PM
Pretty girl, lovely dress, and what a challenge! Fingers crossed the challenge part is optional? :) :) :)

reikiart
07-02-2011, 03:25 PM
I am off and running! :clap: I was intimidated at first, but once I figured out how I wanted to go with it, it is going well. This painting is certainly taking on a life of it's own already.
Thanks, Agnes, for the wonderful challenge! :wave:

Kat5
07-02-2011, 04:35 PM
I may try this one BUT I'm not sure it would be 'classical' either. I hope this is ok. Nice reference photos! :thumbsup:

agnesdale
07-02-2011, 09:15 PM
I couldnt start yet,Iam itching to go and wiggle it,but all I have is a crooked brush,and a funny acrylics,I shall wait for my stuff to come middle of the week,anyhow,Iam starting to sketch....and guese what??? ITS NOT EASYYY!!!
Happy Painting!

InkyEss
07-03-2011, 04:21 PM
This looks interesting and I would love to give it a try. Not sure what it will turn out like but should be fun trying. :)

Imogene Thomas
07-03-2011, 05:39 PM
Ok, I will try....after all it is "different strokes."

JFountain
07-03-2011, 07:42 PM
My pleasure I will embrace this challenge

agnesdale
07-04-2011, 12:41 AM
Thank you guys that you like it or I may say would try it..

http://www.wetcanvas.com/Community/images/03-Jul-2011/215691-images.jpg
Happy Fourth of July America!!

InkyEss
07-05-2011, 09:46 AM
That little girl is gorgeous and a delight to paint. Pity my painting skills aren't better but I guess practice makes perfect.

I have had a trial run with one painting on canvas board but failed to get the style of Edward Atkinson Hornel so I'm starting another. I'm a determined character and I love a challenge, which is of course why I'm here!:D

I had not heard of Hornel before, but I really like the style, thank you for introducing him to me.:thumbsup:

Charlie's Mum
07-05-2011, 12:04 PM
Hey Peeps - it's OK if you feel Agnes's 'Classical' challenge is a paintbrush too far - :lol: - just as long as the original 'Different Strokes' challenge is visible!!! ;)
I'm thinking I'd like the double challenge for me - but we'll see!!!

cfo
07-06-2011, 05:26 AM
Thanx Agnes for this beautiful pic! This is quite a challenge! Happy painting everyone!

loobyteacher
07-06-2011, 05:30 AM
Well, the style of Edward Atkinson Hornel is definitely a challenge. It appears to me that he used the pallette knife on his backgrounds and the brush on the face, hands and feet. I am by no means matching his style, especially since I am using a brush on the whole piece. I am managing to get the background blocked in and will continue to work on the "texture" as I go.

agnesdale
07-06-2011, 02:53 PM
Thats a brilliant observation Colleen,never thought that,I did saw some of his works,and it never stop to amaze me how all the colors seems to be dancing specially when lookin a few feet away!And most of his subject are children playing which is so ethereal and sooo magical!
My paints arrived today,so I will start tommorow!!
HUGS!

Margaretta
07-07-2011, 07:44 AM
Hi Agnesdale and everyone!
I've never had so many questions about anything but being new to 'Different Strokes' I need to get my head in gear for this! Thank you Agnesdale. It is certainly good to be challenged and what a fascinating task lies ahead!

First of all, how far can you go? Obviously you need to paint in the style of... but could you use a child or person known to you? Should it be the same pose? Can you make up a complementary background to the figure instead of the one presented?

Honestly, I'm not a revolutionary but just need to clarify a few points before beginning.

Cor, it's as complicated as Klimt and this cockney sparrer will 'ave to peck abat a bit to find the resources and nerve to start....:cat: :cat:
Many thanks anyway for an inspiring challenge.:angel: :confused: :eek: ;)

Charlie's Mum
07-07-2011, 12:50 PM
Margaretta - glad you're excited about this :D

You must use the image Agnes has supplied but you can then take that image as far as you wish - and in any direction.
Crop, rotate, mirror, change colours, magnify a small area, do whatever you like - as long as you use this little girl image (Agnes has supplied three to use).

Margaretta
07-07-2011, 04:08 PM
Thank you so much, Charlie's Mum!:) Feeling a lot better now.....:angel: Questions answered and understood!:thumbsup:

Charlie's Mum
07-07-2011, 05:58 PM
Lol Margaretta - ask me another!!! ;) :lol:

Been doing some research ....... getting ideas :D

07-10-2011, 05:12 AM
Hi all,

Well spent today looking at Hornel - WOWser he was amazing!!!!

Okay this IS A CHALLENGE, there is NO way on this green earth I can get close to his brilliance, but that ain't going to stop me from trying..... although I will undoubtably make a complete cofuffle of this.... I still want to try!!!!!

THANKYOU Agnesdale for introducing the amazing E.A. Hornel to us - NEVER knew he exisited, NOW I want to get to know him more!!! :eek:

Anyway, I have come to the conclusion that the knife and heavy brushes, as well as a small-ish canvas are the order for the day!

BUT, he rarely painted ONE child, so still thinking on that one????? ...... maybe flip one of the images, make it less more like the beautiful Abigail (that's IF the first one ACTUALLY even resembles her ......lol!).

However, I am going to do two paintings, the other will not try to emulate a master artist, just a mere mad-woman - - - ME!!!!! hehehehe!!!!

See ya all soon!!!!!

Gentle Hugs, Stacey

agnesdale
07-10-2011, 12:22 PM
Stacey,The underground gallery of The National Gallery of Scotland Edinburgh,displays THE MUSIC IN THE WOODS.Its huge,and it mesmerize me the way he painted the the BG,and the girls faces seems so ethereal.It is so alive and yet the BG is more alive that the children seems to be floating..
Iam so glad that you guys is enthusisastic to try this challenge,,as for my self,,,GOODLUCK TO ME! It is a challenge indeed!

07-10-2011, 07:28 PM
Well no sleep last night, but ready to tackle the drawing stages of this painting!!!!!

It is a CHALLENGE for me, but I really LOVE this challenge - well for now anyway..... hehehehe

Gentle Hugs, Stacey

InkyEss
07-11-2011, 03:08 AM
I'm part way through my second attempt but still no sign of that wonderful style by Hornel. I was hoping that whilst I slept he might creep into my studio and take over giving me that magical effect, but no, he must be busy elsewhere. :)

I have actually done the blocking in and then intend to get busy with the detail and hopefully some semblance of Hornel's style. I have to leave it for a while now and get back to the day job, but I'm excited by the ideas in my head and cannot wait to get back to it.

Great challenge! :clap:

trevors
07-11-2011, 05:31 AM
If mine doesn't improve soon maybe nobody will see it :eek:

Margaretta
07-12-2011, 07:50 PM
I was all fired up by Firehorse's enthusiasm earlier. I put the canvas on the easel, looked, thought, but it's still there, pristine white!!!:eek: :rolleyes:

I will get started: manana, manana!!!:confused: :cat: :)

agnesdale
07-13-2011, 07:48 AM
I was so encourage by you guys,,,either you are starting or not yet starting..
I draw Abby's face and dress,then I play,Then I did the background like playing COLOR-Number or is that Color the Number?Its a childrens coloring book,you guys know what I mean...And then,,it looks fun.... :)

HAPPY PAINTING!!:wave: :wave: :wave:

PS.Margarita,you are funny!!:lol: :lol: :lol:

07-14-2011, 10:19 AM
LOL you are nuts Margarita (that's in a GOOD WAY too!!!!)

Well after about 3 days of TRYING to draw Abigail I have come to the conclusion that:

1. I NEED more pencils and EARASER's, as I have used them up TRYING to draw her!

2. I CAN'T draw CHILDREN - there is no way on this green earth this poor child is going to look like Abigail (unless she ages by 30+ years on heavy alcohol and drugs :eek:)

3. SORRY ABIGAIL, I really, really am!!!!!

BUT I shall try again tomorrow and THEN REGARDLESS of how old and shocking I make this poor girl - I AM GOING TO PAINT!!!!

I have been LOVING the works of Hornel - one smart and amazing ARTIST!!!!!

Agnes, I HOPE to have as much fun as it sounds that you are having!!! hmmmmmm, paint blobs and colours by numbers - how many numbers do you think you needed to cover the multi-faceted colours that Hornel achieved???? hehehe

Just a quick QUestion - can I cheat a little and grid this poor childs face????? PLEEEEEEEEEASE??????? hehehehehe

Gentle Hugs, Stacey :grouphug:

Margaretta
07-14-2011, 10:42 AM
You've got it, Firehorse Australia!!! :angel:

Delicate perfection is not actually my thing either. Well, we'll have a try..... or two....or three..... and be splodgy together!:clap:

This lovely little girl deserves all the pretty colours we can mix....from dotty finger painting to a single hair. If only we could collage the face and hands with pink paper!!:cat: :wink2: :eek: :eek:

I think Agnesdale should be re-christened 'Angst-dale' :wink2: but there you go: a challenge is a challenge and must be attacked (whoops!....gently applied!)

Margaretta and Firehorse cover themselves in paint and roll across canvas.....:eek: :eek:

07-14-2011, 10:49 AM
Margaretta -
lol LOL
LOL LOL LOL

Charlie's Mum
07-14-2011, 04:28 PM
Stacey - of course grid the face - or even trace it! No cheating doing that, especially when you've practised and used up all your stock of pencils and stuff ;) ;)
Hugs back :D

07-14-2011, 09:35 PM
Thanks Maureen, I am sooooo glad you don't think it "cheating"!!!

I usually do grid, as I practice faces on scrap paper, but when I want to REALLY TRY to CaPTURE that likness, and in this case that BEAUTIFUL SMILE of Abigail's, I really NEED this "visual aid"!!!!

So five days left...... how's everyone doing????

REALLY QUITE here????? Is the northern hemisphere still in vacation and summer mode????? Just to let ya know - I am FREEZING, and I live in Queensland, which is HEAPS warmer than New South Wales or lower!!!! :eek:

Gentle Hugs, Stacey :grouphug:

cfo
07-15-2011, 05:28 AM
Five days to go, and still just staring at a white canvas! :cool: I love this challenge, but am too scared to tackle it, can't possibly do it justice! Of course factor no 2 is that up to date I have yet to upload anything! New to all this, but love reading everyone's posts. Happy painting, and wrap up warm to all my fellow winter :eek: friends!

Charri:cat:

trevors
07-15-2011, 07:01 AM
Come on everybody I'm ready!:smug: :wave:

Well unless I decide to change something :rolleyes:

cfo
07-15-2011, 08:37 AM
Finally:clap: managed to find June's gallery, wish I could comment on some of the works, but the thread is propably closed. Wow you guys, all of you did June ref pic justice. There are really some great, stunning and interesting paintings as well as a few unique takes on the subject. Well done, you are all awesome! Am really looking forward to see your entries for this month's challenge!!!
Happy painting,

InkyEss
07-15-2011, 02:28 PM
Yikes! Only 5 days??!!!!:eek: It still doesn't look like Hornel's style, in fact it's hard to say who's style it is. The first one's ok, just a straight painting, a little dull, so I thought try another. Done the underpainting and that's it so far... right, this weekend I WILL get it done. :) Well, I suppose if all else fails I could always go back and start putting splodges over the first one. :D

By the way, if it isn't finished by the due date do we just post where it's at?

Really looking forward to seeing everyone's paintings.

Charri, don't be scared just go for it, have a go and have fun! That's what it's all about (for me anyways!):thumbsup:

Charlie's Mum
07-15-2011, 05:31 PM
Inky - post until the end of the month ......... @ 5 days to go, I'd better get cracking :eek: ... have looked at Hornel and will, now, print the image of abigail - tomorrow I'll paint ..... perhaps .... I hope!:lol:

loobyteacher
07-16-2011, 01:27 PM
Oh well, I am done..... but his style alludes me. I am too tight controlled and not willing to go wild in the background. I am looking forward to all the other interpretations! see you all in just a few short days!

agnesdale
07-17-2011, 12:57 AM
Hi Acry Folksies!!!
Still painting in numbers until I'am crossed eyes,dot dot dot it seemsss..

dot dot dot,,,why it looks like its all dots now??
Dot dot dot...ITS 3 DAYS MORE!!!!! EKKKK!!!
Dot dot dot..................

Charlie's Mum
07-18-2011, 12:46 PM
I've started - just on my way back to it now :smug: - ta ta :wave:

07-18-2011, 11:11 PM
YIKES - 20th is in less than 12 hours :eek:

Better start painting - got the drawing down though!!!!! :eek:

Gentle Hugs, Stacey

agnesdale
07-19-2011, 05:02 AM
Iam almost there.....

cfo
07-19-2011, 07:22 AM
Thanx for the encouragement, Inky! Yep, painting, art, is first of all about having fun!! The clock is counting down........ Happy Painting!

agnesdale
07-19-2011, 01:36 PM
http://www.wetcanvas.com/Community/images/19-Jul-2011/215691-IMAG0987.jpg

Its 12:34 midnight here,so I'am posting as I will be away all day tommorow!!Thank you for everyone who participate,and thank you Abby for posing for me!!

Charlie's Mum
07-19-2011, 01:37 PM
I'm done! Phew - not at all sure it's like the challenge - I think Mr. Hornell got lost on the way ;) .. but it's totally different for me - but totally!!! :lol:

Now, if someone in an earlier time zone posts before I go to bed, then I'll post mine too :D

loobyteacher
07-19-2011, 03:24 PM
very nicely done! you have captured some of the texture that is in Hornel's work, but it is uniquely your own. Well done! and wow already mignight where you are! I still have quite a few more hours here!

Charlie's Mum
07-19-2011, 05:27 PM
Oh Ag darlink!!! didn't realise we'd x-posted and you'd already uploaded!
She's a gorgeous little lassie - love the hydrangea setting and the colours.:clap: :clap:

Well, a couple of hours or so to go yet, but as I'm about to log out, and Ag has already opened up shop, here's mine.

It's on a piece of mountboard, approx. 11"x14" and (I think) a real departure for me. It was becoming a very sinister painting with a very dark wood - but I managed to relieve it a bit - was having nightmares!!! :eek:

Thanks for the challenge Ag, and for the delightful pics of Abbie.

http://www.wetcanvas.com/Community/images/19-Jul-2011/30494-July_2011_Abigail,_Ag-dale.jpg

Sweeets
07-19-2011, 05:41 PM
Thank you, Agnesdale for the photos of Abigail ... and for introducing Hornel. I found his work amazing, but after two days of trying to mimic his style, I finally gave up. Very tough to do! In any case, here is my simple painting ... on a half sheet of watercolor paper.

I love the paintings already posted before mine ... I will comment on everyone's in a day or so. Can't wait to see them all!

Charlie's Mum
07-19-2011, 06:17 PM
Awww Carol - she's so sweet! No pun intended BTW ;) ..... she's lovely and the sky is fantastic - did you use an airbrush?

Sweeets
07-19-2011, 06:52 PM
Hi Maureen --

I didn't use an airbrush. I used a very soft hake brush and did about 10 graduated washes. First started upside down with cad red and cad orange. Then right side up, I did washes of magnesium blue, thalo blue, ultramarine blue and Payne's gray. (Each a narrower and narrower section.)

Sad to say, there was a mar in the paper and I wound up with a streak on the right side ... of course it would be right in the middle of the sky! LOL.
C'est la vie. :o

Margaretta
07-19-2011, 08:23 PM
I'm just peeping as I need a few more hours....started so late! :eek:
These are amazing:
Agnesdale....very British scene, a charming pose. Love the concentration on Abby's face!.
Charlie's Mum.....enchantment in every way! I remember making daisy and buttercup chains for my daughter. A lovely, emotive painting.
Sweets......glowing twilight. What an imaginative story and so restful and magical!

Better start early tomorrow....still a bit befuddled as trying hard to do Homer....whoops! Hornel!
Spodge, Splodge! Firehorse, have you splodged more than me?:angel:

agnesdale
07-19-2011, 08:28 PM
Good Morning Acrylic stained fingers!
OMG Maureen,I didnt get back on here,just post and shut out my pc!I love the dress Mau,it is so exquisite and she looks so dainty and sweet with the flowers in her hand!!And the background,what a work!!!lovely lovely lovely!!
Carol,this is very romantic and magical.Beautiful perspective and Abby looks so ethereal!!Bravo!!
Now I cant wait for everyone to post!!Bring it on!!!

Sweeets
07-19-2011, 09:00 PM
Maureen --

Your blending of colors, particularly on Abby's face, is excellent. I use Liquitex heavy body acrylics, and even with blending medium, I feel like I am just pushing dry paint around. Very difficult to blend. I'm almost thinking of going to oils or watercolor -- gasp!

What types of paints/mediums do you use? Whatever it is, it works!

InkyEss
07-20-2011, 03:19 AM
Oh my! What gorgeous paintings! I will come back later to comment properly as I have to dash off to work now.

I didn't quite manage to get the Hornel style, but I adored this challenge, it was great fun. Please thank Abigail for being such a lovely model. :thumbsup:

Here's both my tries (hope it's ok to put up two) - as you can see I transported Abigail to the seaside! Hope she likes it there.
http://www.wetcanvas.com/Community/images/20-Jul-2011/68454-Acrylic_Challenge1.jpg
Acrylic on canvas board
http://www.wetcanvas.com/Community/images/20-Jul-2011/68454-AcrylicChallenge2.jpg

agnesdale
07-20-2011, 03:31 AM
Bravo Inky,its so lovely,and the color is beautiful..Great job on the folds and designs of the dress!!

trevors
07-20-2011, 06:04 AM
Well here is my effort not really in Hornels class but interesting to try good work everybody :wave:

40 X 50 cms canvas board
http://www.wetcanvas.com/Community/images/20-Jul-2011/105971-abigailpost.jpg

Dewi
07-20-2011, 08:48 AM
Hi everyone :wave:
Thanks Agnes for this interesting challenge, yours is beautiful and a good idea to paint Hortensia as a b/g...lovely porcelain skin.

Maureen, it's very beautiful and that dress is so very lovely. :)

Carol, smooth sky and the girl looks like a little angel.

Inky, both are cute with nice b/g :)

Trevor, lovely idea to add butterfly and I like her dress too.

Dewi
07-20-2011, 08:53 AM
Here is mine, nothing near the challenge but try my best :)
Brush and palette knife on 8" square texture paper.
http://www.wetcanvas.com/Community/images/20-Jul-2011/61325-DS_20-7-2011_001.jpg
Thank you for looking :)

Imogene Thomas
07-20-2011, 10:07 AM
This was truly a challenge for me....here it is! Sorry, Abigail. http://www.wetcanvas.com/Community/images/20-Jul-2011/157219-Abigail-072011.JPG

loobyteacher
07-20-2011, 10:17 AM
http://www.wetcanvas.com/Community/images/20-Jul-2011/117957-k7.jpg

So many wonderful interpretations of the photos! They really were wonderful references! It was a great challenge! It is so great to see how everyone has added different elements in her hands, some of us were thinking along the same lines! I tried to add the bonnet that I saw in some of Hornel's work, but failed to capture his style.... mine just crept right back in!

great job all!:clap:

Margaretta
07-20-2011, 12:12 PM
Figure is now done....but not the ironing. Thinking about a background....tough stuff!:confused: :confused:

Inkyness: an inspired seascape. Love the top one. She looks as though she is really enjoying her ice cream!

Trevor: really clever to show how she is balancing the butterfly. Beautiful, soft folds in that dress!

Dewi: Wish I'd thought of doing the head only! So effective and rich colours glow like the feature artist.

JT Mathis: She really is licking her lips with enjoyment. Would love to walk into that background with her!

Loobyteacher: Like the ideas and the style. What a magical, flowery forest!

Sweeets
07-20-2011, 12:14 PM
Agnesdale -- yours is a sweet painting - Abby's gesture is lovely - great color choices.
Maureen -- great job on the woodland setting and a terrific job on the dress - you have such talent!
Inky -- the seaside setting is fun. I like both paintings, but slightly prefer the second with the stronger value contrast in the foreground.
Trevors -- nice job. I like the blue/green palette with Abby's colors really standing out in contrast. Lovely job on the intricate dress.
Dewi -- I think your background is closest to Hornel's style - not easy to do, so good work! Love the crop, too.
JTMathis -- I'm always interested to see your unique interpretation of the monthly photos. I particularly like the background setting that you added to this one.
Colleen -- beautiful woodsy setting - love the colorful flowers!
:thumbsup:

Kat5
07-20-2011, 12:40 PM
wow I like all the paintings I've seen so far! I have not had a chance to paint anything for a while now so I have no pic to display. Perhaps if I have a chance before months end I'll post one. Great job everyone!

samben84
07-20-2011, 12:59 PM
Everyone is doing a great job! I chickened out this month, but hope to be back.

old_hobbyist
07-20-2011, 03:42 PM
ITSO Hornel (or at least my interpretation of his work). 12 x 16 on recycled canvas panel. (Used a second pic, reversed the image and changed the pinafore color).

I don't normally do children 'cause they always come out looking like oldsters. This is an exception, simply because of the challenge forcing me to mess around with the BG which took twice as much time as the figures.

http://www.wetcanvas.com/Community/images/20-Jul-2011/214919-acrylic_challenge-jul_2011-ptg.jpg

Charlie's Mum
07-20-2011, 05:46 PM
Thanks for the comments on mine Peeps - much appreciated, really!

Carol - I use Liquitex HB and W&N, but also the odd tube of Cryla - all the same basic consistency though/
I'm hopeless with flesh - but thhis time I used a base of Titanium Buff and it gave a good 'flesh' to start with ... I don't use mediums, just water.

Colleen - great minds eh? I do like the colours of your trees though - it's so much lighter and less sinister than my wood!:lol: Like the hat!

Inky - she looks so good on the beach! Nice interpretation in both - well done on painting two versions!:thumbsup:

Trevor - this is very nice - she looks as if she's studying the rubicks cube :lol: - such concentration!

Dewi - sensible lady cropping to a portrait! I like this! :)

JT - How cool and summery this is - nice work!

Jim - my first version had two images of her also - one reversed! :lol: Really like your interpretation of Hornell's style - very successful IMO!
Like you, I needed longer for the b/g - the figure just about painted itself!:lol:

Lovely to see all these interpretations of Abigail - thank you Ag.!! :D

Margaretta
07-20-2011, 09:16 PM
Whoops! Sorry! Try as I might, I just couldn't master Hornel. Think I need a 'dark' subject with a dark background but Abigail seemed to radiate light!
She's a little bit faded in this photo I'm afraid.
Please thank Abigail for her delightful modelling and thanks to you Agnesdale for setting such a challenge. Phew!

http://www.wetcanvas.com/Community/images/20-Jul-2011/216855-Painting_20-7-2011_001.JPG

eyepaint
07-21-2011, 12:38 AM
Here's my contribution. 7x10" wc paper, palette knife.

eyepaint
07-21-2011, 12:43 AM
agnes - love all the rhododendrons with their burst of colour behind our busy little heroine.

Maureen - aww your girl has shiny shoes and a lovely daisy chain headdress :)

sweets - ooh lovely departure here. Great sentiment.

inky - oooh she loves the seaside :)

Trevor - oh ho there's a lovely connection here between those two :)

Dewi - yay you tried with the palette knife again :)

JT - hoory for getting all those patterns in her dress.

Colleen - what a lovely setting

oldhobbyist - ooh a duo studying butterflies - great!

Margaretta - your girl looks a bit somber but determined.

reikiart
07-21-2011, 10:11 AM
I'll be back a little later to post mine, but I wanted to go ahead and comment on all the beautiful renderings of little Abigail.

Agnesdale - Beautiful background and such a lovely face! By the way, thanks for hosting and for a great challenge! :wave:
Maureen - Superb work on the dress and such a wonderful little face, full of expression! :thumbsup:
Carol - Love the way you illuminated little Abigail! Beautiful! :clap:
Inky - I think she looks very happy seaside! :thumbsup: Love both versions!
Trevor - Love the butterfly and you did a really nice job on the dress! :thumbsup:
Dewi - I think you came closer than you think to Hornel's style - the dress and the background kind of flow right into one another, and from what I have seen of Hornel, that is one of the things he did so well. Great work! :clap:
JTMathis - Love the colors - lots of light! :thumbsup:
Colleen - Your's has a fairytale, almost mystical feel to it - very nice! :thumbsup:
OldHobbyist - Fabulous painting! :thumbsup: Love the background - definitely in the spirit of Hornel!
Margaretta - Great background - I love the way the dress kind of melts into the background colors. :clap:
EP - Great addition with the knife! :thumbsup:

Everyone has done so well - I will be back to share mine hopefully today.

Sweeets
07-21-2011, 10:13 AM
Hobbyist - Wow ... you really captured Hornel's style. I can't figure out how you did it, but nice job.
Margaretta - Lovely piece. The little girl looks just like Abby - you really captured her.
Eyepaint - I'm always amazed at your palette knife pieces. Nicely done.

loobyteacher
07-21-2011, 10:53 AM
What fun these challenges are! I love all the results!
EP- good to see the use of the pallette knife, since that is probably what he did use. You have captured the essence of her.
Margaretta, I love the look of your piece. reminds me of a batik. very nice.

and all the rest are great as well! I am looking forward to future challenges!

reikiart
07-21-2011, 11:59 AM
Here is mine, but I feel like I need to offer an explanation as to why it is so drastically different from the original reference photo. I have already talked to Maureen about it, but anyway, here goes. I found out this month that my mother passed away several months ago. Without going into all the details, there were some family issues and we had not been in touch with each other in several years. Anyway, my mom had a pretty difficult life and I remember a photo of her when she was a little girl, by the water with this little baby bird in her hand. She told me that was the only time in her life she could remember being happy. So, long story short, as I started this painting, I couldn't help but think about that photo of my mom, and my rendering just kind of turned into that. I still used the original pose from the reference photo, but my mom was a redhead, so this definitely does not look like Abigail. Sorry about that. I hope I didn't bring everybody down with my post!
So, here it is, 9x12 on Acrylic Paper, titled "Kathy". Not anywhere near Hornel's style, but I enjoyed the painting. (My reference is kind of blurry but its the best I could get my camera to do.)

http://www.wetcanvas.com/Community/images/21-Jul-2011/229855-kathy2.JPG

eyepaint
07-21-2011, 12:10 PM
Carol, Colleen, and reiki - thank you.

Reiki - sorry to hear about your mom. Thank you for the explanation behind your piece. It's a lovely tribute.

Charlie's Mum
07-21-2011, 12:37 PM
Paula - this really is, as EP says, a lovely tribute - and maybe someone is looking down and admiring it too?! I like your colour scheme here too - and esp. the red hair :D (.. cos mine used to be red too at one time ;))

Eeps - nice knife work - not easy for figures I think. I tried and abandoned the idea of using the knife *gulp*!

Margaretta - this reminds me so much of the books we had as children - all those annuals that came at Christmas time .... she's lovely and the pastoral setting is super.

JFountain
07-21-2011, 07:03 PM
http://www.wetcanvas.com/Community/images/21-Jul-2011/775222-different_strokes_001.jpg Sorry I'm a day late went to a U2 concert last night I forgot to upload it my bad.

agnesdale
07-21-2011, 09:32 PM
It is really DIFFERENT STROKES!!

Trevor,I love that serious look on her face,and the butterfly adds drama to whole piece.Captivating work.Bravo!!
Dewi,you have done it Hornels way!!Specially the different colors of the hair!!Amazing!
JT,beautiful BG,beautiful perspective.
Colleen,your piece reminds me of the poem All Things Bright and Beautiful!!And notice that lil hat on the ground...WOW!or is that a lil basket?
Old Hobbyist,my salute to the style,so lovely and looks so classical!!
Margareta,,You have transfered Abby to UK,her fathers homeland!!The view remins me of my nieghborhoods!!Beautiful perspective you have achieve there and great job on the dress!!
EP,you are really EP,it is stunning and different!!I just love it!!
Reikiart,the story ,move me,this painting of yours is a treasure now!!!
JFfountain,Stunning,lovely background and bright colors!!Beautiful!!

Thanks everyone for participating,I posted this simultaneusly on WC facebook,and would maybe post the paintings there too!
HUGSS!!!!

reikiart
07-21-2011, 10:51 PM
EP - Thanks so much...
Maureen - I do hope she sees...and that things are better for her now.
Agnesdale - Thanks for your kind words - that means a lot!

old_hobbyist
07-22-2011, 12:09 AM
Lots of good ptgs! There's still with 10 days to go!

Sweeets
07-22-2011, 12:08 PM
Reikiart -- I am so sorry to hear about your mom. Your painting will be a sweet reminder of her.
JTFountain -- Nice portrayal of Abby. Very unusual colors ... I would never have thought of a violet and yellow sky, but it adds mood!

Charlie's Mum
07-22-2011, 06:26 PM
JF - she's a sweet little girl - love your use of colour, very nice!

07-24-2011, 03:33 AM
Hi Guys,
Been hospital with Hubby, so didn't get any further than the drawing, but HOPEFULLY I can finish it BEFORE the end of the month!

I would LOVE to comment individually, but no time at the moment - HOWEVER, I will say that ALL of these are AMAZING, and each so BEAUTIFUL AND UNIQUE!!!!!! JUST LOVE DS for THIS!!!!!!

Gentle Hugs, Stacey

Margaretta
07-25-2011, 11:55 AM
Stacey, hope hubby is OK and you can get back to painting. Best wishes.:wave:

eyepaint
07-25-2011, 12:34 PM
Maureen - thank you. I agree that figures and knifework are rather incompatible at least at my present level of practice.

JFountain - lovely shape to her forearem. How was the concert?

Agnes - thank you

JFountain
07-26-2011, 09:40 AM
I really don't have time to comment on everyones work individually but I just want to say everyones work is stunning. From backrounds to the potrayal of Abby great job by everyone. Eyepaint the concert was great U2 rocked it. I will come back and comment on everyones work when I have a chance.

Margaretta
07-29-2011, 06:14 AM
A little time today to continue comments. Thank you so much for this amazing challenge.

Old Hobbyist: this really takes me back to the pictures my grandmother had on her wall...Victorian and Edwardian charm. You got it; I didn't see it! The secret was to simplify the dress pattern then the Hornel background would fit. You have created a beautiful Hornel style.

Eyepaint: You are encouraging creativity. The crackled paper is very effective as it causes movement here, especially the sea and the arm.
Amazed that you used a palette knife over the top. Super!

Reikiart: So sorry to read about your Mum but this picture denotes a beautiful time and memory. It's a very sensitive and meaningful painting. A lovely moment lives on.

J Fountain: This is very expressive and a great close-up. No doubting that is vanilla ice cream and that little girl is relishing it! Wish it were me!!

old_hobbyist
07-29-2011, 06:51 PM
Margaretta (and to all future monthly challenge presenters), several years ago, this forum had a thread called MAPS, in which a monthly challenge was posed to paint an acrylic pic in the style of a specific artist.

To me, that was a great way of researching a specific artist and then trying to force my style into that of the ITSO artist, either redoing one of his/her paintings or trying the ITSO style on a painting of my choice (or both).

I truly believe that I learned far more on MAPS about specific artists' styles and therefore about my own style than on any course whether on-line or in a formal class.

I would ask all [I]different strokes presenters to challenge us to paint the pic of the month ITSO a well-known artist.

Margaretta
07-29-2011, 07:27 PM
Yes, you are quite right, Old Hobbyist. I think the best way to learn is to study other painters and practise their methods.
I'm new to this thread and although I had good pointers and advice I got very hung up on that dress pattern which Hornel wouldn't have worried about too much. When I had done that it just didn't seem to be right to do the other parts in the looser style. It wouldn't match. I knew that I hadn't really achieved the objective but until I looked at others I just couldn't see how it could be achieved.
Next time I'll try to be less hung up on details and more on the artists methods. Learning a lot here too so.....onwards and upwards....

cfo
07-30-2011, 06:40 AM
Hi Everyone!

Well done on all the lovely entries! Agnesdale,it is truly a beautiful rendition! And so is yours,Maureen! Acrylic.is a difficult medium for me, but I gave it a try. It is now done,but this being a first for me I am not at all sure how to upload my picture. Can anyone out there plz help me? Thanx,Charri

Charlie's Mum
07-30-2011, 08:39 AM
Margaretta (and to all future monthly challenge presenters), several years ago, this forum had a thread called MAPS, in which a monthly challenge was posed to paint an acrylic pic in the style of a specific artist.

To me, that was a great way of researching a specific artist and then trying to force my style into that of the ITSO artist, either redoing one of his/her paintings or trying the ITSO style on a painting of my choice (or both).

I truly believe that I learned far more on MAPS about specific artists' styles and therefore about my own style than on any course whether on-line or in a formal class.

I would ask all [I]different strokes presenters to challenge us to paint the pic of the month ITSO a well-known artist.

Jim, we could always resurrect MAPS if it's wanted .... but we do need hosts.

That particular type of challenge lasted longer - 2 months - to give people time to study the painter and then choose a crop - or whole painting - to render in that style.
It takes time to absorb a style of another artist - and Different Strokes doesn't really give us that time.

In addition, the hosting of DS doesn't require any knowledge of other painters, so chosing a reference and participating is easier (one hopes) for those with less experience or new to painting.:)
If the host wants to add an option to paint ITSO, that's fine but is not mandatory.

I really would not like to have people discouraged from participating in DS just becasue they feel a MAPS-style challenge is too much.

By all means, if people enjoy learning about other painters and their styles, we can revive MAPS - but we will need hosts!:)

Charlie's Mum
07-30-2011, 08:44 AM
Charri - sorry you're not sure how to upload - try this .......

First make your image resize to not more than 800 pixels in any direction

Choose a resolution of 100dpi to keep the file size down

Go to a Post Reply box (not Quick Reply)

Click on the picture icon.

In the box which comes up, browse for and then submit your image file

In the window that then shows, click on your image and it will appear in your Reply Box.

Add your text - size, canvas/paper etc and anything else - then post the reply.:D

Looking forward to seeing it :D

cfo
07-30-2011, 10:29 AM
http://www.wetcanvas.com/Community/images/30-Jul-2011/220489-girl_with_buutrfly.jpg
Thanx Maureen!
I did this with acrylic on canvas board, 30cm x 40cm.

cfo
07-30-2011, 11:05 AM
Saturday afternoon, and I'm taking some time to look through all the gorgeous submissions. I can't believe that I've finally managed to rise to the challenge, and have uploaded!
I have already commented about Agnesdale and Maureen's, but would like to again say that both of you did beautiful paintings! I simply love the colours, the style and detail. Well done!
Carol, your girl looks magical with her jar of fireflies, and love your watercolour tecnique with the acrylics. It's quite a difficult medium for me.
Inky, I think Aby loves it at the seaside - a gorgeous pic that recalls nice memories!
Trevor, your Aby has a Kristy Alley look. Well done!
Dewi, very impressionistic, I like it!!
JT, what detail! Lots of patience went into this! I have none:envy:
Colleen, I think you gave Hornel an excellent go. I love the mood you captured!
OH, I love the take on the ref pic, and I love your style.
Margarette, well done! Incredible detail. Though she is quite serious, the whole picture exudes radiance.
EP, bold, strong, brave! So easily (it seems) you have captured Aby's mood of innocense!
Reiki, so sorry to read about your loss. I hope you frame this special piece of art.
JFtain, Bright, happy colours, it lifts the spirits!
Well done everyone!:clap:
Looking forward to the last minute entries, and to our next challenge!
Happy painting,Charri,:cat:

old_hobbyist
07-30-2011, 12:32 PM
Charlie's mum, MAPS had its day in the sun and so be it. I was one of the few people who responded to one of the last MAPS and so understand it died a deserved death. I did not imply that it should be resurrected.

What Agnes did was to propose a second challenge, to wit, to do the monthly challenge ITSO of a less-than-well-known artist. I had never heard of Hornel, found his style to be very unique, and frankly frustrating to interpret.

I enjoy learning how others craft their skills and so would hope that future hosts to this thread would follow the lead of Agnes. But I understand that most contributors only have the time or desire to paint the challenge and will not want to try an ITSO.

Charlie's Mum
07-30-2011, 01:39 PM
She's lovely Charri - really like the way you surrounded her with flowers. :thumbsup:

Jim - MAPS only died cos we didn't have hosts! .... it does need someone with knowledge of their chosen painter - but there's still no reason why we cannot run it whenever the need/desire is there :)

Sweeets
07-31-2011, 02:39 AM
Charri -- beautiful painting. Love the violet and green palette and the Hornel-like style of the background. Lovely face on Abby.

cfo
07-31-2011, 08:03 AM
Thanx Carol,appreciate your feedback. Happy painting,Charri

InkyEss
07-31-2011, 08:43 AM
Agnes – I love the combination of the pinks and blues in the background.
Charlies Mum – you really got that dress and I love the flowers in her hair.
Carol – love the simplicity and the glow in your painting.
Trevor – wonderful butterfly and love the dress.
Dewi – I like the combination of smooth skin and textured background.
JTM – lovely work on the dress, a nice gentle painting – I also like the cottage in the distance.
Colleen – wonderful flowers and nice light in your painting.
Oldhobbyist – i’ts great that you gave her a little friend and I really like that impressionistic background.
Margaretta – I love the colour in her face and that wonderful landscape.
Eyepaint – I really like the simplicity of this one, great work with the knife.
Reikiart – I love her hair and the muted colours. A very special painting and I hope it helps you. I know when I painted in memory of my dad although it was hard to paint at the time, it really helped me heal.
JFountain – I adore the colours in this, wonderful work.
Charri – so glad you took part. This is lovely. The flowers are very Hornel and I love the way you painted Abigail.

Thanks everyone for the nice comments on my work and thank you so much Agnes for a really great challenge! :clap:

BetGee
07-31-2011, 09:19 AM
Well, I tried. It's 5 x 7 on canvas board. Thank goodness Hornel isn't here to see this.:o I tried to paint Abigail in pastel tones but then went too dark on the background - then tried to make changes - everything went downhill from there, but it was fun trying, especially being a first for painting a figure.
http://www.wetcanvas.com/Community/images/31-Jul-2011/224764-Abigail_5x7_AC_.jpg

Thanks Agnes for the challenge

Betty

cfo
07-31-2011, 09:32 AM
Hi,Betty! Well tried on the figure,especially for the first time! Like the impressionistic style. This was definately not an easy challenge! Happy painting,hope to c everyone again next month,Charri

InkyEss
07-31-2011, 10:57 AM
Well done Betty. That's great, especially for a first figure and I love the little bunch of flowers she has picked. :thumbsup:

Charlie's Mum
07-31-2011, 11:59 AM
Well done Betty - figures are seldom easy!!! I like the setting and the dress is really good.
I had your problem too - went too dark at first and it was looking like an illustration for 'Dark Arts'!!!!! Wonderful acrylics - we can always cover errors :D

old_hobbyist
07-31-2011, 02:54 PM
Charlie's mum...

Jim - MAPS only died cos we didn't have hosts!

The MAPS for May-June 2009 featured Dali. On 21 May 2009, I posted my version of Dali's Persistence. Even tho the thread had ~1500 views, I was the only person to post anything!

I repeat, MAPS deserved to die.

Sweeets
07-31-2011, 08:34 PM
My goodness, Betty ... it's hard to believe this is your first figure! Lovely gesture and an excellent likeness to Abby. Good job!:clap: